Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > IQ, Important or not      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 20
view profile
History
IQ, Important or notPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
You know, as much man as I am and capable of stooping a beautiful woman of fewer brain cells, as middleaged man now I'm kind of looking for a more reasonate substance. I however am not a snob, so if the woman is smart enough to talk to and reason with me, and intuitive enought to love me the way I want to be loved and she doesn't hink she s*h*i*t*s ice cream, then she is for all intents of purposes a Goddess of undeniable allure in my kenning.
 Melodic Euphoria
Msg: 28
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/23/2006 8:17:43 AM

Now, here comes the question: Is the IQ of a friend, lover or partner important enough to stimulate the progress of the relationship between these two or could the low IQ or lack of it be the cause of the ultimate seperation?

Is that one question or two? The same question? I'm answering yes to it/both of it, but that's my subjective opinion. Anyone who I cannot create a mental connection to, I will not be able to stay long with them. To be able to share my mind with a partner/friend who is able to intellectually stimulate me with their brilliance is so important in my social life...

...I guess that's why I have little social life (just kiddin')
 Riggity
Msg: 41
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/23/2006 10:50:52 AM

For some people it can be the financial situation

Sadly enough, this is very true. A good friend of mine has been engaged in a relationship with a women for about 5 years now. I've seen first hand how badly she treats him and how unhealthy this communion really is. So, one day, I took him for a coffee and had to probe a little to get details but eventually found out that it was a financially based relationship. I also found out that they said "I love U" within the first 3 hours of meeting each other. Crazy? I think so!

Is the IQ of a friend, lover or partner important enough to stimulate the progress of the relationship between these two or could the low IQ or lack of it be the cause of the ultimate separation?

Ya know, I've experienced something similar in the past and would have to say that IQ plays a significant role in any relationship. I also believe that having a roughly similar income helps a great deal.
 sctrrdr69
Msg: 71
view profile
History
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/23/2006 2:48:56 PM

I personally like a smart guy...but not TOO intelligent
The Mensa types rarely are much fun ! Hehehe that ought to get them going

Rose- luv ya hon, but I am a mensan, and any place I hang out and party, I always end up with a crowd around me..never boring where I'm at hon,(but I'm always the exception to everyones rule...)
 loving lass
Msg: 82
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/23/2006 8:55:30 PM
I find it interesting that everyone here is assuming the more intelligent of the couple might reject the less intelligent one after a while, but it sometimes happens the other way. Some times people with intelligence... i won't say "dumb" because that's not very accurate for what we're talking about, but rather average or comparatively less intelligent... sometimes they find "smart" people intimidating, annoying, or assuming charge too often because they think they know best.

I've read that research has shown successfully happy couples who've lasted most of a lifetime together are likely to have very similar intelligence, and also a very similar level of confidence, and that conversely couples who are mismatched on these traits are unlikely to last.

Personally, sometimes i've come across a guy so wonderful, so decent and sweet, i REALLY want to make it work, but i've found out the hard way the relationship just won't have any lasting power if they don't have close to my intelligence. Someone who has a higher I.Q. is frequently (though not always), more widely educated and more culturally knowlegeable, and has relatively more curiosity about life that takes them into new interests and pursuits, or into excellence in their field of work. (Probably curiousity usually comes first and intelligence follows). What i've found is if the person i'm dating doesn't by habit read.... the chances they will remain interesting to me is almost ZIP! It's not that i like talking about books, but there is a strong correlation between reading and intelligence.
 TallDarkNSweeet
Msg: 89
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:56:22 AM
^^^

Unfortunately, on seeing it, they can't help but be steamrolled by the futility of life, since they now know just how hopelessly FUBAR everything is.

This statement tells us about you and how hopeless you think your live is. It just goes to show how it doesn't matter how smart you are it's your attitude that determines your altitude. You can have an I.Q. of 150 but have no social skills to help you through live.

Live is not hopeless... well at least not from my perspective!

To have a good brain, is an attractive thing, but especially if you know how to use it!

A lot of people are smart but not very wise in live.
 TallDarkNSweeet
Msg: 90
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/24/2006 2:02:41 AM
There are other types of intelligence which are equally important to me.Emotional intelligence,life experience and compassion matter and have a lot to do with who I enjoy spending time with.

Now this is a smart statement and very attractive... to say the least!!!

Double Cabin
Msg: 101
view profile
History
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:13:56 PM
IQ? Insatiablity Qoutient? You're damn right it's important. However big my ego is at times I know I'm but a man, and I ain't the guy in a coma in "The World According To Garp." Although I haven't tried viagara yet.
 loving lass
Msg: 102
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/24/2006 10:15:14 PM
allie panda:

depends how high you're iq is..
when you start getting up there on the scale you start developing social skill issues..(it typically occurs around 150 on the old scale average being 100-110, the new scale is different and i am unfamiliar with it)

What are you basing this on? My guess is you are stating your opinion...based on personal observation only... and not referring to any study. I would be interested if there were any evidence of your statement, but i doubt it is significantly true.

Yes, we all know the terms nerd and geek... but i think there are popular false assumptions on what it is to be a genius. It's sort of like the general public thinking that all gay men are effeminate. No, sorry. Some gay men you don't know are gay because they are so masculine you assume they are straight. They are right under your nose and you don't know it. And all geniuses are not socially challenged geek stereotypes, either.
 TallDarkNSweeet
Msg: 104
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/24/2006 10:45:31 PM
bambi,

i have seen some of the smartest people do the dumbest things......no, an IQ holds no importnace in my life. Using your noodle to the best of your ability and making the best choices is what holds the key.

I will admit that i am not the sharpest tool in the shed but i do a great job at pretending!

I disagree.... YOur sharper then most!!!
In my books anyways... not that my opinion counts,
but you got my vote!!!

TallDarkNSweeet
Msg: 105
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/24/2006 10:50:07 PM
Linguatic,

Oh, no no no. *I'm* not that smart! I'm just saying... That must be why all the sooper geniuses blow their brains out. Me? I'm just a bit smarter than three chimps, working hard on getting down to two. See you there!

I was wrong and I take my earlier post back!

tran_one
Msg: 107
view profile
History
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/24/2006 11:17:16 PM
for me, intelligence is important. i do like to actually have an intellectual stimulating conversation with the opposite sex, just not too intelligent.
 YamIhere
Msg: 112
view profile
History
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/25/2006 11:19:26 AM

I.Q. tests are biased to cultural backgrounds

I didn't even read any further into that post. That one fragment is a horrible myth and a total crock of sh!t.
 YamIhere
Msg: 116
view profile
History
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/25/2006 12:01:21 PM
YA,
In fact I do. When I was in college I would take part in a lot of the psych department's tests. They were usually fun and put a little money in your pocket. A real IQ test is timed (online tests are not) and present the person taking the test with questions aimed at testing their ability to think rationally and use logic to solve problems. They have nothing of cultural consequence, unless some cultures can't decipher the shapes of objects. You don't even need to be educated (with the exception of being able to read) to take the test.

The online tests are not accurate. Aside from being untimed, they are "dumbed down." On the formal test I took in college, I scored a 136. Since that time I have taken a couple of different online tests and have scored well above that number. The bottom line is, you don't need to be educated even a single day in your life (aside from being able to read) to take an effective IQ test. But IQ only shows the capacity of intelligence a person might hold. It's by no means any sign of how well educated or "smart" a person is.

There are arguments to be made that placement tests like the ACT and SAT are culturally biased. They make some good arguments, but I think they are just that - arguments.
 djc02359
Msg: 121
view profile
History
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/25/2006 4:09:25 PM
IQs are interesting..but I am far more interested in a man's EQ. (Emotional Quotient) In Life we should not be judged by our abilities OR our intelligence. We should be judged by our ACTIONS. It's what a person does with what they have that's important to me.

Just my opinion.
 crystalise
Msg: 124
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/26/2006 12:09:17 AM
It is very, very important to me. Essential in fact. He doesnt have to be a NASA scientist but some basic intelligence goes a long way. You have to be able to talk to a person. Good humour also requires intelligence and humour is vital to me in any relationship. You have to be able to talk about something when you looks have faded, bits have sagged and you reach 90 in your rocking chair........so heres hoping you have a strong mental connection as well as the physical

: )
 crystalise
Msg: 125
IQ, Important or not
Posted: 1/26/2006 12:12:03 AM
[[Women who think of themselves as smart and educated get pretty nasty when you're significantly smarter than they are and consider the things they studied so hard to be obvious.]]

I have to disagree. Not all women. I find I relax and enjoy the company of these men more. I can sit back and its interesting to learn some new insights on just about anything.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > IQ, Important or not