Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Is marriage really important....... this day & age.....????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mycorosso
Msg: 3
Is marriage really important....... this day & age.....????Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Marriage is really risky these day's. Almost as risky as promiscuity. Living together is just nonsence, IMO, speaking from experience. Not to mention sets a bad example for my children. So that leaves me with a date or maybe several dates with one woman and call girls for options. Still a great life no matter where ya get your honey from.
 BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Is marriage really important....... this day & age.....????
Posted: 2/5/2006 1:52:44 PM
I am prepared to get stones thrown at me for my reply.
I do think marraige is important in this day and age, even more so than ever before,due to the State deciding what we should/should not do.Marraige is a contract made between two people who hope to keep the contract the rest of their lives. I would like to be the one to decide what I want to do in the contract and not have the Government decide for me.
It is not something one should take lightly. It is far better to marry someone we love. However, love is just a feeling .. and ..feelings go away. I would hope in the event I ever do marry again, I could find a man I could continue to have a contract with, long after the love has gone. I have no need to have an attorney decide my contract has ended, just because the love did.
 BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:20:52 PM
Pen I got a good laugh at your post regarding this "serious" topic where you said .. "O bviously this is an area you know nothing about." At last, a man that will admit it.
 bottleneckblues
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/6/2006 9:22:27 AM
Personally, I don't see any advantages to getting married. In fact all I see are disadvantages. I don't see how marriage benefits your life more than being in a committed relationship where you are just living together. It's just a religious ceremony that has been passed down from generation to generation, and we have been brainwashed into thinking that is what you are supposed to do when you fall in love. Some people say it is a way to show someone you are committing to them forever. Well, in this day in age, with divorce rates and infidelity the way they are, anyone who believes that is dreaming. Today's society has proved that marriage does not guarantee forever.

If someone can give me one single advantage that marriage gives you, that you cannot have by not being married, I'd love to hear it. Just one.

Think about this, approximately 50% of marriages end in divorce. If 50% of planes crashed, would you get into a plane?
 bottleneckblues
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:37:22 PM
@ Socky
hahahaha! There's my other sock!!!!!
 Sherlock101
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 10:14:42 PM
Marriage might be a lot less meaningful to many but for me it means a lot. I've never been married but I have had a few long term relationships that lasted longer than many marriages.
If I have learned anything from not being married it's learning it is very, very important to some. In this day and age when so many would rather see the green on the other side of the fence, "quickie divorce and run," it's refreshing to see or meet someone that being committed and monogamous really means a lot. This is a bit cryptic but to those that matters, it’s clear...
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/11/2010 8:33:48 AM
Yes marriage or family is still important, or I guess I should say it is still important to me. Even though I have made mistakes in that area, I am still hoping that I will have a lasting family of my own before I die.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Is marriage really important....... this day & age.....????