Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone still living with their Ex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mustangsally1273
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Would you date someone still living with their Ex?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
If they are still there, then that person should not be dating....sorry, clean the slate abit..would they too still be sharing their bed ? Not a good situation!
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 3
Would you date someone still living with their Ex?
Posted: 11/28/2005 6:50:05 PM
The trick here is to NOT start dating someone who is living with their ex.

It's called common sense - try this at home, folks!
 tictactoe
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/28/2005 6:57:49 PM
Hambone:

Never in a million years. If he's too lazy to move, she could leave just as easy.

As the little guy here says If I see she's living with the ex.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:02:09 PM
I agree...not a good idea. That is just all kinds of messed up.
 Polly_G
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:04:31 PM
I echo the "Never in a million years".

The closest I ever came to it was I moved in with a boyfriend on a ground level apt in a house, shortly after his ex moved in upstairs. It was really awkward. Especially because he requested I not be friends with her because he didn't want us comparing notes yet was going upstairs to visit occassionaly.

I trusted him, it wasn't about that. It was about knowing that she still wanted him back. I don't want to be part of any kind of triangle. We moved shortly after she moved in.
 serendipitee
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:22:42 PM
Absolutely NOT!!!

Bad plan!
 tictactoe
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:44:53 PM
Bench:

Isnt that the truth. Only to find out they're doing the mambo with him and you! Not cool. Then when she's caught, she tries to wiggle out of a mess of lies. ( I know guys do this to )
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/28/2005 9:08:13 PM
First of all, it's never "too late" to get out of a relationship with someone you discover has been lying to you about something as important as still being involved with their ex! Naturally it's more difficult the later you find out, but saying it's "too late" is your problem, not theirs.

Of course, just the fact that they still LIVE with their ex has got to be one of the biggest red flags in dating history. If they say "oh but really it's just like we're roomates" and you later find out it's more like roomates with benefits, well, you had the big red flag waved in front of you at the start! It was YOUR choice to ignore it and take a chance.

On the other hand, I did once date a woman who was divorced and lived next door to her ex. And when I say next door, I mean it was more or less a house next door, but they were joined by a common hallway. They did it for the kids.

In her case, I truly believed there was nothing going on with the ex and it was a situation where you could just tell it was a matter of convenience. But every case - and person - is different and you have to let your gut lead you.
 PerfectClass
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/28/2005 9:28:52 PM
There are sooo many people in the world, in the area who are single - free and clear single. When there is trouble in a dating relationship, it's okay to end it and look elsewhere. Single, divorced, widowed are better choices than separated or separated/divorced living with ex.

It's easy to get emotionally entangled with someone, then think your world has ended if you end it and then stay, putting up with more and more things you'd normally not accept.

As this site states, there are plenty of fish out there! Don't waste time trying to mend a relationship with baggage.

If she wants a relationship with you, she'll get the ex out or get out herself. If she's a pushover for him, keep looking elsewhere. Time spent trying to cajole her into giving him the boot could be spent walking on the beach or having a nice dinner with another person.

My two cents worth (in Canadian funds, that's not much but our currency has risen!!)

mjdurtman
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:48:07 AM
I did once. The dumbest thing I have ever done! Never again.
 terry480
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:59:41 AM
If he's too lazy or cheap to get his own place, then he's not mature enough for my taste. As they say..shit or get off the pot!!
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:55:00 AM
does she have big chesticles???
 senryu47
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/23/2005 1:52:24 PM
i know someone like that...and it has no effect on how i feel about her..i understand her situation..'course, i may be a bit more liberal than alot of people, but there are a million different stories..take each one on its' own merit...p.s.--she's a great person....
 sailingchef
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 10:19:42 PM
It can be "uncomfortable" if the "X" and the new "man" look at each other like who's better than who. But in todays world, look at it this way;

Reguardless of why you broke up, you trusted each other. Get past the hurt and remember where you started.
Hopefully, you both work, and can afford a "nice" two bedroom with a patio and some 'space" foe each of you.
You all ready know the friends, family and business associates.

NEVER judge. You may just find yourself moving in with your "X"

The ecomony sucks!
 FishOwl
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/19/2009 10:41:57 PM
No. No. NOOOO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figure it out yet??

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ex is familiar territory. You will be judged by the ex and you will NEVER know what is good or bad about the ex from the point of view of the one you are dating/intending to date. Getting into a situation like that would be like walking blindfolded through a live minefield.
 Helen0426
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/25/2009 3:44:51 PM
Pretty old topic, but sadly, still relevant!

I dated one of these briefly. I didn't know his roommate was his ex, of course, or I would've said "no" right out of the gate...

Yeah, don't do it.

Most of the time, they are probably perfectly nice people, and they probably think they really do want a relationship with you, but they're just not finished with each other. People who are ready to move on, do.

And financial circumstances be damned, that is a terrible excuse - you've gotta be a pretty miserable jerk before some friend or family member won't take you in. And in that case, who'd want to date you anyway?
 onefinewine
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/25/2009 3:57:27 PM
No...notta...never... met someone & once I found out didn't go out again. Of course they try to tell you that its over.. you are the one they are looking for & not sleeping in the same bed, but too much baggage. They have alot to deal with.
 Paladin_Darkwolf
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/25/2009 7:20:09 PM
I won't even waste the time with someone who lives with their ex... did that before (the woman never bothered to tell me that her ex was living with her... she thought that it wasn't any of my business.)

Funny thing is that she got jealous and possessive when I saw other women, though. Hmmm...
 barbee1970
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/25/2009 7:28:22 PM
Nope, and the whole "roomate" excuse doesn't fly. Quit watching 3's Company!

You better believe he's boning her.
 deturns
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/25/2009 7:45:30 PM
No i would not date someone living with their Ex. Major turn-off.
They can wait to date until the living situation changes.
 jojoaus
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2009 7:48:07 PM
My SO goes back to see his kids each weekend 3 out of 4 weekends a month and I have no problem with it. He sleeps on the pull-out in the lounge. He spends the weekends cooking, cleaning and shopping because she does none of the above (she has a bad back, but the doctors say she really should get off her botty and move!! lol). Anyway- I admire him for doing it- he works 400 k's away from them so at least he gets to spend time with them. I realise this isn't quite the same as living 24/7 with an ex, but it has some of the same elements.
We have been together 18 months and do plan on moving in together when my kids finish schol this year.
 atlboy09
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/25/2009 8:27:18 PM
Bad idea not a chance in this world for this to turn out good. keep it moving
 TheReason_
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2009 8:40:40 PM
With all the available people here, why bother with that???
 bigben1731
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/25/2009 8:40:50 PM
no not a chance either give it a miss and move forward it wouldnt look great while there ex is in the picture and still living with them unless there ex was out of the picture for good but theres would be dramas and arguing its just not worth it avoid at all cost
 lovemesomemen
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/25/2009 9:37:06 PM
Depends. Is the ex hot and can I date her too? :-p j/k
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone still living with their Ex?