Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Importance of a woman's salary?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 djc02359
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Importance of a woman's salary?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
It's funny..I have recently met a few men who have very little money. I'm not a gold digger but I do consider the fact that I don't make enough to support someone else, so from that standpoint I guess I am interested in how much the man makes...

I guess no one wants to be used.
 arri
Msg: 10
Importance of a woman's salary?
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:04:51 PM
It's a sensitive topic

If say it is important ... you look shallow. If you say it's not ... then you are a liar

Avoiding the answer ... seems to be the best strategy
 Knight Rider
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:48:55 PM
well,I find a lot of people decide and choose their mates according to how
successfull they are!

I find this so alarming,what ever happened to finding someone to love,who will be with you through the good and the bad,isn't it love we want more then anything????

When you die,you can't take the money with you,and money is a time a dozen,(sorta speak),but true love is very rare,like diamonds!

I could care less how much money she makes or don't make,as long as the love is mutual!

Knight Rider!
 Knight Rider
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:53:29 PM
Like anything else love,some people have no ambitions and some do,but it does't
mean all people on low income doesn't want a better life.Or maybe they are living
better then most,'cause they are happy with what they got!

If they have love in their heart,and love life,then what else matters!

Knight Rider!
 Knight Rider
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/28/2006 8:04:21 PM
Amen to that funny,like I said,it's what is in your heart that counts,and that said,
that's all that matters to me!

Knight Rider!
 Knight Rider
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/28/2006 8:18:15 PM
Yes tigger,that is a good example of people who use others.

What I'm saying is,not all men or women are like that,in my eyes,I do my share
and she does hers!

If I were with a woman,I sure wouldn't have her paying everything,besides,I'm never
stuck for a job,I beleive in supporting myself anyways!

Having help from your partener is nice as long as it's not abused!
 ManitobaGrrl
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/28/2006 10:00:08 PM
Im getting really tired of hearing the term "golddigger". Would a man want to date or marry a woman who sat on the couch and did nothing every day? never worked? well women dont want to date a man who doesnt work. geez.
 Riggity
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/28/2006 11:45:12 PM
gemini3232,

There's been a lot of discussion around this topic, and quite frankly, when it comes finances, both should be equally responsible. In my last relationship, my ex's parents were constantly arguing about money. He was the primary bread winner in the household and the difference in salary was at least 40 - 45k, per year. What I found amazing though was the fact that she was a much better saver than he was, and she had MUCH MORE in savings, despite the difference in salary. But then again, he was the one paying all the bills, mortgage and both cars.

In any case, I do feel that both parties should earn a respectable living, and not become financially dependent on the other. I would have to say that I would consider a partner who was financially my equal or greater only to avoid conflict over money later on down the road. In addition, If it happened in such a way that I was making more, I would have no problems paying for the extras and would never leave my significant other broke.

Also, I can't see any financial issues if she would rather stay home to raise a family instead of working, but I guess the decision would be up to her.
 mogrl
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/29/2006 7:25:20 AM
Considering that you are 33 and never been married i can understand why you would think this way. The man i`m getting involved with would have to be able so support himself,other then that i don`t care how much money he has,makes.I will not support a grown man.As a single parent I am supporting two teenagers and i have no problem doing so.
 arri
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/29/2006 7:44:50 AM
This is probably going to sound cynical and cause some hate mail for me ... however, I do believe that there are many women on internet dating websites that are looking for a second pay check.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/29/2006 9:28:17 AM
Well I don't work no more and he wouldn't trade me for any one no matter what she made. If something would happen to him, I know I could find someone else if I wanted to. So if girls like me aren't what some men wants then oh well their loss. I like one that knows what I am worth personaly, and I don't mean by what I make, are don't make.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/29/2006 9:40:50 AM
Peoples lives change when you meet someone. I use to work and make more money than him. So finding someone based on what they make seams silly. The only thing in our lifes that hasn't changed is us as people.
I hope someone don't pass on someone wonderful based on money, if so then they might deserve what they do find.
 crystalise
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/29/2006 5:57:43 PM
Gemini - I think its a legitimite question and doesnt hurt guys to consider these things. But I think where you might hit the hot button here so to speak is when you say you are defining your potential mate by their income. So you will probably spark off the same responses that a female would if she started saying she only wanted to go out with some man in a certain salary range...[ just have a look at threads on 'golddiggers' etc] It just comes off as materialistic and some people dont agree with that, however rational your theory

Personally, I think you are perfectly entitled to do that, same as other people out there. Whether or not someone is materialistic is up to them and how much is enough is up to the individual.

If you are concerned, as some women may be too at times, I agree with another post on here stating pre-nup agreement or some kind of set financial arrangement to alleviate your concerns. Maybe even seperate bank account. There are ways and means about to protect what you have spent a life time earning. I have seen BOTH male and female friends been cleaned out by former spouses/ partners Trust me love didnt come into it then, so it is something people should think about. Even at a less dramatic level, those who say they would never marry for money or dont care, have to start considering salaries at some point, such as buying a house or starting a family, even if planning a holiday together

I just dont define my partner by how many 000 he has after his salary, I define him and myself but we could accomplish if we put our salaries together. Again, thats an individual choice.
 uneekguy
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/31/2006 2:46:06 PM
Wake up and smell the moolah! Don't ya know that women are more concerned about your salary cuz when that hapy hapy comes to an end they get "instant social security" at your expense. More women accumulate accumulate their vast wealth and material possessions not by earning it the "old fashioned" way but by their "early inheritance" of your estate. Now aren't you glad you were born a guy?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Importance of a woman's salary?