Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Spelling and Grammar, does it count?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Draxx
Msg: 8
Spelling and Grammar, does it count?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I always say spelink dowznt cownt after 8pm or 2 drinks,
 Soulfishy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Spelling and Grammar, does it count?
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:46:02 PM

Would I date someone from here who had poor spelling? Depends how cute she is.

I'm an excellent speller, does that mean I can get away with being less cute??
 bigboldgrl
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2005 7:48:09 PM

Would I date someone with:

typos, yes.

poor spelling of difficult words, sure.

stupid or uninformed ideas or, worse yet, cruel or discriminatory remarks - never.

Beautifully said Lorien
 Missy
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/5/2005 1:32:01 PM
I dated a fellow who would remind me how intelligent he was. I'd smile and when he left, would go read his profile again. He was from "nancouver" for starters and from there it just got better. For our first 'monthaversary' he made me a card. In it he wrote: "You blume more beutifully like a flower everyday."

Spelling mistakes in profiles (and posts) that are not obvious typos, can only mean two things, a mental disability or lack of education (sometimes both). So, you may date him/her and look past the grammatical and spelling errors, but, if there's a mental disability, ask yourself if you are capable of handling that.

~Missy~
 canadianredneck
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/5/2005 1:32:04 PM
Singlewhitefemale. That was really good if no one else noticed. You must have gotten that from a source? Or are you so sharp you just made it up?
 TrystofLime
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/5/2005 4:50:10 PM
I don't mind a few typos here and there, but I find really bad spelling (like, every fourth or fifth word) is very distracting from the text itself. Plus, I have a pet peeve which I see everywhere on POF... "your very pretty..." "your sure about..." "your hilarious!"

My pretty what?

You're!! You're!! Two words, one sound, it's not that hard, people! LOL
 Missy
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/5/2005 5:00:35 PM
I agree kindheart33 - the chat chit in an email is a bit much...I will admit I will over use LOL or LMAO but I don't think I (over) use much more than that. If you want to get to know someone, the worst thing you can do is short change yourself by showing your ignorance.

Tryst I agree but its not only you're and your. But too and to and their, there and they're as well :)

~Missy~
 gotu
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/6/2005 10:45:19 AM
I am the typo queen....that being said I also have funky punctuation habits like - that and ..... this for no reasons other than pauses :P and I forget about the smilies and use the oldfashioned keyboard smilies ;)
 Augiedougie
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/13/2007 9:33:17 PM
I have alot of problems with someone who has poor spelling. To me it just shows a lack of education and lack of self-esteem in that they don't care what others think. So many people think spell check is the answer. Far from it.
I don't understand why spelling doesn't count in school anymore. There are a number of people also use net-speak and net-spelling when they are writing an email or even a 'normal' letter (not that many use that form of communication anymore).
Sorry, but this is really one of my pet peeves in life.
 sageb1
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2007 1:50:55 AM
Actually, the only time it would annoy me would be when SoMeOnE wRiTeS lIkE tHiS.

If I used BTW and OK and NM etc. that's not a TYPO.

FWIW, if university textbooks wrote out all the acronyms all the time, they'd be a lot thicker.

It'd also mean I can't advertise:
NS SAM 48 sks 24,36,48 F
 BonnieB
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2007 8:26:27 AM
It counts, but it's not a deal breaker..

But what I find more irritating is why we have to bring up a thread that is almost 2 years old, where 1/2 the original posters are no longer even members..

Why can't we just start a new one? I just don't get that...

B.
 on the road..
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2007 11:53:06 AM
I personally would not want to enter a forum with people who mispell words. It's not funny.
 musicnut46
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/17/2007 12:27:12 PM
Personally I spell check personal messages but not posts. They make points in general and be expressing opinions on occasion . You learn what annoys some by posting in a certain manner. Then you learn not to. The nature and intent of the post depends on the mood at the time. We all be in school on here,some need to learn thier lessons better. IM be like e-mailing. Some people are lazy and we all know the hazzards of drunking posting. Post with a purpose. Or to just bide time when BORED.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2007 4:56:27 AM
Many people want to go out with someone with the same level of education. If your spelling is horrible in English, and you are originally from Russia, Romania, or France then I can understand. If English is your first language, and you cannot spell well, and your grammar is horrible than, for me, at least, we have a huge gap when it comes to education. I don't mean one person has an M.A., and the other has a PH.D. I like English. It's my language. I respect it. The words I use matter. In most countries in the world people make a huge effort to write well in their language. Now, if you make a few errors, that's not a big deal. I mean so many people don't know how to spell definitely. They spell it thus - definately. I don't know why so many people spell it that way, but it happens. For me, that's no big deal. However, if you wrote the following: "I love eating hot dogs'?" That annoys me. I just don't like seeing an apostrophe after the letter s to indicate plural when it is extremely incorrect. I think it looks bad. My friends can spell well and have decent grammar. I expect the same from the girl unless she was born in another country.
 tornado1
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2007 3:01:34 PM
Poor spelling/grammar used to be a pet peeve of mine, until......I had a son with learning disabilities. The experience has taught me to be a whole lot more tolerant, because not being able to spell is no reflection on their intelligence!
 Garden.gal
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2007 9:39:21 PM
Yes, spelling and grammar count. It distracts me from what the person is saying. If it is really bad, or full of phoneticisms (does anybody mind if I make up words?) like 'luv u 2' I find myself thinking less of the writer and may lose interest entirely. Poor spelling does suggest poor education, and the phoneticisms suggest a younger age group than mine. That being said, if the content of the profile is otherwise very interesting I'd still date the person.

Sorry. Just looked it up. I can't make up a word because there already is one for that meaning: phonetism. (Personally, I like my word better but I think I'd defeat my own argument if I used my own instead.) Please replace above term 'phoneticisms' with 'phonetism'. Thank you.
 musicnut46
Msg: 79
Posted: 3/27/2007 2:58:40 PM
Some Blondes and Brunettes be the most inteligent folks out there. Don't they teach them how to talk properly. So many lanquages out there these days. Spelling and Gramma is not talking. Computer geeks and geekettes take a hike. Bring back typwewriters,half of 'em probably get expelled. God...forums be fun. Get -out and converse in person.
 Bigandtalldancer
Msg: 82
Posted: 3/27/2007 3:20:38 PM

the CONTENT and INTELLECT of the communication

I would think that spelling and grammar would be paramont to both.

IMHO
 musicnut46
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/27/2007 7:29:41 PM
Some people can't read but be great typers and vice-versa. This be the school of getting to know those some of us could never even say hi to in person. You learn in school and use it it to better yourself. Part of the problem with kids be they be learning to type with a keyboard instead of writing. It can hide handicaps and/or reveal them. . Some posts ask questions and you answer with replies which might get a further reply.
 musicnut46
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/28/2007 12:31:02 AM
It certainly does when getting the attention of folks with nothing better to do than nit-pick and run and hide away out-of-town. Being annoying only to those who choose it to be so. It's actually a nasty left-over habit from past experience. A bit of a nuisance when getting to know new folks. The Old folks I knew found the less nasty me more of a turn-off. That be why I'm here.
 bcboy72
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2007 8:58:04 AM
IS spelling everything? Yes to some of you it is. What a limited view

Age between 41 and 59
Must not have messaged users looking for intimate encounters or sex.
Must not be looking for Hang Out
Must not be looking for Intimate Encounter
Must not be looking for Activity Partner
Must not do drugs
Must not be married

Yes, we all have limited views apparently. Any restrictions we have would be limiting our view, and we are all able to make those limitations as we see fit for ourselves.

Spelling and grammar does count, but it doesn’t represent intelligence.

Intelligence is a property of mind that encompasses many related mental abilities, such as the capacities to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn.

So, no, they do not represent intelligence as a whole, but are a part of it.

I know a lot of intelligent people that does not speak a word of English.

Irrelevant.
 musicnut46
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/28/2007 8:40:07 PM
Profiles target who you be looking for. It be about making a first impression in general. Yuppers,mistakes will be making. Forum posts be about general discussions,opinions appreciated but not rocket science. People you hope to meet be reading them so make a good impression. Some talents can only be found-out in person. Very rich people have learning disabilities. I feel the need...the need for speed-dating.
 Dr.Strange
Msg: 99
Posted: 3/28/2007 9:22:15 PM

I don't date "stupid".

I have been known to date "dyslexic" though.

To me, spelling and grammar isn't nearly as important as the CONTENT and INTELLECT of the communication.

which this thread is failing at miserably........
 Dr.Strange
Msg: 101
Posted: 3/28/2007 9:27:31 PM
Oh come on now folks, it's not nice to belittle someone just
because they type or spell poorly.

Just ignore them, I find I just skip right over their posts as I
find myself getting a brain cramp trying to figure out what they besaying.....

that is because your able to see past Your own ego......

unlike some.

Imagination is more important than knowledge......by Whats his name????
some real intelligent guy quoted that?????
 bcboy72
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2007 9:36:38 PM
The above does not limit view. I make a conscious choice to put the above on my profile, unlike spelling

And it be a conscious (yep edited as I missed it while playing poker..lol) choice for some of us to count grammar and spelling.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Spelling and Grammar, does it count?