Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Can a smoker get a date with a non smoker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IRONLINE
Msg: 2
Can a smoker get a date with a non smoker?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
one drives by a high school and sees hundreds of teens smoking and getting along...

You just have to find someone who does'nt care if you smoke...
 bonniebrownap
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Can a smoker get a date with a non smoker?
Posted: 11/12/2006 5:13:52 PM
Firebreather, is that smoke I see in your picture. There is a thread about double standards here on the forums, go read about your personality. I have dated men that do not smoke and have been very considerate of all the above STINK. Here's a solution. From now on, make it mandatory for everyone to smoke and that way no one will be offended and we all die together.
 belly18dancer
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/12/2006 5:31:17 PM
cajun....how can you tell someone to join the taliban just because they don't agree with smoking....you as a smoker know the risk, the side effects, etc, but you make the choice to light up anyways....

so we non smokers can make the choice to NOT date you....i've tried to date smokers, even lived with one...i couldn't stand kissing him til he brushed his teeth and used mouth wash...it was nasty...i recently hung out with a guy i dated three years ago...he didn't tell me he had started smoking...know how i knew....i kissed him and tasted it....he tried to deny it, but the taste was there...and he finally came clean about it...

i can tell which of my students smokes or has parents that smoke, they reek of cigarettes...there is just no way to avoid the stench cigarettes leave behind

i'm sure you'll find someone who can tolerate smoking...but for those of us who cannot...don't get angry at us...to each his own
 MsViv676
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/12/2006 5:53:49 PM
I think that everyone is different. I personally don't mind a smoker. I have not ever smoked nor was I raised with smoking parents. But, I can look beyond the smoking. But, I do understand that some people can not deal with it.
 taxman_61
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2006 6:34:38 PM
I don't want to date a smoker either. I want to kiss somebody with fresh breath & not kiss an ashtray. Yet, for some reason, the women who have talked to me at these POF parties have mostly been smokers. If you are looking for a female smoker, I'll glasly give you the names of some I have talked to at POF parties.
 bonniebrownap
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2006 8:28:20 AM
I am gonna die from all the b****ing from non-smokers long before the cigarettes kill me. The answer is YES YES YES it is possible.
 Greystone1
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 8:27:36 AM
I was married to a non-smoker for 22 years. It is the sort of thing that reasonable people can work out. At the same time, I realize that some people are more sensitive to it than others. For them it is a deal breaker. To each his/her own.

Unfortunately, it seems impossible to have a discussion about the subject without lectures and insults. I suppose the intent is to insult people in order to get them to quit smoking. Sorry folks, it doesn't work that way. The lectures/insults are totally unnecessary, ineffective and just plain rude. Rude is rude, even if it is politically correct rudeness.

BTW, by some odd coincidence I find myself dating a non-smoker once again... and she contacted me first. Go figure.
 Greystone1
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 8:33:38 AM

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Feel free if you have other tips on how to please a non-smoker or on being more considerate of them.

I do not have a problem with being considerate of non-smokers... but please show me the quid pro quo. Where are the tips on how non-smokers can be more considerate of smokers?
 Greystone1
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 8:41:21 AM
Not only does it stain your teeth, stink and kill you slowly but laziness usually comes with the package as well. How many of you have worked somewhere and the "smokers" get like ten 15 minute smoke breaks a day while you get stuck carrying the load while their all gone B.S.ing ???

You wanted a smoke-free workplace. The price was the smoke breaks. Now that you have the smoke-free workplace, you don't want to pay the price. You want it all your way. What a considerate person you are... not to mention rude.
 ImTheOneUwant
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/14/2006 9:44:58 AM
I dont mind dating a smoker.
I dont kiss them though.
And they cant smoke in my house or cars.
Just outside.

I look at it this way:
If they put that nasty shit in their mouth, they will put anything in their mouth!!!
LOL!
 awinnerisyou75
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/17/2006 9:52:55 PM
Hmmm. Not sure. I'm a non-smoker, myself. Never dated a smoker, never kissed one. I've been told it's nasty to kiss a smoker, but I wouldn't know. In a weird way, I kinda want to try it, just to see what it's like. I would never let anybody smoke in my house, and I really, really, really wouldn't like it if someone smoked in my car, so that might be an obstacle for a relationship...but based on what I know NOW, I wouldn't rule out a relationship with a smoker. Even though I, myself, would never smoke (I have enough allergy problems as it is), I have to confess that chicks look kinda sexy when they're smoking. (The author ducks to dodge rotten fruit being tossed in his direction.) Also, regardless of my personal feelings about smoking, I DESPISE anti-smoking fascism. I've got a bit of a libertarian streak, and unreasonable restrictions on smoking offend me on principle. javascript:smilie('')
 Dovestreasure
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2006 6:22:37 AM
In the words of Groucho Marx.. "pardon me if I do not smoke"

I was married to a smoker and a very inconsiderate one as well. He smoked in our home , he even smoked in bed. I had no idea how that god awful smell lingers in your home long after the smoker is gone. Kissing a smoker is a very unpleasant experience. I am a very strongly opposed to smoking. Watching my father die due to his habit will not be long forgotten. I looked at him on his death bed being maintained by machines and wondered if smoking cigarettes were worth it to him.

Would I date a smoker??? I have and will not again.
 Dovestreasure
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2006 8:12:07 AM
I think a lot of relationships break up because of stupid issues just like this one.

I would say this is far from a stupid issue.. a rather serious one at that. You may smoke yourself to death Sunset if you want and you are right you should not be in a relationship with someone who chooses to keep their lungs clear and healthy. I hope you have a good supply of febreeze in your home , because I bet it reeks of stagnant nasty residue from smoke.Oh yes do your family a favor get a pre-paid funeral plan for yourself. Would be a darn shame for them to have to*cough* up so much money when you cut years off of your life.
 georgiasweetheart
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/22/2006 2:26:37 PM
You are an attractive man,so there is no reason why you should not be able to get a date,but
I happen to be allergic to cigarette smoke and end up in hospital from the exposure to it.
My health is worth more than the medical bills incurred from being around it and besides it makes a person's clothes and hair stink.No ill intent meant.Just being honest.Good luck.Barb
 Dovestreasure
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2006 2:00:27 AM
Sunset good for you if your house smells good , but its highly unlikely, smokers rarely notice how bad their place smells because they are use to the smell. If you walk through the door of a smokers home that smokes IN THE HOUSE that odor is obvious. I have many friends that are smokers and the majority will not even smoke inside their own homes, they do not want their homes and belongings to be saturated with the smell of cigarettes.

Just so you know I am not being judgemental , just terribly concerned about the terribly damaging effects of cigarettes. Yes its your personal choice to fill your lungs with a very dangerous substance. I am assuming that you have family members who love you. They will be very dismayed if they have to watch you suffer when you become another statistic . Its devastating to watch someone struggle when they can hardly breathe.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/15/2007 9:51:02 AM
Ironline those teens that are smoking are breaking the law.
I would have no problem dating a smoker and I have. One thing I do not like about smokers on a date is that you can be having a nice flow of conversation and than they have to leave for a few minutes to feed the addiction. That kind of sucks. I try to judge people though on who they are inside .
 belly18dancer
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/15/2007 11:31:16 AM
No one knows how the cigarettes will affect them...will they be the ones who live to be 86 or will they be the ones who find out they have cancer at 50....different things affect different people, differently....it is a matter of personal choice...

as for the government and places of businesses changing things, why not? the government is paying out millions to take care of people with little or no health insurance who develop smoke related illnesses...then you have people who smoke for years and years, who want to turn around and sue the tobacco companies...it's ridiculous...if you choose to ignore the warnings and develop a smoke related illness then you need to take care of yourself, your illness, and not try to sue someone over it...

it is also my personal choice not to smoke, and not to date a smoker...have I tried? yes, it's disgusting to kiss that person, their clothes, hair, body reeks of smoke...when i go to a club to dance, when i get home i have to take a bath and wash my hair to get the smell off of me...it disgusts me...and that's from dancing for a couple hours in a club...the couple of times i dated smokers, a few lied to me, because they knew i wouldnt like it, and a few would brush their teeth, use mouthwash and eat a ton of mints in order to kiss me...why should kissing be that much of a hassle...i have a dear friend who is a chain smoker, and i can't even stand being in her house long..it just reeks...i don't begrudge her the right to light up in her house...but she will not light up in mine
 Greystone1
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2007 4:46:08 AM
as for the government and places of businesses changing things, why not? the government is paying out millions to take care of people with little or no health insurance who develop smoke related illnesses...

Actually... according to a Dutch Government study, lifetime healthcare costs are 5% lower for smokers than non-smokers, because smokers die sooner thus avoiding old age healthcare costs... and that doesn't even take into account savings in Social Security. The government should be paying us to smoke.
 floridaman4u
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2007 6:52:16 AM
no. not for me its a nasty habit ..your killing urself and anyone in air breathing range ... most but not , not all smokers are rude and feel they have a right to pollute the air we breath .. and you dont ...besides u stink and taste like you smell ... nasty .. good luck with ur health and tell someone wholl listen the bull about i have to die of something ... the decision to smoke and kill urself is a bad one so why would anyone want to date or more someone who makes sucks stupid mistakes ..paece ..go ahead im ready .... TRUTH ..if ur going to come come educated
 floridaman4u
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2007 6:55:37 AM
lololololol i like to see who made that claim in writing ... probelly big tobacco
 Greystone1
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2007 4:00:45 PM
lololololol i like to see who made that claim in writing ... probelly big tobacco

It isn't necessary to take my word for it, nor is it necessary to question the sources or their motives. Just use some common sense.

Is it expensive to maintain the health of the elderly, year after year after year?

Do smokers die sooner, thus avoiding that expense?

Do the math. The Dutch Government did. Being that they provide cradle to grave healthcare, they wanted to know how much money they could save if everyone quit smoking. Their study found the opposite result.
 Greystone1
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2007 5:08:14 PM

Do you really think big tobacco would make a claim that says smokers die sooner? Think about it.
 sychobomber_9
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/16/2007 6:31:00 PM
first of all. you shuold not get paid to smoke while everyone else works. i'd like to have a 15 minute drink break on the clock. its only fair if smokers get a 15 minute break then i shuold get 15 minutes to do what ever i want.
 floridaman4u
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2007 7:45:33 AM
i think the poison has got to ur sense of humor among other things ..
 floridaman4u
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2007 7:48:50 AM
what about they nasty tatse comming out of their pores and they taste on their skin and the smell ..a true non smokers doesnt want to tatse that .....
Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Can a smoker get a date with a non smoker?