Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Long distance relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 October16
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Long distance relationshipsPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
It can work it depends on how much you want it to and of course in the end someone would have to move,it has worked for a friend of mine.
 Leigh AKA PL
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Long distance relationships
Posted: 1/20/2008 9:21:34 PM

no it doesnt work.id have to go and find a new man.females need the cobwebs brushing away and we have our needs!

your should say... no it doesn't work for you.... you can't speak for us all

my fiance lives 8 hours away from me... yes it is bloody hard everytime he has to leave for us both and the children... but when it comes to love you will do anything... he has now sold his house and will be moving in with us very soon....

it is not easy and can be painful...but it can work
 xXx Tinks xXx
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2008 4:37:33 AM
A long distance relationship does work if you are willing to make it happen. I myself have been in this situation and was fairly recently until that person decided it wasn't what he wanted and couldn't see us being together geographically.

Fair enough, as they say, plenty more fish in the sea!!!!!! However, we have both had some memorable times and it was good while it lasted. If it's meant to be then it will work and I guess it all comes down to how committed you are into making this happen.

Good luck

Tinks
x x x
 xx_trouble
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2008 5:01:10 AM
I've had a couple of LDR's and really don't see the problem with them, they aren't for everyone and they take a lot of trust on both sides.

As for people's comments about dating guys in the forces I think some of the comments are unfair, yes some of them are just out for themselves to get laid as much as possible but that is a small minority. I have a large number of friends who are serving and yes they do have leave cancelled and will go on tour but does that mean that they have to be alone during this time?
 Gut_Reaction
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2008 2:03:48 PM
I was involved in one of these a few years back, adorable lady down in South Devon, about 250 miles from where I live. It wasn't planned we were both on holiday with our respective children and just clicked immediately.

It lasted about 18 months, I travelled down regularly and would stay a week or two every month. As her children lived with her 12 nights out of 14 and she worked fulltime it wasn't so easy for her to travel which was fine, for me it was like being on holiday half the time chuckles, luckily I can work whereever doesnt matter the location.

However, I didn't want to live that far from my own children permanently and the logistics were not right at the age they were then. So we decided to split as we both wanted more from the relationship than was possible. I still regret it to this day but felt I had to put my children first at that time.

Many have said I should have gone but I'm sure I did the right thing, my time will come.
 icarusi
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2008 5:04:50 PM
I have my doubts about LDRs but wouldn't rule them out completely. I was recently involved with a foreign national who spent 2-3 months anually in her own country. I found that a real passion cooler. OTOH 'living together apart' seems to be a practical option more these days.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Long distance relationships