Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > sending mail to people with interesting profiles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Linguatic
Msg: 3
sending mail to people with interesting profilesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hi Barn2B -

Yeah, I do this too sometimes. Usually if they have a really creative photo or something different from the run of the mill.
 ChicagoFemale
Msg: 4
sending mail to people with interesting profiles
Posted: 11/24/2005 3:43:56 PM
I'm "guilty" of this as well,often it ends with a nice reply,and hey what a nice way to make a new friend or two:-)
 cgrcry
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/24/2005 4:28:22 PM
ditto. usually people i like from forum posts, though. i'm really more interested in people's minds than looks, location or other stastics
 Tinkle
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/24/2005 6:25:29 PM
I get them everyday. I'm not creeped out at all about it. I like getting e-mail from anyone except maybe a moderator, which hasn't happened yet btw.
 arfeena
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/24/2005 7:25:06 PM
The first time I did that, it was to complement a really funny and original profile ... after I spent about 5 minutes trying to word it properly so that it wouldnt sound weird .. I hit the send button and found out that she had set age restrictions on who could message her :D ...
 JewelsnTools
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/24/2005 8:28:53 PM
^^^^^^^I feel you on this one! :)

Being courageous enough to send a pleasant note to someone whose profile you liked doesn't make you a "weirdo!" It's thoughtful and kind!
I've done this before, and usually, the person responds with a pleasant response. When that doesn't happen, I'm still okay--I sent it because I wanted to!
I've also spent quality time, in reference to the above poster, composing a wonderful email--only to hit send and get a message that the person's restrictions won't allow me to contact him! It cracked me up the first time...totally unexpected, and what a face burn to have spent that much time and energy in composing!!
Didn't keep me from continuing what I think is a positive practice, though!
 am70sguy
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2005 11:41:00 PM
I have no qualms about sending a complimentary email (barring restrictions). I mean if you feel genuine that something is worth complimenting, why not. Even if you don't get a response, doesn't mean that you didn't feel like making the compliment to begin with, so go for it.
 Sasquatch2
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/25/2005 12:04:36 AM
Been on both sides.If I send a complimentry email I've
usually received a thankyou in reply.
And I always thank anyone sending me one.
Doesn't mean I'm in any way interested,My profile clearly states
I'm taken...
 Crossfade
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/25/2005 9:39:07 AM
I do this as well. If I see something in a profile that makes me smile or catches my eye (not the pics) I try to send an email just pointing it out. Be it word craft or whatever. I enjoy getting emails based on something I wrote in mine, and Im sure others do as well.
 arri
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/25/2005 9:40:33 AM
Sometimes, when I come to play on the forums and don't find any threads I like, I rate pictures and read profiles instead. And if I come across a truly beautiful woman with a profile to match, I'd write her a complimentary email
 rbintx
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/25/2005 9:46:29 AM
I think we live in a society where not enough nice things are said.

Kudos to anyone who practices random acts of kindness...that includes sending nice mail.

Call me guilty.
 mrcandyman187
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2005 10:04:36 AM
I do it all the time...and in all the time I've been doing it I've only had 2 people send a positive response, most tell me to f off or they don't respond at all.

I'll still keep doing it though
 hac3011
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/25/2005 4:13:52 PM
Yes, I have done it and did it when I first joined the site and now one of those emails sent telling him how much I enjoyed his profile has turned out to be one of my closest friends. :) Keep sending them!! :)
 MtLoopHiker
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/25/2005 6:00:12 PM
barns said:
Does anyone else do this even though you know there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of anything coming of it

Hell, is there any *better* reason to send someone a note?

It's a gesture of sincere admiration. I also send personal notes to those that make forum posts that really resonate with me.
 darkcloud
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/25/2005 6:37:55 PM
i have written a few times and most of the time was blocked by a restriction of some kind, mostly age or location. i have tried though.
 Eagle Fish
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/4/2012 11:25:04 AM

Does anyone else do this even though you know there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of anything coming of it. I have taken to sending a note telling men I enjoyed their profiles or in a couple of cases telling them to cheer up and not take the whole thing too seriously if there profile sounded really down. I don't expect responses though sometime do get them.

Am I the only weirdo to do this? Have you received any such messages and does it creep you out or make you feel good that someone read your profile and bothered to write?

(I know this is an old forum thread but I rather add on to it than to start another that is close enough.)

Have you seen a number of interesting profiles on POF? What makes them interesting to you?

I have to admit; I enjoy reading interesting profiles that are funny, unique, and have that something. (Wink) It makes me want to know more about the person. You never know.

“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
― C.S. Lewis
 sigungq
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/4/2012 12:03:41 PM

Am I the only weirdo to do this? Have you received any such messages and does it creep you out or make you feel good that someone read your profile and bothered to write?

Nope, I think you are the only one on POF that messages people who have interesting profiles. I always look for the dumbest, most boring profiles. I only ever message those people. Yes, it is real creepy to receive a message from anyone on a dating site that finds me interesting. You better not keep up this practice............ ;-)
 justdeb1111
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/4/2012 4:22:38 PM
I do this often. Most of the time I get a pleasant response.

They should create a forum here that people can post the names of profiles that are really good or clever. Might actually raise the bar a bit as most PoF profiles are abysmal.
 SingleInArlington
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/4/2012 5:36:17 PM
<---------Guilty :)
 c0ffeemate
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/4/2012 7:42:16 PM
Yup and yup again. I've done it a few times. I don't expect an answer back from them but the few times I have gotten a response, they've been incredibly nice.
And I've done it as well with one or two forum posts that 'hit home'.
Rather relieving to know I'm not the only 'fruitloop' out here lol ^_^
 Mistie3000
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/4/2012 8:37:14 PM
There was one guy recently whose profile wasn't exactly negative, but he sounded almost apologetic in a part where mentioning his hair is thinning and that's why his profile pics have him wearing hats. He doesn't live close so we will not be meeting but I still messaged him anyway to say I found him attractive, regardless of what his hair situation is!
 supplygoodguy
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/4/2012 9:42:02 PM
I can say I've actually done that three times over the course of being on this jail site.. the only reason I felt a draw to write to them was because their profiles were absolutely excellently written from who they are .. I've read hundreds of mens profiles as I look for intelligence in the universe every time I walk out my side door and exit stage left.. .. and so far I've seen a few note worthies worth noting..I have only contacted these people to tell them that their written words rock.. I never contact men on pof .. if a guy is interested in meeting me he will do the work.. if not he isn't for me.. I'm not into lazy or insecure men.. that's me.. lots of women contact men... it is best he pursues and if the feeling is mutual great.. I also do not respond to all the emails I get as I've found that can backfire with a major passive aggressive response .. so now I just do not respond to emails .. I figure if a decent one comes along and I appreciate his profile for it's honesty and authenticity and he doesn't have pics up of stupid stuff then I will get back to him.. until then I am so so content to remain el singularo.. ad infinitum..
 justgowithit74
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/6/2012 7:52:18 AM
Absolutely I have done this. I don't care if the profile has pic or not, I will take the time to read a guy's profile and if something strikes me, I will send a message. It may be just to say I enjoyed reading it, agreed with something they wrote, or if they say something funny, I will add my witty humor to it. Sometimes it takes just that little bit of encouragement to make all the difference to someone. Looking for love or whatever it is you are searching for isn't always easy.
 MDLBF22
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2012 8:32:00 AM
There are many times I have done this and mostly no replies.

Everyone who sends to me get's a reply. No matter who.
If your on the site at least be nice to others.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2012 8:37:03 AM
I often send a message which is complimentary. Not looking for anything in return. I also compliment people out and around in grocery stores, etc. People need to hear nice things. Everyone loves to hear nice things.
g
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > sending mail to people with interesting profiles