Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > are they the one?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rickyb18
Msg: 1
are they the one?Page 1 of 1    
how can you tell if your significant other is the one, instead of just an infatuation?
 Not just a member
Msg: 2
are they the one?
Posted: 11/21/2005 7:09:42 PM
Only time will give you an answer to this question. Stick with it and see what happens.
 loving lass
Msg: 3
are they the one?
Posted: 11/21/2005 7:41:51 PM
I think Talentwhite made a good point about looking to see if your goals are similar. As your relationship progresses, if you want different things from life you will start to have unhappiness and conflict. This kind of conflict doesn't show up in the "first blush" stage. If you have different views about money or family or how important your career is, talk it out and see if you can come to the same understanding.

The other thing i look for is if i like the person I AM when i'm with them... do they bring out the best in me? Do they bring out the qualities and activities i want to cultivate? The best relationships i've had were not always easy, but because they challenged me in good ways I liked myself so much better and was happy and my life thrived. After being with someone who truly liked me and accepted me for who i was but at the same time always thought me capable of more than i could see myself and who encouraged me..... i would never want to be in any other kind of relationship again. Don't ever settle for being with someone who is cynical or says negative things about people more often than positive things.... you wouldn't believe the difference! Right now when your relationship is young and you are happy, i doubt they are negative about you.... but watch how they treat other people, because how they treat people in general is how they are likely to treat you after ten years. If there is anyone they are treating badly, you can count on it... eventually it will come round to you.

I wish you good luck!
 Not just a member
Msg: 4
are they the one?
Posted: 11/21/2005 7:43:44 PM
and a standing ovation goes to loving lass....for taking the time to put it into words.

I applaud you!
 Swiftone
Msg: 5
view profile
History
are they the one?
Posted: 11/21/2005 7:51:34 PM

how can you tell if your significant other is the one, instead of just an infatuation?

I think that infatuation is a pretty good start.... but it can also be a really nasty end...

... if you feel you're giving more than you are getting back... run away! Chances are your hormones are leading the way....

Thudpucker
Msg: 6
are they the one?
Posted: 11/21/2005 8:18:31 PM
We try the best that we can, but the crystal ball usually stays milky. Dare to live your life the fullest that you can, and dare your SO to live as fully as you.

My SO wants to believe she is not worthy of me, and I want to believe I am not worthy of her. I have one simple, attainable goal: to love her forever.

Make a committment to yourself; and good luck!
 triplebp
Msg: 7
view profile
History
are they the one?
Posted: 11/25/2005 9:59:32 PM
Well ricky To be or not to be..........that is the question.

Unfortunately the question remains the only way you can ever be completely sure is when you hit your twilight years and they are still by your side. So if you both can picture yourself old wrinkle and.............well I think you get the picture.

Word of caution though at your age there might be several you know "the one's"

It is all entirely up to how you treat the world.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > are they the one?