Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Short Men      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 enchantedeuphoriaz
Msg: 2
Short MenPage 1 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
For myself I prefer tall guys because im about 5 foot 6 - 5 foot 7... and never wear flat shoes... all my shoes/boots/sandals have usually atleast a 2 to 3 inch heel... I dont like being taller than the guy Im with because i just feel weird and it makes me more self contious about height and stuff when my man is smaller than me... and society puts so muc emphasis on the dainty, small, shorter woman and the guy being a tall hulking man thats it kinda sticks in your thoughts... I usually go for tall guys because i can wear my heels and still be shorter than them... if I met a wonderful guy that was shorter than me, I wouldnt rule him out becuse of hs height i just dont think id be initially attracted to him.. and we would have to have more of a personality attraction...
 petetoky
Msg: 3
Short Men
Posted: 12/24/2005 6:39:38 PM
Woman love short men-that why they can stand over them and beat em' with a frying pan.

Being at 5"11" myself,-i'm still the shortest person in my family, even my kids are taller than me. I guess some people were just ment to carry the trays......."egg noodle, sir?"
 Scheherrazade
Msg: 13
Short Men
Posted: 6/9/2006 12:37:15 PM
I'm only 5'5" tall but I come from a family of gentle giants. Most the men are over six foot tall and my grandmother coined a phrase used quite often in my family, what she refers to as "Little man Syndrome" So many places that we would go, some short pipsqueek of a man would strut up with a**** attitude and try to start something with these big men just to make them look tougher. I realize that all short men are not like that, but as a girl growing up it left me with an unsavory impression. I tend to be attracted to taller men and more gentle men who do not feel as if they have to prove themselves.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 15
Short Men
Posted: 12/10/2008 2:32:12 PM
I'm a tall guy so don't know.

Not to be a smartass...
but date shorter girls maybe?
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 17
Short Men
Posted: 12/10/2008 3:25:21 PM
I never put a "height" requirement, however I am a sucker for tall men period. I am 5 feet tall ....and there is just something about a nice buff tall guy...:) Plus I wear 5 inch heels and do not want to ever tower over anyone...but that rarely happens at my height. I am so short, everyone seems tall...lol :)
 tallyover
Msg: 21
Short Men
Posted: 12/10/2008 5:17:43 PM
I'm 5'11". Taller and older= Tallyover.

Being a tall woman is as difficult as being a short man. I love to wear heels.
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 22
Short Men
Posted: 12/10/2008 7:40:59 PM
UMMM i know that i have lost some dates to being short but all in all i believe i have been quite lucky with winning women over. i realize i am not for everyone but i try to keep a positive outlook, am naturally happy so i smile alot and i keep myself neat and well groomed. i think that helps.

at 5'4" i've had women tell me i'm too short for them but there are always plenty of others who have said an enthusiastic "Yes". i wonder what women would think if i turned them down by saying "no thanks. your boobs are too small."
 softy63
Msg: 23
Short Men
Posted: 12/11/2008 2:46:19 AM
I'm dating a man who is slightly shorter than me (I'm 5'6") and he is wonderful.
 mitchchan
Msg: 24
Short Men
Posted: 12/11/2008 5:25:08 AM
I couldnt care less about the height issue. If a guy would treat me good, i will treat him the same way with love and respect. All I care about his personality and he is a good guy.
 Jonathan Doeman
Msg: 26
Short Men
Posted: 12/11/2008 6:42:08 AM
^^^^^

Why do you keep coming to these threads and reading them if you just want to attack its content? If you're not interested in the topic...why not just move on without comment?

tx_sapphire_2011
Msg: 27
Short Men
Posted: 12/11/2008 9:21:10 AM
Being 5'10" all my girlfriends are short. So when I am with a guy I prefer to look up. Makes my neck balance out between my gal pals and my man :)
 Jonathan Doeman
Msg: 33
Short Men
Posted: 12/11/2008 9:09:00 PM

Anyone could say that your preferences/requirements (and yes you do have them) are shallow as well.

Bottom line is that if anyone for anyone reason is not attracted to us I see no reason to pout like a small child and say "you big meanie" and stomp off. People will not date each other for all sorts of reasons all the time and if something is just not attractive to another person ,I see no reason they should force themselves to be with someone who doesn't float their boat. Many people would like to deny all together the importance of attraction in a relationship, but it is very important , and that is the truth and always will be.

I'll take a shot at this one. I think height requirements are much more offensive to men than the many other reasons they might get rejected. For a short guy, I'd suspect that being rejecting because of their height would be more offensive than being rejected for other things that they also have no control over. Here is why (in no particular order).

1) It's more systemic than individual.
-The female preference for male height seems to be pretty universal, though it varies in intensity throughout various cultures. That is, French women and American women both tend to prefer taller men over shorter men...but its possible that French women would only choose a taller man if other things were equal while American women would rather make no choice than to choose a short man. Therefore, we are not really talking about individual choices, but rather the degree to which a person confirms to a social norm (in this case, height bigotry or height stigma or heightism).

2) It challenges the feminist ideal of our modern society which most of us have grown to accept.
-Our modern social ideal says that men and women are equal. It says that men have no right to wield power over women simply because of their gender. However, the idea that a man needs to be taller than his woman...or simply the idea that a larger male is somehow intrinsically better than a smaller male in the eyes of women seems archaic to the point of vulgarity. It reminds us that we are all animals, evolved from apes, but where does that leave a proud short man? I cannot fault them for being offended.

3) It is often based in height bigotry.
-Your post assumes that women are rejecting short men because they cannot be attracted to a short man (even if that short man is taller than them). However, this is not normally the case. In many instances, women seem to reject short man based on stereotypes, peer pressure, and social stigma. If you read any thread about short men, you will see dozens of women say that they don't date short men because short men are rumored to act a certain way (stereotyping). Or they say that they dated a short man who was a bad person and so therefore all short men are bad people (however, they never stop dating tall men because they dated a tall man who was a bad person). Or (like one of the posters above), they say that the men in their family or tall or their girlfriends or short and so they want to distinguish their boyfriend from these other male or female individuals in their life (peer pressure). But the most used excuse that women use for automatically rejecting short men has to do with avoiding social stigma. This is said in a lot of ways, but essentially...it comes down to avoiding social embarrassment from dating a man whom society regards as inferior.

4) Height is completely immutable.
-This is an easy one. Height is something that is pretty much determined at birth. It cannot be changed and so short men who are stigmatized by society have a legitimate grievance.

5) The height paradox.
-Being a short man causes automatic rejection from the vast majority of woman. Lying about ones height causes automatic rejection from many women, but it also gives them an easy excuse for the rejection (it's the lie and not the height). This sort of paradox would upset any red blooded guy.
 Jonathan Doeman
Msg: 34
Short Men
Posted: 12/11/2008 9:14:30 PM

Being only 4ft.11,most people i meet are taller then me..However i would rather date someone average height..5.10 upwards..My experience has taught me most short men have issues regarding their height...

You've dated most short men?

Also, how do you know whether these men had issued regarding their height or whether they had issues regarding height bigotry? How do you know it wasn't people like you (i.e., judging them based on their height) which caused them to react in a certain way?

they seem to fire up alot quicker lol.

"lol"?

Jonathan Doeman
Msg: 35
Short Men
Posted: 12/11/2008 9:25:57 PM
^^^^

Woah, woah, woah.

Wait a second.

This statistic says something very different to me. It's not saying that it's a reproduction thing...it says that it's a deep rooted social thing more than an attraction thing. If this was really about attraction, then the height of an anonymous sperm doner wouldn't matter.

However, this is about social discrimination. Otherwise, why would women demand sperm from tall men? They demand it because they want to reduce the odds of their male offspring from being short and being exposed to the height bigotry.

That (to me) makes more sense than the idea that women are selecting sperm based on whether the men (whom they will never met) will be "better protectors" for them. What does the "protection level" of a man whom you'll never meet even matter?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Short Men
Posted: 12/11/2008 9:50:16 PM
I've only ever ended up dating women shorter than me. But I've had interest expressed from quite a few taller women, some 6ft. The only women I've ever heard expressed that they loved dating tall men, were 2 friends of mine, who had previously showed a great interest in me, but whom I had declined to get involved with, because I didn't think we were a good match. So personally, I doubt this is a real problem in real life.

I think it's more of an issue with online dating, as online dating sites tend to have height, weight, and age are criteria that you can search for, and so people probably screen out based on that.

RE msg 49 by kitten12:
I think it has to do with reproduction. I took a biomedical ethics class in college. they discussed several topics including reproductive problems etc. Anyways, they gave a statistic in the book for the class that said that "No women, when going to a sperm bank request sperm from short men"
That's a shame, because a recent study found that intelligent men have better sperm, and so they are ruling out the many short men who are more intelligent than their taller counterparts.

I think that tall men are going to be phased out by the end of this century anyway, because taller men have more health problems as they get older, and as degenerative health problems are increasing now, especially in the young, eventually, there just won't be that many tall men left.
 softy63
Msg: 38
Short Men
Posted: 12/12/2008 4:41:34 AM
^^^^^^^ This topic has been done to death and is redundant.....
It's against the POF rules to keep posting redundant threads......

Well the thread is still here contrary to what you want so don't look at it anymore then.

Most adjusted people look through height or any other physical issues and see the beautiful person within.

Also, as a short man yourself, you should take heart from the positive responses posted here.
 Jonathan Doeman
Msg: 41
Short Men
Posted: 12/12/2008 10:26:42 AM

^^^^^^ Strangely.....I never thought myself as short.....your're the first person since grade school that has commented on my height.

All through my adult life.....nobody has remarked on my height before.

It doesn't bother me anyway...

But the existence of height bigotry has nothing to do with whether or not your height bothers you or whether you think of yourself as short.

A short man could think of himself as tall, but he would still be affected by height bigotry because heightism is perpetrated by society and individuals against short people (men especially). In fact, I suspect that proud short men (men who are proud to be short) would be affected most by height bigotry than men who are ashamed of being short.

Jonathan Doeman
Msg: 42
Short Men
Posted: 12/12/2008 10:29:26 AM
As for the sperm bank comment someone made (about women opting for taller men sperm)...I hate to say it, I would opt for taller guy sperm if I were shopping around for that...and, they say smarter guys have better sperm - so a tall, smart guy's sperm...sorry, just my preference.

Which makes male height a social issue. Not so much an issue about personal attraction.

And I think that's the real reason why these threads get deleted. When the old "just my personal opinion" concept breaks down and the women with height requirements start to feel guilty because they are (perhaps) contributing to social intolerance. . . *pooof* . . .the thread disappears.

arwen52
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Short Men
Posted: 12/12/2008 4:36:04 PM
I can't answer the first question because I really don't care about a man's height.

I dated a guy who was several inches shorter than myself. He's a really hot dancer, vary attractive. I broke it off with him because I found out he had a wife in another state, not because of his height.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 44
Short Men
Posted: 12/12/2008 9:44:54 PM
I think part of the frustration in seeing yet another Short Men thread (albeit resurrected) is that many of them get off track. Many women will say "hey we love short men" or "we have no preference". Many short men will say they do fine. However the men that do have issues will virtually ignore us and rant about how unfair life is.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Short Men
Posted: 12/12/2008 10:38:56 PM
Guys, if she thinks you're too short....just do like Woody Harrelson when he goes in the barn to change the horse's shoes.

~ds~
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 48
Short Men
Posted: 12/13/2008 12:51:58 PM
i get a kick out of women who say it is uncomfortable to bend down and kiss a short man.

ladies who say this... don't you realize most men have to bend over to kiss YOU!!!! so THEIR comfort has no meaning for you. get real!

it's all in the preferences. i like a lady with a nice set of womanly breasts on her. would i reject her if she had small ones. probably not if we had possibilities together. and that's what it all boils down to.

if your PRIORITY is to have a tall man well that speaks for itself. it's like a man who will ONLY accept a woman with large breasts and rejects all others even though they are fine upstanding attractive women.

i don't get upset when i'm turned down by women SOLEY on account of my height (5'4"). but i don't respect that choice either.
 kb7iuj
Msg: 49
Short Men
Posted: 12/13/2008 12:56:05 PM
I've seen a few threads like this in my few hours being on the forums, and I can't help but be reminded of an old song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANIj1wfMuK4

Note that Randy Newman wrote this song totally in jest.

For me, I think short people have some advantages, as do tall people. It's us average people who aren't noticed...
 Jonathan Doeman
Msg: 50
Short Men
Posted: 12/13/2008 1:20:12 PM

How short are we talking about? I like men who are say 5ft 8 to about 6ft but no taller. Otherwise it's too hard for me to kiss them........

Your profile says you are 5'3".

It's too hard for you to kiss someone who was 5'6"? Or even 5'4"? Seems like it would be easier to me.

Jonathan Doeman
Msg: 51
Short Men
Posted: 12/13/2008 1:21:57 PM

That's because at 5'7 you are really not in the short guy range. Most women are actually shorter then you are . I believe the average woman is only around 5'4. While you are "shorter" in comparison to someone 6'4 ,your height is about average for a man.

No. He's short. Average male height in the United States is somewhere between 5'8" and 5'10". Women don't seem to be looking for guys who are merely taller than the average woman. If that were the case, this would be a complete non-issue.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Short Men