Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Morality....given or learned ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Morality....given or learned ?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Good idea for a thread J-roc. C.S. Lewis' full argument on this can be found in his book "Mere Christianity". I think if more Christians thought like Lewis, people would probably like us more.

Anyways, we got into this debate some time back. There were some who thought that we are not born with any morals, and that there was no such thing as right and wrong, just choices which are neither good or bad. For some reason they would not answer my question if child molesters were neither right or wrong in their actions......
 wonkavision
Msg: 15
Morality....given or learned ?
Posted: 11/15/2005 10:30:11 PM
"Lewis concludes that “if your moral ideas can be truer, and those of the Nazis less true, there must be something - some Real Morality - for them to be true about.”"

Lewis was a brilliant children's author, but his logic is flawed. The atrocities of the Nazis did not resonate with the predominant moral paradigm in the twentieth century, so they seem especially unconscionable, but it is not at all unusual in terms of human history. Many historical atrocities seem more pronounced in modern hindsight than they necessarily did at the time, so his choice of an example is especially emotive. Let's use a hypothetical example that is less morally clear cut- infanticide in cultures with severely limited resources. In a situation where overpopulation would result in more deaths than selective thinning, what is the absolute morality that Lewis suggests exists? Lewis is using an emotional example that easily lends itself to a clear cut moral decision (at least clear cut to our moral paradigm.) Lewis' argument basically boils down to the old flawed axiom that goes back as far as Plato, maybe earlier, "if we can conceive of it, it must exist in some absolute form." Frankly I think that outlook underestimates the subtlety and efficacy of the human brain, and it's ability to construct abstractions. Where is the logic in the notion that if we can compare two or more actions against one another and determine one more morally sound than another that some absolute morality must therefore exist? It doesn't even logically follow.
 RDtoo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2005 10:48:29 PM
Actually we do not know what Lewis' complete premise was from this sentence as this was someone restating (parts?) of the original.
 forumschick
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2011 12:16:20 PM

I think this suggests that God wants man to be at the top and women below.

Genesis 3:16
16Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

If you read the above verse in context, you will understand that God is punishing Eve for the sin they both committed. Adam had gotten his already I believe...

I still don't see how the above would make God sexist?...
Posted: 4/1/2013 4:18:32 PM
I think this is a good thread per the op statement/question, but it's in the religion forums and so might not be seen by many.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Morality....given or learned ?