Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Classical Music      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lyrical heart
Msg: 1
Classical MusicPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I'm not referring to "classic rock'n'roll" although I enjoy some of that too.

I mean composers like - the three B's Bach Beethoven and Brahms and Mozart
- the romantics, Chopin, Debussy Rachmaninoff etc.
- the early composers - Byrd Tallis, Vittoria etc. etc.
- the Baroque composers - Vivialdi etc.

Am I the only one????
 PakanaHerruus
Msg: 2
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/26/2004 1:04:57 PM
i like some classical.. alot of metal has infuences of classical music.. so sometimes i just listen to some of the influences.. there is a band called Haggard.. where they play mainly classical with some metal influences.. used to be the other way around..
 ousu
Msg: 3
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/26/2004 1:23:25 PM
I listen also classical, specially when working. I do not have certain favourites but I do like at least some pieces of Mozart (ah, I went to Prague to see Don Giovanni in original place :)
and Prokojeff... and.... hmmmm.... I should say Sibelius but then I would be lying :p
 lyrical heart
Msg: 4
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/26/2004 1:31:35 PM
Oh, how lucky you were to see Don Giovanni live!

I also like the Trans Siberian Orchestra (name may not be correct). They're original.
I tend to like world music and off-beat groups like the Flying Bulgar Klezmer band.

But classical music will always be my first love. I'm currently learning a Bach fuge (piano) and may someday master it as I have done with one or two others.
 ousu
Msg: 5
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/26/2004 1:42:42 PM
Great :)))
Also world music! Hmmmm, do you know Goran Bregovic??? One of my favourites.
I was listening during the Xmas time Trans-Siberian Orchestra's CDs "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" and "The Christmas Attic" :D
Then I am crazy for Andrea Bocelli and some pieces sung by Montserrat Caballe.

To see Don Giovanni in the original theater it had its first night was a nice experience. It was odd to think Mozart had been watching his piece there, as well :)

So you play piano, Lyrical? :) I wish I could. I bought one for my daughter when she was 6 but she preferred drums :p
 honey_kizzes
Msg: 6
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/26/2004 2:50:46 PM
I enjoy classical music, I find it very soothing to my psyche....
I am the biggest fan of Beethoven and Mozart I could just listen to them, and loose myself in thier melodies...
 SetFree
Msg: 7
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/26/2004 3:13:02 PM
I love it!!!! Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, and Mozart are amongst my favourites.

I'm a big fan of the violin (in classical realms), and the fiddle (in non-classical realms)
 FictionWriter901
Msg: 8
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/26/2004 7:37:00 PM
I like it, too- great stuff! I saw a July 4th display a couple years ago where the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra played the venue, and right when they hit the crescendo of the 1812 Overture is when they shot off the fireworks. I loved it!

Believe it or not, classical music also can be great to work out to- depending, of course, on the selection...
 SetFree
Msg: 9
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/26/2004 8:32:47 PM
Yeah - you get a good classical mix going, and you can have a great workout!
 lyrical heart
Msg: 10
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/27/2004 8:24:12 AM
AgentPK - yes, you certainly can use classical music as workout music. Some of the trumpet concertos work well and there are many other upbeat choices.

For meditation and contemplation etc. I like Tallis's work and Mozart's Ave Verum - sublime music that takes you to another world.
 Fiddlenotes
Msg: 11
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/28/2004 12:27:26 PM
Was wondering the same thing myself. I'm listening to a CD of Nadja Solerno-Sonnenburg play the soundtrack to "Humoresque" right now. I saw her live at the Kennedy Center about 5 years ago (front row seat even) and she is awesome!!
 jimi77
Msg: 12
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 12/28/2004 4:20:02 PM
i like it.. i can't say i go down the road blasting it playing maistro or anything.. but i love the music.. very moving.
 wlmh65
Msg: 13
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/1/2005 1:15:32 PM
try blasting the Allegro con fuoco from Dvorak's ninth.
 wlmh65
Msg: 14
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/1/2005 1:17:01 PM
oh yeah, and I'm such a fan of opera that I'm travelling 1000 miles to see Anna Netrebko perform in LA in February. any other Netrebko fans out there?
 FenderWitch
Msg: 15
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/2/2005 11:53:55 AM
I'm a BIG Vivaldi fan myself...but yeah Beethoven Mozart...and Chopin...all great on my list..it was hard for me to get into at first but being a violinist turned guitarist i learned to appreciate it!
 Stamp
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/3/2005 7:56:51 AM
Piano Concertos! oh baby! theres nothing like Warsaw or Tchaikovsky or some Booming Beethoven while working! I also crank the bass up for Romeo and Juliet and "Sunrise"!
 ScottMorfitt
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/3/2005 11:48:00 PM
I really dig Steve Reich, Phillip Glass, the Kronos Quartet, and some John Adams, but, is that too modern? I also like Rachmaninov and Tchavokski (I butchered that). Anything ambient or new is great with me.
 taurus516
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/4/2005 7:54:18 AM
I love classical music,particularly from Baroque period,although I do love Beethoven,especially the choral movement of the 9th symphony.It's awesome to think about Ludwig Van,being sick,deaf and nearly dying compopsing his last symphony which was dedicated to the joys of life.
 Elwood Blues
Msg: 19
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/4/2005 1:39:04 PM
anything by Mozart.. especially his comic operas: marriage of figaro, Don Giovanni...
Beethoven (the fifth especially)
Tchaikovsky
Wagner (Ring of the Niebelung)

Many more..
 OnTheBus
Msg: 20
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/4/2005 2:13:10 PM
I love classical
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/5/2005 6:31:43 AM
Classical is a first love. it's what really got me into music.

at first it was Fur Elise and Moonlight Senata...
then Carmina Burana "oh fortuna".

now...

Yascha Heifetz, any of his Violin Solo from the late 60 to his last stuff in the early 80's...

good music, should always make you feel something, whether it's feeling crazy and wanna jump around from a good Minor Threat song, to just smiling from ear to ear everytime I hear "Stayin Alive".... cause it's the cheesiest song ever, but I still wanna play around when i hear it...

Yascha Heifetz and the violin... everytime I listen to his solo work, it just makes me think, and draw, and feel creative. I feel alive and inspired when I hear it.
great stuff.

I perfer simple, Solo instruments over a orchestra, especially violins and cellos.

but my true favorite, is the piano.
solo Piano.

especially when listening to Silvia Colpa play.
I have heard many many people play things like moonlight senata... but never with such agreesiveness to bang on the keys so you can really feel the subtle parts of the song that a microphone just cannot pick up, yet, plays gently enough to keep the song as beautiful as ever. best renditions of any music I ever heard, was by her.

now, if only I could find a recording of her, playing Rachmaninoff I die a happy man.
it's so hard to find anyone that has the balls to play Rachmaninoff with any heart.
skill is different from heart...
any monkey can be trained to hit the right keys.
heart, in music, is when you can feel the intensity.
skill and rachmaninoff aren't enough.
you need to attack the keys, break the strings, and play till you hear nothing but the tap of the keys to the board. thats when you know rachmaninoff was played well...
 bells
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/5/2005 7:51:43 AM
love it, play it a lot, especially at work or when cleaning the house, beethoven is good for that!
Obviously beethoven, brahms, mozart, are fantastic, i adore opera especially - puccini and wagner.
some new composers are ok but not quite the same.
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 23
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/5/2005 8:42:20 AM
i'm with agent...classical music, especially the violin concertos are awesome. i had the pleasure of seeing nigel kennedy perform and it was fantastic. vivaldi can really rock!
but in my heart, i will always truly love and be inspired by mozart.
 aaaand
Msg: 24
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/5/2005 9:05:49 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes!
 lyrical heart
Msg: 25
Are there ANY fans of
Posted: 1/5/2005 12:18:50 PM
Hey! Great replies.

Can't remember who mentioned the Kronos quartet but I have one of their albums.

Love the Mozart operas and Verdi's. amd Puccini's etc.

As for Rachmaninoff, I actually have a recording of him playing some of his compositions. You might be able to find it in a reissue, but I'm not sure.

Now, if I could just manage to learn the Bach fugue I've been working on occasionally for months, I'd play it for myself all the way with tje spirit of Glenn Gould beside me, and no mistakes.

Dreams, ah dreams.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Classical Music