Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Spelling and Grammar, does it count?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lainy1
Msg: 1
Spelling and Grammar, does it count?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Does it drive anyone else crazy when reading posts or profiles when the spelling is atrocious? With some posts it is laughable the variations of the simplest words. Maybe, it's just me and a side effect of the business I am in.
So the question is would you date someone from here who had poor spelling?
 beckandcallgirl
Msg: 2
Spelling and Grammar, does it count?
Posted: 11/27/2005 9:14:19 AM
It irks me when spelling and grammar is bad, but I don't think it would hold me back, in fact I know it hasn't. And I think some of the simplest words are misspelled on purpose.

However, it would be very helpful if those with the most trouble would write their posts or profiles in word and do these few steps.

Make use of 'spell-check' but don't rely on it. If you aren't sure and don't have a dictionary handy - try the thesaurus for variations to ensure you have the right word.

Read it outloud. More errors are caught this way, including run-on sentences.

Read it backwards - catches a lot of common spelling errors.

We have made fun of a few spelling errors on here, but some of them are just too difficult to decipher.

Or, if you don't care, don't worry about it.
 ya472
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/27/2005 9:17:53 AM

Newspaper and magazine articles are becoming more interesting as the writers and editors rely on spell-check.

One incorrect word changes the entire meaning of the sentence.. Many are just too funny. (however, sad)

alli-oop
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/27/2005 10:58:32 AM
Poor Grammar bugs me because it should be a natural thing to know. With spelling, you can sometimes tell which is bad spelling as opposed to a typo. Typos don't bother me, I'm a smart girl, I can decipher. Bad spelling may irk me a bit but nothing to hold against them.
 bowvalleymike
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/27/2005 11:01:23 AM
Would I date someone from here who had poor spelling? Depends how cute she is.
 Dewuwanna
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/27/2005 11:11:58 AM
Me Fokes neveer beeleevd n fancee bewk lurnin
 PLANETMAN
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:01:03 PM
atcaully the bairn wroks in a msyetroius way. it has the ailbtiy to fgirue out msot wrods eevn wehn tehy are slept worng. as lnog as msot of the crorcet ltetres are tehre. it wuold be dfiflut to raed a wohle book thgouh.
 Draxx
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:04:34 PM
I always say spelink dowznt cownt after 8pm or 2 drinks,
 bulldog™
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:05:03 PM
Ok I now have a headache after reading that post. I don't work with computers so I spend more time making sure the spelling is correct. Grammar, well, that's another story.

The most used key on my computer is the backspace key.
 lorien
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:06:00 PM
Would I date someone with:

typos, yes.

poor spelling of difficult words, sure.

stupid or uninformed ideas or, worse yet, cruel or discriminatory remarks - never.
 dnl_tdwll
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:12:14 PM
Too those that jugde other people, so for now on I'll Simplely agree or disagree since the ones that jugde will not be so CRUEL
 SingleWhiteFemaleinSurrey
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:17:37 PM
It does bother me when a profile is full of spelling errors, may even stop me from dating them....

Just had to share this, seemed like the appropriate place:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was
rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a
rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the
ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and
lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you
can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos
not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
 Soulfishy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:46:02 PM

Would I date someone from here who had poor spelling? Depends how cute she is.

I'm an excellent speller, does that mean I can get away with being less cute??
 whodeletedme
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/27/2005 12:52:46 PM
There was a thread on this a month or so ago,... that was when I first put out the sentences with only the first and last letters in the correct places. Many folks who wrote in had great points to make though. Some people are dyslexic,... that doesn't make them less intelligent,... actually quite the opposite. I too used to judge folks on grammar and spelling until I read that thread, made me cut people a little slack from a self-admitted grammar/spelling freak. Now I just smile and carry on , maybe make a little joke, after all I am the queen of typos. I just go back and recheck and edit 100 times. hahahaha.
 kas*
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/27/2005 2:19:43 PM
I don't really care if someone can spell, or whether they have perfect grammer.

I'm not great at spelling, or grammer..so who am i to judge?

but!! when its simple words...i laugh my ass off. come on. its funny. i only hope that they are typos.
 galacia
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/27/2005 2:49:25 PM
If someone sends me a message and the words are spelled correctly and their grammar isn't too bad then it makes me think that they've taken the time to think about what they want to say and make sure it gets said correctly. I'd much rather get a msg with a little thought behind it than a "hey, hour are u pritty nice pix wanna dew cofee?" msg.
But if it weren't for the typos we'd never get the Herbies Spelt Colon giggles!
 ekkobeach
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/27/2005 3:01:22 PM
I take the odd spelling error, especially if it just a typo. But, I will not IM with someone who cannot spell - it drives me nuts! I feel like I am correcting a spelling test instead of chatting. I wish I could see past it, but I can't.

I of course would date a person that can't spell (assuming they can speak), but I hope they would be attempting to change their spelling ways.

Wuns, eye was a bad speler. But eye tryed huk'd on foniks and itt werk'd fore mee.
 bigboldgrl
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2005 7:48:09 PM

Would I date someone with:

typos, yes.

poor spelling of difficult words, sure.

stupid or uninformed ideas or, worse yet, cruel or discriminatory remarks - never.

Beautifully said Lorien
 halokitty
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/27/2005 7:50:01 PM
Spelling and grammar to me, are essential for good communication. I don't have the patience to sit and decipher internet lingo or crappy spelling.
 galacia
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/27/2005 7:53:15 PM
Here, here! I'm with you there 100% halokitty!
(But a blown colon smelt herbie still makes me giggle!)
 gon_fishin
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/27/2005 7:55:15 PM
wow... makes me wanna gag...
 Fluffy Handcuffs
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/28/2005 1:36:05 PM
a few spelling mistakes here and there: big deal! we all have one of those days... and sometimes they last a couple of days

poor grammer: I start to ask myself if they are esl? (which is common), illiterate? (again more common than you think) or mental isues? (socially inept, etc)

idiotic comments: just make fun of them
 Personal Detailer
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/28/2005 1:54:57 PM
eye dun no waht ure tallkin bout.....me speeeeelin is purfekt....so ya dun wan tuh dait meh cus me speeeelin sss suh gud? mmmmmmm shuks tuh beeee ya...
 dnl_tdwll
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/5/2005 12:59:41 PM
Yes Spelling Does make some difference.So I meet people in person instead.I did meet a Woman onSunday and I know she is the Right One For Me.I'm very Happy Dan'o'
 Missy
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/5/2005 1:32:01 PM
I dated a fellow who would remind me how intelligent he was. I'd smile and when he left, would go read his profile again. He was from "nancouver" for starters and from there it just got better. For our first 'monthaversary' he made me a card. In it he wrote: "You blume more beutifully like a flower everyday."

Spelling mistakes in profiles (and posts) that are not obvious typos, can only mean two things, a mental disability or lack of education (sometimes both). So, you may date him/her and look past the grammatical and spelling errors, but, if there's a mental disability, ask yourself if you are capable of handling that.

~Missy~
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Spelling and Grammar, does it count?