Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > tell me girls is it shallow to not date someone because they have bad      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kikilynn
Msg: 10
tell me girls is it shallow to not date someone because they have bad teeth?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
is it shallow to not date someone because they have bad teeth?

If it is, that slap my ass and call me Shallow!

(I only expect that their teeth are as nice as mine... straight, white, present...)
 Bandito
Msg: 11
tell me girls is it shallow to not date someone because they have bad teeth?
Posted: 1/10/2006 9:05:43 AM
I think it can be shallow at but there is a difference between bad teeth and bad hygene to take into consideration.

Bad hygene is unacceptable. Nothing kills a date more than a bad case of halitosis resulting from poor dental care practices.

Then there is bad orthadontistry. Some people can't afford to correct what should or could be taken care of but can be costly. I try to discriminate less on this basis but there are exceptions. I once knew this women, her teeth were so spread & crooked she made Mr. Ed look attractive

I guess its fine to discriminate against dating people for what they can control and choose not to (like hair, body odor, dressing style, hygene). I don't think thats being shallow, just selective.

Discriminating against people for what they can't control and looking past their better qualities is being shallow, but hey, its human nature to do so.

Just my two cents,

Bana-dito
 boxerboy2
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/10/2006 9:44:48 AM
Please, this is disgusting, we are in 2006 and there are plenty of dentists.
 arri
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/11/2006 11:38:50 AM
I wouldn't date a chick with bad teeth and an ugly smile .. why should you?
 Bandito
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/11/2006 8:16:56 PM
I love what Mike Myers did in Austin Powers showing the British dental hygene in the 60's/70's...was just too funny.

Now look closely at Austin Powers...could you play tonsil hockey with him with those yellow teeth....ewwwwwwww
 Bandito
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/12/2006 7:47:41 AM
I know women won't date me because of my big hairy butt The hair is so bad I can't even go to the beach without a mob chaising me with scissors

The truth is that is everyone is shallow in some form. Its in our genetic makeup to discriminate in some way to choose who we want to mate with. Looks and body features are a large part of that.

Fortunately, mother nature provided a few that can get past my big hairy butt

Bana-dito ~~~~~> {______{{}}______}
 ladygediva
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:29:41 PM
Working in the dental field i see all kinds of teeth..i have ignored someone w/bad teeth...yes its not someone's fault if they have stained teeth from antiboitics..however, if they dont brush, floss, use a good mouth rinse, there in need of dental work, (amalgom or composite fillings), or just have them pulled..then yes im gonna be shallow..i see it all, and u wouldnt believe the things that r just nasty..would i kiss them?? oh hell no..tarter, gingivitis, cavity decay, plaque..it all adds up to bad personal hygiene..and if there not to concerned about there grill...then makes u wonder, about other things, soap, pit spray, body spray, shampoo..eww all this talk..makes my skin crawl and teeth feel fuzzy..

ladyg
 Real_Brunette
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:10:23 PM
I don't think it is shallow. I notice teeth. I love a nice smile. And people should care about their teeth. I mean if they just have like a crooked tooth in the back or something, no biggie...but bad oral hygiene or seriously bad teeth should be taken care of.
 kikilynn
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/15/2006 4:42:08 AM

I know women won't date me because of my big hairy butt The hair is so bad I can't even go to the beach without a mob chaising me with scissors

TMI Bandito, TMI!
That said, I got one word for ya...

WAX
 Nghtshft
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/4/2006 5:05:18 AM
I think it has a lot to do with genetics and how your teeth were treated as a child...Coming from a large family , my mother didn't work and my step-dad providing for us, we couldn't afford the dental care that a lot of others got. I always brushed my teeth, that was the way I was raised but by the time I got to be a adult I started to have a lot of trouble with mine. It seemed after a number of root canels and caps the problems kept surfacing. Finally I went to an orthodontist and he told me that he could continue to fix them but that he could not ensure that I wouldn't be back in 6 months to have them re-done again. So I opted for dentures...Cost $ 5000.00, and my insurance paid $750. I guess my point is that it's not always bad hygeine but a number of other circumstances. But not doing anything about it at all is bad.

Just my .02
 kikilynn
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/4/2006 7:53:13 AM

I love what Mike Myers did in Austin Powers showing the British dental hygene in the 60's/70's...was just too funny.

Now look closely at Austin Powers...could you play tonsil hockey with him with those yellow teeth....ewwwwwwww

His teeth are actually straight and white in Goldmember!
Check it out!
 huhoney
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/9/2006 9:58:57 AM
congratulations and good luck new beginnings! some good already came of this!!! banadito, who would want to brush yur butt hair? it would be true love, i do groom my dogs, but they can't do it themselves. it's really hard to kiss a man with bad breath, in fact impossible. a nice sweet man i've dated has bad breath, and a large ggrowth thing on his neck and i'm afraid that is causing it, but he won't get it taken care of. just like bad teeth= too bad!
 Amineedsluv2
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:45:54 AM
Well most of my teeth got knocked out by my step dad! As well from abusive lovers! But Iv dated guys with no teeth to few with bad teeth. the ones that let them fester till they rott out of their mouths usually arnt worth getting to know!
 DragonRider
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:02:18 PM
amineedsluv2 - Girl, you are far too pretty to be hanging with bullies and little boys that think hitting girls is okay, or cool...

I will admit that I have a thing about teeth... And have to agree that it is all a hygiene thing... no they don't have to be perfect... but, I do want to see effort there... green is not an attractive color for teeth... stains are okay... but if I can smell your breath from 3 foot, it is going to be hard to kiss you...

(yeah, I know it is kinda silly by mine stems from childhood and an otherwise pretty girl with the old fashioned braces that turned her teeth green... gave me nightmares... )

I would have to say how shallow depends on how picky you are... if they are atrocious to look at... that might be a problem, but if you are looking for snow white... you are probably being a bit too picky...

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons....
~~Dragon Rider~~
 daisy731
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/10/2006 12:12:26 AM
Definitely not shallow.

Regardless of whether they can afford to fix them or not, attraction is a key part of any dating relationship.

If someone's teeth turn you off, the thought of kissing them makes you cringe, or as a result you aren't attracted to them, - then let them go for their sake and yours.

I assume that most people do not want to be with someone that has to "try" to be attracted to them, or has to "try" to ignore some key feature of their appearance.

It's unfortunate but all of us are shallow in some way, there are things physically about a person that attract us or have the opposite effect - and often it's just automatic. Let's just admit that this happens, be aware of when we're doing it, try to overcome it/handle it, but if we can't, then stop beating yourself up.

D.
 Mistress_Bate
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:01:01 PM
heck no, it's not bad. I don't want to date someone because he talks funny. Now, is that bad?!?!?! Again, here I am drunk typing again! SOMEONE STOP ME!!!!
 designingwoman
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2006 9:53:48 PM
I am the same way. I am turned off by guys with filmy teeth looking like they don't know how to use a toothbrush. I also cannot stand dragon breath.

I have preferences, which include clean, healthy teeth--which is an indicator of being in good health. I want the guy to be around for a long time so I tend to avoid men who have gross teeth, poor hygiene or are overweight, all of which are very unhealthy.

Now if you are talking about a little overbite or slight crookedness, that's not as important as how he takes care of his teeth. I'd rather clean, healthy teeth that are a little crooked than nasty filmy teeth that are otherwise straight.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/2/2006 10:15:12 PM
Oh no. Filmy teeth, dirty teeth = nasty breath. No way. Crooked teeth, I have crooked teeth on the bottom, but I guarantee, they are not only brushed and flossed, there is a high probability they were also bleached 30 minutes before I see anyone. As for me, I'd date someone without a vehicle before I'd date someone with un-cared-for-teeth. I have gone without lots of fun things in my life, but my teeth are never without proper care. Just my opinion, but teeth are such a focus point...when you talk to someone, see them smile, watch them laugh ~ they are probably as important as someone's eyes...at least in my opinion.
 sayonara7
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/4/2006 5:36:52 PM
No, it's not shallow ,its a preference.
 designingwoman
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2006 6:38:25 PM
I know someone who has discolored teeth because of antibiotics used when she was a child. It didn't stop her from getting married and having a child.

If the teeth are discolored but otherwise very clean, I could overlook that. It's the filmy, unbrushed teeth that turn me off. Pus around the gum line and infected gums are downright disgusting too. These things are things people can control! I had a date with someone who had unbrushed teeth with that slimy look. He was a one date wonder, and of course I could not kiss that guy. Just the thought of kissing him would make me want to hurl!

In a nutshell, it's the hygiene aspect that concerns me most. Slightly crooked or discolored teeth that are otherwise clean aren't a big deal.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2006 2:11:17 PM

You are too right about the British. I was married to one. "Bad skin, bad food, bad teeth, bad attitudes and bad weather"....

Damn!!! Have you ever been to England? I have quite a few times because of good friends living there and it's not better or worst than in the US.

Are familiar with the lack of dental care in the UK?

Are you??? I doubt it! It's not because you were married to someone who didn't took care of herself that all from the UK are the same.

The people I know from England have AMAZING smiles.
 sparticuss
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/29/2006 2:47:48 PM
I hate answering a question with a question but this time it's appropriate.

Is it shallow for a guy , not to date a girl, purely because she's got flat tits? Not because she's got at attitude problem because of her flat tits. Purely because she's dead flat?
Posted: 8/31/2007 4:17:25 PM
That's like asking if it's shallow to not date someone because they smell funky!
If you aren't attracted to someone for whatever the reason, and it's not something that you can't overlook,
then it isn't necessarily "shallow." It's just your preferrence. Like preferring blondes to redheads. You just prefer
white straight teeth to grey and yellowed jagged ones.
I know someone that doesn't care that her boyfriend's teeth are REALLY bad. Teeth aren't of big importance to her.
I, however, don't want to put my tongue somewhere that doesn't appear to be of the utmost cleanliness.
Teeth ARE of big importance to me. Call me shallow. Call me picky. But if you're teeth look rotten or are kept in a glass at night....
DON'T call me! lol
 orchidtigress
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/1/2007 12:25:51 AM
nope, not if kissing is important
 funlady1958
Msg: 88
Posted: 9/1/2007 1:18:19 AM
How come we are talking about this? Take a look at when this thread and question first originated:

1/8/2006 859 PM

After I read three or four posts, I stopped since swtgirl states that the person's teeth are black and missing. I have a friend who works in a half-way house with drug users. He told me that black and missing teeth means past or present drug useage, usually cocaine (? spell).

So I would say run! run!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > tell me girls is it shallow to not date someone because they have bad teeth?