Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Myers-Briggs: What type are you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Polly_G
Msg: 1
Myers-Briggs: What type are you?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Just curious to know if anyone has done that Myers-Briggs Personality testing. I've had an interest in it for quite awhile ever since being tested at work.

Polly <------ ENTP
 Polly_G
Msg: 2
Myers-Briggs: What type are you?
Posted: 11/29/2005 8:26:54 AM
E: Extroverted - I tend to seek clarification by looking around my environment
N: Intuitive - Basically I live in my head and try to draw connections.
T: Thinking - I tend to base my decisions on logic rather than feelings
P: Perceiving - I'm always open to new ways of doing things and changes.

There is the webpage called www.personalitypage.com that explains the different 16 types in detail. There is an on-line test that I have given people in the past at:

http://similarminds.com/personality_tests.html

There are tons of tests there but go to the right column under Jung Tests and take the link to the short test (53 questions).

I tell people when they answer the questions try to be as honest as possible, pick the selection you "most" lean towards. Also keep in mind that we learn, grow, and compensate for our faults. So try to select what your natural instinct is to do rather than what you would actually do.

I find learning about different personalities has really helped me be less confused by those around me. We really do think differently. Its not a good or bad thing. For traits I don't admire in people there are usually other traits I do. Myers-Briggs helped me look at the positive traits in people more rather than focusing on the negative.
 MellyBabez
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/29/2005 8:52:26 AM
DO you guys have a website for this test, or what?
 Polly_G
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/29/2005 8:55:17 AM
There is the webpage called www.personalitypage.com that explains the different 16 types in detail. There is an on-line test that I have given people in the past at:

http://similarminds.com/personality_tests.html

There are tons of tests there but go to the right column under Jung Tests and take the link to the short test (53 questions).

I tell people when they answer the questions try to be as honest as possible, pick the selection you "most" lean towards. Also keep in mind that we learn, grow, and compensate for our faults. So try to select what your natural instinct is to do rather than what you would actually do.

I find learning about different personalities has really helped me be less confused by those around me. We really do think differently. Its not a good or bad thing. For traits I don't admire in people there are usually other traits I do. Myers-Briggs helped me look at the positive traits in people more rather than focusing on the negative.
 MellyBabez
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/29/2005 8:57:01 AM
Thankyou :) ill let you knwo what my results are
 Polly_G
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/29/2005 9:16:28 AM
Hmm I'd have to check out out my results again and am the process of moving so have no clue where they are.

I'm only about 51% extroverted though
Intuition I'm about 78%
Thinking I'm about 60%
Perceiving I'm about 70%

ENTP - The Visionary
"ENTPs are upbeat visionaries. They highly value knowledge, and spend much of their lives seeking a higher understanding. They live in the world of possibilities, and become excited about concepts, challenges and difficulties. When presented with a problem, they're good at improvising and quickly come up with a creative solution. Creative, clever, curious, and theoretical, ENTPs have a broad range of possibilities in their lives. "

And currently unemployed LOL

approx. 3% of the population...according to www.personalitypage.com my ideal match is the INFJ...only 1% of the population

Polly_G
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/29/2005 9:37:25 AM
LOL! Yeah my family doesn't get me either. When I was growing up they thought I couldn't stick with stuff. What they didn't realize is that I just need lots of stuff to stick to. I can't commit myself to one interest...its too limiting.
 Polly_G
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/29/2005 10:03:38 AM
See that's interesting. I'm kind of the opposite. I will rarely tell my family about my achievements. I guess I feel that they couldn't give me the kind of recognition I want. They value very different things than I value. Like...keeping their houses neat for instances when I could care less.

As long as there are no fruitflies I'm happy.

I'm not jealous over how they treat my sister but it does seem strange to me. I know they are used to me always being able to take care of myself and feel I don't need them and well...its probably true. I'm like a cat who always lands on my feet.

It STILL would be nice though if they could think maybe "I" might want them to drop off that grocery care package too though. Just because I can solve my own problems doesn't mean I don't appreciate the effort when someone tries to help.
 Polly_G
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/29/2005 12:49:28 PM
Actually, I have been tested by a certified MBTI instructor. My results from that quiz came out pretty much identical to the one I took through the MBTI instructor.

I have tried several other quizes on-line and found that one to be more accurate.

I agree, you can't take this stuff too seriously but it really is a useful tool in getting to know yourself and other personalities better.

Polly_G
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/29/2005 1:23:41 PM
I don't use it to screen out potentials but I've been known to use it to screen them in.

I can get along with SFs but would tend not to date them. I have a lot of SF, NF, and NT friends. STs I have a harder time with. They don't understand me and don't trust my intuition.

Anyone with a well balanced personality can have a good/healthy relationship but when your single, use what tools you can!
 Polly_G
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/29/2005 5:44:38 PM

How funny Polly~~ I'm a jack of many trades, master of only a few

Too funny, I say that all the time. Do you ever feel like umm well to tell someone everything you can actually do sounds like bragging and even if you did, chances are they would be skeptical so you kind of downplay yourself for their benefit?

What’s the interpretation of the poorly defined self?

haha I like that. I'm pretty I'm E/I too. All it means is they function well in both realms.

Just means you are very adaptable and highly intuitive. You probably find you can function well in any environment.
 smith2267
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/21/2005 11:23:04 PM
INFP.
I really like ENFP women. If that's you, call me!
I won't rule out other types. Of course, an ESTJ and I are unlikely to get along!
 smith2267
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/21/2005 11:26:43 PM
>>Please keep in mind, no one above has actually completed a Myer-Briggs Assessment - you have completed a Meyer-Briggs Quiz

Not true in my case. I was tested by a school psychologist. I'm INFP.
 smith2267
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/21/2005 11:31:58 PM
I like the following personality types among women, from personal experience:
ENFP
INFP
INFJ
I guess if you're an NF, and you like my profile, call me!!
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2005 11:52:04 PM
ideal type - ENTJ,
real type - ENTP

hmm, i found it very interesting, pollyg;
thanks for posting!

smith2267
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/22/2005 8:21:19 AM
I'm a deep introvert...89%.
Anybody else?
 astrosky
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2005 10:12:05 AM
Tested years ago (at work)...INTJ.
 Polly_G
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/22/2005 2:45:09 PM
yep it is like looking into a mirror isn't it. Kind of freaky, especially if you are below 4% of the population in your personality type. You can definately emphathize with that whole feeling different thing.

I'm an ENTP but just barely extroverted. But even that that 51-52% I score it still makes a big difference in my personality. I can definately emphathise more with the extroverted part of me but I have no problems functioning as an Introvert. I like feedback but I don't need it to function . Which is how introverts functions. They will not usually go for feedback until their idea is well formulated in their head.

http://www.personalitypage.com/portraits.html gives a really good overview of each personality.
 smith2267
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/23/2005 8:04:06 AM
There are Yahoo groups for all of these types, where you can mingle among your own type. Or even other types.
 Thudpucker
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/23/2005 2:54:26 PM
Extroverted (E) 60% Introverted (I) 40%
Intuitive (N) 58.62% Sensing (S) 41.38%
Feeling (F) 65.52% Thinking (T) 34.48%
Perceiving (P) 64.52% Judging (J) 35.48%

My type is: ENFP
 Polly_G
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/24/2005 1:12:32 AM
Its not ignorant but we are highly competitive. We love debating and we love to win. But it has to be a deserved win so we aren't poor losers. In fact, I take winning in stride and tend not to make any kind of deal about it. Its the battle that's important.

I've just had to learn over time that I have to pick and chose what topics I speak about to whom. Its hard because you have all these ideas spinning in your head. You get excited about them and want to share.

But you can overwhelm people. I've been called overwhelming and intense but its that intensity that allows me to dig deep and learn a great deal. Overtime, I've learned to listen better, There is still room for improvement for sure. I just love sharing what I've learned. You just have to realize not everyone wants nor cares to hear it.

We are only 3% of the population so you have to seek out NT and NF types to share your intuitive ideas with. SFs can relate too. ST relationships are one's of mutual confusion. In particular ESTPs don't tend to "get" ENTPs and vice-versa.
 :
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2005 10:37:07 PM
ENTP/J

Pretty much divided down the middle on Judging / Perceiving, the archetypes fit me to a tee it is probably worth saying.

I like Jung’s arcthype work quite a lot actually. Has anyone heard about how Myers Briggs relates to the Keirsey Temperament Sorter? It connects this test back to Hippocrates a Greek Philosopher $60 – 377 BC. Pretty cool, this stuff goes way back. I am absolutely of sanguine temperament.
 Polly_G
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/25/2005 9:29:43 AM
The site I gave does but what I find interesting is that I see these "flaws" and don't really notice them as flaws because of my personality. Now I go into someone else's profile like an ESTP for example, and I find major flaws in their personality.

But the same would be for them, they would look at theirs and be happy with much of the characteristics I find as flaws and when reading mine I look like a crack pot to them. Its all about perspective. There is no right or wrong. Self-control is a wonderful thing. We all have negative aspects of our personality, without, many of our more positive aspects wouldn't exist. I find its about balance and having the self-control to control your own faults so you can function well in groups.

With every positive trait comes a negative one. For example, I'm not as sensitive to criticism as some other types are provided its constructive criticism. I want to be a good at the things I do and feedback is important to that process. The negative side of this is that I will criticize others in a logical manner not expecting them to be hurt. It makes me look insensitive when I'm not. I'm just sensitive about different things. Even now I find it difficult to criticize people because I don't want to hurt their feelings and am not always sure if what I'm going to say will. My experiences are that other people's feelings are hurt easier than mine. I am very emphathetic though so once I hurt their feelings I know it immediately and feel horrible. (I will also get frustrated with people who won't criticize me at all.)

Myers-Briggs has helped me deal with and accept people better I find. It helped explain for me some personality conflicts I had going on in my life. Once I better understood their perspective it made appreciate their inputs a lot more. Its not even about exactly knowing the personality type you are dealing with, its realizing that these differences do exist. We might all know it logically but Myers-Briggs helps put it into a context that we understand it better so can function more harmonously together.

As for the accuracy, that's where the percentages come into play. I have some of the characteristics of an INTP as well but on a fundamental level, I am an ENTP. If I spent a great deal of time alone I might start actually testing as an INTP on a fundamental level. Don't over-analyze it though. There will be variations and someone who was trained could explain to you exactly what those meant but its not really necessary to take some of the broader lessons Myers-Briggs has to offer. Some people test almost 50/50 on all 4 of the scales so they are extremely adaptable and there are only hints at their dominant personality traits.

I used the percentages as an indication that yes, there are areas I need to improve upon. I test really high on the intuitive scale and really low on the sensing. What that means is I'm not as connected with my environment as I should be and that does cause problems in life. So regardless of how fun and educational it is to stay in the realm of thought and theory I need to come down to earth more to actually get stuff done.

Yeah, hanging out here in the POF forums is really helping that
 junipermoon
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2006 9:08:30 AM
extremely expressed introvert/thinking personality here.
 smith2267
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/20/2006 9:35:26 AM
I am looking for ENFP women, any such please contact me.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Myers-Briggs: What type are you?