Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How many women would want to live on a farm?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mustangsally1273
Msg: 4
view profile
History
How many women would want to live on a farm?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
In a heartbeat!!! Dream life for me...I'd want a second barn just for working on/storing cars though!!!!
 mogrl
Msg: 6
How many women would want to live on a farm?
Posted: 12/17/2005 2:50:24 PM
i would in a heartbeat
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:55:23 PM
Well, it sounds kinda romantical, I mean who doesn't love a farm? However, I have always had neighbors close by, and I think being far out in the middle of nowhere would really freak me out. Not to mention having to go 'to town' every time you realized you were low on O.J.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:17:39 PM
And thats another thing...I'm not sure I'd be able to eat anything I had previously given a name to. :(
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/17/2005 11:05:50 PM
I think we have a match, Chuck!
 Thudpucker
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/18/2005 10:28:56 AM
@ O-T-B

". . . a bit of organic cheese . . . . But I seriously doubt that there is a chick out there who is made for it. "

What an udderly ridiculous thought!
 dave1234
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:05:50 AM
Looks like you struck the motherlode, Aylesford. The ladies are lining up.
 tickle_me123
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/19/2005 10:52:03 AM

I'd love to live on a ranch, raise horses and paint on the side, but it would have to be close to a big city.

Unless urban sprawl isn't devouring farm land at the alarming rate in Canada as here in the US, you'll want to be sure that the property you purchase is well away from the nearest city limits. The pace of urban development continues to amaze me. I'm not one to deny anyone the dream of owning their own home, but at some point this voracious appetite for new development is going to threaten the farmers' ability to produce enough food to meet demand.

Farm life today almost requires that either one or both of the spouses work at an off-farm job to enable enough family cash flow. The capital investment of the average family farm is astronomical and the return on investment must often be measured by the intangibles involved in farm life. As others have alluded, it's not a 9 to 5 job. Planting and harvest seasons involve working while the weather is favorable. Outside of those two busy seasons the pace can be quite a bit slower, perhaps even leisurely. Engaging in a livestock operation adds more daily chores.

It takes a remarkable woman who finds the farm/country life appealing these days. Of course, as pointed out above, there are many variations of rural/country life from no more than living on an acreage outside of town to the full on farm as the life-long business. I think any farmer needs to be completely upfront with their prospective mate. They need to know the level of involvement that the farming operations have on daily life. Farming is hard on marriages these days particularly if the farmer is still involved with mom and dad. The prospective spouse will often have to "prove" themselves as able farm hands before a harmonious relationship with the inlaws can exist. This can be a difficult concept for many people to accept.

Successful longterm relationships are difficult. Trying to maintain a longterm relationship when both partners aren't fully committed to the farming operation is a recipe for failure on each front. Sadly, too many farmers will put the farm first before family commitments which will create resentment.

For any woman getting involved with a farmer, you have to step back and take a long objective look at the farmer. Does he have any off-farm interests? Does he do other things that require scheduling the farm work to meet those commitments? If not, then you won't have much success getting him off the farm and to junior's ball games or missy's music recitals. If everything he does and thinks about involves the farm, then he probably won't understand your need to get away or have other interests. I don't wish to scare anyone off, but these are harsh realities that need to be faced and understood. Many farmers love the land more than anything or anyone.

Ladies, just be aware of what you could be getting into with a life-long farmer. It is a very rewarding life and it takes a very special couple to operate a successful farm and raise a family in the process and it certainly won't be easy even in the best of times.

Good luck!
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/9/2011 10:44:12 AM
I would! And, I can work a barn, & so can both of my children! We have experience with but not limited to the following: We can feed, water, grain, bathe, groom & trim manes. Can also braid tails of horses & ponies. I'll pick out horse feet if I have to, but I prefer not to. We can let the horses & ponies out, several at once, into the arena to excercise, we can also ride! My daughter was a trail guide, & can also ride bareback, & has done so at night. I'm sure I would fall off if I tried that. We also have experience w/dogs goats, pigs, Pot Belly pigs, chickens, roosters, barn cats, mice, snakes, & probably some other critters that I'm forgetting at the moment. I wouldn't miss the city at all. As long as I had my own horse, & my daughter had her own too, I'm happy as a pig in mud!
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/9/2011 11:46:15 AM
I am living out in farm country right now, & i am not fond of it.
I moved out to a more country-esque part of Florida to put my kids in one of the best schools the state has to offer.
I would rather be back in Key West or Miami. I miss living on the islands living the tropical life, with weekend trips to Maimi to enjoy the big city.

It just isnt for everybody. I crave the city & the islands.

But, it has it's good points. I found a large, lovely, Grecian style home with a humungous yard that i adore. My kids are getting a top notch education in a brand new state of the art school.We are closer to Disney World, & i have gotten myself & my children annual passes, we are close to Daytona Beach, we have some amazing natural Springs and nature trails, and i have made some amazing friends. As nice as it is though, i cant picture myself being here forever, though.
 Missiea
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/9/2011 12:31:26 PM
I have a thing for farm boys.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/9/2011 12:38:26 PM
Well...I do have a small farm and have worked hard at it all my life plus having full time jobs...loved the lifestyle. Sadly it is up for sale now...just too much work alone! I am a little comprhensive on whether I'll enjoy living in the city but look at it as another phase of life...
How's the saying go..Can take the "girl" out of the country but can never take the "country" out of the girl.
 addictedpoetess
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/9/2011 1:27:15 PM
meeee.... but it has to be organic :)
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/9/2011 1:34:40 PM
I would under certain conditions...

I'd have to be close enough to some "city" stuff. There would have to be a social community near the farm & I wouldn't be doing heavy labor. I'm an older woman. I would love to downsize & live a "greener lifestyle", & love tiny houses- I've even read the humanure handbook ;0)

Of course it wouldn't hurt to have a strapping hunk (albeit middle-aged) who would wear overalls (nothing underneath) & take me for a tumble in the hayloft
 sexyazzkay
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2011 1:43:09 PM
I hate city life! I would move in a new york minute!
Besides, I love country men. :-)
 blackchic
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/9/2011 3:33:56 PM
depends on how far away the eminities are. 5-10 mins...OK. 20 minutes or more, hell no! I'm talking about grocery stores, gas stations, McDonalds, etc....
 azdreaming35
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/9/2011 3:41:48 PM
My ex-husband's family had a farm that has been passed through generations. Being the eldest child, he was first in line to inherit the farm once his dad retired. They raised 100 head of horses around 1000 head of hog and planted and harvested approximately 400 acres of corn and soybeans every year. I always liked the idea of living on the farm because of the wide open spaces, and the four-wheeler, of course, but I didn't like that on nice days you couldn't have the windows open if the wind was blowing a certain way otherwise the house would smell like farm animals or that you had to have 300 things on your shopping list to justify driving into town. I like city life...the grocery store is walking distance, there's a convenience store open all night right across the street, and downtown is just a short drive away.
 home_osorio
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/9/2011 4:02:56 PM
naw i do not want to live in a farm. naw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 irishgirl524
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/9/2011 4:49:41 PM
I would, the further away from any big city the better. I am tired of the discontent people have for their neighbors, their communities, and for real communication. I say throw out the cell phones and put me in a better place I would love it.
 _shakti_
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/9/2011 4:53:37 PM
I work in a small town and many of my coworkers are also farmers or were brought up in that lifestyle. I can't count how many times I have had to sit there and listen to stuff that I have no way to relate to. It just isn't my thing and would never work for me.
 egowitch
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/9/2011 5:47:44 PM
I live in an area with farms all around - yet I'm very near town. Best of both worlds - so no need/desire to move !
 junipermoon
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 6:41:29 PM
i would love to live on a farm! an organic herb and vegetable farm, specifically.

and i'd have to have a few barn cats, a couple more in the house and 2-3 that kind of do both. and a few mustangs. and maybe a couple icelandic horses. all rescues, of course. and some fainting goats.

i love barns and fields and gardens and tractors and compost.

so, yeah, count me in.
 Monica417
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/22/2011 3:18:42 PM
Me! Me! Me!

Admittedly, I don't have any experience on a farm, but it is my dream to be able to afford some acreage and have chickens, goats, maybe a horse or two. A small orchard, berries, nut trees, herbs, vegetable garden, etc...The stuff I would need to live off the grid, I guess. I KNOW I wouldn't want to live on a poultry or dairy farm, poultry is too smelly and dairy is too smelly and a lot of work! I LOVE horses though, and could deal with them and some companion animals.

Yeah, that is such a dream for myself AND my son.
 cutenperky2
Msg: 77
Posted: 11/22/2011 3:22:16 PM
I would love to leave the NY metro area for a farm... or anyplace more laid back.. .the NY area way to fast paced for me.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How many women would want to live on a farm?