Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jessika2908
Msg: 1
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out? Page 1 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
Recently this discussion came up with a friend of mine. He is going to take his son to the Dr. to see if he might have ADHD or ADD. Myself I can't stand to see a child on the ZOMBIE pills as I call them and I am wondering if this might be a cop out for Drs. to say well, your child has ADHD or ADD here is some pills to make him calm down, and he/she is a zombie for the rest of the day.
My best friend has 4 children 2 step and 2 biological. The 2 steps are boys and one of hers is a boy all three of them are on some kind of pill for ADHD. Her oldest 13 was just "diagnosed" being Bipolar and manic depression. He can't officially be diagnosed bipolar in till he is 18 because it could keep him out of the military or a government job. He has been on ADHD pills sense he was very young and I wonder if this has something to do with his condition now. But I just wonder if something else could have been done at that early age he wouldn't be going threw the things he is now. I might also add his step father who was on these type of pills all of his school career has also been diagnosed with bipolar and manic depression.
What do you guys think? Do you think it is a cop out either by the drs or even us as parents?
 Douglajl
Msg: 2
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?
Posted: 11/10/2005 8:22:06 PM
Personally, i think it's a cop out.

The social norm nowadays is to medicate and forget. It's a sad state of affairs.

Turn the TV off, spend the time to make the kid realise that just becouse it isn't something associated with the power rangers it still needs to be dealt with.

If the child persists in being irrational or not wanting to concentrate on the subject at hand, then bust his or her ass.
 rainbow_fish
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/10/2005 8:51:20 PM
I would read up on it... you can change the kids diet and get better results than with meds. Could just be too much sugar and boredom.
 SimbadSailor
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/10/2005 8:54:15 PM
I'd never allow my child to become a Ritalin kid. When I started to work abroad a couple of years ago, my kid had to stay with my mom (my wife died when he was 1 year old) and he ran all the time, broke things, tantrums, etc. The psychologist said he should start with Ritalin. and, when she said no way, the doc said that she could be get in trouble with CPS, because it was mandatory treatment. When my mom phoned me with the news, I left everything and came back to bring him with me to Colombia.

Down there, we went to a real psychologist. The prognosis: not only normal, but clearly gifted, and in his opinion, US psychologist diplomas are useful as toilet paper, and little else. Since then, we have lived alone, and he's the smartest kid ever. And since CPS claws did not reach Colombia, he never took the drug.

Just a mixture of love, discipline and father hugs.
 jessika2908
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/10/2005 8:55:47 PM
You know I read that too, I think Drs are just too quick to medicate the problem. My daughter was showing signs of being way to hyper. I took her off sugar, ok she was allowed a little bit but we cut her down to maybe a piece every other day and she chilled out a lot. Now tonight she had a soccer ceramony and she had all kinds of sweets she was a wild child.

Kudos to you Simbad and to your son. I didn't know it was mandatory though!! That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard!! I can't believe a Dr can make your child take something like that!!!
 ShadowKnight59
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2005 9:22:26 PM
Treatment isn't mandatory. ADD/ADHD is also real.

True diet and environment can make a big difference but all too often those changes aren't enough for some kids.

Ritalin is a drug that is considered a last resort one.

I suggest you read up on the topic before spouting nonsense that shows a clear lack of knowledge and is insulting to those with ADD/ADHD and/or have children who are as well.

Kevin
 wonwascallywabbit
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/10/2005 9:43:58 PM
I truly believe both of these disorders are quite real, however I very much believe that the larger percentage of children diagnosed with this do not have it. I think many, many children are medicated out of convenience. A large percentage of these kids are simply ill manored and have never been taught acceptable behavior. Sadly some think medication is a good replacement for parenting. The flip side is there are some children that truly need and benefit from meds. As much as I detest the lousy parents, I really feel for those who's children really suffer from these problems.
 jessika2908
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/10/2005 9:46:08 PM
^^^^ I agree with you lynx. I feel for the children that do have this, and feel sorry for the ones that are being medicated for something that would be easier to change there diet.

How was I spouting Nonsense? I was voicing my opinion on something and I never said I had a great deal of KNOWLEGE on the subject. Just things that I have seen!!! And for your information I NEVER said it wasn't real. I just simply said I don't like to see kids on Zombie pills and have seen bad effects from them. If you read up on Ritilin it can have bad side effects to it if taken for a long time!!!
And for your information I was considered a ADHD child, I would sleep only 2 hours a night and would not take naps during the day. My mom had to install a lock on the outside of my door so she would be able to get some rest!! The Dr talked about putting me on Meds and she took me to another DR and she suggested that they take me off all sugars and come to find out I was alergic to some kind of red die and that caused a lot of my hyperness, and made it seem like I was ADHD. I just think that Drs should look more in to things like diet, enviroment and even bordum!! And elimate all possible things before they are quick to put them on pills. That is what I was saying!
I suggest you keep your flames to yourself before it burns your butt!! I was not insulting anyone nor did I mean for this to insult anyone but I have seen too many cases where Drs. are quick to give someone pills before all the other options are weighed!!!
 snowwolf13
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/10/2005 10:02:38 PM
I had my child extensively tested before I put him on any drugs. His grades improved and he actually liked going to school. He would take his meds on his own when he was in the first grade.

He's now 13 and doesn't need the meds anymore. He's apparently grown out of the problem.
 jessika2908
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/10/2005 10:09:34 PM
That is wonderful Snow. I am so glad that you did everything you could before he was medicated! I am glad that he doesn't have to take them anymore too. Congrats to the both of you!!
 time2spare
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/10/2005 11:45:25 PM
Such a touchy subject because both disorders do exist and yes a teacher says, "Not paying attention, not doing homework, not participating, etc." Next thing you know it's morning med time. These children sit and play X Box for hours or watch TV or go places we'd never think of going on the PC, yet in school 20 minutes is an eternity and hyperactivity gets attention. I have seen a child disrupt an entire household at having to do one page of math problems and then go upstairs and put together a Lego battleship with 2000 pieces in 2 hrs. True attention and hyperactivity problems manifest themselves in a wide range of social settings not just in a classroom. Look carefully before using meds and if you have to, work towards the day you no longer will. These kids with real problems usually come to you and know they are broken and need you to help fix them.
 leafslady
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/10/2005 11:57:33 PM
Time..nice to see you!
My son had ADHD..extensive testing ,for a couple of years,including allergy testing...and ,yes,he took Ritalin.
It was a last resort,and ,although I wasn't thrilled about medicating my child,the turnaround was remarkable.
I went from being told that my son needed to be in a behavioural school,to having him score through the roof in provincial aptitude testing ( top 2 % in the province).
And,I let him make up his mind,at 12 years old,that he wasn't going to use Ritalin anymore.
A bit of a struggle for a while,but he had pretty much outgrown it by then.
He's a second year university student now..extremely well-adjusted,and doing fine.
 am70sguy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2005 12:45:46 AM
lyny summarized everything well. To add to the problem, many school administators will attempt to force parents into medicating their children, making the diagnosis on their own.

I'm about as anti drug as they come, and tried every trick to structuring, simplifying instructions, etc., etc. But when my kid (oldest, now 25) was getting kicked out of class for continuously disrupting it (and he is a good kid, he just absolutely could not sit still or quiet), after seeing a psychiatrist that when through the DSM had to agree to do the ritilan, which at least gave him a fighting chance.

He's great now that he is out of school and can focus where his interests and talents lay.
 time2spare
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/11/2005 1:04:14 AM
Great to see you too Leafs and with a mother's love and understanding, your son got the perfect help he needed. Well done! Pretty much the same story for 2 of my kids.
 artandsoul
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/11/2005 4:50:33 AM
Between the drug companies, the doctors whose offices are furnished by them and who go to medical schools financed by them, and a gullible public who believe the latest ever changing theories that currently pass for scientific knowledge, it's a wonder we aren't all on some kind of drug!

I'm with Dr. Phil who says, "when I was growing up, they called kids who acted up brats -- we didn't get put on drugs; we got disciplined." This generation of doctors is using the generation of kids coming up now as guinea pigs. Let's hope Ritalin and other drugs like it don't become a new Thalidomide.

Just Say No -- to the doctors, the drugs and, when it's needed, the kids!
 jessika2908
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/11/2005 5:23:41 AM
Hey nicegirl that is exactly what I was saying when I was a kid on Dr said I was ADHD and the other one took the time to find out if there was any underlying things going on too. Come to find out it was a food allergy. Simple change of diet and I was good to go. Same way with my daughter. I am not saying ADHD isn't a real thing but I am saying do everything possible before your children have to take pills. Now they are even saying adults have this and I have seen drug comercials preaching about getting on something to help. "SAME MAKERS OF PROZAC"!!! Go figure.
 *Tee*
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/11/2005 6:34:30 AM
This is a touchy subject for me....I had a teacher tell me that my son should be on ridillin for ADD. I told her I was against putting my child on any medication, because in his case, he wasn't focusing well because he didn't understand the work! To prove my point, I brought my son to 2 different pediatricians to have him tested, and both said there was no indication he had ADD. I had to bring this in as proof so that she would stop insisting, I should have reported her. NO child needs to be on medication, unless its a severe case. in certain cases it might be helpfull and needed, but...I always say, look for an alternative before you make a hasty decision and put a child on medication, when its not really needed. Like I said, sometimes a learning disability can be mistaken as ADD, when all thats really needed is a modified program for the child.
 GreeneyedMisfit
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/11/2005 8:43:04 AM
well, I work at a school for learning disabled kids..

And spend one day in our school and I can show you ADD and ADHD without any underlying problems. We have kids who exemplify the disagnosis..

Does public school want more kids diagnosed to make their jobs easier? Absolutely.
Are parents always to blame for their children's behavior .. NOPE..
Good parents can have kids out of control.. good parents can struggle mightily with their kids problems.. Doesn't mean they weren't good parents.

I have an 18 year old disabled daughter (developmentally delayed), until she was 10 she was on Ritalin for supposed ADHD, well, truthfully she does have a very short attention span similar to that of an 8-10 year old. Well, that's cause developmentally that's where she is.
she can't and won't ever have the focus of an adult not with allthe drugs in the world.

My son is LD.. due to being born severely axphyxiated because my uterus ruptured on an old C-section scar and his arm and shoulder came out of the womb and he couldn't get out the birth canal. Graphic .. soryy? Anyways, he has brain damaage .. We know it, we knew it then. How does it present... in a learning disablity and a speech and langugage thing.. Sometimes I think some of his behavior troubles are linked to that.

Is he ADHD.. not on your life.. Does he present just like a child with ADHD.. YUP..

So Doctors can only do what they can.. they can't fix every problem and they can't tell sometimes exactly what the problem is.

But I was ADHD and medicated for a bit as a child.. I have an IQ of 140 and spent more time in the hallway at school than I ever did in a classroom. As an adult, I consider ADHD to make me a great mulit-tasker.. but it does affect me still. I have a university degree and yes, sometimes adolescence makes the problem go away.

But this problem isn't fictitious.. if theres a suspicion get the child tested. A doc actually does testing..
 SimbadSailor
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/11/2005 9:35:05 AM
Sometimes, I think these things are just a copout, an excuse. "It's not that I suck as a mother, it's because he has ADHD". "It's not that I can't teach worth a damn, is because the children are hyper". Of course, it's good for parents and teachers egos.

This is a touchy subject for me....I had a teacher tell me that my son should be on ridillin for ADD.

Just remember: Teachers, school counsellors or school nurses are NOT qualified to diagnose anything. The most they can do is recommend to take your child to a specialized physician. If one of them tells you that your kid needs to take drugs, or implies somehow that you are failing as a parent because you don't want to drug them, you are fully within your rights if you tell them that, if they dare to diagnose or recommend such things to your child again, you will press criminal charges against them by practicing medicine without license.
 EdmJewel
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/11/2005 12:01:53 PM
I have an ADD/ADHD child who also has ODD....and yes he is on medication.

I don't feel it's a slam against my parenting skills whatsoever. Truth be known, the meds he is taking makes our house a whole lot happier.

I did take him to several Dr.'s before any treatment was decided upon. And the drug he is taking does not turn him into a zombie, that certainly isn't what kind of help I was seeking.

I would think in any case, the parents are doing what is best for their child and shouldn't be judged.
 DV847L
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/11/2005 12:24:42 PM
complete cop out, I was diagnosed with it, I tried the medication, made me feel like a zombie, wiped out my personality, I stopped taking it after trying it for a week, definetely not worth it, sure I got into a lot of trouble, kicked out of schools, but not because I was diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, told my parents I would eventually grow up and things would change, my last year in high school....I decided it was time to grow up, finished with an 85 average got accepted to every university I applied for, hmmmmm, doctors told me without my medication that would never happen, I've never taken one pill since and now I'm a successful university student about to start my own small company......ADD ADHD is nothing but a kid who has a lot of energy which is not a big deal, proper parenting can counter that, or harness that energy and turn it into a good thing.
 ShadowKnight59
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2005 12:26:08 PM
Being a parent with ADD/ADHD combined form and having a son who is the same way we tried all the alternatives first as well as multiple doctors and testing prior to any meds. My son is on the lowest does of Adderall XR for his age and weight group.

I am a medium dose for an adult my size. In both cases the meds are only used as needed and it doesn't make either of us Zombies.

I will agree however that there are cases out there where kids are over medicated and non-parented. I will also agree that often times what appears to be ADD/ADHD can be due to food allergies, wheat and red dyes come to mind as major culprits. Todays lifestyle with a kid not having time with parents or a schedule also is a contributing factor. But when you have done for your children and yourself all you can do then sometimes there is nothing left other than meds. Meds are always a last resort.

I would think in any case, the parents are doing what is best for their child and shouldn't be judged.

I couldn't agree more on many levels. It isn't necessarily lazy parents. If I had to guess at a culprit I would look at all of the pollutant combinations we are exposed to on a daily basis and the western industrialized diets.

Kevin
 yyc_f_75
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/11/2005 2:51:04 PM
Hey every one , Im single mom and i have a 7 year old son who is on medication called concerta (form of ritilin). I for one am not lazy, my son is an active normal 7 year old .. now.
When they told me when he was 5 that he is ADHD i told the Dr right where to go and how to get there and refused to hear other wise. but when he started school he went through ECS with great difficulty.. not that he was a BAD kid but he had problems comprehending what the teacher was saying there for he became frustrated and started to become aggressive with the other children, that whole ECS year was spent with psychologists, counselors, social workers, and the principles office. He was asked to leave that school and be in a special "behavioral" class with only 8 children at a school across the city. At first I thought you guys don't know what the H*LL your talking about, but it was the best thing for him . The first year, his grade 1 year, was tough on him even thou it was one on one interaction. His teacher and I both decided no meds as she really wanted to get to know my son for who he really is. By the end of his gr 1 school year he was a tired, frustrated little boy who was trying so desperately to be liked by everyone else but couldn't. So i did more research and decided to try the medication, he's been on it since August and is a completely different child.. well he's still my little boy but he is able to sit long enough to listen and comprehend what the teacher and my self ask of him, he is in Gr 2 now, and still has his off days as any normal 7 year old but he's excels in his academics and has many friends, he will be on this till he's at least 18.
This medication gives him the ability to think out his problems and make the best decision possible. In the long run this helps assist him in choosing the right path rather then feeling like an outcast and choosing a path that would lead him to no where, which was the path his father had chosen. Doing the reasearch i relized his father and I are both ADD but in very different ways, and given the the chance when we were younger to be on these meds our lives would be compleatly different now.. We would probably still be together.
Anyways try not to judge it to much they have made a huge difference in so many childrens lives there are so many different kinds out there and every child is different and will respond in a different way.
Sorry for my babble....Good Luck!!

YYC
 GreeneyedMisfit
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/11/2005 3:45:25 PM
Hey, if its a cop out.. to dv874.. does that mean your parents were bad parents???
 artandsoul
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/12/2005 2:08:34 AM
Doctors ... I go to them when I have to and they are good for some things like fixing broken bones ... but the way they're routinely drugging our kids is a bloody disgrace and one day there will be hell to pay.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?