Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The Dog or the Girl?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PrincessNaughty
Msg: 4
The Dog or the Girl? Page 1 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
Thats pretty lame to ditch a good guy over a dog. Now if the dog was a bad dog then I could understand a little.
Not like you got the dog after you started dating these chicks, lol its like a guy dating a stripper and then getting mad at her for being a stripper. DUH she was when you met her.
Duh you had a dog when they met you, if it was an issue they shouldnt have waste their time or yours.
 Bandito
Msg: 5
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:28:39 AM
I agree carol27.

There is one thing about making compromises for the benefit of the relationship, it a whole different picture when it comes to the safety of you children or partner.

Having compromised my life away in my previousd relationship, I would say no way, to any one that gave me a ultimatum like that. If it the dog now...just you wait...you will be serving french toast in panties before you know it

I am what I love, if I love my animals and children, then for you to love me, you must love them...

Bana-dito
 YamIhere
Msg: 10
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:46:55 AM
This is a no-brainer - always pick the dog.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 15
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 10:26:03 AM
Leave it to Zentral for some serious logic here. Well done.

Having something against a good dog seems to speak to self absorbtion to me. Someone has a bad dog I wonder how the dog came to be bad, but a good one speaks quite well of his human buddy to me. I have wonderful friends that are quasi-indifferent about dogs and that's OK. Some people freak on a little dog hair, and I wonder what they'll do if you walk in and need them to put immediate pressure on a gaping wound?

I'm going to have to rent "A Boy And His Dog" now. I wonder how many women saw that after first having seen Miami Vice and changed their opinion of Don Johnson?
 Fry Lock
Msg: 18
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 10:55:18 AM
Oh I'm gonna get blasted for this one; my dog bit my granddaughter; it took 3 stitches to close her scalp; no one knows why he did it (we were all there, it just happened so fast , no one really even saw it, she was 3) the main reason we kept the dog after was he was a.like part of the family, (my grandma use to crack us one for no good reason after she got old and senile, & we kept her) and b. the ex's best friend had just died, I couldn't take the other best friend from him too; the dog stinks and runs away, eats outta the garbage and is a general nuisance, but so are some of the other members of my family, & I'm not getting rid of them cause they bother me....if she can't take the dog as part of the deal, what else is she gonna make you get rid of? (BTW, he got the dog when we split, can't say I lose sleep over it)
 tictactoe
Msg: 21
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:15:10 PM
saggypancakes

To me, pets hold the same value as kids

Seeing you hold kids at the same level of pets, it's a good thing you have things you want to accomplish.
 tictactoe
Msg: 23
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:21:31 PM
For me it's not a case of woman vs. dog. It's very simply my commitment to my favorite friend who's been by my side for nearly ten years now. If someone can dispose of their pet so easily to make room for me, I'd have second thoughts of moving into a relationship with person who could. I've inserted a story from Charles Adler which is along the lines of giving up a pet to accomodate a new life.....

--------------------------------------

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent, and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch- because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog" and you resented every expenditure on my behalf. Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dog speak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.
 tictactoe
Msg: 24
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:41:54 PM
saggypancakes

You wrote,

To me, pets hold the same value as kids

same thing
 barnyardbabe
Msg: 26
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:49:51 PM
keep the dog or animals ya have and loose the broad...........its a package deal.........need to make that clear before the first meeting in case the meeting should develop in to a relationship.........that way ya both know 'up front'.......i'm keeping my animals~~they are always here for me and don't lie or cheat..................................
 passionteman
Msg: 28
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:56:57 PM
A woman is WAY much important than a dog. What could a dog do, sit, kneel, poop around without you cleaning his azz and then sit on your bed and couch and you touch your hand there and then rub it against your lips, mess around the house etc. etc. etc. If you really love an animal, you let it free so that it lives on its own, hunts whatever it wants and eats what it feels like without putting a leash around its neck and pushing it one way or another.

I would let the dog out and let the girl in.
 Witchypoo
Msg: 29
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:57:51 PM
Well hooyahhh it is quite standard in my life to have pets and kids surrounding me pretty much most of the time. Kids of course don't go anywhere until they grow up and leave home as my daughter has done. Now there is a new generation of little rug crawlers PLUS many new pets. 1 horribly spoiled little chihuahua, who stays quite often, 2 spoiled cats and a soon to be beautiful white german shepherd who will be on his way to me at the end of next month. I cannot way for that amazing four legged beast.

Anybody who would ever ask me to choose between my pets and them will be walking out the door and hoping it wouldn't hit them in the a$$ on the way out. My pets are family too and aren't going anywhere.

I guess if I married some guy who was allergic we would have to have separate residences or have him get his allergy shots regularly.

:))
Witchy
 tictactoe
Msg: 31
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 4:56:55 PM
passionteman

In coming to your defence i can see where your concerns are about pets that are left to their own devices when their owners are gone countless hours in a day. Some having pets and not spending time with them. On the whole, there are more of us who care for our buds. Four legged buds that is.

As for nuetering or spaying, its the kindest thing you can do so other pets don't become casualties of being unwanted. A dog which has been fixed can still enjoy life.

Dogs are not the only ones that have forgotten their survival instincts passion! Humans have as well. Some would sit in the way of danger than do something for themselves. That is a whole new thread.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 38
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:04:04 PM
When I got divorced the first time.. my ex husband paid "horse support" for a year just so I could keep my horses...

When I got married the second time, I told him up front... you'll go before my animals will...

I ended up with a second divorce!!! LOL... when I date a guy... I watch how he reacts to my animals. I have 4 dogs.... two little ones inside who sleep with me and then a****r spaniel I picked up in the middle of the highway in GA and brought her home and a black lab, oops.. almost forgot.. I have 5 dogs... my german shepard puppy.. my little baby BRAT.. LOL

And then there are the cats... the horses.. the turtles, fish and one little parakeet... I have a tendency to pick up strays what can I say... So I always have to pick my animals. Love me, love my critters... Yes... I remind people of Ellie Mae Clampit..
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 39
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:35:39 PM
@AI03

I have a friend who was in K-9, when she got out they let her keep both her dogs.

When a law enforcement dog gets killed, it really does affect everyone that was around that dog, those dogs protect people just like the police/sheriffs do. Kudos for Nitro.. such a shame and so very very sad.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 40
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:37:32 PM
@ tictactoe

Now I could have gone all night without crying!!! I've had that sent to me before and it is so sad, I do not understand how someone could just get rid of a dog after having it for many years, that is just so not right.
 tictactoe
Msg: 41
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 10:10:49 PM
Rouxx

The piece came from

http://www.charlesadler.com/news/NPViewArticle.asp?cmd=view&articleid=515

Charles Adlers site...

I have it on my MSN site as well and it's not an easy story to read ....
 tictactoe
Msg: 42
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 10:12:06 PM
mesnafugal

It's hard to read the first time, and difficult to read anytime....
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 43
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 10:17:35 PM
OH I know... it get brings tears to my eyes, I can see the whole thing happening and that poor dog. But then... that is why I have 5 dogs... I'm just too much of a softy for the big brown eyes!! LOL...
 tictactoe
Msg: 45
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 11:03:37 PM
mesnafugal

I have big brown eyes
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 46
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/26/2006 11:17:46 PM
@tictactoe

If you have big brown eyes... and you were on the side of the road.. then I'd have to pick you up, take you home.. give you a nice bath and feed you real good, then let you lay at my feet while I petted you....
 passionteman
Msg: 48
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/27/2006 6:31:21 AM

@ PassIdiotMan...
Stupid is, as stupid does. You can't train the best of them.

Very mature of a 50 year old woman.
 Johnzer
Msg: 50
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/27/2006 6:59:57 AM
passionteman are you a member of PETA?
 passionteman
Msg: 51
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/27/2006 7:18:52 AM
passionteman are you a member of PETA?

No. I belong to no such organization. I just have my own personal thoughts. I am not stopping people from having pets, but I am trying to point out how they are being treated, confined and removed from their natural cycle of living. I believe that animals have their own natural cycle, they give birth within a specific period of time, some of the young live, they reach certain age and either get hunted by other animals and or live and go through the same cycle. Different animals have different age span, which ensures their number not increase, which explains encroachments. What we do is break their natural cycle and bring them from their living style and breed them and try to change their way of life. It affects their cycle. They are meant to be in that cycle so that everything stay in order. One animal hunts another, while the strongest ones (lions, tigers etc) stay alive. However, they don't breed as often to turn out dangerous.

I am not against people keeping animals. I would keep one if I had a huge farm and where it would live in its own place. Talking about hygiene, who takes a tissue paper and cleans the dog after the poop? I don't think anyone does. And then we bring it inside the house, where he sits on the couch or on the bed, rubbing its anal hole on it and then you place your head, lips, and hand on the poop and so do your children. And if your opinion is that it cleans itself using its tongue, don't you let him lick your face and kiss you after? Someone was talking about "domesticated" animals. Ya right. No matter how domesticated animals are, they are still animals. They aren't the same as humans. Care to explain the pitbull stories?

If you think that you are kind to the dog by keeping it in your house, no you aren't. If you had let it live its own live in the jungle, he/she already knows how to survive and learns it from its parents. If you really loved them, you wouldn't abandom them during Katrina to get shot. Plus, if they knew their survival skills, they would have already gotten themselves out of the danger on their own, but they lacked it and stayed in danger.
 Synical
Msg: 58
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/27/2006 8:21:53 AM
I don't have a dog at the moment, just my 2 cats, but the basis is the same. The second someone tried to make me choose between my pets or him, he's history. I want someone to love me for me, and part of me is a petlover.... noones going to come into my life and try to rearrange it or lay demands on me in order to better suit him. If he had allergies, I would find a way to accomodate everyone, but if it was a plain selfish ultimatum, see ya.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 63
view profile
History
The Dog or the Girl?
Posted: 1/27/2006 8:41:52 AM
Yes, dog's perhaps envision slobber as the ultimate testament of their bond with you.

The family in Wyoming had a big black lab for 16 years. Willy was a great dog, but he once chowed 16 12oz frozen steaks.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The Dog or the Girl?