Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Ever spend a night in Detroit?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sum1reel
Msg: 4
Ever spend a night in Detroit?Page 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
never been there but i've met some pple who had lived there, and couldn't be happier to leave!..............detroit has gotta be the most dysfunctional city in the US.........it never recovered from the 60's turmoil.......anyone who has the means probably moved out already......i guess they are having the superbowl there with the hope that it might create interest to revitalize it.........i doubt it......i think its like a cancer patient that is too far gone!
 lost John
Msg: 5
Ever spend a night in Detroit?
Posted: 2/4/2006 11:07:44 PM
Let me say up front that I've never been to Detroit, and I've never met anyone from there, so take this how you will.

I'm skeptical of these nightmare descriptions of places made by people who don't live there. I live in Youngstown, and I've heard all the same stories about this city before I moved here. (i.e. if you come to a red light at night, run it. It's not safe to wait.) I even know of a grown man who claims to be afraid to walk in the same neighborhood I LIVE in. A lot of the people who live in the suburbs around here are afraid to be in this city. Now that I've moved here, I always laugh when I hear those kind of stories, because I've never heard a gun shot in the 3.5 years I've lived here. The worst crime I'm aware of in this neighborhood is the occasional stolen vehicle, or the sale of marijuana.

People are often scared off by blight. But there's a difference between blight and a gangland battlefield. You can have one without the other.

Unfortunately, this is self-perpetuating. People don't come here because they think it's scary, and it's scary because there are no people around.

Sorry for the late-night ramblings. :)
 RSwindol
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2006 3:47:09 PM
People always say that they will never forget where they were and what they were doing whenever the 9-11 crashes happened. Well it can't be more true for me. I was in Detroit on a business trip. I was actually working at the Ford Motor Company facility in Dearborn, but had a hotel room in Detroit. It was only supposed to be a one night business trip, but it quickly turned into a 6 days when they shut down all of the airports. I hated that city so much that I finally called my rental car company and told them that I was changing the status of my car to "one way", and I drove from Detroit back to Boston in one day (about a 14 hour drive). The one thing that I saw that amazed me was seeing all of the American flags being displayed on overpasses when I drove through Canada. I will never forget the support that you guys gave me and my country (although some already have).
 Intercooler
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2006 7:02:22 AM
A friend of mine who works for the Detroit Tigers was leaving work one night last summer and was robbed at gun point. He had to make sure to tell the robber that he wasn't going to look at him, so that he couldn't identify the robber. This was so that the robber would feel more comfortable, and less likely to shoot him.

That......is scary.

I go to Detroit every year for the Woodword Dream Cruise, but I stay the hell away from the downtown area. Other parts of the city are pretty nice. Although, the roads up there are super extra mega crappy.....hehe.
 moonstarr
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/3/2006 8:21:10 AM
I used to live about an hour and a half or two hours from there and I avoided it at all costs! Well pretty much, anyway. One time we went to a hockey game going on up there and when it let out it was pure chaos outside *evening time*.

My Aunt and Uncle used to live there ... how they did I'm not sure... I couldn't do it... for one I'd get lost constantly lol...
 mysterious5
Msg: 26
Posted: 4/10/2006 12:16:25 PM
yes I'm the original OP and I was in Detroit, and yes I heard the gun shots (at least 15 to 20 in a few hours) and I also know the difference between a gun shot from a mile away and those only a few hundred feet. Yet the hundreds of nights I spent in Scarborough, Montreal I've never heard anything but when I lived in Surrey I heard the odd gun shot but when in Detroit for a few hours I hear quite the the symphony of gun fire. that kind of tells you something. I also highly suggest you go back and read dbndon's postings, he knows more than you can ever claim about Detroit.

And you claim Detroit is the only major city I've ever been to? that's news to me but I'm not going to take the time to educate you on anything because from your own statistics you think that the greater Detroit area is home to 9 million people. Well this Canadian is going to give you some knowledge on your own country...The whole state of Michigan has a population of approximately 10 million.

And in reference to the 8 bodies that they found just south of London that is a biker related crime and I've known a few bikers in my life and if you mind your own goddamn business they'll leave you alone. And since you said "from here near London" but your profile says Detroit I have to ask where exactly do you live? Your an American living in Canada yet give the impression that you live in Detroit but also wear a Canadian shirt in your pic????

Do you have an identity crisis or something.

I've been around, probably more than you ever will be and I know a cess pool when I see one and yes Detroit for the most part is a cess pool.
 mysterious5
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/10/2006 12:33:28 PM
^^^meant to say your profile name gives the impression your Canadian and not wearring a Canadian shirt but you get my point, or do you?
 auto pro 37
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/10/2006 8:33:09 PM
Yes, sleep't there a couple nights!

Lived to tell about it!

Had a bussiness coffence and stay there..Walk the streets with a group though ..never do it alone..Have done it other major citys like though..I lll walk alone..TO Hamilton,Albany...ya,your right Detroit is pretty scary looking even in your car..

sol79
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/18/2009 7:56:42 PM
depends on the race. I'm black and I fear roseville,eastpointe,harper woods, and warren more then detroit. WHite ppl seem racists out there then in detroit. Whole world is crazy i mean the guy that chopped up his wife in MAcomb that's sick.
 Vancer
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/18/2009 8:06:04 PM
I don't live in Detroit, but an acquaintance said they had passed through, and stopped to get gas.
After pumping gas he went up to the kiosk and the guy was peacefully asleep.
He knocked on the glass and the guy freaked out and asked 'what are you doing?!'.
He said the kiosk guy told him that he should never get out of his car in that neighbourhood at this time of night, and was sorry to be so startled, but rarely did anyone buy gas there at that time.

I thought the person telling me that story was over-exaggerating.
 sol79
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/18/2009 8:12:34 PM
Been use the gun shots. PPl in detroit r fake anyway, if u get done in by anyone it's most likely ur friends or family lol. We throw video game nights and ppl from southgate and everywhere else come not even in fear of dying. It was an arcade on 8mile (warren side) that was getting robbed but I assume that the warren cops didn't care cuz they took their sweet time coming.
 lateef7842
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 12:51:57 AM
You can always tell who the Canadians are. ...lol I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit. I've spent many a day and night in Detroit. I've also spent time in Berlin, Paris, Chicago, LA and a few other big cities. They all have crappy areas you don't want to be in. Some areas are great. Some are dangerous. Just depends on where you're at. That goes for the day as well as the night. It's all about being smart and being aware of your surroundings.

Don't believe the hype. Detroit is no worse than any other large city. There's a saying I used to hear back in the day. "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch." If all you can do is make generalizations, then maybe you should stay on your side of the border, eh?

Lateef
 lookinatit
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/21/2009 9:39:34 AM
I've never been to Detroit, but I spent a year in Mobile one night. Never again.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 9:40:47 AM
I've driven through Baltimore at night. That was pretty scary.
 Arpeggia
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/21/2009 10:52:26 AM
Living in Ontario and returning home to Toledo, Ohio a number of times by myself I have traveled the short distance between the Windsor-Detroit bridge and the I75 entrance ramp many times alone. I had 2 times in the past 15 yrs of traveling that I needed assistance in that area and have had a random stranger dig out my car when I was stuck at a stoplight and another time I had a flat tire and my cell phone had stopped working at the border. One person stopped to change my tire for me and a couple walking up to their apartment stopped to see if I was ok and offered a phone. One police officer pulled up behind my car and let the stranger finish changing my tire after advising me that AAA was running slow in the area. Of course you always get nervous when dealing with strangers but it was all good.

Arp
 yna6
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/21/2009 11:07:30 AM
I've spent a few nights in Canadian cities...but never in the States...haven't got that far yet in my travels!
Even the worst parts of any Canadian city has its' share of criminals there. Easy pickings for them.
When living in a bad part of T.O., I used to walk at night...always got approached by drug dealers. A friendly bunch...their "job" depends on their people skills. Friendly, outgoing, not wanting to cause trouble. If they are sitting in a jail cell, they aren't out making money, so they kept a low profile. Same with the hookers...never run into too many of them. Saw the odd loud , obnoxious one, but they usually got their azzes busted real quick.
Ottawa was a place I ran into gangs. Usually violent, but non-lethal. Cowards mostly....they rarely tried to take on a group...just single people alone in secluded areas. Hold-ups were a daily thing...still are. Get a gun in your face, just push it aside and tell the guy to "Stop waving that thing around before you hurt someone!" (Yep...that really happened....) Hand the guy the cash out of the register, and watch him run.
I've seen houses for sale in Detroit...first time I saw a regular house with steel shutters (closed) on windows. Pricing is cheap on houses there. Dunno why the neighbours don't gang up on the gangs and kick them out of the areas though....we don't put up with that kind of crap in rural areas here. We boot the gangs out in no uncertain terms. The cops may not be able to do anything...but the residents sure as heck can!
 Arpeggia
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/21/2009 11:19:01 AM
lol Yna, that is so true about what the neighbors can do. Next to a house I had in Toledo at one point, there was a rental home. Just our luck to have drug dealers move in. We called the police all the time, made big to do's about all the neighbors coming out with cameras to photograph cars and people and made it a very low profit home for the dealers. They left their lease early.. wonder why?
Unless you can get an organized effort to show the gangs you have the numbers to run them out your not going to get far in cleaning up an area. A lot of people will not participate because of fear of retaliation.

Arp
 burke001
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 2:07:27 PM
I am a large individual, and generally have nothing to fear. I spent one night in Detroit, and I must say it was one of the most frightening experiences of my life. There were areas that I had to drive through, where I thought I was going to get shot for many reasons: being there, driving a Japanese car, cause they didn't like my haircut, etc. Seriously, Detroit is horrible, and I hope to never go back, which is a problem, because my friend works there for GM.
 sol79
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/21/2009 5:24:30 PM
The thing is ppl assume detroit is filled with blk ppl. But if yall all scared of detroit then just stay the **** out. I guess the suburbs of detroit r so much better. U can always find something 2 do out there lmao
 Orion67
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/21/2009 5:55:16 PM
I went to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn and missed an exit to head back to Ohio. I got lost in Detroit and made sure that my car doors were all locked. I was happy to get away from there. I got lost in the east side of Cleveland once also. Some cities have some scary places. JMHO.
 sol79
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/21/2009 6:33:53 PM
well no need to even comment cuz u ppl will assume what u wanna assume. Guess that means detroit is that deal.
 misscrissee
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/21/2009 8:31:26 PM
You could be in Detroit or Delaware for cripes sake - if you walk around with your tail between your legs, someone is going to attack you...
 867love
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/21/2009 10:12:49 PM
i'm reminded of that comedy "kentucky fried movie" where a spy is caught and questioned in a phony bruce lee movie:

"you dont scare me (spit) you dirty son of a b!tch, you can torture me all you want, i wont talk"

"take him to Detroit"

"noooooooooo, noooooooooo, noooooooo (crying like a baby)
 persia_
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/24/2009 2:08:21 AM
oh hell nah lol yea I wont be going there for a while.. it's pretty bad out here in cali, especially northern cali, but ive never seen a "avoid stopping sign"..ive had many "adventures" out here though... seen robbiers, shootings, had a gun pulled on me, my cars been shot.. whew!! it is truly the wild, wild west.. thats why im heading to the oc lol
 MysticRose3
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/24/2009 5:15:30 PM
If you want a really scary day in Detroit, wander into City Hall and view the politicians. Seriously, I’ve lived in Detroit before and you have your good areas and your bad areas. The ‘scariest’ thing I ever had happen living down there was a fire truck pulled up one night and asked if our house was on fire. The downtown area has come a long way but it's still a PIA to drive with all the one way streets.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Ever spend a night in Detroit?