Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > the HOME RECORDING STUDIO thread      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 toonsmith
Msg: 4
view profile
History
the HOME RECORDING STUDIO threadPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
How much would we be talking about getting started with the basics for a home recording studio? Is Pro Tools spendy?

Toon
 toonsmith
Msg: 7
view profile
History
the HOME RECORDING STUDIO thread
Posted: 1/8/2006 9:29:00 PM
Will a good mic compensate for a room's natural acoustics?

Do you have to insulate the walls of the room you have your home recording set up in?

Toon
 Marcel57
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/9/2006 12:06:11 AM
way to go Gman...
good idea about the home recording studio thread,
I'm sure it will be as much informative as your guitar thread...
I'll be bouncing from this thread to the other..
 dannyabe
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/31/2006 11:58:15 AM
wow...another interesting thread man !!!!!!!!!
i'll be back....
 Marcel57
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/31/2006 12:03:48 PM
Hey GMan

I need some info buddsss.my friend has a
TASCAM TM-D8000, recording console...
now my Q is wut kind of computer & hook-ups
would he need to be able to store data when mixing

heres a link...
http://www.recordingeq.com/tasc/tasc1a.htm
what would be the proper way to do that stuff? and does he relly
need a Mac? or will a regular IBM clone puter do the job?
 dannyabe
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/31/2006 1:40:40 PM
Gman
dude...i'm an old mainframe / pc systems man , back in the late 60 thru 70...
so , i have tons of PC experiance and tech networking to back it up....
anyway....
i've done some hard drive recording in my past....but, whats new for guys like me who want to piece together a PC....and construct music / video ?
you or other dudes have any suggestions ?
whats out there for my best buck value ????

i have my own idea about hard drive recording....(ie: mic straight from the spk cab and to sound forge/hard drive)
gotta give this thread a shout out for sure !!!!
thx dude....
danny
 gary4tea
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2006 12:36:48 AM
Hello Gman, I'm haveing fun reading all this but have very little knowledge of recording. I have a pc and do some basic video and dvd editing. I play a bit of guitar and harmonica. Like to record and use with my short movies. Is there a simple inexpensive way to improve sound recording. I have a modest mic and not the best software.
I will have to let my son in on your forum he is the one who plays with bands and is more computer savy with a lot equipment and some recording experience on pc.

Very cool

Gary
 dannyabe
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/1/2006 12:53:54 AM
@ Gman....
dude.....i' have a post regards to PC vs: Mac !
it could be rather long post.....LoL....so, this might be a warning....

danny
 dannyabe
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/2/2006 3:29:45 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
@ guitarman100

hey dude....this is another great thread man...
anyway....coming for the days of mainframe....and seeing the first release of the game 'frogger' constructed of "X's" and "O's" or in asci texts.....on IBM system 300 '3 gig storage cap' and then it was upgraded to system 306 and so forth...to 3270 and as/400 business server / client stations.....blah blah blah....LoL

many of my musician bro's talked about Mac / Apple machines and how they were the industry standard for music and graphic art and so on.....

the world of PC remained to be business machines / app , while Mac took all the glory in the audio and video industy.

my point is....
all my pals that do recording for a living and had mac machine now turned over to PC.
the guys about 5+ years ago or so , frowned at me, because i remained a PC developer....unlike the Mac recording productions.

now that they are PC guys....they love it and indeed very convenient to share files , such as....give you a disk ghost track of materail and then you record your solo on another....and so on.

i've seen mac in operation....i never had any hands on experiance with them to really talk about these machines and the mac architecture....

i do know tho....the work i would do in a spare bedroom....just goofing off making audio recordings on the hard drive took lots of extra work for sure.....just to mic the amp and into the board and to the PC / hard drive.
i took dryer flex pipe and vented the room into the attic of the house with a curl at the end of the pipe.....LoL
also baffled the room and my amps....and made a real cheesy isolation cab as well....
it all worked pretty cool, it could never be studio quality....however i had fun learning and playing ......

i recorded the track dry from the amp and added colour / effects by use of editing tools and loved it all !

i dont make any claim to recording engineering / productions.....i have lil experiance in PC recording and like using this set up....

anyway....PC or Mac's....its all good dude !!!!!!

cheers dude !
 dannyabe
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/2/2006 11:03:45 AM
@ dhubsith
howdy dude !
i have an old console from the model 360....crazy looking thing, big rectangle box with diagrams on the pannel with lights, a look that star trek must of got from IBM????
(306 = typo from my post)
would the term mainframe become popular for the music industry ? for the basement home recording ? mini mainframe ?
more than 37+ years ago when i was working part time for my uncle at night, loading key punch cards...sorting out red oxide hard disk for the drives and ampex/3m tape....i never thought that music would beome a part of the computer age back then.....
i did some recording on vhs tape and try to copy onto 8088/86 machine......
then mac came along.......LoL
the good old days !
 dannyabe
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/2/2006 11:46:34 PM

@ dhubsith
Danny, is that a Godin guitar you're playing? I have a Godin Acoustibass fretless, but my main axe is a G&L ASAT Bass.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
you bet'cha.....and i love every tone i get out of this beauty !!!!!! its a real *gem* for me.... i love this axe.
harder you whack the strings....the more muted hand.....the tone is wild !
about the fretless bass....i had a go on it.....wow !!! i was thinking of bass lines from UZEB , cause thats the sound i was getting from this beauty.......
i just order the "A12" and waiting for the 11 string......
godin acoustics are fab man....

i to have photos of me in the mainframe......i will have to dig them up one day and scan them and put them up.....LOL
that model 360 console, i thought of making this into a singlemalt scotch bar with my cigars.....haahahahaha....get all the flashing operation lights to work again.

nothing like the past ehhhhh dhubsith...
cheers

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@ lateā„¢
I have a book with some of the earliest MIDI software in it, ....no floppy even.
All text-based code.
ya'h back in the day.....PC spk audio tones....hahahahahaha...all machine key code same as color of screen.
i'd love to post in basic or unix for sounds and screen colour....hahahahahaha.

ya...about the book on the old stuff.....gesshh, i was loading hard drives that were the size of you standard washer and dryer......same with the modem data lines and mainframe time sharing.....all big stuff....
music was the last thing that IBM was looking at back then.....until atari/comonador/apple and bill gates had their own ideas....

anybody go to the nam show in vegas ???
 dannyabe
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/21/2006 1:21:30 AM

Late .....
Rule #2
Buy analog "front-end", ie: Pre's, EQ's, Comps (hint: it's expensive).

Rule # 3
See rule #2, ......buy modular, ONE CHANNEL AT A TIME/One function at a time! ie: Pre, EQ, Comp. (less expensive/more productive/easier to upgrade)

anyway....i'm now ready to start shopping for home studio gear.....
i hung out / sat in , on a few local studio projects....
i have a bit of an idea....BUT DUDE.....after reading your post...
now i'm lost and dont even know where or how to start my shopping for some simple home grown /fun playing audio / video recording ?

i need help

i think i will be calling my bro's back home to purchase thier analog equipment, if they can part from it....
 lovedog39
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/12/2006 11:57:07 PM
i use a pc dell but all so use two sound card one for the studio to play the sounds i make

also i use a roland rx syth that is also hook up to my computer, sounds is great

I can tell you this much you can have good quality speakers or sound, it depends on the sound card with window direx x format sounds if a sound card caries this you can com out with awesome sounds hook up to the mixing and amp board.

and us the second pc to record it I love it and it not a high prise to pay either

im on my way of releasing a cd of music that i created.
 cntrygrl06
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/20/2006 4:52:40 AM
I have a Question.....what is the best inexpensive program to purchase to take vocals out and just have the track music....or can I send my song (email) to someone that has the program to do it and then they resend it back.
Also I purchased the MRS Zoom 1044 ....I have used it a total of 3 times ....it is awesome BUT the manual is not user friendly ....took awhile for me to figure just a little out in Recording with it.
 nerkman
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2006 8:44:29 PM
I use Adobe Audition for most, if not all of my audio work. In it, it has a fairly decent vocal remover, or more precisely, a centre channel remover. It's a pricey piece of software, but it's probably the cheapest of all the multi-track professional programs out there.

I create music entirely on my computer with what they call Soundfonts - kinda like patches you'd find on some high-end keyboards, except you can mix and match them. Here's the stuff I use:

- PC computer with WinXP
- Soundblaster Audigy2 Value
- 20 year old Casio portable digital piano (typical plastic keys - at least it's touch-sensitive, though)
- Soundfonts (and the software that goes with it, Vienna for fine-tuning, Soundfont Librarian to load up the sounds in the background)
- Adobe Audition 1.5
- Tons and tons of plug-ins (usually DX and VST) to sweeten or dirty the sound.
- Microphone for various screaming, screetching, and other inanities.

Wanna hear some of the results?

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=anonymous%20paulson

note to moderators - these songs are my own compositions and they are public domain and part of the creative commons (archive.org) - which means people can make copies and futz around with them all they like, completely free.

Besides, I believe music should be shared, not bought or sold. So might as well I set an example
 DonInVictoria
Msg: 147
Posted: 1/16/2007 7:02:24 PM
OP " share your advice on good gear and ask questions about components "

Well, I'm not into music yet, but invested less than $300 in some simple portable stuff that seems fine for digital quality stereo recording outdoors (I merely use it for voice recordings):

- RCA Lyra mp3 player/recorder (with a line input); ( I'd started with a Sony minidisc player but that broke down in short order, and minidisc players seem well along the path into obsolescence)

- Visivox Technologies: stereo mics (got them to include extra long cords) + a pocket 'pre-amp' (uses a 9-volt battery, for ~24 hrs usage time), which allows anything with a line input to be useful for lots of stuff, starting with stereo mics. They've their own site, but now mostly sell through eBay. I've a hunch that concert goers are getting good use out of such set-ups.

I've rigged up some battery packs so the setup just lasts forever and I don't need to worry about a 9-volt battery's voltage's fading, affecting the end result quality.

Someday, when I'm more free to get about, I'd like to get into nature recordings, using (Gibson) parabolic reflectors or homemade ones (heh, for the price he charges, almost $1,000; I'll first be seeing if papier mache homemade versions might suffice).

Beats the heck out of the four or five types of old analog microphones and tape recorders I'm used to, but then I never got into the high end stuff. I'd wonder, if there are more sensitive stereo mics out there (I'm no audiophile), for under a few hundred dollars.
 neuromantic
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2007 9:00:49 PM
No home internet connection, so I didn't scroll through all the posts either. I have an 80's synth rig, an audio technica headset mic for live use an sm58 for home and my singer has her own sennheiser (I forget the model number). I use cool edit pro on my PC (and will on my laptop when I update in a few weeks). It's considered a poor man's pro tools, but screw it, I'm POOR! I love this programme, basically an computerised multitrack recorder

But I've recorded my most recent rehearsals on it and took them into my local community station and compared it to some released CDs. And even without reworking, it scrubs up okay. I'm looking forward to doing some proper recordings in the next few weeks!

Toe knee :-)

GuitarGuy_
Msg: 162
Posted: 5/24/2007 11:16:32 PM
I have a Tascam 2488, works well. you can record up to 8 tracks at once.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 167
Posted: 6/1/2007 10:13:33 AM
I have a decent Yorkvill system but probably out of your price range.

A pair of Unity 15's
a pair of LS800P subs
A Powermax16 board,
monitor setup (used and abused Peaveys)
Bunch of rack gear:
EQ's
Compressor
quadraverb
etc.

Buncha mics (58's and 57's)
DDrum trigger setup with an Alesis DM5 brain
snake
etc etc.

Never had any problems with the setup, pumps all to hell. Never feeds back. Great setup. They are definately worth checking out, even the lower stuff. 2 year "even if you break it" warrenty.

Worth having a look at, I don't know. Maybe not for the cork sniffers, but it brings a smile to my face when you feel the bass thumping with a full room.
 mitch97
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2007 9:12:41 PM
Hey everyone,

what are the BEST near field monitors for a project studio?

my roomate loves his Dynaudios. I've seen Genelec as standards and have heard their quality.

thanks.
 mitch97
Msg: 201
view profile
History
firewire cable quality
Posted: 7/20/2007 1:42:36 PM
hey all,

i'm running a digi 002 (audio interface) to my pc via firewire. would upgrading to a high quality cable like monster make a difference? i know it would for analog audio signals, but what about digital/data? would it have any bearing on the sound/recording quality?
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > the HOME RECORDING STUDIO thread