Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Live within 75 miles??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sparda7
Msg: 4
Live within 75 miles??Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Oh people outside of 75 miles can't contact them? wow. Me personally... when I search I look for people within 25 miles, but I hope I hadn't done something wrong to where people outside of 75 can't contact me. I agree with you though. They shouldn't limit themselves. They should be like me though, and if someone emails me from that far away, just say "yea, you seem pretty cool, but you're not a hop, skip and a jump away. hope you might can come see me sometime!" I would and if they say "or you can see me" I'm like "nope, sorry! not a travelin man!" lol. Cheers
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 7
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/23/2005 10:19:58 AM
I have a career as well that will allow me to go pretty much anywhere. I let anyone from any distance email me, but relocating a long distance . . . I don't know. My family is close, and I have no idea how long my dad will last. So, I'd have to be madly in love to leave.
 NatGoat
Msg: 9
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/23/2005 10:51:45 AM
I don't care for the distance restriction....I'd relocate in a _Minute_ for a Terrific Lady!!...and have seen Many that I'd JUMP at the opportunity to meet!!
And eventhough there many, here that are just in it for fun..or the Forums..I'm hoping to find a Nice Lady...!!
Granted...I tend to fall in love easily, and there's the personality issue that would conflict, in many cases...but I'm both Willing AND Capable of making a supreme effort to make a 'friendship' a Relationship.. worth cherishing...!!
...but, I guess we'll never know!! . . . A Pity!!! . . .
 IMshrek
Msg: 10
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/23/2005 11:43:14 AM
Well, this is a free dating site and most people on here are here cause they don't have money to throw around. Why would I want to then get to know someone who I'd have to pay for travel just to go see them?
 Tinkle
Msg: 11
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/23/2005 12:38:30 PM
This is just another one of those preferences people have, like liking tall guys, tats, piercing, short hair, long hair etc. Some don't want to travel. Some don't want to move.It's really simple.

Also, women get a swarm of men, so it's not like they have to be desperate. Often times they put limits because they are swarmed with so many e-mails. So, they rather spend time talking with someone down the street than risk some long distant relationship where they might have to move, leave family friends, job.
 OnTheBus
Msg: 13
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/23/2005 5:09:40 PM
Well, all things considered, gals get a MILLION emails a day, so to limit things it is a good filter, I reckon. Afterall, not all of us are on here to shoot the sh!t in the forums. Some actually believe they can find a mate on line
 crunchberries
Msg: 14
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/23/2005 5:44:00 PM
No limits on mine.....besides that, I am not really on here JUST to meet others in my area....I could do that at the bar.
 am70sguy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/23/2005 11:33:05 PM
There's something here besides the forums? Damn, I thought I was missing something round here. Plug that guitar in so we can have music while we read.
 Test_Pilot
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/23/2005 11:42:23 PM
Unless you live in town in the middle of butt**** nowhere, traveling for dates is too much of a pain in the ass. Personally, my limit is about a 30 minute drive. I have tried the long distance thing and the closer you get to them, the more it sucks. Besides, not everyone has cars or such and maybe they would feel bad if you were the one doing the driving all the time.
 sailnSC
Msg: 18
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/24/2005 6:53:45 AM
OP - something to try - if you can't message them due to a "limit" of whatever sort, then add them to your Favorites. If they look there and see your profile, check it out and like it, maybe they'll message you.

Frustrating though, is when you write a message to someone not seeing any distance limit on their profile, only to find out your message disappears when you try to send it. wah.
 Swiftone
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/24/2005 8:13:22 AM

I see many profiles that have a distance limit in their settings. Anyone living outside that cannot even contact you to say hi. Why limit yourself to your own city? the planet is huge and has over 6 billion of us. If you have not found your mate in your 75 mile circle...why not expand?

I put the 75 mile limit simply because I have no interest in a long distance relationship or even a date for that matter.

It's really the "been there, done that" thing. I'd much rather meet someone face to face than sit for hours on the computer chatting or emailing. The telephone is better, but not much. Besides that, the long distance relationships I've been in in the past never worked out. "When the cat's away, the mice will play" comes to mind. I've been burned too many times.

Sure, there are lots of people out there and sure my match may be in Siberia, but I'd rather stay single than try to make that work....

... I'm not of the "love conquers all" crowd....

OnTheBus
Msg: 20
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/24/2005 8:23:26 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 OnTheBus
Msg: 25
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/25/2005 6:11:22 AM

I think you are wise. Guys do get their hopes up by talkng to a gal for a long time and then get the hammer. That is why I dont communicate with gals from far away for any other reason than friendship. And frankly, I think it makes the convo flow much more naturally if you realize that you have no hope in hell of actually going anywhere with a relationship
 coffeencreme
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 11/25/2005 7:00:12 AM
I think those of you men who say you would have no problem moving "for love" are either very young and not established in your career or are retired. I make a nice piece of coin at my job, but if I met a Jennifer Lopez look-a-like in California, I'm not moving! Not in this economy! I know too many people with tons more experience than me, that were laid off and couldn't find a job for over a year.
 ripley65
Msg: 32
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/5/2005 10:28:09 PM
Im one of those with the 75 mile restriction thingy. Id like to be able to actually date the person im interested in on a more consistant basis and not being able to becuz he lives 100 miles away. What if we both felt like going out for dinner on a Wednesday night? You'd have to skip work, leave your house at 4am (ok im exaggerating a bit there haha) and able to only spend a half hour together before you have to start heading back. LOL
 HRPandora
Msg: 34
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/6/2005 9:27:19 PM
Well, my last beau lived 900 miles away. That wasn't really an issue. But I agree, it's not for everyone. It's like teaching middle school.

Then again, so was the relationship.
 Pleasantron
Msg: 35
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 12/6/2005 9:39:27 PM
I agree with some of the other responses to this and similar threads. Distance can be, and generally is, a real problem in dating.

Since the beginning of this year, I've corresponded with and dated a number of women who lived distant from me. The longer the distance, the more difficult the dating.

At one time I was dating three women at the same time (no, I'm not a stud). One lived seventy miles from me, another thirty-five, and the other six miles from me. After a number of weeks, and complete exhaustion, I broke up with the other two and settled for the one living six miles from me to become my one and only. True, I felt a stronger emotional attachment to her, but I think, in large measure, the greater distances of the others played a role in my choosing the lady who lived closer to me. And although we also recently broke up, we did date continuously for seven months.

So, to summarize, distance dating is very difficult and I can truthfully understand why those on this dating site put a distance limit on their profiles.
 augman
Msg: 38
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 6/28/2008 2:28:09 AM
Im from Missouri and I fly all the way to China just to Meet someone who I been chating with for 3 years online. Like the saying says no pain one gain. If someone not willing to get up off there lazy butt then there the ones who dos all the takeing and no giveing. Don't look in the USA for someone look in China at lest the woman there know how to love a man
 JohnnyDeppsTwin
Msg: 39
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 6/30/2008 4:00:16 PM
A lot of people have that criterion because they know there is someone out there for them within their locale but they just need the help of the internet to find him or her.

Moreover with jobs, kids, and other activities, it is tough to consistently see someone who lives so far away from you.
 DocTheopolis
Msg: 40
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 6/30/2008 5:24:07 PM
I have my limit set at the max so I can talk to people, but I won't consider dating someone outside of maybe a 20 mile radius or so. Anything more than a half hour-ish drive is gonna make it really tough to see each other in my opinion, and I'm not into the long-distance thing.
 mimosas1
Msg: 41
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 7/8/2008 8:34:22 PM
I'm not looking for a LDR, and I'm not going to move. With gas prices being so high, the closer the better. There are still plenty of fish in my local sea, LOL.
 wondering1980
Msg: 42
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:27:49 PM
i don't drive n don't have the funds to travel so living in my area is crustal...also i can't be happy with someone unless i see them often
 NoMexShrek
Msg: 43
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:06:03 PM
Heck, 75 miles barely gets you to the next town here. I search 150-200 as it brings in the 2 nearest large cities that I hang out in. (Austin and San Antonio).

But I'd say 95% of the women I am interested in have a 75 mile restriction. Not much you can do about it, it's their choice.

Basically, if I would start dating someone from up there, they would see me a lot on the weekend, and rarely during the week. Most of my friends have GF's from Austin/Houston/San Antonio, which are all 2-4 hours away. They either go up there or their GF's come here most weekends. Most of them work it that you pay for gas when it's your turn to drive. One guy is dating a girl still in college, so he gives her gas money when she drives down here.
 CincyDeb
Msg: 44
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 7/9/2008 10:45:59 AM
I do not limit my email settings by mileage but I do indicate in my profile that long distance relationshsips have not worked for me. I enjoy talking to POFer's from outside my city.
 cat_woman31
Msg: 45
Live within 75 miles??
Posted: 7/9/2008 11:02:56 AM
Hmmm... now that you mention it, I would love to live in Paris. Perhaps I should change my settings so I get emails from French men?

Joking.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Live within 75 miles??