Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Actor Says Black History Month No Good      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 toonsmith
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Actor Says Black History Month No GoodPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I think the older generation takes for granted that everyone is aware of the accomplishments of the previous generation.

Today's youth may not be aware of George Washington Carver, or Harriet Tubbman, or the scores of other black Americans that contributed to America.

We constantly need reminders and celebrations to teach the younger folk. Morgan Freeman may know, but the 14 yr old playing Doom 3 might not be too aware....yet.

Toon
 Polly_G
Msg: 3
Actor Says Black History Month No Good
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:07:19 PM
I didn't hear Morgan Freeman's comments but I have heard similar comments about other things. Its the feeling that by separating cultures with these types of things its actually promoting racism and pointing out differences. I do also know a lot of black people who would whole heartedly disagree with Mr. Freeman's comments.

I see his point but I also think its important to focus on these things as well. It gives people someone within their own culture to whom they can identify with. It gives them heros and mentors which gives confidence. It also educates other cultures and keeps them for forgetting that their country's history was formed by more than just one culture.

Personally, I disagree with Mr. Freeman's comments. I have seen first hand the benefits of Black History Month. My beliefs when it comes to this stuff is that we are all different and its ok and wonderful to recognize those differences. Its how we view differences and our own irrational fears that need to be worked on.
 petetoky
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:19:25 PM
Everyone should just seperated by color and given a country and leave America desolate!

Then, we'd have, A black country, A white country, A yellow country and A brown country. Nationalities don't matter-seperate everyone by color ONLY. Then, when people want to war over some type of prejudice, send an army of each group to America (boxing ring) and let them duke it out, by any means!! Men, woman, children-it don't matter-Everyone is equal! Neither party comes back until all of the enemy is dead of the other party. We could set-up Cameras from all angles and get a real good front seat view!

There's no moral to this story that I know of-but it sure would be fun to watch the slaughter, on pay-per-view.

I would sell Popcorn world wide!
 Kenn159
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:39:37 PM
I saw the interview and I think his point was the fact that you have a seperate history for a select portion of our society ,it it self seperates us.
Ive personally never had a problem with the black history month but I do see his point.
Do you remember the song that went "be color blind ",that is what he is saying .
He also said in the interview "dont call me that black guy, Morgan Freedman ,Im just Morgan Freeman .
He feels that ethinic labels and a special month for that ethnicity breeds seperation.
Their is nothing to stop jewish ,black any ethnicity from learning about their own roots of history without a special month.
 marita_b
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2005 6:27:41 AM
actually Morgan Freeman in the interview was very specific why he believed this (black history month) to be a rediculous notion, He asked Morley Safer do you think your history can be compressed into just a month,...

To which Mr Safer anwered I'm jewish, we don't have a month,...well there you go said Morgan,...do you want a jewish history month,..to which the interviewer said NO,...

Mr freeman said,...history is history,...and shouldn't be viewed as anything else,....

anyone who wishes can read the interview in it's entirety,...on the 60 minutes web site,...
 marita_b
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2005 12:54:22 PM
how about islamic month,...or muslim month,....

there are an awfull lot of both all over the planet,...sounds fair to me,.....
but I think our point is made Mary,....
 Polly_G
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/20/2005 2:09:57 PM
October is Mi'kmaq History Month in Nova Scotia and its kicked off by "Treaty Day". I actually take this day off work every year to join the celebrations. Its the only time, in a city, that natives can all get together.

So one, lots of other cultures have a month dedicated to them for educational and networking purposes. Two, I like it!!!

If history books were written by concencus instead of those in power (sometimes even the victor's in conflicts) I might agree with Mr. Freeman. The world we live in is not like that though.

Those views he has are HIS views. Just because he's a famous actor doesn't make them any more valid than anyone else. I do think people who are actors need to be a little more careful about the way they speak of these sensitive issues.

From working with miniorities for several years they will all tell you. They often get asked questions by caucasions who expect their answers to be representative of their whole race. Sounds silly doesn't it? But you wouldn't believe how much it actually happens.

I know when I speak about my native beliefs to people I am very cautious to make sure they know that the views are coming from me and only me and I'm one of vast culture that encompasses many different views.
 BRASS
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:21:59 PM
I'm black and I have to admit that I lean all the way to the right. I really don't believe in black history month. At present only Martin Luther King has a holiday named after him. What's wrong with this picture. Sure I have lots of friends in all the other ethnic group. But I remember going through Basic Training and our FTO told us there was only one color. 'Green' . That's the US of A . E pluribus Unum means one out of many. I tend to think of our nation as a melting pot. A melting pot of high grade alloy steel. We get strength from the mixture of us all, our intrests, our ethnicity, and our differences. That's what makes us Americans so tough. We're not a bunch of wimps like the Europeons. We're the best in the world and this division has to stop. I believe in Meritocracy, tthe better you are the higher you can achieve. I don't blame my problems on others, my problems are the result of my own actions. I blame no one else. I consider the use of the race card a really bad excuse. I believe that living in the past leaves you in the past. Shoot for the stars.
 SANDE1
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:26:54 PM
I saw that interview as well and I too agree with him.

The Chinese have a grand story that should be included in our history books as well and they achieved greatness while maintaining dignity and the spirit of family. The Italians have brought great skills to the designs of buildings. Japenese, brilliant. Mexicans, Hispanics, such a colourfull culture that we can learn from. Russians, European Jewish has their memories, Africans, Blacks in the face of suffering maintained the goal to learn regardless, "Strange Fruit" - Billy Holiday is still one of the most haunting songs I've sang myself.

All humans, all strong, and all surviors with dignity and integrity. I like it all, feel sad about it, celebrate all their achievements but certainly have learned to love without conditions because of it. Or in spite of it.

Now that we have the attention on the subject, lets drop all racial, blonde, men, woman, religious, etc jokes. Jokes are just as funny without the slurs. I just dont find anything funny when someone or their beliefs are put down or at their expense.

Colour isnt and shouldnt be the issue. Human charactor should.
 MasterBart
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2005 10:14:35 PM
I wanna know two things:

1) How did "black history month" come to be; i.e., what makes it "official".

2) What purpose does it serve.

___RE: 1:ORIGIN___

I've seen a couple posts to sort-of answer these questions. If it's an official gov't decree (as it seems from these forums to be, and WORLDWIDE!), then that's like the gov't (pick your country) putting blacks on a pedestal. I don't think any group of people should be put on a pedestal. If this is the case, then why? My only thought is that there are more pressing issues in history to be discovered, and it would be to the disadvantage of those in power (politicians, CEOs, etc) for us to read "truthful history". So, we play the Jerry Springer home game (as I like to call it), and for our diversionary delight we study less important, more trivial and emotionally-charged literature.

Or, perhaps it's just "tradition". Congress didn't MAKE IT SO; the will of the people did. We all assume it's official because everybody else does. It hit the elementary schools, the public libraries, the mainstream media -- broadcast and print. Sorta a snowball effect. In which case it should be seen for the illusion it is. If you wish to read the history of ANY particular "group" of people, either a certain race or religion or age or segment of pop culture or whatever, you can do so at any time, or all the time. How about "let's dig deep into the details about the truth on what's glazed over in public school history books" month.

___RE: 2:PURPOSE___

In order to judge whether this "Black History Month" is "good" or not, we must ask if it's meeting it's designated purpose. Which is? I can only speak from my experiences, which I know are different from others'. I see a table in the public library. There's a few books on it, usually biographies, from inventors to politicians to political activists to poets ad nauseum. Ditto for public schools, along with a poster or two celebrating some person here and there with just a few select details. I would be disgusted to read a bumper sticker saying "Have you hugged a darkie today", yet that's nearly the message portrayed in the media.

I would like to see people celebrate Black History Month. Not because it has anything to do with people of a certain race, or because it's February. I'd like to see people getting used to researching history itself, and looking to news items far more than two weeks old, and to things that aren't quite politically correct. This could be a stepping stone. Let's look at all the races and their interactions, even if it wasn't pleasant. Let's look at the history of cultural values, of unity and of war and prejudice. Let's read the laws and their history, from the Magna Carta to the Declaration of Independence and the personal thoughts of the individuals behind them. A few young children reading a trivial book of some forgotten non-influential person, because that person was this month's officially-celebrated race, and because their teacher told them they had to, isn't enough. Adults have some reading to do, and a lot of it.

peace
 RDtoo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2005 10:20:57 PM
If you missed the statement by ackrite about "Drop Squad", it was a movie were militant African-americans would kidnap successful African-americans judging that they had "sold out to whitey", and then "de-program" them into being Black again. The film was a racist piece of trash which is probably why most have never heard of it.

I had an African-american boss once who would insist to me that Colin Powell was a white man. That he had sold out. I have heard other Black people say the same thing. Unless those attitudes change, there will always be seperation between the colors.
 Polly_G
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/21/2005 3:41:29 AM
Too many want a free ride or an excuse for a handout?

Like who for example?
 Kenn159
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/21/2005 10:28:51 PM
I understand Mr Freedmans views but personally I never had a problem with black history month and for all of you that say then say what about all the other ethnicities?
I say give everyone there own month,week or day if it makes everyone happy.
It just seems to be a bit of a non issue to me, there seems to me much greater injustices in this world then arguing over a ethnic history month.
During the interview he said he would never fly the confederate flag {which is flown in his state}because it represents opression.
That seems to be a slightly bigger issue.
 marita_b
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2005 4:21:57 AM
since you, KENN...and I aren't actually black how can either of us truely understand Mr Freeman's views????????,...hence I believe, his opinion should be given more weight than either of us,....

Personally I agree with him,...History,..is history,....just tell it all like it was,..and be honest about it and all will be fine,....

and I also agree with him and you that the confederate flagg there in the state flagg is a constant reminder of the horror that was the history,....

is it good to remember or sometimes insulting????,...depends on the presentation,...
 marita_b
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2005 5:22:36 AM
He was speaking,...exclusively for himself,...

and in the home of the free,...I thought he was free to express HIS OPINION???????,...

as for George Bush,...He speaks for all people,..in his opinion,...

not just the white,...or even americans,...he thinks he speaks for EVERYBODY on the planet,..he rules,....
 cotter
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2005 5:31:43 AM
One day hopefully the accomplishments of people of african heritage can be celebrated without the addition "first this or that", but that day hasn't arrived yet.

What about the accomplishments of people of German heritage ... when do we get some recognition.

I only said that to emphasize the above statement … why do we have to single out specific heritages to celebrate?

I work with a diverse population as a home health nurse ... all of my clients are poor and on Medicaid and/or Medicare. My clients are 1st generation immigrants from all over the world … and then of course some are multi-generation from some place else. I say that because unless you're a native American, you are eventually from "someplace else".

The point is, no matter what our background, our ancestors all had struggles they went through. Being of Caucasian background, I have occasionally run across the remark about the struggle of the “black” slaves. I emphasize “black” because I wonder if any of you realize the black folks were not the only slaves brought to this country … check it out sometime.

My own grandfather (from Germany) was an “indentured slave” … never did buy himself free … but played a role in American history that few can brag … he was a cook for the Union Army. The fact remains, he truly was a “slave” … even Mr. Lincoln could not free him.

So when others talk about slavery and other oppressive acts … I just look at them and tell them, “We all have our struggles and while I understand the importance ‘black history month’ must have to the ‘black’ folks, I’d rather see the money that is thrown into that go into educating people in general not to be racist, but rather to be accepting of each individual as they present themselves.”

I’d also like to point out that I used to work with a bunch of "white" folks who actually thought Martin Luther King Day was a holiday that just "black" folks were supposed to celebrate!

Hmmm .... I always thought Mr. King was out there marching for “everyone’s” freedom … maybe I’m mistaken though.

marita_b
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2005 5:51:39 AM
ya eh?????????I'm a Canadian too and you know you have 4 guys to choose from to vote for,...

Why is it the wrong party always has the best people??????

and I don't mean the QP,...
 marita_b
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2005 8:58:00 AM
Personally,..I think he's earned the right to be called whatever the hell HE wants,..

and even if he didn't,...is the country he calls home free.?????????or isn't it?

are the people in it free,..or are they not,...to call themselves and be whatever they chose and strive towards??????????
 marita_b
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2005 1:30:25 PM
true but he makes decisions for the world ,...

if we want him to or not,...

gbn pete,...

ackrite55,...I concurr,...whole heartedly,...look throughout history and who do we remember and why,...class is like cream it's the best and rises to the surface,...
 Kenn159
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/25/2005 10:15:12 PM
since you, KENN...and I aren't actually black how can either of us truely understand Mr Freeman's views????????,...hence I believe, his opinion should be given more weight than either of us,....

Well.. you can plainly see by my pic that I am not black,so obviouly the opinion stated is the opinion of a middle ages white man[me]and may be different from another black man or even a white man for that matter.
By discribing this to you shows that your not really getting mr Freedmans point.
His point is to not label one another as "blackman" or "whiteman" but just man or by your given name .
"To be color blind"
And that we are each entitled to a opinion regardless on the color of skin because each and everyone of us have our own uneek set of life experiances ,which entitles us to express our perspectrive .
Believe it our not I have experianced descrimination before when I worked in a nieborhood of a different ethnicity.
 girlllygirl
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/27/2005 5:25:30 AM
There are plenty of African Americans who have made notable achievements and contributed to American and world history. Let their accomplishments stand on their own merits alongside the contemporary history they were a part of.
This is ideal. The problem, though, it that they are NOT always noted alongside. It is easy to speak of the ideal; we still need to deal with the reality.

Well the technical head of our government, the Governor General, the queen's representative , is a black, french speaking, immigrant, woman. So I think we have covered all the basis here. We haven't had a non-white prime minister yet, although BC has had a non-white premier. Quite a few visible minorities in cabinet, so all in all Canada doing ok.
This is the kind of statement that highlights the real problem... people are OK with token equality.
 marita_b
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2005 12:20:27 PM
here's a thought,...update the reality to reflect todays societal views and

token equality?????????I would guess isn't one of the ones in the reality or even updated collums,....

I find it interesting to note that both the queens last 2 female representatives here in the old collony were both first,...the hosteses of the "Passionate eye"
that would be the asian,..Canadian and the black French Canadian if your keeping score,...or just 2 really nice compitent women if your not,....

PS >>was KIM Champbell PM long enough to count as our token woman PM?????

I'm bettin the queen watches that,...as I do,...
 girlllygirl
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/27/2005 2:24:02 PM

token equality?????????I
Yes...
 cotter
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2005 4:52:42 PM
i'd personally like to see condi rice nominated, but she's never run for office. she'd get my vote, hell i'd even volunteer for her. i've never heard any mainstream republican / conservative say 1 negative thing about her.

Anyone who would want this GW "puppet" nominated is for sure a GWB fan (didn't fool me for one second). The only reason GW pushes to have so many black folks in his surroundings is because he thinks that'll get him in good with them.

I have news for you ... only the wealthy "black" are crawling up his A$$ ... the poor black want nothing to do with GW or any of his "black puppets" ... many are ashamed of what Powell did ... WMD indeed! ... puppet that went in and made the case for GW at the United Nations ... now they've got Condi doint GW's dirty work.

Doesn't matter to me ... what I still don't get is why we don't celebrate every ethnicity here ... there are many different ethnicities that played big roles in the history of our country and have also been neglected in the history books ... not just the "blacks".

cotter
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2005 8:44:29 PM
@ sergeant rock

I hear what you're saying but do not feel addressed by it. Even though I'm just a "white" woman who stands 5'3", 138 lbs., I remain the product of German indentured "slaves" and a Native American woman.

While growing up, I attended a teen camp in the Hocking Hills of Ohio that was mostly "black" because it was sponsored by a settlement house located in the part of Columbus that was frequented by the "black" population. I played an active role in the Civil Rights Movement here in Columbus.

When the camp sent us to visit our "sister" neighborhood settlement house in the heart of Harlem, I went with them and walked unafraid through the streets of Harlem during a time when that would have normally gotten a "white" person killed (mid 60’s). My "black" co-campers refused to walk with me because they said if I didn't get killed for walking through Harlem, they certainly would get killed for walking through Harlem with a "white" woman!

I’m a nurse and serve my clients in the poorest of poor neighborhoods ... there a shootings and muggings there on a daily basis ... and have never feared for my life. But then I was never afraid of my clients while working at the local county jail either.

I do not put out any aura of anything but tolerance and caring of all people I encounter and believe firmly in the theory that the way we treat others is the only way we can expect to be treated in return, so I naively assume that since I’m not there to mug or shoot my clients, they won’t do that to me!

I grew up poor and underprivileged and I was quite aware of my heritage (German / American Indian) because whenever we played with the neighborhood kids, we always had to play the "bad" German part or the “Indian” who was killing all those “white settlers”. Since I’m more German than Native American, let me address the issue with the “bad” Germans … not all Germans were “bad”.

A lot of people don't realize that Hitler not only "gassed" the Jewish population, he also gassed the "Gypsies", the mentally handicapped or mentally afflicted, the physically disabled, and any healthy, sane, individual who opposed what he was doing. My own father-in-law almost got sent to a concentration camp because he was having a problem keeping his mouth shut about being opposed to what Hitler was up to and refused to join the Nazi party.

No other minority in this country were ever referred to as three-fifths of a human being.

You may be right, but in many cases, actions speak louder than words. When they imported the Chinese to build the railroad system that still functions today to join the East with the West by ground, they may not have "referred" to the Chinese in that way, but rather they treated them like they were less than human and had them living in conditions worse than most of us provide for our family pets.

There were so many African Americans lynched, displaced, and horrified during the times of "jim crow”, that history can not even calculate the effect it has had on contemporary lives of African Americans today.

Why is this still affecting contemporary lives of "African Americans" today?

Through "indentured slavery" and the "war" against the Native Americans, my ancestors were displaced and mistreated, slaughtered rather than lynched, and forced to live on secluded reservations where the land could barely produce enough food to support them.

I think about it all the time, but the fact that it occurred ... still is occurring when you consider that the Native Americans are still not really treated like 1st class citizens of the United States even though they really are the only true "Americans" ... does not keep me from functioning in today's society, educating myself (poor as I was), following the rules (no matter how much I don't always agree), and providing for myself (even though I do not live in the lap of luxury).

Mr.Freeman or "easy reader" has a right to his opinion,but Black History Month is very important in today's society. I would support a history month for any cultureof peoples that wish to express themselves.

I don’t doubt what you say about supporting a history month for any culture of peoples … however I must ask if you would be so supportive of it if year after year, it dominated all local television night after night, if it was the theme of all local entertainment … I don’t think I need to continue, you seem like you’re smart enough to get the picture.

I just don’t want stuff like that shoved down my throat … I want the “freedom” to choose whether or not I want to expose myself to all that. In the town I live in, it seems to promote segregation … the white people do not feel included … rather left out because their heritages are never celebrated. Not to mention, even though not all of our ancestors were “slave owners”, we are treated as such during “black history” month. Hmmmmm … this list is also going on and on.

I just think there is too much emphasis on it and even though it was meant to be informative and productive, it is not necessarily treated as such any more and just draws attention to racial differences which creates more hard feelings.

I’m sure there will be many who disagree with what I have written and I’m prepared to take the flack

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Actor Says Black History Month No Good