Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 msquared
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political ScientistPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
As I recall, Groseclose also 'determined' that Fox news is fair and balanced. Oh yeah, I guess I'm going to believe everything he writes, then.
 raverdad
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:43:27 PM

I agree. Fox is very biased.

if you standard of comarison ie wha tis normal is based off a left leaning media tilt then what your percieve as bias might actually be balanced.
 petetoky
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:45:41 PM
All Journalists, find out way early in the game..that the media does not want the truth. And unless the journalist leans left or writes about LIBERAL things. He/She will have a very hard time with their career. There are very few OPENLY right-journalists that survive the game.
 Polly_G
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:51:11 PM
Popular media is the WORST place to go to if you are looking for unbiased information.

Is there even a thing as unbiased information? Even reading reports from places like Human Rights Watch is biased because they are pointing out the human impacts in their reports.

I'm afraid there is no easy way at the truth and the truth is relative to each individual. The best way to go about it is by reading views from various perspectives and coming up with your own conclusions.
 DeagleNINja
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/19/2005 6:57:42 PM
Amazing....

This thread hasn't devolved into the usual extremist POVs (yet)

For those of us that really understand what liberal and conservative mean, this shouldn't be suprising. Our government, at least for the past 25 years, has been rather conservative. Therefore it makes sense that programs depending on federal funding are rather conservative.

The media as well as buisness in general tend to be liberal in the sense that they want to reach out to all of America (if not the world), not just a part of it. This is why stores embrace the 'Holiday Season' rather than just Christmas. It isn't an attack on Christmas as Pat Robertson would have us believe, rather it is an attempt to be inclusive not exclusive.

Older Americans are more likely to get their news from 'old media' such as radio, or newspapers, which not suprisingly tend to be more conservative. Younger Americans tend to get their news from the internet, which tends to be more liberal. It's all about target audiences people.

Some would have us believe that this nation is deeply divided about issues like abortion, religion, immigration, the war on 'terror', etc. This is simply not the case. Nearly all Americans, regardless of wealth or race or sexual disposition are socially liberal and finacially conservative.

In other words, we want people to have rights, basic assistance when needed, school programs like P.E., art, music, foreign languages. But we also want a government that can balance its checkbook.
 PoliticalWiseGuy
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/30/2007 1:40:00 PM
You doubt Fox News is fair? I will name, off the top of my head, "REGULARLY paid contributors on Fox's payroll who are Liberals/Democrats. Please name for me all of the Conservatives/Republicamns who are regularly paind contributors on all of Fox's competition, combined. Fox employs, Greta Van Susterin, Alan Colmes, Lanny Davis, Susan Esterich, Gloria Allred, Bob Beckel, Mara Liason, Juan Williams, Keith Watters, Geoffrey Feiger, Mark Halpin, Ellis Henican, Greg Hymovitz, Geraldo Rivera and countless others. I will wait for the list on the other side. Don't you get it Liberals? When the other viewpoint is offered, you lose big time. Fox not only has more then double the viewership of their closest competitor, they are in 20% fewer homes than their closest competitor....CNN....
 PoliticalWiseGuy
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/30/2007 1:49:17 PM
Nice try on that argument, but not even remotely true.....can you recall a reporter ever ask a Presidential candidate when he/she first had sex with their spouse, as Mike Wallace recently asked Mitt Romney? Can you tell me the names of the reporters who questioned Clinton for attacking Haiti, Serbia and Somalia? I don't recall the media asking me if I favored slaughtering 3000 Christians when it was convenient for the Arkansas Hillbilly to attack 3 nations that "did not attack us." 89% of the Washington Press Corps voted for the Democratic candidate in the last 4 elections. The mainstream media is so blatantly biased against Conservatives, it is not even funny.
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2007 6:41:43 AM
Yes, illberal garbage is all, but the media when it comes to poltical reportings tends to learn to the left. Fox news sometimes tells it like it is at times, and I dont agree with ethier fox or CNN 100% of the time.
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2007 10:50:20 AM
Not about golbal warming ? Early 20th century cities air quality was a lot worse with smokestack factories, sooty trains running all hours of the night. Still, jouralism is baised to one side or another by the way the story is presented. Still, who cares if it baised to the left or right politcally its about freedom of speech and expression. Freedom is better anyday than tranny or fascism and openly disagreeing is what a modern society does.
 PoliticalWiseGuy
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/1/2007 6:15:54 PM
Once again, here is your lesson...................as I already pointed out with just a handful of names previously posted, Fox news employs far far far far more Liberals as regularly paid contributors on their payrolls than their combined competition employ Conservatives. Prior to FNC, you heard one side....America is evil, we are the villians, we are bullies etc...and finally when Americans hear another side to the story, it seems FNC beats the living &*^%*$ out of their competition....remember, they more than double their closest competitor in viewership....and yet are in 20% fewer homes than CNN.........care to explain that? Furthermore, they have owned the cable news wars since shortly after their beginning. Combine that with the fact the nightly newsanchors are so so so biased to the left......as they continue to denounce America.....is it any wonder the left keeps getting hammered in Presidential elections?
 flyguy51
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/1/2007 10:33:53 PM
I wouldn't say that the media has a leftist bias so much as I'd say it has a sensationalist bias. How is bombarding us with "news" about Anna Nicole Smith and Paris Hilton politically motivated? I'd also say that the media has a pro-corporate America bias. That's commonly thought of as conservative territory. The media is staunchly pro-Israel, staunchly anti-Palestine, and anti-Islam. One could fill volumes, as MG pointed out, with liberal-friendly stories that do not get covered.

Part of the problem is that I think people are equating "Democrat" with "liberal." That's not always the case. Many true progressives are very, very disappointed and frustrated with the Democratic Party in the US. The two main parties in the US do not fully describe the political leanings of its citizens, and that's an understatement. Many reporters may have a bias towards the Dems, but some automatically take that to mean they are Communist or terrorist sympathizers. How simple-minded...

Bottom line: the media has a bottom line bias (profit). What makes the money gets the coverage. Everything has a bias of some sort. It is up to the educated viewer to determine how deep the bias is and how truthful the presentation is. If you get all your info from one source (or highly similar sources), then realize that your perspective may not be fully "balanced," shall we say?
 PoliticalWiseGuy
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/2/2007 12:26:04 AM
I am part Palestinian.....do not try and tell me how the media is anti-Palestinian. Anti-Islamic? Are you kidding me? The Abu-Ghraib so-called scandal shows just how much the mainstream media PANDERS to moslems. Equating a handful of pictures that slightly humiliated people who regularly behead one for merely NOT being a Moslem is quite comical. When my ancestral brethren teach strapping bombs on even young children and target others going to school, I will indeed object to it. Please tell me the last time you heard an Israeli or Christian blow themselves up on a schoolbus full of Moslem Children or in a Moslem school or nightclub.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2007 9:18:32 AM
Why should news have a lean?

When a story is presented in a factual way, there should be no lean. Does any news agency do this?
 gtomustang
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/2/2007 9:56:24 AM
America is by definition, a liberal country. It is because the people in it believe in the rights of the individual over the rights of the group. The Founding Fathers fought against a single ruler named King George (ironic, eh?) and wrote up a second government (after the Articles of Confederation did not work) establishing these rights, and weakening the government. Heck, the free market economy we think of, was considered to be very liberal in asking for "hands off" treatment.

So, sure, journalists living in America may naturally have what could be considered a liberal bent. But, does liberalism cover every base? That is, can people be socially conservative but economically liberal? Sure they can--there are people who don't want same-sex marriage but want social programs, for example.

The media is owned by corporations. General Electric, for example, owns NBC, MSNBC, etc. Are you going to hear these mediums rail against nuclear power, or report how poorly the Patriot missile did in 1991? No. I don't imagine the Pentagon Papers of this generation getting printed while news media know this administration is its best chance of getting FCC rules overturned. Plus, in order to cut costs like any good corporation, if you are faced with a decision of hunting down news on Iraq or showing up at the Pentagon to have it spoon-fed to you, well...which is the financially responsible choice?

When former generals are faced with war protesters on national TV, then I'll admit, there is a massive liberal bias in the media :) But reporters like Woodward find that the more successful they are, the more money they make, and the more access to "celebrity" politicians they get. Its pretty hard to stay "liberal" among that company...
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2007 7:01:07 AM

Disagree,
The reason these stories are not on the so called "news" is because the public does not demand it. The public demands Paris Hilton, OJ type news. The media just spoon feeds us what we demand, because as stated before....man they like profit and veiwers.
That is not right nor left leaning. It is just a fact that what is considered "news worthy".

We are a serve us quick and make us happy nation. We do not wish to think or digest. We want glamor and gossip. Tune into any regular news say ABC, CBS, NBC. A couple headlines for 5 minutes then 25 minutes of Health or Entertainment or Lifestyles.

Instead of arguing over right or left leaning basis we all should be pissed we are feed this fluff! Hard reporting is DONE...OVER...NADDA.
These threads about left or right leaning are getting as bad as...well I am going to say it...NICE GUY THREADS...

Well said, Wolves... I couldn't agree more.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2007 1:31:44 PM
Many years ago, I attended a speech by Nixon shortly before he resigned. There was nothing remarkable about the speech or the event. That evening, I was listening to the radio when the regular hourly news report came on. The leading story was about boos and heckling at the speech I had just attended. It simply did not happen. The audio byte was edited to add the protests that supposedly interrupted the rather dull speech!

I have since been close to a number of events covered by the press and have yet to see a single accurate depiction of the event. In one case, it was car wreck caused by teenagers not paying attention, crossing the middle of the road and crashing headon into a large truck. I was the only real witness and was driving a car behind the teenagers. I told the reporter exactly what happened. All the others survived but were not inany shape to talk to anyone. I could see the driver turning around looking for something in the back seat and swerving into the oncomming lane. The official accident report by the police did their measurements etc. and it confirmed exactly what I saw. The story the next day read that the truck crossed the road and hit the car with innocent teenagers in it. The worst injury was the truck driver and lost full pay and overtime he would have gotten working. The teenage driver did not carry insurance so the truck owners had to pay for repairs to their truck which far exceeded the value of the kid's car. The damage to the reputation of the company and the truck driver was never considered.

In neither of these cases was there any editorial comment but the so called facts were completely false and took a decidely liberal bias.

During the bicentenial celebrations, Peter Jennings reported on Operation Sail in which sailing ships from the past sailed in reveiw past the Statue of Liberty. One of these boats was a restored racing J class yacht built during the hey day of America's cup yacht racing in the 1920's. It had been owned by Sir Thomas Lipton and lost to an American yacht owned by Vanderbilt that was later scrapped for it metal for WWII. In the introduction for the boat, Petter Jennings said the boat was used in the tea trade. Sorry, wrong century, wrong type of boat, no correction.

I could go on about the prize winning NY times series about a kid growing up to be a drug dealer that was fabricated or the CBS story about papers proving Bush lied that were themselves manufactured but I don't have personal experience with those stories. Editorial comments can be as biased as they want since they are relatively easy to dismiss. Creating lies to sell stories appears to be the norm and they often reveal a liberal or populist bias. One could examine the campain of Ross "Payroll" that probably cost Bush senior re-election. He campained against NAFTA saying it would take jobs from Americans by sending them to Mexico and Canada. He got lots of sympathetic press for a third party although he was on less ballots than the Libertarian party. Since his business interests and that of his son largly involve selling programming services from India, I can see how worry over competition from Canada could be a problem for his income under NAFTA.

I note that a previous post said that most Americans were social liberals and fiscal conservatives yet has anyone heard the press mention the Libertarian party that represents that point of view?
 agoramatic
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/5/2007 3:11:41 AM
Wait, we needed a study to establish this?
 TRAVELING4US_2013
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2007 10:26:37 AM
$ $$ $$$$$$$$$,, In this Capitalistic Society, anything can be bought, or sold to the highest bidder. Newspapers, radio,tv, reporters, columnists,politicians,etc, etc,-----Caveat Emptor,,there's plenty of Media -Benedict Arnolds- out there! (public,"mind,conditioning "relations,!!
 mungojoe
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/8/2007 2:57:02 PM
I guess this all depends on where you live , what you're interested in , and whether or not you can admit the obvious.

For example , where I live we have two major dailies. The Free Press is rather balanced really but if it leans to either side it has to be the left. The Sun on the other hand definitely leans to the right.

We see a very different picture in the media here than the US. The same company will own both balanced and right leaning papers here. As example, the National Post (very conservative editorially and newswise) is owned by the same company that owns the Ottawa Citizen (usually very balanced newswise and has an even mix of both left and right editorially). The Sun is also very right-leaning editorially and, compared to the regular broadsheets, is pretty much a "yellow rag" (focussing on sensasionlism in the news). You will be unlikely to see that same level of journalistic freedom in a US chain.

The really funny thing is that the vast majority of media that is classed as "leftist" in the US is center-right anywhere else (they seem to have their own unique vision of left-right there) and the media classed as right-leaning would be, well, close to fascist-nationalist.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2007 5:59:42 PM
First of all, this study does not seem scientific but rather ideological. What is the Left? The Democratic party is quite far to the right of many Democrats of the past. The reporters are probably to the Left on social issues. Are they on economic issues? We need a break down of what these views are coming from these reporters. If there is a bias to the Left it is such a small one in my view. Of course, for many Republicans it is a major bias. However, we all know that people who for example would advocate for universal health care get very little coverage in the media whether in print or on television. CNN talks about that stuff more than the others, but it was Michael Moore's movie that kind of got them talking about it recently.
Such an important issue in a supposedly liberal media shouldn't be discussed only because Michael Moore produced a video. I don't buy this media really being biased toward the Left unless that just means someone even a tiny bit to the Left of the Republican party which is essentially what it is these days. What really separates the two parties is social views and also views of the world. More people on the Left are aware of other countries, relations with them, the complexities of dealing with them etc... You could argue that George Bush senior was quite to the Left of his son.
Actually, he was. He was closer to your average Democrat than to his own son.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/2/2008 11:18:41 AM
yup...much better to only believe what we see or read on youtube!!!
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2008 10:31:40 PM

I can't add anything else to it.

You can't think for yourself or do your homework. Passing along trash like this without even bothering to check to see if it's real, which it is not. Jay Leno never said this! It's a hoax.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/hitnail.asp

Do some thinking, you've just proved that you're gullible and easily fooled; you've been duped.

Thank you for showing us with your example of passing along fabricated bullshit as to why the country is misinformed.

Think critically, and question authority figures.
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2008 1:32:26 PM

And on a side note "get mad baby" I'm quite sure you have never been fooled in your life or fallen for something like that so I will aspire to be just like you..

You're right, I was once religious, but I developed an allergy to bull.

As for learning what sites are providing good info... here's a question to chew on. How will you know?

Just because it's repeated over and over does not make something true. What helps is expert reviewed, not pundits!, experts in their field, and the peer reviewed.

Learn to take a broad general view of things. Look at the long history, and if you remember anything, remember that Rome fell in 476A.D.

Also, the truth is hardly ever pretty. If it scares you, it's probably the truth. Or if you hear it out of a politician, they mean the opposite.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist