Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why would you ever want to get married?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 torentrap
Msg: 1
Why would you ever want to get married?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I had an ex break up with me because I couldn't set a date to get married (we were engaged for about a year & he got impatient).
So I still don't understand why anyone would want to get married? My parents actually have been married & still are for 34 years so it's not that . But I just don't see the point really.
Anyway just wondering what people's motivations are.

bugsybears
Msg: 2
Why would you ever want to get married?
Posted: 1/23/2006 1:56:24 PM
cause it can be a wonderful thing. just as your parents. they will tell you. for those that have been married for 30 & 40 years, they will tell you it wasn't easy, but they wouldn't change a thing even if they could.
 wellhowdyhi
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2006 1:56:47 PM
When your parents got married, those were the times when staying married lasted for most of the couples. These days staying married is almost as rare as winning the lottery. Your chances are better with marriage, but not much.
 BradPt
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/23/2006 2:08:41 PM
I think people like married because it solidifies a relationship between two people, it creates a comitment that you don't share with anyone else. Some people argue that its only a piece if paper but its very symbolic.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2006 2:49:15 PM
Ah, perhaps for the expectation of longterm protracted, sensational sex among other things?

Whether it comes with a piece of paper or not I want a partner, an equal that pushes me to bemy best. I've also got a lifetime's worth of ultimate love here sa good woman could make good use of I would imagine.
 TheGoon
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:03:21 PM
I'm recently divorced (as in 2 weeks now!) and I would love to be married again.

The biggest part of it for me is once I got married, my life finally began. I'm a bit of a nympho and when not in a committed relationship, I tend to spend most my time on dates or finishing dates up, which is no way to live your life. Always looking for the next lay sux in my opinion.

Marriage is a wonderful thing for me, I personally think it's a way of committing to a degree that you are going to spend the rest of your lives living for each other. It kinda separates the men from the boys in my view.
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:37:03 PM
I just enjoy spreading the misery . . .
 AI03™
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:40:35 PM
^^^ say it ain't so Q !
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:42:58 PM
Well, I haven't had one work out yet! What else am I supposed to say?

OK. OK. It ain't so.

Anyone want to be the future ex Mrs. Summer Teeth?
 bugsybears
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:45:09 PM
i liked that one summer teeth. looks like i too enjoy spreading misery.
 Shangrilah
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:50:29 PM
What Brad said - very true
 AI03™
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:50:48 PM
I thot our forum marriage was working out pretty good.. I think I want a divorce now.
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:52:50 PM
@AI--But it only happened just once . . . I promise! Um--What other excuses do people make about doing stupid things? Ah hell, I'm not good at this.

It's working out great, baby! It's a forum!

it creates a comitment that you don't share with anyone else. Some people argue that its only a piece if paper but its very symbolic.

I agree and yet I disagree. I agree that the piece of paper on the surface creates an illusion that you share something unique that you can't share with anyone else. The reality for me--but, then again, I'm a strange bast*rd--is that once the words "I love you" are exchanged between people (and if it's sincere, mind you!), then you are already in a unique place. I'm commited after I say it. The ring, the ceremony--it's just a formality. If I say those words, again I'm commited--for as long as a woman will have me. I expect the same from others. Of course, at that point, I don't have a problem with marriage either. But marriage--the commitment aspects of it--begin much earlier for me.

Insert meaningless joke here. Man, I can't stand ending on a serious note . . . you bunch of buggers!
 AI03™
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/23/2006 4:02:25 PM
^^*Sigh* is it any wonder I picked you??

I believe in marriage and all it stands for. How could I not with two terrific parents that are married 49 years?
 chevy529
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/23/2006 4:55:23 PM
My parents were married 52 years till my mother passed away. Pretty amazing really. +25 for each of my older siblings

There is hope I guess
 Shangrilah
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:01:02 PM
once the words "I love you" are exchanged between people (and if it's sincere, mind you!), then you are already in a unique place. I'm commited after I say it.

I love that - you have a good one there, honey AI
 herekitty
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:03:01 PM
i was married for 21 years and i would again ...yes i left him ...long story...i like having someone around everyday...yes lots would say its just a piece of paper...if thats what u think ...u shouldnt ever consider marriage
 SwaggerNStrut
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:24:04 PM
Marriage-shmarriage. That stuff's for sissy's and nancy's. I prefer to cry myself to sleep every night crying, "Why?! Why?! Why meeeeeeeeee?!" Then pretending everything is ok the next day. Oh wait, did I think that or type it?
 -Horrible/Brazen-
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:25:34 PM
My parents got divorced when I was 8, then got back together a couple years later but didn't remarry. lol So honestly, I think I'd be fine just shacking up with someone for the rest of my life.
 ~SpiffyKat~
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:27:13 PM
If and only if I ever meet my true best friend and partner in crime..I would get marriedI do believe in the beauty and sanctity of that kind of commitment.For now,I'm just as content being single...so either way..Ill be happy:)
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:41:49 PM
I just think it's nice to have someone to share the rest of your life with. Someone to come home to. Someone who's always there for you.

Marriage I don't think is for everybody. There are people imo that shouldn't be married.
 zentral
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:52:35 PM
Hmm. Maybe for the health benefits for one or the other, social security when you're old, pension transfers when one dies, inheritance simplification and tax reduction in some cases. All practical stuff, and mostly of importance when you're older. If you're young, perhaps for the kids.

Now, with domestic partner benefits and good wills, etc., some of the issues can be addressed - but not social security.
 i_are_nad
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:58:12 PM
to grow old with someone who's loving embrace you will never have to live without. To be able to just see them from across the room and a simple gesture, you know they want a toasted blt and a new diaper! To know that no matter what you fook up, you will be forgiven, and forgave her for fooking up. To know that you will be able to dutch oven her when she is too old and decrepit to run/crawl/roll away.
 jennthelpn
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/23/2006 6:02:08 PM

to grow old with someone who's loving embrace you will never have to live without. To be able to just see them from across the room and a simple gesture, you know they want a toasted blt and a new diaper! To know that no matter what you fook up, you will be forgiven, and forgave her for fooking up. To know that you will be able to dutch oven her when she is too old and decrepit to run/crawl/roll away

ahhh, dutch ovens...what memories are made of hey Naddy??

don't forget the shyt abyss my dear...whats growing old and getting married to someone without a shyt abyss??
 BBdrgn
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/23/2006 8:42:38 PM
^^ Will you Marry me ?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why would you ever want to get married?