Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > TO ALL THOSE SINGLE DADS WHO TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fordblue
Msg: 28
TO ALL THOSE SINGLE DADS WHO TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDSPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
thank you Lucky,,,
I have custody of my 3 children and I am loving every minute of it.
Its not always easy,,,,but I wouldnt trade places with anyone.
 KnS_XTC
Msg: 29
TO ALL THOSE SINGLE DADS WHO TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDS
Posted: 2/7/2006 12:09:11 PM
If this shows up twice I appologize... I included my e-mail in last one... I think that might have been a nono...

I gladly accept praise and a pat on the back... I too have been a single dad for 7 years and I love every minute... Sure it is our responsibility, but I think men deserve a HUGE pat on the back because it is EXTREMELY difficult to win custody against a mother. It is that battle that we have to go through fighting the justice system and the stereotype that children belong with the mother that we deserve the pat on the back for.

From what I have seen, no matter what condition the mother is in, the courts still want to work with the mother to have the children stay with her and the dad has to fight tooth and nail to prove that the kids belong with him.

That was my situation anyway. I would love to hear other stories from other dads who have been through it... Feel free to send me a message anytime!
 and_your_point_is
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/8/2006 8:59:50 AM
Victims of reverse discrimination for sure

Just now my kids' soccer center called and told me to have my wife call them back because the check "she" wrote them wasn't for enough so to please have "her" call them back. They knew they were talking to the Dad, but completely blew me off and asked that I relay the message to my wife as though I was incapable.

And ya know what? I wrote the check and signed him up for classes yesterday. My wife works 10 hour days. I handle the kids soccer games and all the finances. Had the woman looked at the check, she'd have seen my name.

I totally hate that we're just discriminated against like this. And this was to my face. She KNEW she was talking to one of the parents and specifically asked my wife to take care of it. If my kids didn't like and need it so much and if it would do any good I'd pull them from the program.

Thanks for the morale bost BTW :)
 young_55
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/8/2006 10:27:46 AM
^^^hats off to both you

you guys are going thru the same thing women had to for so many years.
Hopefully when your kids are grown, things will be different and there will be more tolerance as the next generation moves into seats of authority and pop culture and media, etc
But people have these stupid images ingrained in their heads that only moms do everything and only the dads handle money and discipline. Or that Dads don't do a damn thing. A few bad eggs have ruined it for the whole gender.

Its not fair. I'm pulling for you guys. Keep up the great work.
 LAID BACK!!
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/8/2006 2:36:01 PM
I would like to give kudos to any person, male or female that is trying to give their kids the best they can.
 KnS_XTC
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:08:47 PM
To KEITH X

I feel for ya buddy - thats exactly to a T what I went thru... Damn frusterating isnt it...
 Man_with_a_Dream
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2006 7:46:22 PM
Lucky TY for the comments I raised my son since the day he left the hospital My ex did not want him at all.... But may i say that you yourself sholud be comended for raising 4 kids, even with help of family or friends it is always a battle...

Thanks

Jim

young_55
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/10/2006 11:09:24 AM
smokers and non-smokers go thru the same thing.

No one ever acknowledges your never smoked in your life but their real quick to pat a former smoker's back when he quits.

I guess they are trying to applaude the effort
there's huge stereotype about gender roles and they are proving it wrong.
Its great not every male out there is concerned about how he looks in the eyes of other males, or thats he's letting his ego get the better of him, or that he's not thinking with his penis. We're acknowledging the mature response and resposibilities these guys are taking and they are realizing with greater appreciation what women have had to go thru for years and they are embracing it.

Besides guys go thru alot of reverse discrimination and there's no reason to not acknowledge the few that make the effort. The guys are stereotyped enough and its about time society came to accept that Dads love their kids too.

Like she said, when was the last time Kix said "Dad approved". Its offensive to have everything refer to Moms and Mothers like Dads don't exist. I'm sorry there's so many deadbeat dads out there, but thats no reason to generalize all of them.

Well, we ARE acknowledging them here.
 get_over_it
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/10/2006 11:16:23 AM
Hither,
Where have we been?
Gimme a break this is my first child.
I've only been a father for 7 years.
I've been here since day 1, minute and second 1.
We can't attone for how society was before we were ever born, don't blame us. We have no more control of society then you do, but as individuals we do our best.

Where have we been? Am I somehow suppose to answer for generations of male close mindedness that I had no control of? I'm sorry our parents and grandparents generations were so sexist, but please don't pass that on to us of this generation like we had anything to do with it.

Thats just like how so many minorities still hate white people for things the white people today had nothing to do with.

Give those guys that are here today the credit for making an effort. I swear it seems like a guy can never be right no matter what he does sometimes. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
 mickeyb31
Msg: 44
a poem, a Man into DADDY
Posted: 2/11/2006 5:53:08 AM
As I look into the sky
I saw a stork
and it didn't fly bye
he would stop by from time to time
and gave me three little girls
one at a time
as I would look deep into thier eyes
I would get lost. but not confused
somehow I knew what a daddy should do!
a man to my friends
AND A DADDY TO THE TREE OF YOU

I Love You Girls !!!
daddy
 young_55
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/11/2006 8:04:39 AM
^^^and as such society needs to just accept it and stop treating Dads like they don't exist and are all deadbeats and start including Dads in the "Hey Mom" commercials and start having more activities that are condusive to males and stay at home dads during the day. Almost everything in media and daytime activities is geared towards the female parent.

If Dads aren't expected to be given any pats on the back then the same needs to go with media and our society's double standard regarding gender roles and the reverse discrimination male parents receive.

Maybe they are looking for some encouragement since all they ever get is ignored as a parent or placed into some pre-conceived gender role. Gets old and I don't blame them for wanting to see something positive.

In the same line of thought, women shouldn't be praised for finally making into the workplace as professionals and proving they can do whatever men can. It should just be expected that women can work. If men can't receive kudos for breaking tradition and proving they can be model parents, then women should flush the whole women's lib thing down the toilet themselves because it shouldn't matter whose a doctor or lawyer or construction worker. Just like it shouldn't matter whose a parent, as long as the job gets done.
 young_55
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/14/2006 4:03:10 AM
^^^^ good for you. That was my point exactly.
 ladylucky
Msg: 53
view profile
History
I AGREE
Posted: 2/14/2006 11:53:27 PM
Shame on the men that aren't in their kids lives....How do they sleep? I'm looking for a lifetime friend for my kids and partner for me....Good Luck Lucyloppy.....Never settle for less then what you really really want .... There are alot of Great Dads out there with room for more kids in their lives.
Too bad there are so many Players.

Just signed up ..This is my first time in here...
Jenny
 ladylucky
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2006 11:55:34 PM
Exactly, your a smart young man....keep up the good work.
 young_55
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/15/2006 10:43:48 AM
^^^thanks for that. Its too bad stepparents don't have a few more rights as well. Always felt like a guest in my own home half the time and talk about no respect from the stepkids...whole nother post there.. lol
 Lynsteph74
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:03:13 PM
Emma-No, the Daddies don't neccessarily NEED the pat on the back, and it is sad that Dads are aften more vocally appreciated for this responsibility than we women often are, BUT.......as single parents, we ALL deserve the "gold stars"m every now and then, and I love the idea, so thanks to all of us who are juggling and struggling, but somehow, making it work....Dads AND Moms!!!!
 young_55
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/21/2006 3:32:55 AM
Lyn............. thanks
 Broken_Soul
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/3/2006 5:26:32 AM
There are some single dads who acturly do care more about their child than the mother does and some dads can be better parents than the mom can especialy when it comes down to the little boys and little girls, because we all know how little girls are getting harder to raise and they look up to their dad more than they do their mother.
 Aussie_Striker
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2006 7:49:42 PM
It is true that most women will steer well clear of a guy with kids, regardless of whether he looks after them or even ones that have some that live with their mother. The same is not true the other way around fortunately for the women. I have been a single father for the last 5 years and maybe I'm too picky or just dont want a repeat of the past but in that time I have not had anyone I would call a girlfriend, let alone a serious relationship. There has been several women that have wanted to have a serious relationship with me but unfortunately they have all been ones I did not want one with. Seems to be the case these days, the only ones that do want it are ones that are not the type I want in the first place. Can only hope and keep looking
 southernmama
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/30/2006 7:33:39 PM
I just wanted to say that I wholeheartedly agree. i am a single mother of a beautiful little boy who is four and who has never known his daddy. His dad chose long ago that being a father to his son was a not a priority for him. My son is surrounded by other children who know their dads and as a result he has made up a daddy that is always at work...when we go places he tells everyone he has a daddy...when people ask who his daddy is he tells them ghe is the man in the pictures everytime it happens it breks my heart. I was begginning to losse faith in men then I came here and saw all the single dads that are stepping up and doing the right thing it has reaffirmed my faith in men and I want you all to know you have my respect and my thanls for being there for your kids. I just wish all kids were as lucky as yours!!! So KUDOS to all of you!!!! As my son would say You Rock!!!!
 itechman63
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2006 8:03:45 PM
Lickalot

Your post reminds me of several years ago when my youngest stepson was in 1st Grade his teacher called me, his mom, his dad, and then stepmom in for a conference. She begged us to put him on Ritalin to which his mom, dad, and stepmom agreed.

The child was and still is "restless" but he was a straight A student and again still is. I adamantly said 'No'. He didn't need it and every one was just looking to make their lives easier.

Even now he is a handful but it's nothing more than a need for attention.
 imnotaken
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/20/2006 7:39:50 PM
I GOT THE BEST FATHER'DAY GIFT A MAN CAN EVER GET, FRM MY SON, THE CARD SIMPLY READ,..."THANKS FOR ALWAYS BEING THERE FOR ME" YOUR SON - - - -,... i was teary eyes I WILL ALWAYS KEEP THAT CARD,..IMFACT I WILL DISPLAY SOON,...JORGE,NORTHERN N.J.
 Bandito
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/22/2006 5:15:37 PM
I love it....shhh....don't tell my ex that.

The accolades are a very warm a nice gesture but I really could not see living without my kids. Its the best part of my life. I just added my dog Ozzy, he is more works than my 3 kids put together

Cheers to attentive and loving parents around the world

Bandito
 YesUMayI
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2006 8:05:38 PM
To me the sexiest thing is watching a man with his children,
seeing adoration and tenderness...
watching them wrestle on the bed or
carefully fixing their hair...
My all time favourite
seeing them piled up like puppy dogs in a sleeping heap...
 appr46
Msg: 86
Posted: 4/23/2006 7:31:45 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I've been a single dad of 3 kids, by 2 different moms. They have all lived with me and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. The mom of 2 just wanted to cheat, play, drink, party and didn't really want to have any responsibility for her kids. She didn't even pay the minimal child support she was supposed to pay. It's sad, but true. It does limit a single dad with kids to an often minimal amount of time for dating or establishing a relationship with anyone, because often women want to spend more time together than is sometimes possible with kids involved. I've learned that it is impossible to date a woman who has never had kids, because they just don't have a clue what being a parent with responsibilities entails.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > TO ALL THOSE SINGLE DADS WHO TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDS