Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hound9164
Msg: 1
would you date someone who is handicaped?Page 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
well, would you date someone who is mentally fine but physically handcapped?
 rainbow_fish
Msg: 2
would you date someone who is handicaped?
Posted: 11/24/2005 7:58:22 PM
Most likely no.... unless it was due to a injury
and not a diesease. I have buried enough friends.....
and family... I wish to know someone healthy.
That does not make me shallow... that makes me
unable to handle any more death.....

rainbow
 Alone but happy
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/24/2005 8:23:01 PM
LOL...quite the loaded question.

I'll admit to being what you deemed as being handicapped....although this chair has not been with me from birth. It is the result of an auto accident where I lost far more than the use of my legs. I am what would be called the "lucky one"....go figure?

As a "handicapped" person (FRICKING HELL....I HATE that term) I would like to think that able bodied persons would think that they are capable of dating someone who is in a position such as I am - however, the truth is that it is very hard to deal with. The truth is that I come with baggage, as well as the perks (think GREAT parking spots! LOL) and for the majority of the men that I have met, that is just too much for them to handle.

It is a fact of my life, and although I have met some outstanding men....I have also met some men, who upon realizing that the chair is permanently glued to my ass.,....have run in the opposite direction. Not all men are that way - and I know that. I honestly, honestly don;t think that I have any more troubles meeting the Mr. Right than what able bodied women do. But that is only my 2 cents worth.
 SixDemonBag
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2005 9:57:52 PM
Hooray for the parking! ;)

I partially agree with AbH about the chances to meet the right person. I don't see mine as any less than before, as the kind of person I want to be with hasn't changed. Even without this challenge, I didn't want to date someone who couldn't see past one. I do think that does narrow down the field, though. There are a number of people who aren't up to it.

I have to say, I like your profile. You sound like a vivacious and caring person. The guy you chose to be with is going to be a lucky dude.
 am70sguy
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2005 11:47:55 PM
I don't have a problem with a handicap per say. But already caring for two children with disabilities would make me leary of anybody that required a lot of personal care or medical issues, I have enough to contend with already.
 SixDemonBag
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2005 8:39:47 AM

This probably is the right place to complain but it is annoying to see all those empty handicpped spaces. I don;t think it would hurt the handicapped to wheel a few extra yards. It is good exercise. None of us get enough exercise. i've been seeing the doctor for bad nerves but they declined to provide me with a handicapped sticker which really really pissed me off.

Oi! I don't want to sidetrack this thread any more, so...
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts2544892.aspx
 tharley
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/25/2005 9:05:30 AM
To alone, but Happy

Sounds like to me your NOT handicapped, just a wee bit inconvienced! I like your attitude!
 marabellesexican
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/25/2005 10:35:18 AM
I did, but as a favor.. does that count?
 silk_n_steel
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2005 11:12:28 AM
I think the only way I could decide was if I could reach the person behind the chair or the prosthesis, or look beyond the absence of a limb or specific ability, to the person within.

I am also not the type to feel an instant attraction to somebody. I know many good-looking people who do absolutely nothing for me, and many others who I may have initially dismissed as "date" material who turn out to be very attractive to me...once I get to know the whole person.

Someone mentioned that people with a disability are often bitter. I have worked with adults with disabilties for many years, and yes this can be true. However, I know many more able-bodied people who are just as bitter, with less reason. Then there are others who have worked to overcome insurmountable odds, and live happy, fulfilled lives.

BTW -- I had a professor who lost a limb as a young adult, and it was he who told me where the term "handicap" comes from. It stands for "cap-in-hand" from the days when people with a disability were thought to be useless, and couldn't find a job...so they were forced to stand with "cap-in-hand" and beg for handouts. It's no wonder it is a distasteful term. People still use it, but I'm sure out of ignorance of it's founding, and not malicious intent.

Thankfully, employment and equity laws now allow people to demonstrate Abilities.
 Phresh
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/26/2005 8:18:25 AM
i know one of the coolest chicks ive met has been in a wheelchair because of a wreck she was in. i've argued with myself plenty of times because i'd like to date her but theres just something about it that i personally couldnt live with.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2005 9:16:19 AM

Thread Cleaned up of off topic / troll posts

STAY on topic, or the thread will be pulled.

Forum Moderator
 Phresh
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/26/2005 9:23:50 AM
we are on topic **waves hand/jedi mind trick**
 DacaInaru
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/26/2005 10:20:04 AM
I would date a man with a handicap.. as long as he is the type of person who is independent and doesn't lay at home lamenting something he can't change. And by independent I don't mean that he has to be living alone..fine if he lives with family but I would have a problem if he sees himself as limited by his limitations.. if that makes sense?

I sometimes have to walk with a cane due to a hip problem.. but I don't limit myself..heck I go dancing, walking, etc.. no problem..
 UcfDude
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/27/2005 8:10:25 AM
If you like them, date them. If you don't like them, dont. Simple as that.
 Sorka Spellbound
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/27/2005 10:16:11 AM
I would definitely date someone with a "handicap". I detest that term too. Before I go any further though, I should say that I am considered legally blind myself, so my outlook (like some of the other posters in this thread) comes from a personal understanding of facing some difficult challanges. Over the years I have dated a couple of men who had disabilities. One became blind due to diabetes and the other was born with cerebral palsy. Their attitudes and outlooks were as different as night and day. One was very independent and self-sufficient, the other had been sheltered and held back from trying to achieve.

I would definitely date someone with the independent attitude. Since I have a lot of that independence myself, I find it partiularly attractive.
 jessika2908
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/27/2005 11:51:44 AM
I think I would yes. If that ever came up, and the person wasn't poor me poor me all of the time.
 RoCkSt*R69®
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:02:08 PM
I probably would date someone who is handicapped......but most likely i'd be just in it 4 the parking...espically now during the holiday season....you ever see how difficult it is to find a spot?....wowzers!!!
 Veedub447
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/27/2005 5:33:11 PM
I knew this woman with a glass eye. I meet her at a gym I was working out at. We went out once. I could never tell if she was looking for at me or the person next to me. I told her I wasn't interested in a romantic realtionship, but that we could continue working out together at the gym, and she said "ok I'll keep an eye out for you."
 Ms. Picky
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/27/2005 5:36:22 PM
It's my M.O.

I tend to date men who are emotionally handicapped.

Does that count?

Veedub447
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/28/2005 6:04:22 AM
That would be great to have a totally deaf woman, because you could fart whenever you wanted to.
 Veedub447
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:37:48 AM
dear Joey

My brother is in a wheel chair, he works out at the gym, plays basketball and competes in races, he would outhike your scrawny ass any day of the week. You sound like a completely ignorant female version of a jerk.
 SixDemonBag
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2005 8:55:09 AM

No I wouldn't. A handicapped person does not need me, I'm athletic and not at all into dating wheelchair occupants. I never come into contact with them, so I guess I know nothing about them. I need to be with an outdoors type who can keep up on a hike or a bike.

People are indiviuals. It all depends on the persons particular issue. "Handicapped" and "disabled" are not catchall phrases. I myself probably would not be able to keep up, and I'm not even in a wheelchair, but what about these guys?
http://www.murderballmovie.com/
I'll bet there are plenty of people here that *you* would have trouble keeping up with: http://caf.temp.powweb.com/
There are also these cycles available: http://www.cycle-n-sleep.co.uk/disabled.htm

I'm not saying you are wrong for wanting to be able to share activities that are important to you with your partner, but I do think you are lumping people together into a rather ignorant perception.
 tenduewoman
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/28/2005 9:11:41 AM
Yes, I would- i dated someone who had severe depression,and as i struggle with that a bit, i dont think i will date someone who has mental problems.Personally, the older i get,the less i am concerend with whether someone has all of the "normal" parts.It's what is on the inside that counts.Howeve,i would have to feel an attraction for the person-you know the butterfly thing in your stomach:P I have had the opportunity to teach dance to people who are able bodied,and who have some physical limitations-people are people-i am not going to limit myself to only people who are physically "normal" (whatever that is) Just my 2 cents.Shanna
 tenduewoman
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/28/2005 9:16:57 AM
Great post- your brother sounds cool.Shanna Ps: you sound nice too:)
 SixDemonBag
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2005 12:46:47 PM
It's the way you did it. But that's fine. After seeing how you phrase things, I'm sure people in wheelchairs wouldn't have any reason to want to date you, either.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date someone who is handicaped?