Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Cops and FireFighters      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 canambc
Msg: 2
Cops and FireFightersPage 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Its not a Love Hate thing as I see it .. It depends on your interaction with Cops...PERIOD If 1 you had a good experance with a Cop well you tend to respect them...more If you had a bad EXP with a cop well you tend to dislike.. The Word Hate is too strong of a word in my world..

I was a Military Police for 3 yrs.. and i understand that point of View being one {{COP}} also being the ones that dislike them..
Overall Both Firemen and Police has tough Jobs and we should thank them in everyway possible because they are Our First line of Defense...

Hats off to Men in Blue and the Pyrosnuffers

Cheers
 icbc
Msg: 4
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 11/10/2005 3:58:14 PM
Cops have low intelligence. They see world in black and white. Good vs evil. Nothing more than hired thugs.
 wonkavision
Msg: 7
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 11/10/2005 4:35:51 PM
I've had a bad experience with a cop, and I've had good experiences with cops. Cops are humans subject to the same human failings as all of us. There are bad cops, and there are good cops. You should never paint with a broad brush either way. The responsibility rests largely with the institution to attract a higher caliber of person in regards to patience and ethics and to properly screen against those whose personalities are not resonant with the requirements of the job. I think there has been a lot of improvement in many major cities in this direction. It's a very demanding job, and those who execute it with efficiency, dignity and respect deserve the utmost respect in turn from the rest of the community. Those that abuse their authority, whether cop, judge or ceo, should face stringent punitive action.
 Páñ†hérrrrr64²°°¹™
Msg: 8
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 11/11/2005 9:49:19 AM
HALOKITTY:
Your assessment of physicians and surgeons is a tad harsh,... like the whole thread suggests there are arrogant folks in every walk of life but working in the medical field (and also my Dad is a Dr.) I can tell you that the arrogant/confident ones are the ones I want as my surgeon when it comes time to be cut into. Bedside manners may suck but their skills are outstanding, perhaps that extreme confidence in what you are doing is a requirement for that type of success. If one has the courage to speak their mind back to these people they usually are rewarded with respect so deserved. Correct they are NOT GOD, so let them know it but appreciate what they do, have done or may do to save lives.
 daniel102081
Msg: 10
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 11/11/2005 10:01:46 AM
I like Klo am a soon to be cop...whereas she'll be one next year, I've got 2 years before I put my foot in the door, as I want to finish college first. I have the upmost respect for all the men and women in uniform, whether the PD, fire, paremedics, or our military. They all do what they have to do to help out our citizens of this great country, whether it's taken criminals and placin them behind bars, or savin someone's life, they all do there part. God Bless them all! Oh, Klo...good luck!
 Double Cabin
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:38:07 PM
When I was blowing up timber making a line in front of the exploding Clover Mist Fire 18 years ago I had Deputy Sherrifs on both sides of me.

There is corruption is Law Enforcement. There is a whole lot of unheralded altruism too though.

Cutehuh, I've usually found law enforcement far more tolerant of others. Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges. Cuff's can machined to order for anyone these days.
 RSwindol
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Cops and Firefighters
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:51:55 PM

You have got two of the most dangerous jobs

I don't want people to think that I am being callus and that I don't appreciate what they do for society, but these jobs aren't as dangerous as people might think.

According to "CNN Money Article" by Les Christie, there fallowing jobs are statistical the most hazardous on America.

Fishers
Pilots and Navigators
Structural Metal Worker
Driver-sales worker
Roofers
Electrical installers
Farm Occupations
Construction Workers
Truck Drivers

Last year, Fox news performed a survey of what people thought was the most dangerous jobs in America was, and the two highest answers were Firefighters and Police. I would have thought that being a time of war, Military would have been in there somewhere, but it wasn't.

It just goes to show how popular opinion can be totally different from fact.
 katmeowmix
Msg: 19
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/16/2006 8:35:29 AM
Like fantasyflavor, I also admire both profession, they risked their lives saving others. Like most of the profession, their hours are terrible and days are uncertain. I have a lot of friends that are cops and fire fighters. I also volunteer for them. I also love man in uniform
 Rusty68
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 6/2/2006 6:16:05 AM
I won't touch the "hate cops" thing, but there is a difference. Firefighters are *only* there to help people. All people (good and bad). You'll never see a video of a firefighter tackling a suspect, cuffing him, and shoving him in the back of a fire truck.

In theory, the police are supposed to be there to help people also, but there's way more potential for them to do harm in the process (false arrest, unnecessary force, etc.). And then, they're also being stretched to do things that they should never be used for. Mandatory seat-belts for adults is a pet peeve of mine. Mandatory for children, I'm okay with. But I don't want/need the police telling me whether or not I can choose to take that incremental risk with my own body. They certainly shouldn't be making money off telling me not to do so. If we keep moving that direction, they'll have to station an officer at every McDonalds drive-thru to write tickets to people that eat cheese burgers and fries. (That's a risk too, right? How many heart attacks could we prevent if we started writing tickets for eating cheese burgers.)

(P.S. Don't bother telling me how great seat-belts are. I think they're great too. I wear mine. I just don't think it's appropriate to make a law requiring it.)
 RSwindol
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 6/2/2006 3:27:45 PM
Is it just me, or has this topic gotten way off subject?
 hapeenurse
Msg: 28
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 6/3/2006 3:14:42 AM
I love and respect both.
some people who don't like the police feel that way because of something that happened with one bad officer or something so they generalize the whole profession. That or they are brainwashed by the media - which as of late just *loves* to tell stories about corrupt cops.
 Ms. Smartiepants
Msg: 35
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 6/5/2006 6:30:39 PM
Yikes....I have been in TROUBLE with the law so many times that it's not even funny! I come from a line of Policemen..I am the only kid that deviated from the occupation! I also spent most of my adult life in a relationship with a man who is a fire-fighter.

Policing / Fire-fighting is not as glamorous as some people think though, most usually only see people on the worst day of their life, the luckiest day of their life, or their last day of life. From my (albit biased perspective) I know that my brothers, Dad and crazy sister , even my ex all have a fundamental belief in helping others which is also big part of me. And in the end, they are human.

It is an interesting occupation, you can't quit when it's too hard, you can't quit and leave it till morning, there is nothing too gruesome, you are there to be the best you can despite the odds and whether you know if you will succeed or not. That must be soo hard to take.

Some will do great things where some will do horrible things and some will do nothing. Some will give of themselves where others will only take and some will sit on the fence. Some will do the right thing where others will do the wrong thing and some will do nothing. Most Fire/Police personnel have seen many triumphs and tragedies over the years and have shed more than a few tears for the suffering and the circumstances. Not oo say that there aren't bad apples, but I think that they are few and far between
 brandy_n_3
Msg: 45
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/16/2008 11:36:30 AM
I respect fire fighters and cops but based on past experiences with cops hate them. Over all I find them unhelpful when you need them most (got told not to file charges after my rape when I was 19 as it was my word vs his) and twice been treated as a criminal without reason, my child was missing once and I was accused of killing him and lieing to cover it up. Another time I had to be finger printed to prove my identity for my criminal record check as someone has the same name and birthdate as me with a record. The cop was so rude, complaining about how it is easier if I just admit I am the one with the record etc. I did file a complaint and he did call with an apology when the results came back that my prints as not match to the person with a record. I respect that they have a hard job to do but don't trust or like them at all. I have yet to have a positive experience with a cop.
 oddandy
Msg: 46
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/16/2008 12:16:39 PM

Why would anyone dislike someone because of their career choices?

A lot of people dislike cops not because they chose to become cops, but because of the manner in which some people who chose to become cops choose to behave towards other people.

There are good and bad people who are cops just like there are good and bad people who are bankers, truck drivers, etc. Unfortunately, the difference is that the bad people who just happen to be cops are in more of a position to victimize others, hence the profession in general tends to get a bad name with some people.
 Vintage Princess
Msg: 50
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/16/2008 9:49:15 PM
You have to respect and admire both for what they do.
Of course cops get a bad reputation because they hand out tickets and are always the ones to restore order.
But we need them in our times of crisis just as we need police, ambulance, emergency room doctors, nurses, firemen, 911 operators...there are so many people working hard to keep the world working.
Some are seen as heros, some seen as pests, some are barely noticed at all.
We often take for granted the people that support us when we need it the most.
 867love
Msg: 54
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/16/2008 11:30:48 PM
actually the list from the top varies from insurance companies to labor statistics however, is close to this:
-fishermen -thats why lobster is sooooo expensive
-aircraft testers -(makes sense, -what about parachute testers?)
-farm workers -lassie, go get help!
-electrical linemen -not a good thing to do with a hangover
-construction -is it safe? you walk on it first!
-truck drivers -must be the truckstop food
-convenience store clerks -they should carry guns
-cab drivers -(such irony)
-pizza delivery -maybe they should ride with the cab driver
-loggers/logging industry -timber! -at least its quick
-people who dress in "barney" costumes
(cops and firefighters didn't even make the top 10)
 pfdems91
Msg: 58
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/18/2008 7:17:30 AM
Hello Jeanie...

My Sister of Flame!! You are correct, they don't take in account for all the hazards short term or long term.

FYI: to our insurance quoting friend....

Our training is never ending, we are always in classes to learn, more then just putting out fire. Building construction, electrical, haz-mat, chemical warfare, medical training, drivers training, safety training.... just to mention a few.

Each situation, rescue, fire, car accident, medical call etc etc etc... every time we respond its always different.

On average a Firefighter dies every 72 hours. Thats just line of duty deaths, that doesn't include any of the long term diseases we get from doing our job. I'm sure its not nationally known either that only 15% of the fire departments (in the US) are paid career departments, the rest are part time, paid per call, or volunteer. Volunteer departments have to depend a great deal on grants and donations from their community and other departments for equipment due to the lack of funding. Even with poor equipment or not enough equipment we will still be there, and do our best, even if it means our life.

I love what I do!! I'm honored to be a firefighter/ emt...
**Dad... thank you for inspiring me to do what was in my heart!

Stay safe everyone...
 867love
Msg: 63
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/24/2008 2:45:50 PM
gotta love having a job where you can carry a gun and an attitude.
or ride in a fire truck, carry an axe and chop down doors.
 JMars
Msg: 68
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/27/2008 3:10:39 PM
I have the utmost respect for firefighters. I mean what a cool job... you help people. Period. They are actually there at the time of the incident to help, and don't show up sometime after the fact to "clean up".

The one firefighter that I knew was a great guy, a great hsuband to his wife, and a great father to his kids. And his kids were great too... the kind of kids you want your own children to hang out with.

My feelings about police on the otherhand are mixed. I can't say that I've ever had a bad experience with police... unless you count the fact that there is never a cop around when you need one.

The cops that I have known personally have been alright guys, to me, but they do have an elitist attitude that always rubbed me the wrong way and that attitude did nothing to reinforce their encouragement to join the force myself.

I figure that most people will appreciate firefighters, but not cops, mostly because of the nature of the professions. As I said above, firefighters help people. Cops however are required to "manage" people.
 Motorhead1984
Msg: 69
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/27/2008 9:02:25 PM
I'm a Volunteer Firefighter, that's all we have in my town. I'm a Corrections Officer as well. Firefighters always seem to be the "Angel" and Cops the "Devil". All in all cops deserve the respect for their training and help to the community as well. As stated above the rookie cops can be hardasses and a little gung-ho, but it almost seems that way with any job that has ranks. The older, wiser, and more time you have on a job tends to relax a person a bit. I've been ticketed over stupid stuff like tinted windows and loud exhaust but it's my own fault since I know it was illegal to tint my windows over a certain percentage and have an exhaust system over a certain decible(sp.). Have to look at it this way you give some people an inch and others take a mile. Honestly mutual respect will get you farther in the long run. It's also cool being a firefighter as far as the things you learn in training and helping. Both things are great occupations and volunteer work but you do see your share of sad and violent things which a person outside of them wouldn't see.
 pfdems91
Msg: 73
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/31/2008 6:52:50 AM
Jeanie,

I couldn't have said that better myself... I'm a single Mom too. Stay safe my sister.

** Understanding the family of the fire service**
The family is extended even beyond your own department. Jeanie and I could travel anywhere and stay at any firehouse or the home of a fellow firefighter no questions asked. Its just the way it works. Doors are always open to each other.

Traci
 deletemyaccoutnnow
Msg: 80
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/4/2008 9:02:38 AM
Imagine the horrors that cops and firefighters must see on a daily basis. Child abuse, rape, domestic violence, death, murder, arson!!! If you get pulled over, its probably because you deserved to. I've been pulled over about 10 times in my life. I've only ever gotten 1 ticket. I always respected law enforcement/firefighters. Don't bash them, because the second you need them, they will be there for you. They are human, and put their pants on the same way you and I do. They risk their lives to make ours safer.

RIP Tracy Szoke BPD
 demon1987
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/4/2008 4:30:48 PM
Actually, statistic shows that most of the people like and respect cops. And I know there are ***holess, and I've met them too. But you should also look from their point of view. Imagine that you had to deal with all the crap that cops have to deal on the daily bases, and what if today you had something happened to you that is worse than usual, and at the end of the shift you have some wise guy complaining to you that you did something that offended him, aren't you going to snap? I go to college of criminal justice, I've taken Police Science, and I know what cups go through, and they do try to hire only those that can control their anger, but thing happen. And in the end you have to admire them because they are the ones who will protect your sorry ass, even if they have to put their life on the line, even though they might know that you hate them.
 demon1987
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/4/2008 5:26:28 PM
You have a heroic family
 RSwindol
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 7/6/2008 9:02:24 PM

Heart disease: 652,486 *** ( alot of heart related illness for firefighters on top of this.)
Cancer: 553,888 *** ( several different kinds of cancers because of our exposure to certain substances)
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 150,074 *** ( stress of job for FF )
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 121,987 ***(Among other respiratory illnesses aggravated by smoke, debri and unknown substances and exposure causes.)
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 112,012 *** ( Burns,falls, collapses in structure fires, ect)
Diabetes: 73,138
Alzheimer's disease: 65,965
Influenza/Pneumonia: 59,664 ***( smoke exposure and other inhaled substances)
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 42,480
Septicemia: 33,373*** ( this can and does happen when injuries turn infectious, which in the case of burns..it sets in fast.)

Are you kidding me? I too have all of those hazards at my job. So why are you so much better or more important than me?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Cops and FireFighters