Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Who else is tired of the Fakers and Posers?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HereForTheForums
Msg: 4
Who else is tired of the Fakers and Posers?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
posers haha I haven't heard that word since I was in grade 8 hanging out with all the skaters :)
 linne
Msg: 6
Who else is tired of the Fakers and Posers?
Posted: 12/6/2005 7:11:14 PM
I hear this from so many people; I guess I have been lucky, all those I have met have been worthy humans.
 Tinkle
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/6/2005 7:31:13 PM
OP. Hi neighbor. U like little furry guys? If not, then you need to move. I think we live in a crappy area. Then again, I hear guys suck all over the place. /shrug
 Tinkle
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:37:05 PM
"""""""""""I thought a faker/poser meant someone that was using someone else's pictures. Usually men posing as women.

Does it apply to a player and/or dishonest people in general?"""""""""""""

Ya, I came across a girl using a internet model's pic yesterday. Using her name too. I hate that crap. I thought the same thing as you, when I read the title.
 marketguy
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/7/2005 6:22:36 AM
*raises hand*

*raises other hand*

*raises foot*

*raises other foot*

*falls to the ground*

*raises tongue*

Yeah, I'm all for this.
 jackyfrost01
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/4/2006 12:08:41 PM
I think posers exist because they are tired of being judged by there looks or whats on their profiles and they may have some onsecurity issues.

I don't think they are gay people necessarily like so many people suggest. I think there's real reasons.

Insecurity and frustration being the core I think. And a dash a desparation.
 get_over_it
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/11/2006 11:19:45 AM
real or fake... doesn't matter if the person isn't ever planning to meet anyone from here does it?

I'm just here for the forums and talking other people besides the 2 people I live with all the time.
 get_over_it
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:30:12 PM
that's true, hot. Men don't have sob stories. We're all made of rock and steel without emotion :)

Signed,
Mr Spock
 get_over_it
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/12/2006 3:06:44 AM
oooor

The people just don't feel you have a need to know who they are since they don't plan on meeting anyone from here and it may have all or nothing to do with self-esteem or cheating on a S.O.

They may only be to answer forums, as such, knowing everything about the person is unneccesary.

For some this is their only social outlet and it is a harmless, fun way to talk to other adults and get differing points of view from people you'd never otherwise meet.

There are a lot of reasons to be anonymous. Its not just black or white, there's a few shades of gray in between as well.
 sunshineface2
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:08:20 AM
haha so its ok if a female complains, but not a male?

Males just sposed to be iron walls of no emotion? just kidding
 get_over_it
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:19:18 AM
I thought of another couple reasons people do it (in case anyone's interested):

- attractive females tend to get a more positive response and are treated with more patience and tolerance than the rest of us. So it may be that the person posing is just trying to get a civilized or kind response to a posting they made without the sarcasm or callousness or impatience people treat overweight or old or less attractive persons with.

- in real life if you rub some people the wrong way they never let you live it down, no matter how much you may change or repent your ways. And your not always allowed to start over, therefore having to live with your decisions. I think the internet has made it possible to get a fresh start.

And no matter how much you might ignore them or report them, they are still there bugging you or trying to humiliate you in front of everyone.

If someone in a chat room or forum is arguing with you, trying to embarrass you or just won't let you live a previous posting down but you want to keep posting to the thread or chat with the others in the room, then the posers might create a second profile and return to that thread or chat room as a second person and be able to continue posting/chatting without being harrassed by those people that won't let them start over or move on.

Its kind of what I call the "Batman/Bruce Wayne" theory. You can be looking right at and talking to that 2nd person and never even know its that original person that you were harrassing. Hence the fresh start and being allowed to let things die. You can't do that in real life, but you can do it on the internet.

Just a pair of ideas.
 jackyfrost01
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/12/2006 12:20:10 PM
detect what?

Are you referring to malicious posers? or just people protecting their privacy? There's a difference. Not all Dalmations have the same spots.
 get_over_it
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:43:40 PM
hmm not really sure how ya could except for the really obvious like:

- pictures of famous people and models
- slutty profiles (?)

Otherwide people can put any old thing in a profile and post any ole pic and it would seem perfectly normal

other forms would be how someone speaks, I guess.
 LooseCannon
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:34:15 PM
such is the case with your pic. Anastasia. The question is, why are you scared. Remeber, image is based on other peoples perception. As much as people think that they can control thier image, they are dead wrong. If you choose to hide yourself from others, you have already caved to thier perceptions of your image. I find it sad to think that there are people out there who are scared to show themselves. I am sure I will have negative comments about this, but think about it, who are you really fooling. By posting a pic of someone else, someone else I recognize, it tells me you are insecure, you will hide yourself, which in turns means alot of work for something that will probably never amount to something. Just a thought.
 sunshineface2
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:39:34 PM
Good points, Loosecannon.

Maybe the person hiding behind that picture didn't even know who the person was that they were posing as. Now that would be funny.

I was confused about your last part... amounting to something? Maybe all that person wants i to remain safely unknown in which case they've attained their goal?

Just a thought of my own there.
 get_over_it
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:46:13 PM
Loose -

food for thought. is pointing out someone's mistake the best idea? You've just educated that person on what they did wrong. Now their gonna fix that mistake with a hearty "thank you" and come back with something that no one will recognize at all. Your calling them on it has potentially created a more educated and therefore stronger faker that will now be harder to spot thanks to your telling them what they did wrong.

There's always that chance you've embarrassed them into hiding and never coming back for fear of being ridiculed, but somehow I doubt it, given how easy it would be for them to fix the profile or make another one or simply take a break from POF until it blows over and everyone's forgotten about them.

Am I wrong? lol maybe I'm over analyzing... I got a headache
 LooseCannon
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/12/2006 7:33:53 PM
The truth comes out when it comes time to meet. Go ahead and hide behind a fake pic, doesn't bother me. You can usually tell when you are comfortable with someone enough to meet them. These fakers will show up thinking that "it's okay now they like me." Wrong B*tches! I will loathe you now and not because of the way you look but instead that you could not be staight and honest with me in the first place. So now they will go home boken hearted and have no one to blame but themselves, and I will not have a problem at all. I will keep looking and keep meeting. And if they try to come up with excuses for not meeting I will take it that they either A) Have some alterior motive or B) they are fakes.

You want the truth, than you better be able to deal with it even if you don't like it. And if you won't tell the truth, than you better be able to deal with being alone.
 get_over_it
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/12/2006 7:55:26 PM
Dude, read her profile:

"About Me
happily married mom
no dating
chatting to my friends online here"

I don't think it really matters if she has a bogus picture if she's not planning on meeting anyone does it?

Not that I care, but I don't really see what harm she's doing if she's just posting to forums and chatting on IM to her friends.

So that whole thing you just wrote doesn't even apply in her case. You are no doubt right in a lot of cases, but not every one that posts bogus info or pics is on here for an evil purpose. There's many reasons for them to do what they've done, I'm sure.

In any case I don't think she's going home crying or going to make up any excuses to not meet you, cuz she states in her profile very clearly no intent to meet anyone and probly figures, IMHO, that no one here really has a need to know what she looks like or any info about her if she's never planning on meeting anyone from here.

Makes sense to me. Did you even read the profile?

BTW should it come up, don't gig anyone on the female/male wishing to meet male/female part of the profile, cuz POF doesn't let you change that to "not looking". So thats not anyone's fault.
 sunshineface2
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/13/2006 3:28:36 AM
I noticed two things:

1. "Loose" has made no response to what "Get"said. So yeah maybe you should read the profile before calling someone names and accusing them of things. You don't know everyone's story.

2. Maybe she's a fan. Plenty of people got pics of their pets, cars, animation, or landscapes (like city skylines), but I don't see you ragging on them, or is it only because it a girl?

I noticed males don't get ragged on as much for their pictures. Just the girls.

Whatever their story. They sure aren't hurting me and I'm not going to worry about it, but I did find it interesting that after Get pointed out those things on her profile that there was further bashing on your end. Would've only took you 30 seconds to just look before posting all that crap, Loose.
 get_over_it
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:12:37 AM
I had a thought. I know its already "implied", but where does it actually say a profile picture HAS to be of that person?

Its says profile picture, not "user's mug shot". :) Just a thought.

I was looking at some of the colorful profiles around and was kinda thinking the pictures they had looked like posters in people's room. Ya know... just something they like to look at or are interested in while they are IMing or emailing friends.

BTW- JWharley ... very very well said.
 Pete73052
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:00:49 AM

Anyone want to share some detection tips for spotting these fiends?

Sure - I'll start.

1) Ask for a picture holding today's newspaper. Specify that the newspaper must not cover the person's body.
 Pete73052
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:33:36 AM

Besides its probly not real hard to find a picture or doctor one up with a person holding today's paper, assuming they read the paper (most people don't if they got internet access). But again, that alot of effort for someone you don't know. Why bother?

It was a joke.
 Pete73052
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/30/2006 12:04:33 PM
Sorry - I didn't mean to laugh at you.
 mandy21fca01
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:24:59 PM
personally i'd only worry about it if your planning on meeting someone, otherwise who cares? As long as the person can carry a conversation, I'll leave it at that
 LooseCannon
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/1/2006 8:48:27 PM
So here is the deal. I didn't reply because I was kicked off. But now that I am back I am going to set the record straight.

Firstly read the first post on this thread by miss I don't want to be seen. She states that she is looking for a guy and that she has been played like a violin. But why the F*cking fake pics. So you're comment about her profile is useless. If she was happily married she wouldn't be saying help me help me.

Secondly, this is a dating website. Not a just looking, Not a I want to be friends, not A I like to post my b*llshit non-sense on here to see If I can piss others off to the point of mental retardation. You want a friend than going F*cking watch Barnie and all his little prick friends on TV on Saturday morning, leave the dating websites for those who want to date.

Lastly, Males do gte ragged on for thier sh*t pictures all the time. The difference is, you don't go and post about it. Instead men have to spend thier time sending out Hello after Hello till finally we get a response to our shite. It doesn't bother me personally cause I don't reallly give a Sh*t what anyone thinks about me. I am comfortable with myself and will not hide behind any wall or picture and will not shy away from the spotlight or from confrontation.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Who else is tired of the Fakers and Posers?