Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does god exist?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lady Marie
Msg: 14
Does god exist?Page 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Well said, Dan.

I agree.
 smileygirl0617
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Does god exist?
Posted: 9/4/2005 2:43:48 PM
I agree with Jabers5. Who wants to die just find out they were wrong thinking that there wasn't a God. I don't know about you, But I'd hate to be wrong!

Smileygirl
 wonkavision
Msg: 34
Does god exist?
Posted: 11/19/2005 5:06:23 PM
"I did not suggesst that Einstein was not religious, or did not believe in god, but failed to scientifically prove god."

Okay, I'm going to take this chance to show that I am an equal opportunity debunker. As many know, I'm non-theistic, and I really don't want to get into a circular argument on that. I've already posted long statements on my philosophical position in other threads. I just have to say that princeofpersia- you are way out in left field on this. Einstein spent the majority of his life after his major contributions to physics trying to develop a unified field theory. Where did you get the idea he was ever trying to prove the existence of god? The existence of god is a philosophical conjecture, and, as a non-falsifiable conjecture has nothing to do with science. Einstein knew that, and his personal beliefs (he was really more of a pantheist than anything) have no bearing either way. It's not a scientific question.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 38
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 5:14:30 PM
mewtwo says:

I do not believe in God. One of the primary arguments I follow? The problem of Evil.

As much as GOD "Does" exist, so does Satan...hence the 'problem' of evil.

Or, as littletwin says below...

Can you prove he does not exist? If so please provide such.

DITTO...
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 40
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 5:29:00 PM

And his name is ralph.

Ralph, from the Simpson's?...

But no, the argument is NOT ridiculous;
You though, are simply chickening out the said argument.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 44
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 6:50:32 PM

Religion is stupid, and is for the stupids!

Your comments are in direct violation of posted Forum rules.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 47
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 7:33:57 PM
When you see a child suffering from leukaemia, you will have to concede that if God exists, he has a very twisted sense of humor in letting that child suffer.

While not wanting to bore readers by reposting 'all' of your above quote, let me simply reply by saying that you are forgetting the one very important part of the equation:

satan is alive and well on planet earth; he was the one that was responsible for bringing sin and suffering into the world, NOT God.
God does not want us to suffer; satan takes great delight in it.

and for what's his name above there:

I say that we all live in the matrix.

Prove me wrong.

Because it is a fictional movie, as the end credits even say.

But, you are only 19 years old, with obviously MUCH to learn in life yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For your below statement:

Then why doesn't God stop Satan? He is all loving...

He will, in the last Judgement, as stated in the Bible.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 55
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 7:48:49 PM
It's a fictional movie yes, but does this make the situation impossible? Not by a long shot...

You still have to prove it wrong.

By your very own admission, "it's a fictional movie", it therefore does not exist.
(You had referred spcifically to "The Movie".)

He will, in the last judgement, as stated in the Bible.

By waiting till the last judgement, he dooms countless lives to Hell by Satan's antics. This is not showing Maximal love...

Again, I will refer you back to us being created with 'Free Will'; hence we choose whether or not we follow 'good' or 'evil'.

Even all other religions in the world besides Christianity express concepts of good and evil.

Without getting into a year long debate on HOW we get to heaven or hell, or who specifically will go either way, the Bible does speak that God looks on the heart of man to judge him; we humans go by outward actions, etc.

God must do everything he can to show people the light to remain maximally loving.

He isn't doing everything he can because he doesn't provide irrefutable empirical evidence of his existence.

He DID, by sending His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to live among us, teach us, instruct us, guide us, then he was tortured, beaten, crucified to die for us, but He rose from the grave victorious to later ascend bodily to Heaven, with a promise to return the same way.

Canadian Romantic
Msg: 58
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 8:06:01 PM

I could 'refer' YOU to many writings/teachings!
i will not
all whom claim to KNOW anything bore me

So, which is it?

That's a clear contradiction there!

YOU say you could refer me to many writings and teachings, but yet claim any who know anything bore you??

So, are you then claiming that you know NOTHING?

So, are you trying to tell us you never went too far in any school system?
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 59
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 8:08:27 PM

And what if I want to become more powerful than Satan and God both. What if I'm the almighty that everyone should fear when I die.....cause I can't die..I'm immortal.

sooo, this mean you can fly too?

Let me know when you take your next flight, I'd LOVE to see that.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 62
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 8:14:01 PM

Just have to prove your right dont you.

gee, kinda like what you try to do in here?

Welcome to Freedom of Speech.

And, to the comment above, calling me "simpleton"?

That's against Forum Rules, something for which you can be banned for.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 65
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 8:28:55 PM
The evidence that Jesus even existed is called into question in this very day.

By WHO?

References Please.

(Even die hard atheists in here acknowledge that "Jesus Christ" existed, and even those same atheists say that those who would argue otherwise are but fools at best.)

Those that have no faith are condemned to eternity in Hell. This is not a balanced punishment and thus God isn't all loving.

Your childlike arguments are indicative of one not educated in a secondary scholarly system.
But, as stated above, God has clearly given mankind ample opportunities, warnings, and guildlines/instructions.
He is not a puppet master. It is our choices here that determine our path in the beyond.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 69
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 8:46:29 PM

The point is the bible was written by man makes it void. You have to....have to admit the stories, and I mean stories, are far-fetched.

Written by men, but Inspired By God & the Holy Spirit...

And, far fetched? By human thinking, yes, but impossible? No.

For example, Would a technical manual on a common Televison set make any sense to someone even of 100 years ago? And, SEEING said televison set on and working would be miraculous to them. Today? common place in most countries.

Even the 'Communicators' first used in the original Star Trek were thought to be far fetched; as in, tell someone in late 60's, that in 20 years, 'Communicators' (Cell phones) would be in existence, what would the answer be? "Far Fetched".

Faith, Bud, is the key. Belief "IN" the far fetched is what makes it unique.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 71
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 8:52:58 PM

Isn't this flaming? Are you not insulting me? I could report this...

Nope, I was pointing out your arguments, not "You".

as for your so-called site there bud: factual, proven, historical Roman AND Jewish documents mention Jesus Christ many times.

"Live with it."

I think he has something here, do you? If people can look at God's evidence and attribute it to other sources, then he isn't providing strong enough evidence...

2 books for you to read, both by 'Josh McDowell':

"Evidence That Demands a Verdict"

"More Evidence That Demands a Verdict" (A 'part 2' so to speak.)
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 74
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 9:06:36 PM

Both of which have had their arguments refuted

By those who gave mere opinions, misinformation and conjectures only, much like the site you posted earlier. One man's opinions, who has no recognised education on the subject matter, and shows mostly HIS drawings from the biblical texts.

As the TV commercials say loud and clear: "Stay in School Kid".

Come back when you can offer credible arguments;
otherwise, looks like it is past your bedtime...
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 77
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 9:35:13 PM
In addition, you are implying that god is powerless to stop "Satan". That is the only way you can explain all the suffering on earth. (Or that god chooses not interfere, implying that he is not compassionate).

1) God does hold satan back from what could be worse things; And, as Christians, we have the power even to overcome satan's tactics. (So, no, "I" did not imply what you wrote.)

2) Actually, miracles happen all over the world, every day.Ask many Doctors and nurses, they will tell you the same thing. So, again, your arguments of my 'implying' things are flawed and absolutely in error.

3) God's plan for the future may be beyond YOUR comprehension, but that does not make it invalid just because you don't understand it all fully at present.

Provide the counter evidence for Jesus Christ' existence

I have done so above, but since you are still here yapping, here are 2 other books for you to read, both by Josh McDowell and Don Stewart:
"Answers To Tough Questions" (Skeptics ask about the Christian Faith) and
"Reasons Skeptics should consider Christianity."

Dei Gratia
Msg: 78
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 9:39:51 PM
The simple fact here is look around you even Einstien knew the was a higher-power, that created everything we see.

As for Satan we know he was the first sin, as to God placing him in a deep hole very soon, It will happen. It is only due to God's promises that we wait for the world to see His return, in His time.

But there are times when God does say we are no greater then the master, if Jesus suffeered we will too. Now only because we reside on this earth of sin.

God most certainly does not wish us to die a sinful death, He is always willing to wait for you to make a better decision, you still have the will to take what ever road you choose but God will patently waiting and loving you all the same.
2Cor 12.9-10

Three times I begged God for this suffering to go away. But He replied, "My kindness is all you need. My power is the strongest when you are weak." So if Christ keeps giving me His power I will gladley brag about how weak I am.

Canadian Romantic
Msg: 81
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 9:58:49 PM
Those are taken care of by the site I gave to you. Don't you see? Just putting down book titles doesn't answer the question. Specify the evidence, or link to a site that has it. I also notice that you just dismissed my evidence as opinion, but you still haven't proved WHY they are untrue.

As I also explained before, 'that site' you posted in simply one (unscholarly) man's opinions only, written with a few pieces of gross misinformation.

But, giving you book titles for you to READ, does in fact 'answer the question'.

You wanted answers; I gave you reading material for said answers.
If you are too lazy to go and read, that is not my problem really.

To continue with your uneducated circular reasonings is not debate;
It is arguing for the sake of arguing, and not very mature or intelligent at all.

To be fair, Einstein didn't follow the Christian God at all. He was a proponent of Spinoza's idea of a Pantheistic god, dependent solely on nature.

Einstein's later writings indicate belief in a monotheistic God, try to keep up, eh?

And, your references though, have YOU now partially in admittance for some kind of higher power?

And, for what's her name above who said:

SATAN was the 'angel' of music -prior to being 'cast out'

Actually, satan (Lucifer) was the angel of Light, not music.

Dei Gratia
Msg: 82
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 10:05:55 PM
Music?? how about the name Lucifer?

Once know as such he was an angel of light.
Isaiah 14
12How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

He was the first sinner for he wanted to be a God. Why not? Well he was not a creator of the earth or anything you see around you only God can do such things by the power of His Word.

Dei Gratia
Msg: 83
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 10:06:12 PM
*error!*
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 85
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 10:27:27 PM

However, I refuse to cooperate any further.

Promise??

(I know, I know, your Mommy said it is time for bed...Good Night)
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 86
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 10:29:21 PM
Ok my friend if you do not wish to believe in the one who created you gave you the very air you breath, I will say that is so sad to hear.

Jesus known to some is God all Mighty who created everything you see around you. There are several examples of who and what he is in these very threads, but you probably do not wish to look at them and I can understand this. But what I do wish for you, is to try these two options....
1 read a book or see a movie called "the case for Christ" this is an investigative reporter that was on the hunt for proof of Christ. It will amaze you.

Now if you do not wish to do such, that is fine too for it is your chooice but I will hope for your sake that God makes His precence know to you before it is too late my friend.

I say this with all the love that Christ has shown me and expressed through me.

Canadian Romantic
Msg: 88
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/9/2005 10:45:21 PM
^^^^^ Since you have seemingly no understanding of the proper use of punctuations in the constraints of a sentence, who knows?

But, further, what does your ramblings have to do with this thread topic?

"yes, you from the audience?"...

"Correct...NOTHING."
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 94
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/10/2005 1:31:00 AM
When it comes to the possibility of God's existence, the Bible says that there are people who have seen sufficient evidence, but they have suppressed the truth about God. On the other hand, for those who want to know God if He is there, He says, "You will seek me and find me; when you seek me with all your heart, I will be found by you." Before you look at the facts surrounding God's existence, ask yourself, If God does exist, would I want to know Him?

A God that created everything you see gave you the very breath you breath gives you an uncomprehendable love always regardless of what you have done
For God has sent His son to Die for Your sins and each blow and hit has he taken for you. So that you do not die but see him on that day. That is how much God loves you.
 wonkavision
Msg: 101
Does god exist?
Posted: 12/10/2005 6:25:58 PM
"logic seems to be like common sense."

Well, not really. Logic, in relation to debate, is more about internal consistency. Productive critical analysis of an argument must remain internally consistent, or nothing is accomplished. You are probably familiar with the term "non sequitur." This is an amusing logical fallacy. If you were to state "Dogs are carnivores," and I responded, "Dogs are not carnivorous, because the sky is blue." That would offer nothing productive as a rejoinder. It does not address the premise, so it has no internal consistency in the argument. Ad Hominem is a common logical fallacy. If you state that "theft is destructive to society," and I respond "yeah, but you stole a magazine when you were 16," that is not internally consistent to the argument. Again, it does not address the premise of the argument, but instead diverts it to the person making the argument (actually this is particularly ad hominem tu quoque.) There are many logical fallacies that violate this need for internal consistency in order to carry out a productive debate, and you can see them routinely employed in the forums here. Common sense, on the other hand, is more the ability to extrapolate reasoned daily decisions from the pool of knowledge available in ones culture. Just for a little levity- the following excerpt is from a brilliant Monty Python sketch, and it sort makes the point about logic and debate.

Man: I came here for a good argument.

Mr Vibrating: No you didn't, you came here for an argument.

Man: Well, an argument's not the same as contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: It can be.

Man: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a definite proposition.

Mr Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: Yes it is. It isn't just contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

Man: But it isn't just saying "No it isn't".

Mr Vibrating: Yes it is.

Man: No it isn't, an argument is an intellectual process... contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

Mr Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: Yes it is.

Mr Vibrating: Not at all.

Man: Now look!
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does god exist?