Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > u can't have a plutonic friendship with opposite sex      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shore66
Msg: 2
u can't have a plutonic friendship with opposite sexPage 1 of 50    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
If men are from Mars, and women from Venus, and we live on Earth - how does Pluto enter into a friendship? That's pretty far out!
 Ainsel
Msg: 4
u can't have a plutonic friendship with opposite sex
Posted: 1/21/2006 9:32:04 AM
^^^^Good one Shore

Yes, men and woman can have a plAtonic relationship with each other but it does not usually mean hanging out for hours in a twosome and doing things like spooning and cuddling. Twosome's and physical affection are a sign of more than a platonic relationship IMO.

Hanging out with a bunch of people of both sexes who are not paired off and with whom there are mutual interests counts as platonic relationships. One can be friends with people of both sexes but there are lines that don't get crossed.
 SunChyne
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 9:44:25 AM
wow...interesting I have never thought about this...honestly I believe its possible but I have never had "just" a guy friend....(xcept online) weird
 zentral
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 9:55:01 AM
You mean with someone from the underworld?

plutonic: igneous rock that has solidified beneath the earth's surface; granite or diorite or gabbro

If you mean platonic, then yes, I have, and no, it isn't difficult to do even if they are attractive, if they are not the right match for you.
 nipoleon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:12:47 AM
Sure, you can have a Plutonic relationship with the opposite sex. I've done it. It's not as much fun, but I've done it.
 DnickieD
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:17:51 AM
Absolutely yes you can have a friend/s of the opposite sex. I have male friends that have never crossed that line for many years. They are happily married and some not, and wouldn't dream of it, nor would I. They drop in from time to time for a coffee and we gab our heads off. I think the world of them, and have had many people sugest that they were looking to get lucky, which just isn't true. We trust each other and can confide in the other, knowing that it won't go any farther. We've helped each other through the crises de jour, and had alot of laughs over some silly things many many times. We've hugged and kissed each other's cheeks, but in no way does that send the message that we want to get it on! I think that if someone thinks that it's just tempting to try it, has some issues he's/she's not showing up in convos, which could be jealousy/control/ or just self confidence/esteem issues. Just my 2 cents worth.
 nipoleon
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:21:35 AM
OK,OK! PLATONIC, you know what I mean !
 CinnamonCat
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/21/2006 11:27:35 AM
@shore66 --
: If men are from Mars, and women from Venus, and we live on Earth - how does Pluto enter into a friendship? That's pretty far out!

Maybe she treats you like a dog?
 mightydog
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 12:14:30 PM
Most women refuse to accept it (or admit it).

Women like keeping guys on strings for later use.
She dates, decides to be friends. He hopes for more. He is so desperate (or hopeful for nooky) that he agrees to be buddies.

Repeat.

Now the woman knows that she always has someone to call to get her out of trouble, to pick her up when she is drunk or has a fight, or maybe protect her if she gets stalked or something.

She also gets to hang out and drink someone elses beer.

She gets to hang out and bask in her own glory with these "platonic" guys trying to show how cool, nice and accepting they are. And if she has a break up, she can immediately find a guy to tell her it isn't her fault, how sweet and beautiful she is, etc etc etc.

Women who hang out with men instead of women ususally are attention junkies. Also, I have noticed, they prefer men because they can manipulate them. They don't like women friends because the women see right through them.

This is my $.10. Obviously the women who fit this bill will deny it, but some of you younger guys need to learn this lesson fast.
 free2bme18347
Msg: 28
view profile
History
u can't have a platonic friendship with opposite sex
Posted: 1/21/2006 12:59:20 PM
I can honestly say that I have many male friends... some of who are my best friends.

Strickly platonic..... YES!

I myself have always gotten along better with men for some reason. (But that's a whole other thread lol)

A few years back when I found myself single again after many years of marriage. My best friend (male), and I decided that we would step our friendship up a few notches. Afterall... We were the best of friends, and that is were a relationship is suppose to start right?

WRONG!!!!!

It was a complete disaster!

The results..... We both lost our best friend. We haven't even spoke to one another in 4 years.

So yes... Women and men can/do have platonic relationships.
and No... Spooning, cuddling, and foreplay are not part of a platonic relationship.
 dasure
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/21/2006 2:40:25 PM
Yes you can have a plutonic relationship with the opposite sex. One of my best friends is a woman. I have known her for the better part of 15 years. She is a great girl, but I know that we are not for eachother. I will tell you this, when you meet a true friend then hang onto them. Relationships come and go, but true friends are forever. I'm 36 years old and I have 3 friends that I have known for over 15 years, so yes it can be done.
 worstguyonhere
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/21/2006 2:47:19 PM
Men give love to get sex and women give sex to get love. Christ I love saying that, oh yeah this too, men are as faithful as their options. The truth shall get you messy.
 starzineyes
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:08:52 PM
Funny spelling errors aside, I knew someone who said, "Men don't have women who are friends. They just have women they haven't slept with......yet!"

Might not be entirely true -- as one person said, what about our brothers, sisters and coworkers. But I do think it's close.
 DacaInaru
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:28:43 PM
I think it possible.. unfortunately I have met a few guys who I have told that i'm not looking for a romantic or physical relationship.. they say they are cool with it then try to get in my pants and are surprised when I tell them to buzz off..
 lexus430
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:50:07 PM
you can do it if you want access to all of her girlfriends or his guyfriends
 huhoney
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/21/2006 4:07:00 PM
web dict: plutonium= radioactive chemical element ... plutocracy=govt by the wealthy... plutonic= pet a dog on the head, but expect a large reaction! ...playmate=well you know!
 becky_jo
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/21/2006 4:55:04 PM
I have several guy friends. One of my best friends is a guy. We have been together through many failed relationships (on my part). He is married, we all go out together from time to time, but there are also times when he and i just kick it. The biggest problem with men and women being friends that I have found is the trust issues within the relationship that I have had with my boyfriends. They do not understand, are jealous, and demand that I cut out my guy friends. I just refuse to do it. If they don't trust me, we don't have anything anyways.

Depends on the individuals I think.

Becky Jo
 Gideon797
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:17:10 PM
This is a question that concearns maturity and trust,His point is I should be enough Man for you.Your point Dont you trust me?I have had issues myself with this in the past.I understand YOUR point of view and Yes you can have friends that are of the opposite sex,I do.Untill he realizes this truth,for himself it will continue to be a problem.
 TheGoon
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:28:32 PM
I've tried to keep female friends. I just end up sleeping with them. However, after you sleep with someone and finally get that out of the way, it's ok to be friends with them if you are both on the same page. But again, I've ended up sleeping with every girl that I've speant any significant amount of time with (other than family of course) and I even call some of those girls my "friends" not friends with benefits.

I think it's important to at least sleep with them so you can get it out of the way. If you don't, then you are always going to be wondering what it would be like and who wants to go through life wondering what things are like, isn't it better to experience it for yourself?
 Gideon797
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/21/2006 7:27:20 PM
Thats what I mean by maturity a Mature peron LOVES and wants the best for you,includig you having friends and a life of your own,A Inmature one tries o own and controll
 worstguyonhere
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/21/2006 7:38:28 PM
Yeah geez what the hell was I saying? And If I'm elected I'll make it illegal to kill puppies and make everyone be nice people too. And I'll buy you all a pony. No a unicorn of love. I heart unicorns. Lalala.
 dave1234
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:06:41 PM

(Msg 52) I think it's important to at least sleep with them so you can get it out of the way.

That's a very good point. There is nothing more......what's the word I'm looking for......peaceful? relaxed? calming? than having slept with someone and still be friends after it's over. I guess it's like being friends with one's ex-girlfriend. If the relationship truly ended by mutual agreement then neither one really wants to have sex with the other. When there are no sexual feelings it's great. It's like a regular friendship. Makes sense, Thegoon.

I've physically slept with ex-girlfriends but never had sex with them. We'd go out for a few drinks and I'd end up staying over and sharing their bed but that was it. It's a nice feeling. Difficult to explain.
 redmamma
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:10:30 PM
I umm think that this thread has been done... and I think that I have never done anything plutonic... platonic is another story....
 carolynwv
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:15:14 PM

I think it's important to at least sleep with them so you can get it out of the way. If you don't, then you are always going to be wondering what it would be like and who wants to go through life wondering what things are like, isn't it better to experience it for yourself?

so thegoon this blows the whole idea of being platonic = not sensual or sexual ...
your idea is getting back to the idea of friends with benefits ... whole other label since
we seem to want to label everything lol

Question for you .... did you sleep with your brother or sister to SEE what that was like?
Come on if you HAVE to sleep you were not seeking a platonic friendship to start.

A true platonic friendship is like any friendship .... your either really truely friends or your not!
Actually I love a males friendship and if it should go farther just means the end of platonic and hopefully a great love relationship.

The males I have had as friends for years we already know our likes and dislikes so platonic it is !!! I for one will not sleep with my male friends just to have a fling ( I want the sensual and sexual type you only get with a lover), not a friend with benifits sorry!!!

Platonic can end just like any other friendship!!!
just my .05 cents worth
 po1
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 11:36:32 PM
yes you can. Its called MARRAIGE!!!!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > u can't have a plutonic friendship with opposite sex