Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Total Gym - anyone have one?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bfit4fun333
Msg: 3
Total Gym - anyone have one?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I will have to concur with the previous post as I have owned a Bowflex for a few years now and I love it! It is SMOOTH and it is a QUICK workout as well. If I am not building or training specific......then it only takes 2-3 times a week to maintain what I have (or my current level of fitness) I can get a really good workout (total body) in about 20-30 minutes time. Gotta love that!!
I also will agree with Sweetiie and say that you definitely need a good set of dumbells as well. (I have the kind that stack inside themselves which takes up a heck of a lot less space than traditional dumbells) I added a recumbent bike for my cardio as I can sit back and read while get my 'SWEAT TIME' in. The last thing I added was a dip/pull-up station that can work your abs as well. I live in a two-bedroom Condo and this all fits in my second bedroom that has been converted. Total cost for me was about $2K.

To answer YOUR question, I think the "Total Gym" can be an effective piece of equipment, but I PREFER the Bowflex to anything out there. (and I have the older model that only weighs about 70 lbs. total)

Oooooops........I was not counting the incidentals that can add to your workouts. Jump rope, exercise ball, swivel plate (for obliques), hanging straps (for lower abs) to name a few, lol.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 4
Total Gym - anyone have one?
Posted: 1/17/2006 10:00:44 PM
I had one. I think its over rated a bit. But it does do the job. If you stay with it. Was a long time ago. I think I threw it away. We use to leave it on the porch. It just got old looking, and wore out. Weather will do that. That was back when we didn't have a lot of room before we got the new house. I got it because I wanted my boys to be in good shape, and be strong and healthy. (I now have a room full of stuff, to work out on it. Now I just need the will power.)
 Atone74
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:30:52 PM
I do have one, but never uses it. I perfer dumb-bells and the good ol' push-ups.

-Atone
 opticalnoise
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2006 12:43:49 AM
When I was living at home we had one of them. Let me tell you some things about it.

It is not easy to put away, it is a real pain

When completely unfolded, it takes up a lot of space

The handles are pretty poor quality, and during a lot of excersizes you end up with a lot of weight pressed against your wrist via the hard plastic. Ouch.

The cables and cable covers are of pretty poor quality and wear out pretty fast

The most weight you can possibly lift is 60% of your body weight

The only reason I can think you would want to buy one is if you are a real cheap skate, a shut in, or just someone who doesn't know any better about how crummy these things are. My advice coincides with others here. Just buy a cheap dumbell and straight bar set that you can do your workout with.
 Mich_82
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2006 8:57:04 AM
"has anyone tried that Total Gym contraption that Chuck Norris does the infomercials for"

Chuck Norris eek!
I wouldnt dare trying anything out he promotes :p

I have an sort of total gym solution at home but i ended up going back to the gym anyway. The only good exercises to do at home are the basic ones in my opinion with a simple set of dumbells

Greets

Mich
 FloridaFencer
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:45:17 PM
I bought a Total Gym XL about 2 years ago with the weight bar, and then bought some plate weights as I knew my own body weight would not be enough for the exercises. I love it! However, as good as the exercises are, dumbbells are a very good compliment. I bought the Nautilus Select Tech set. The combination (Total Gym & Select Tech) give me several very good, well-rounded exercise regimes.
 HikingFitGuy
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/23/2007 6:50:49 AM
I have a total gym in my shed,

Apparatus with a bar for chinups, dip handles for dips and pads for leg raises,

I have a 2 benches, a barbell and dumbells, a fit ball and mats, plus a big hill near where I live to take care of cardio.(no need for an incline treadmill where I live)

Basic and simple to work the entire body, both aerobically and anaerobically
 techguy
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/25/2007 9:33:56 AM
A lot of people talking about the Total Gym that don't own one. I bought one two years ago (the 1500 model) and it's a lot better than people in the forums are letting on. It's one of the rare things you see on infomercials that works as advertised.

The benefits to using a Total Gym are numerous, the drawbacks are few and far between.

PROS

- Most versatile single piece of exercise equipment in the home at this price range
- Very lost cost considering what you're getting
- Not a gimmick (the only question is your motivation)

CONS

- The leg pull accessory kit is a pain to use
- Some exercises are difficult to perform on an incline
- Resistance is limited to a portion of your body weight

The unit will occupy a lot of space because it's very long. Thankfully, unlike the BowFlex you can stick it in your basement because you don't need eight foot ceilings. The machine will fold up, but it's unstable when folded and a pain in the ass to move because it doesn't stay together. You're better off opening it up and leaving it open.

There is a bit of a learning curve to be able to do the exercises and get into position on the board, but the machine provides smooth, consistent resistance like you would get with free weights (unlike with elastic band machines) and it works.

orchidtigress
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/16/2007 12:19:25 AM
I own one but a better version called a Vigor Fit Gym. ( you can add weights and it has more attachments and also resistance bands)

I think you would probably like it since you can alter cardio with strength training. What would also be great for you is that it is not big and bulky requiring lots of room like a BowFlex (yes, great but needs room), and I think it could be used by your entire family if desired. If you had little ones, you could also sit them on your stomach when you worked out for added weight..lol.

In case you are interested I bought mine from ebay.
 12handicap
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/16/2007 6:10:37 PM
I have one and it's not a bad unit. I personally don't believe you can build any serious muscle using the total gym but I think it's a great cardio and toning machine if you're prepared to invest the time. I found the Total Gym to a little difficult to master at first (it's not as free flowing as free weights or weight machines) but once I got the hang of it; I enjoyed the workout. It'll make you sweat and it'll make you suck wind if you hit it hard which is definitely better than nothing.
 Toaste
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/6/2011 6:37:32 PM
I was reading over these posts, and here is my conclusion.
(I do not own a total gym)

I should start doing push-ups daily. When I build the commitment to do that, for one month at minimum, I will then use the dumbbells that I already have for additional exercises.
(Hex dumbbells, 2 of each in pounds, 10,15,20,25,30,35, and 2 different 5lb)

For me, the most important reason to even think about what I am going to buy, is motivation and consistency. I already have workout tools to begin with. Having a nice new total gym would be awesome, but how would I keep up at it.

That is always my number one problem. I am only consistent short term, not long term.
(As well, I do this in other aspects of my life.)
 statemachine500
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/6/2011 7:06:11 PM
I have owned one since 87.Still has it's place,if you don't feel the resistance is enough you can superset or work it in with other weight movements.The older models with the footstrap is capable of a hamstring movement like no other in intensity.Hook your feet in,extend all the way straight,then begin to curl your legs while slightly raising your pelvis off the pad.Super intense,even more so than TRX glute ham raises.
 satx78218
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2011 7:30:04 AM
I found the total gym concept appropriate for me but the prices were outrageous.

I've never like working with heavy dead weights, other than a couple of small dumbbells, am not a bulking-up body builder, refuse to waste my time and money commuting to a subscription gym.

I bought this Bayou Fitness beauty:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N2X1AG/ref=asc_df_B000N2X1AG1810642?smid=A3DI1PQ3I3V3R1&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000N2X1AG

and really like it. Use it about 3 times/week for past 2 1/2 years. Significant increase in upper body, arm, legs, back muscle, but not bulky. I just added 2 x 25 pound plates for a little more resistance.

For $500, you get a really solid machine compared to Chrisite Brinkley's, and it has all the attachments of her $2000 unit. When it's hot enough and sunny, I roll it outside and get 30 minutes of sun while working out, my own "muscle/Venice beach". :)
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2011 2:11:38 AM
I have a total gym and love it. Mine is a total gym 2000. I got it about 11 years ago. I've used it for years with the idea of toning and keeping in shape. I love the resistance with the cables but haven't used that part for a while. I have my hand in a brace so I couldn't use that part for a while. Over the years I've bought almost every optional thing you can buy for it. Right now I'm using it basically for lunges and stretching. I have a pilates bar and I can do anything on it that you can use a pilates machine for. There is an optional kickboard that I need to get. I really like doing squats on it. It really worked me out so I was in great condition for my knees when I had bilateral knee replacements 2 weeks apart. It helps with the back and torso/trunk as well. Mine is set up in the living room so I can use it anytime. There is so much you can do with it and it helps every part of the body. The stretching helps with flat feet, achilles tendonitis and plantar fascitis. I have the dip bar. My favorite options are the pilates bar you can do great abs exercises and the new abs add on you are on your knees and pull yourself up. I wouldn't give it up for anything. I also do bands, ropes and weights.If you buy it you'll love it. It's money well spent.
 DrSnore
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/24/2016 3:49:23 PM
I agree with the personal trainer who said the best home gym is the BowFlex. The second, in my opinion, is the Total Gym. I have had both. They are both extremely well made, low stress, and joint friendly. Right now I have a Total Gym, because I could pick it up for $20. So, consider a used machine. Look in your local newspaper, or a Trading Post paper. Both machines will, I feel, last a lifetime, because they are so well made.
 mgepetto
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/7/2016 8:45:14 AM
You can't do that many exercises on it. But,for the price $ 15 its not bad. Don't get a gym membership,too much little writing on the contract to get you to overpay for a membership. Watch the underground seminar by Mike Mentzer on You Tube first.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/12/2016 7:44:51 PM
Overpay? I pay a handsome price of 300.00 a year and for this price - all machines, all equipment I can think of, weights, balls etc., steam room and hot sauna which I use every time, help from staff, and lots of hotties to look at. I've been going almost every day. I don't take my phone or glasses to work out, when I work out my eyes rest.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Total Gym - anyone have one?