Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in pe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ldygmr
Msg: 5
Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in person?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
With me it was that point when we got face to face for the first time. After all the emails and phone calls we FINALLY met....and it was explosive. For HOURS.

(one year passes)
Then the pr*ck stopped using his "courting behavior" and I found myself living with a total stranger. NOT sexy.

Note to Guys....that whole best behavior crap is bullshite. Start as you mean to continue. Changing up when you can't maintain the lie anymore is gonna hand your a$$ a messy breakup.
 TechnoBear
Msg: 6
Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in person?
Posted: 1/17/2006 3:33:36 PM
Yes, it is possible to fall in love before meeting the person.

BUT they haven't fallen in love with that person because they don't know anything about them. They have fallen in love with their own construction of who the person is. A fantasy. They've fallen in love with someone who doesn't exist.

Hmmm. I wonder what the chances of success are for THAT couple?
 Papillongirl
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/17/2006 3:37:53 PM
In my personally based opinon, yes. I didn't say it out loud but I knew I was falling for a guy online, when we met, it was a sure thing. It didn't last forever, but what time I was with him I was in love. As for doing it again, now I am more cautious than before, but yeah, I belive it can happen as long as the persons involved are honest and true(does that happen anymore??) But that was me, not anyone else, so take it as you will.
 djc02359
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2006 4:34:39 PM
I think many people fall in love with falling in love...
 sammysalt1
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/17/2006 4:48:45 PM
Can a person fall in love with the e-mail stage. Yes. They can. My cusion did, and knew he was the one before they met, and now they are married. (Have been for a few years, and still going strong.) So yes, some can, but its rare. Normaly its people that are sure of who they are, and know what they want out of life. Thats the ones that end up married, and it works.
 crystalise
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:37:24 PM
Yes it is. Communication without physical distraction, can be a powerful thing
 Real_Brunette
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:58:36 PM
Yes. I have been in love with Sean Connery for over 20 years.
 thatgirl_next_door
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/18/2006 9:50:50 AM
I'm of the opinion that falling in love takes time... and true love involves all facets of your lives... understanding all dimensions of the person you are falling for.

I'd have to agree with the people who say it's possible... I think there are people out there who give their heart easily, but is it a deep and abiding love? No... probably not. Will it change with the added element of a person's physical presence? Absolutely! It is also likely that as many people have mentioned, that the person falling in love is more in love with the idea of the person or the idea of being in love. There is far too much to a relationship to really conduct it over the internet alone.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2006 10:18:12 AM
^^If you're not compelled to meet I can't see it as love whether there are mitigating circumstances or not. Hope you're having a good humpday afternoon out ther acasha.
 djc02359
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2006 4:08:55 PM
I think really loving someone with all of your heart and soul is a choice and a committment. Many people think they are in love when they are in LUST..they find out it wasn't real when the newness wears off and they become bored. At this point, they may or may not choose to love and committ to each other. Love is an action. I don't believe it can happen unless the person is choosing it.People have different motives for the way they act. Some men/women take hostages...others are codependent, and even more are just plain lonely and/or bored. Lots of married men "fall in love"(they think) when it is just a way to get outr of a marriage that they don't even know they want out of. The affair is the action that precipitates this. Many women "fall in love" because they want someone to take care of them.I don't consider any of these to be true love relationships.

My interpretation of love is when you want the other person to grow to become his or her best....even if it means that they leave must you to achieve their goals and dreams.This kind of love is unselfish and expects/demands nothing in return. I think it's a rarity.
 SunChyne
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 12:25:26 PM
Absolutely...as bizarre as my story will sound to some of you..I still say yes.
I have had an internet/phone relationship for 9 yrs. ok don't get me wrong we both see other ppl and have our own lives ...(I'm not that weird) but we def. love each other and we always will.
Every time we made plans to meet something would stop it I believe it was fate...
we actually decided not to meet so that just in case we didn't like each each other in person we would still be cool with each other....I know its crazy but it just seems to work for us...we always tell our friends we have this relationship b/c we know that someone would always be there for us. (Yes we actually have a couple of mutual friends)

BTW we are supposed to meet on our 10 year anniversary
 boons_
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/21/2006 4:44:27 PM
nope.. i wouldnt say so.. you dont know how the person really is till you meet them in person
 fantasyland11
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/3/2006 11:00:22 PM
The mind is complex yet simple. Have you ever read a story book and completely into it?.... Cry, laugh... all the different emotions as the chapter takes you....Well ..what is love? What is considered as falling in love?
 mustangsally1273
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2006 1:25:33 AM
I think you love, care deeply and also possibly fall in love with someone you haven't yet met in person...as long as you believe and feel in your heart that they are who they claim to be, faithful/trustworthy and honest...but if you have any doubt, I don't think it would be real...looks are SOO much better when you KNOW a person anyways, or can make a hot person look TERRIBLE if you know them to be a liar and cruel. Appearances of the heart look way better than the exterior.....
 txtobyfan
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/4/2006 8:55:01 AM
I did....we chatted a whole year before meeting, then we talked on the phone, then met...then thats when it hit both of us hard....
 tesaz
Msg: 51
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:49:13 AM
Hey all..............I used to be a bit of a skeptic with regard to falling in love on the net or phone. However I'm not now. I did fall in love with someone 3,000 miles away. We met, and our gut instncts were right. In fact we are engaged and starting to plan our future together. It can happen, when ya least expect it. He happens to be the best friend of my brother in law who is also out west.
 Bandito
Msg: 52
Posted: 2/6/2006 7:27:27 AM
I think you can fall in love...people have been doing it for centuries.

However, I don't think you can "fully experience love" until you finally meet and can let your other senses be fully satisfied. I don't think you can fully love someone until you have felt your heart totally open with a deep loving kiss. How can you be fully in-love without ever looking deeply into your lover's eyes as you climax? How can you be fully in-love until you wake-up in the morning spooning into them, collecting their warmth and feeling totally satisfied.

You can easily fall in love but never fully experience that love if you choose to remain seperate and never enjoying what real love and life have to offer.

Just my two cents,

Bana-dito
 Bandito
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/6/2006 12:17:47 PM
Behave...moi? Oh don't count on that beffers

I have been through the on-line gambit as most have here to know what the difference is between falling in-love on-line vs in real life. The emotional intensity perhaps is the same just the real life love has all the extra fixings. Kind of like having a thanksgiving dinner with just the cranberry sauce and nothing else...yes, it is a thangsgiving dinner but is it enough really?
 Bandito
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:08:11 PM
omg...*classy-canuck*...you are riding me now for my silly typo's

redmamma. I got the package wrapped and ready to move out on a dime's notice when I get that call.
 Raven1
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:40:48 PM

Only desperate people feel they are in love pre-meeting.

I would not call it desperation.

It's highly possible to fall in love with their PERSONALITY, but it's also wise to not get too attached. You may meet and then find there's no real chemistry or attraction between you and them.

I've had many encounters meeting people in the past.
Whether it was from phone chat lines or websites such as this.
Meeting up as friends and having no expectations other than meeting a decent person for a new friendship is the best way to go. That way if there is no chemistry in person or no attraction then that's ok, you can perhaps decide to just remain friends.
You don't (or at least shouldn't) have to be attracted to someone or find them attractive to maintain a friendship with them. (unless you're one of those superficial and shallow people)
Meeting people with no real expectation that way puts less strain and tension on the whole ordeal as well!

coffeencreme
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:48:29 PM

Only if you're INSANE or SUPER, SUPER DESPERATE.
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/6/2006 3:44:06 PM
I think it is possible to fall in love with the illusion of what you think the person is. However until you met them in person, you do not truly know who that person really is.
 shortstuffT
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/8/2006 5:20:53 PM
i know all about the cemented feelings. I met my husband on this site originally last year. It was just reading his profile then talkin to him on msn that made me feel that there was just something about him. The meeting him finally was the icing on the cake that the instinct was right. It is possible but when you least expect it is all but it really is possible.
 mauget
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/16/2009 7:13:56 PM
NO. it requires times together. The works of our lords hand.
 cindy-estancia
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/16/2009 11:12:44 PM
but he was always on my mind,and i wished d meet him in person,and I dreamt of him too many times and I wished I could touch him each day or make him breakfast.but then we never met at all, my heart beats fast whenever we talk on line but what do you call that?is it imagination or love.its long gone now.but it could have been beautiful.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone before meeting them in person?