Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Opening doors for a woman..... WHY?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arri
Msg: 31
Opening doors for a woman..... WHY?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I think Chivalry is on the come back.

If you try to act a little more like a gentleman, perhaps learn some table manners and some social skills, you might improve on your dating prospects.
 gnight
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Opening doors for a woman..... WHY?
Posted: 11/10/2005 9:18:36 PM
Why is this an issue?

Any act of kindness and good manners should not be looked down on.

Those that don't like it, Thats their problem. Don't make it yours.

I have to look at myself in the morning and will be true to myself.

Funny but young woman hate it when I call them mamm. I do it out of respect. As long as your motives are prue who cares what others think.

Yes, I've dated woman who didn't know what to do when I opened a door for them. I've found those that have issues with it will not get along with me in other areas.

I'm lucky to have friends that who evers first to the door will hold a door open for anyone, including me. I do thank them as they thank me.

Good manners never go out of style.

Relax, Smile and accept them for where they are in life and feel good about yourself.
 SilverSeven
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2005 10:52:05 PM
A long ago ex of mine once pointed out that I automatically paused slightly when approaching a door with him to allow him time to open it for me, and I was astonished! I never even noticed I did it but he did because he said he liked the fact that I did it so unconsciously. I suppose it stems from my upbringing and being taught simple courtesy steps, such as saying "please" and "thank you" and standing up when being introduced to someone. If I'm with someone to whom I wish to show respect, I'll open the door for them, and even if a stranger breezes through a door I'm holding without so much as a glance, I still have the knowledge that I'm well mannered enough to hold that door.
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2005 11:37:35 PM
If I'm first to get to the door, I open it! I also say thanks to anyone who opens a door for me! : ) That's just the polite, respectful thing to do...... : )
 am70sguy
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2005 11:48:07 PM
I do the door thing if they let me. Just common courtesy. And always a good excuse to sneak in a shot of the ass.
 Tinkle
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/11/2005 5:35:13 AM
Whoever gets to the door first, or can reach the handle easiest.

I just saw Ray Ramono or whatever do a bit on the way guys open the door for guys. He called it the flip, noticing how we might hold it for a women, but only get it started for another man.

Actually I hold the door til they grab hold of it. If they don't I remain holding it til whoever is through.

Psst, girls. U know guys are checking out your asses (if u have more than one) when they hold doors open for you right? Chivalry divelry c o c k . U men need to be a dog like me. We don't have to hide checking out butts. We great each other that way. Sniffle-sniff...
 cuter_than_anyone
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/11/2005 8:11:08 AM
oh lord.

i open doors for people all the time. man or woman! especially if their hands are full

a few more ettiquette rules for the slow ones:

off before on when exiting/entering an elevator

when someone says pass the salt, never divorce the salt and pepper, pass both

when going out to eat the lady follows the host/hostess to the table the man brings up the rear

it's rude (in my opinion) not to say bless you when someone sneezes

jesus, people kill me
 cuter_than_anyone
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/11/2005 8:19:12 AM
it's ignorant. i'll bet today at work i hold a door open for no less than 10 people and the same will be done for me.

MOST people do hold the door open.
 passionteman
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/11/2005 9:20:11 PM
I just simply love ladies and I am gonna open the door for them. They are like beautiful flowers.
 BlackSkirtGirl
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/11/2005 9:29:37 PM
I'll hold the door open if I get to it first, but I'm not going to try to reach every door just to make sure I open it for her. Women are humans capable of opening doors, if not they shouldn't use them. And any women that has a haughty attitude thinking that just because she has a vagina that she should be treated "as a lady" will be treated with a swift goodbye. If someone wants me to act "chivalrous", then they should act like a lady by shutting up and doing as I say. Not to say that's what I want, but if we're going to force archiac standards upon genders, lets be fair about it.
 Holly_Golightly
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/12/2005 11:50:12 PM
Why? It's chilvary in the simplest form, gentlemen were brought up with basic social etiquette. It doesn't cost much.

Has modern living has taken away part of traditional gentlemanly way. *Sigh* I hope nobody should think so hard about opening doors for a lady. Even if she thinks a man may have to run ahead of her just to get the door, she may think he's really sweet...bonus points for that effort. If she thinks otherwise, perhaps, she is no different from someone who thinks that it really makes no sense to let someone open the door for her. :D, use some common sense, check the distance to the door, hahaha..

My two cents ..... or sense, say if you honour your lady, she's likely to give you offer you the same respect. I hope one bad experience wouldn't stop any man from being less chilvarious.

Frrosty
Msg: 94
Posted: 11/13/2005 12:03:56 AM
I do it so I have a great excuse to check her as* out in full gaze.

KISS_MA_BUTT
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/14/2005 8:13:58 AM
b/c i'm hawt! u shud!
 YamIhere
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2005 12:36:29 PM

b/c i'm hawt! u shud!

I actually do open doors for women - kicked in the balls or not. It's just how I was raised. But that statement^^^ has me thinking twice about the whole damn practice.
 Synical
Msg: 102
Posted: 11/14/2005 12:39:18 PM
I'm one of the mouthiest and most stubborn people I know when it comes to female independance ... and even I think its sweet when a man opens the door for me. It doesn't show that I'm weaker than he is, it shows he's being courteous and respectful. Chivalry is only dead if you want it to be.
 Synical
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/14/2005 12:48:43 PM
One other thing ... someone said earlier that women are more than capable of opening their own doors. Yes, we are. But it goes both ways. I do little things for the man in my life to show the same respect, or just to be sweet .. whether its having coffee ready when he gets up in the morning, forcing myself to watch a show I hate and smile about it because I know he likes it, or getting up and cooking his favorite foods even when I'm sick and the thought of eating makes me sick to my stomach.

The best relationship advice (or any advice for that matter) I ever heard was from a psychologist who said that every person should wake up each day and think to themselves what they could do that day to make the other persons life easier. If both people have that mentality, only good can come of it.

If opening a door for someone makes them feel respected, or romanced, or even acknowledged, then the 2 seconds it takes to do it can't hurt.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2005 12:57:50 PM
Doors are one of the greatest metaphors of life. If we can't hold them open for ANYONE I would guess some proverbial doors will be quite hard to open when the time comes.
 Frrosty
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/14/2005 7:07:20 PM
This Knight in Shining Armor is going to pipe in here. What most people seem to forget about chivilry is that not only does it make the lady feel good but the man who opens that door as well, and vise -versa. To feel appreciated and respected is very sexy. I had a thread going on this (Hi Blaskist! How are you my dear beautiful lady?) as wel and the respones to my question were 99% postive that chivilry in all its forms is still important and appreciated. And as long as Desert Serenade is around chivilry will live on.

PLus you get to check their as&.

When I was young my brother and I would always fight with each other to see who could open the door for Mom first.

My cousin, (like a brother), and I also angle and jockey to see who gets to be the "goodest good boy" in the house. Ass kissing? SURE!! Does it make the ladies in our family feel good and have an easier more sunny day? ;) (You betcha) [same in restaurants].

If opening a door for someone makes them feel respected, or romanced, or even acknowledged, then the 2 seconds it takes to do it can't hurt

PLUS..um..*cough*..you know..

YOu get to check her as* out well
 urgentpython
Msg: 111
Posted: 11/20/2005 5:53:21 PM
Opening doors for everyone is just plain nice...I'm from Texas and at 26 my momma would whip my but if she saw that i didnt do it I guess we're different in the south jeremy
 carribeanking7
Msg: 118
Posted: 11/21/2005 12:05:14 AM
I opened a window once to let her in....

does that count..........

crystalise
Msg: 121
Posted: 11/21/2005 3:30:35 AM
I just think its politeness. To answer another post on here, no I certainly wouldnt be offended or kick a guys anything if they were to open a door for me. I would thank him !!

On the other hand I couldnt care less if they didnt either. I like to hold doors open for people too. If I get there first and they are people exiting, eg office buildings, restaurants I would hold it for them to pass before I went in. These days I just dont see it as male role. But I sure think its nice when they do
 passionteman
Msg: 123
Posted: 11/21/2005 9:57:21 AM
Gotta LOVE ladies. They are the best of all creations. So I am gonna open the door for them for sure as I always do!!!
 aznjoe
Msg: 128
Posted: 11/24/2005 2:24:33 PM
Maybe it's just opening one door will lead you to other open doors in your relationship. And yeah you know which one you want opened. *laughs* Besides you ever heard a girl tell you it's the little things that count well this is one of them besides it doesn't cost you anything to open a door and if it hurts your arms go work out alittle. About being weak you would be weak to lose a woman to such a small gesture of kindness.
 Thudpucker
Msg: 138
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:25:18 AM
Some ponder opening doors for women and begrudgingly ask “Why?”
I, most assuredly, consider opening doors for women and say “Why not?”
 sddude
Msg: 143
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:36:43 AM
I wish women opened doors for me , fondled me and grabbed my butt as I past her , I get no respect .
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Opening doors for a woman..... WHY?