Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 markus
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraudPage 1 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
Match.com and yahoo personals are being taken to court. What will probably get the most traction is the allegations that sites sent out fake winks, and that sites send out fake emails right before you decide to buy a subscription or right after you decide to renew. These are also the feelings users expressed in the following thread before news of these suits broke. http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts2347099.aspx

Class action ---> http://www.worklaw.cc

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/367167p-312443c.html

Evans alleges that Match.com employees identify customers whose subscriptions are about to lapse and send them "winks" - a way users show interest in each other - and scripted E-mails.
The suit alleges snooping employees read customers' E-mails to each other and use the information "to make themselves appear to be the 'perfect match' to that person."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4451606.stm

A separate lawsuit filed in San Jose accuses the online dating service of internet giant Yahoo of breach of contract, fraud and unfair trade practices.

It has been brought by a Florida man who accuses the company of posting profiles of fictitious potential clients on its website to give the impression, he says, that it has more single people on its books than is really the case

Both of these suits seek class action status, what do you think?
 frankiethepunk
Msg: 2
Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:38:34 PM
Why am I not surprised? Ya gotta take a pinch of salt with any of these dating sites. In the case of the pay sites a few shovels full. As far as I can see the only "real" site is POF. Anytime there's money involved there's bound to be hanky panky. And I'd bet the victims were all guys huh? Big surprise there.
 neillowe
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:40:20 PM
...wouldn't surprise me any. Seems as though I too would receive many emails/winks/flirts right after I dropped the subscription.
 iluvmonkeys2
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:40:51 PM
i think it's about d*mn time someone filed suit! good for them. how horrid that they prey on people's hope, dreams, & emotions just to make a buck! thank god for POF. i hope we all realize how lucky we are to be here, to have this site and not have to worry about that or pay a ridiculous fee just to contact mr./ms. maybe...
 jimbojim1099
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:41:14 PM
i thinck most dating sites do this thay did get caught i thinck thay should have to repay everyone and pay damages
 Duzntgetanyfiner
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:41:22 PM
I believe it....I had an ad on match.com awhile ago...took it off because they were censoring mail between me and other match.com customers. This was determined by the fact that the paying members that contacted me would send a message with their contact information and match.com would edit the contact information to say "joesmith@talkmatch.com" or something of that nature instead of what the person really wrote i.e. "joesmith@hotmail.com".

I figured something was "not quite right" when I tried to send a couple of messages to their legal department asking if they were allowed to do that type of thing only to have the emails returned as undeliverable. I kept those emails.

Needless to say, I removed my profile from that site and have not used it since.

POF ROCKS!!

JustFwed
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:42:44 PM
I want my money back.......period
 Crane Man
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:43:37 PM
I also wondered that about Lavalife as I found that I joined a few times and each time I was sent smiles and after a couple of conversations the person was no loger interested.
Be curious to see what happens
 AnonymousMe
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:43:44 PM
I think I've been nailed with that tactic before from those sites and others I'd rather not mention. Usually it's right after you updated your subscription you find yourself saying ummm... was I just taken? I guess that's one of the reasons I don't bother anymore.
 I am
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:47:16 PM
whats the bet most of the paying sites use fraudulant tactics and fake profiles to illegaly lure money from people.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:52:23 PM
I believe it....I had an ad on match.com awhile ago...took it off because they were censoring mail between me and other match.com customers. This was determined by the fact that the paying members that contacted me would send a message with their contact information and match.com would edit the contact information to say "joesmith@talkmatch.com" or something of that nature instead of what the person really wrote i.e. "joesmith@hotmail.com".

I figured something was "not quite right" when I tried to send a couple of messages to their legal department asking if they were allowed to do that type of thing only to have the emails returned as undeliverable. I kept those emails.

Wildly, were you a non-paid member? They do that so people can't get around paying the subscription to use the service. Personally, I think yahoo stinks, they kept sending me matches that were 20% compatible, then a week later they would send the same matches and say we were 80% compatible or something similar. POF is great!
 11dave11
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:53:36 PM
This happens with True.com. I have recieved hundreds of winks and e-mails from "other users" that were "interested" only to find out after contacting them that the had sent NO wink or message to me and had NO interest in contacting me.

I have sent many complaints to true.com only to get an AUTOMATED responce. I heard nothing further.

Someone needs to add a class action against TRUE.com also I believe that they ARE the worst at these sneaky practices. They do this in order to "trick" you in to subscribing so you can reply to that person. Then you find out that the person never winked or e-mailed you or ever attempted to contact you.

Also, in there "who has viewed my profile" users that have not logged on in over 6 months. I have done alot of digging earlier this year when I realized what was being done. I actually paid for a subscription in order to contact users and find out if they had contacted me or winked at me.

Has anyone else had this issue with TRUE.com?
 I am
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:55:00 PM
the only singles sites one can trust are the free sites like our friends here at Plenty of Fish etc, but then fake profiles are also used on these sites, not by the website, but by shady internet users and insincere men and women seeking attention or scamming money in other ways.
 Onehelluvawoman
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:56:36 PM
Wow...that is just deplorable!!! I work for a large aggressive sales company that bombards its customers with mail and phone calls in order to generate business. While these practises are annoying to the customer, it in no way misleads them. They are constantly, in their effort of trying to stay ahead of the competition, coming up with new ways, that border on ethical, to generate business. However, they do stay within the boundaries. Many companies in this day and age are of a similar mindset.

Seems this mindset is in place with Match and Yahoo. And by all means...these companies have reason to worry...reason to try and stay competitive...as their are more and more online dating services popping up everywhere. (POF being the best one I have ever been on...and trust me..I have tried mannnnny).

Anyway, what is disturbing about this....is I believe that story to be true. It would not surprise me in the least if these companies, did in fact resort to such tactics. After what I have seen my company do, I would not be surprised in the slightest if there was some validity if not entire truth to these claims.

What is sad about this....is now perfectly legitimate sites are going to be scrutinized by the public in their fear that another site could well be doing the same thing to people...just not gotten caught yet. What is worse, is that these companies, in order to try and make a few extra bucks...have USED people....played with their hearts...not just their wallets. This isnt just about money...this is about giving people false hope...potentially hurting a fellow human being. I am SICK at just the thought of this!!!

If these allegations end up being true....I hope they fry those companies into the ground and are forced to at the VERY least, financially compensate any person that they have used for their gain.
 dashance
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:57:11 PM
How much memory do you think it'd take to do a whats that word again? List of all complainants,... I'd get on,... and it won't be a band wagon! Who'd want to admit being in the boat unless they really are? Isn't that what these pay sites are counting on? Kudo's to those that started the class actions,... "we'd" like like to help.... how can we?
 Dodgerovitch
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:58:33 PM
the only reason i've joined the yahoo personals is so that i could sign up for local email groups, Florida Singles in my case. Match.com or similar i wouldnt even bother with as i already know what to expect from them. and of course POF beats them all hands down, it is the only non-fradulent site out there from what i gather so far.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:59:15 PM
We can help by protesting! No more pay for love! No more pay for love! Hell no, we won't go!
 sarcasticgeek
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:59:43 PM
Oh I always suspected this about Yahoo. My experience was the one where my subscription would be about over and I'd suddenly get a few e-mails or winks to get me to stay. The other thing is that send me a couple of winks as soon as I make my profile searchable (I go back and forth between hidden and unhidden every so often). And of course those people never wind up giving me any contact info so it goes nowhere. I would say I'm really pissed about it now, but really it didn't ruin my life or anything lol. But I won't be sending them another dime, that's for sure. Hopefully all us suckers will get some sort of small refund out of it.
 sweetness30721
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/19/2005 5:00:21 PM
Personally, I always thought that it was wrong to make 2 people pay to match. Think about it... What if you would have matched with a person that only had a free subscription (which is totally usless anyway), but you couldn't find out because the "free" member cannot reply to any of your messages. So Yahoo Personals, Match.com, or whomever gets paid twice; you and your match. Just not right!
 sk65
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/19/2005 5:00:33 PM
this happened to me on a couple of occasions with yahoo. the second time i wrote them a nasty letter. i know they dont care, but telling them where to stick made me feel better. lol
 happygal_28
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 5:01:01 PM
You have to read that fine print with true. The same thing happened to me and I wasn't even a paid member! There is a little box that you have to UN check when you are signing up, otherwise they also send winks to other people they claim are FROM YOU. I caught the whole thing quickly when I investigated why more than 10 winks went out from my account all at once on a day when I was at work! Also, the ONLY wasy to unsubscribe from true is by PHONE! What's up with that???
 _Pure_XTC_
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/19/2005 5:01:59 PM
This is just one issue with Yahoo.

Yahoo Personals charges a fee to use their services. These services can ONLY be billed to a major credit card. You need to build a Yahoo wallet under your username and account and store your FULL name, address, phone number and credit card information.

I will NOT list programs and please don't bother to ask me but there is many many programs out there designed to work with Yahoo to steal massive number of yahoo accounts by generating passwords.

Acording to Yahoo, If your account gets stolen that is YOUR problem! They refuse to offer support for a free service. Now how can it be concidered a free service when you pay a monthly fee???

Acording to Yahoo's head office in Sunnyvale California The paid services were not accessed (they never use the words hacked or stolen) but in fact the services that were accessed is your username which is a free service to all.

So because of lack of security someone on the net has all your personal information including your full name, address, phone number and credit information and thanks to their wonderful customer service you still get billed monthly, quartly or yearly because you can not access your account to unsubscribe to the services.

Now this is not some small isolated problem. Yahoo averages 75,000 E-Mails a month alone just in regards to this type of theft and abuse. There is some users who brag about the number of accounts they steal a day. Some average more than 1,000 accounts per day they crack the passwords to and take ownership of.

Yahoo has more serious issues than the one Admin mentioned or I mentioned and it will continue until governments start finding major sites like Yahoo responsible. No wonder Yahoo can brag they make $750 Million every quarter (every 3 months) in proffits.
 pickup_man
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/19/2005 5:05:11 PM
i don't think that it is a pinch of salt that they are shoveling, but something else, if you know what i mean ??
 Duzntgetanyfiner
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 5:09:03 PM
Wildly, were you a non-paid member?

I was, but that's not the point...the member contacting me was a paid member...no different than a lot of the sites out there. Member status aside, it should not matter to anyone other than the person sending the mail and the person receiving it what the content is. Last time I heard, reading mail not intended for you and on top of that changing the contents before allowing the intended recipient to receive it is against the law.

And why did the emails I sent to the legal department at match.com get returned to me as "undeliverable"??? Clearly something shady going on.

HumanBean
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/19/2005 5:11:09 PM
Agreed......this is something that should've happened a while ago. I've been at Match.com, and Yahoo...and True... and Eharmony...(gee, I look desperate, don't I? In my defense, I wasn't with all of them at the same time)

Same scenario each time...winks galore when my membership was due; and I am no longer a member of any of those sites except or True, and I've called them more than once to remove my profile. I've been promised that they will remove it, but they haven't yet.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Class action against Yahoo Personals and Match.com for fraud