Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Men who ride Harleys      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scottymac
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Men who ride HarleysPage 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Ugh... this subject makes me wanna gag honestly. I ride and have been doing so for over 16 years now. I have pretty much ridden anything you can think of with two wheels, Harley included. I currently ride a big fast sportbike that will top out around 190mph. HOWEVER, I get women like this who find out I ride and the first thing out of their mouth is "Oh, do you ride a Harley!?!" ME: "Uh, no. I ride a sportbike." THEM: "Oh...." Me thinking to myself: "Whatever..."

I've been around bikers for years... all types. I have found that there's basically two types of bikers: hardcore scooter trash who's lives revolve around their bike and then you have the "poseurs" who wear a tie all week and a squeaky new leather jacket on the weekends. The one thing most of them have in common is they are "sheeple" who buy in to that Harley "mystique"... the legend if you will. HD marketing loves these people because they would buy a pile of bovine fecal matter as long as it had "officially licensed by Harley Davidson" stamped on it. There are a very few of us within the biker community who actually don't give a shit what you ride. We love our bikes for the freedom and the fun it affords us. Our lives don't revolve around it. We don't "Live to ride and ride to live". It's simply another aspect of our lives, not our complete life. Does that make us any less of a man? Pfffft... not in my humble opinion.

Anyway, go ahead and chase that Harley man. You got about a 20% chance of him actually being someone worth a shit. Other than that, you better get used to him drinking regularly and ogling every saggy tit that gets flashed at a bike rally. Oh yeah, BTW... did I tell you I'm divorced because of this kind of shit? No, I didn't do this crap. Rather my ex-wife wound up cheating with someone from my riding club. Yeah, Harley guys are great. I'm still a biker, but I pretty much hate bikers as a whole now.

Cheers!
 Lady Laugh
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 2/20/2006 9:32:22 PM
Destryridesagain....I also ride a rice burner and I agree with what you say...it doesn't matter what you,just as long as you enjoy the ride.
 rings
Msg: 21
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 2/21/2006 2:17:10 AM
riding my bike takes me to a place in my mind, i cant get to any other way.it's a lifestyle i have loved & lived all my life.......................... BIKER BORN...... AND BIKER BRED..... AND WHEN I DIE...... I'LL BE BIKER DEAD......................
 GrayBison
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 3/4/2006 6:37:58 AM
I think there is a difference between those who ride Harleys and rice burners, even if the foreign bikes are large. Like the difference between black leather and goretex rainsuits (with reflector strips). Normally most Gold Wing riders are into lattes and California cuisine, but the SoftTail rider enjoys knocking back a beer and dancing in a roadhouse til he/she sweats. Those ladies in the latter catagory should meet up with me in Sturgis this year.

Gray near Seattle
 whitepine
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 12/15/2006 1:56:38 PM
Why is it when a Harley Davidson is mentioned some have to jump in and start bashing the bike and calling the riders all sorts of names? It's usually the Metric riding crowd or guys who don't have the stones or disposition to ride one. Harleys are NOT for everyone, you either are or are not Harley material. It may come as a suprise to those folks that not all Harley riders are wealthy posers or "scooter trash". Maybe were just normal people that just like the bike, flaws and all, and believe in buying an American made bike that will be around long after the cheap disposable Metric bikes are piled on the scrap heap? Truth hurts..get over it.

Now, a lady on a Harley is smokin..
 stevelfun
Msg: 29
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 12/15/2006 6:12:02 PM
RE: bad @ss....

I don't own a Harley - don't like them - the looks are boring - overpriced - for what you pay -you don't get enough bike. Besides - EVERYONE has one.

Nor, am I a bad @ss (unless you get me po'd).

I ride a nice bike that Harley owners all look at and comment on. I can ride with the best of them. Enjoy riding as much as any one.

I make a good living doin' computer network work. Yes - I have a brain, a good paying job, no tat's, clean clothes, all my own teeth (for now), don't smell bad, like to wear nice colognes that you likely never heard of, etc...

Not everyone is a the stereotypical 'bad @ss biker' dude.

Too, I am not the only one out there either.

Prejudging and stereotyping are lame.
 nightfly
Msg: 32
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 12/15/2006 7:33:41 PM
Whitepine: the reason people bash harley riders so much is because the vast majority of them today are just posers, who like to ride down the road at a legal pace, wearing a tiny black helmet with a pair of ray ban sunglasses so they can look like James Dean on a bike. They buy the black leather jacket when kevlar would be a much better choice. Engineer boots when custom racing leather would also be a much better choice. They think a 'hardtail' is a better bike because it 'looks cool', and would love to own one so they can look like Peter Fonda in Easy Rider. They don't know what the primary drive is and most don't know that their bikes use belts, not chains. They don't even have a clue how to fix what they ride. They think Harleys are the best bike out there, mechanically. Just plain ignorant about bikes. They want the 'tough guy' image, so they buy a Harley. They think Harleys are 'made in America bikes'. Many of the parts are made overseas, but few of today's Harley riders even know that. They don't ride in the rain, don't ride in the dark, don't work on their bikes, and their bikes are pristine because they spend most of the time parked in a garage. The women who are attracted to Harley riders are after the guys who they presume are tough, alpha males. Nothing could be further from the truth. The posers are fakes. Most of the true bikers from gangs are out of shape heavy drinkers or into drugs. There are some real toughs, but they are the minority. Most are just bullies that will fold quickly. You want a real tough guy, find a marine. You want the image, just hang out at a biker bar, dress revealingly, and drink heavy. You'll have all the Harley guys you want.
 bill4760
Msg: 35
view profile
History
What about Men who ride Goldwings?
Posted: 12/16/2006 12:02:53 PM
what's wrong with Hondas?
I like a bike that's comfortable and quiet, and I can hear my passenger.
 baycitymom
Msg: 43
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 2/14/2007 12:19:10 PM
I love a man that knows how to ride : ) It doesn't have to be Harley's though. I love the sound that a motorcycle makes, everytime I hear one I get excited : ) I can't wait for spring to get here. I have actually been thinking about getting my own motorcycle. My aunt teaches a cycle safety class....maybe I will get up the nerve to do it this year! You only live once!
 fish420420
Msg: 46
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 11:30:00 AM
I agree with two wheels about the "costume" and the protection it affords one in the event of laying one down or worse yet a crash. Sounds like he has had a few experiances like myself. As for the "Harley Davidson" logo and hype, well thats what it is..hype. I cannot see why a woman would turn down a person because they didnt ride. Thats a very shallow and low selfesteem person. Its as if they need the "harley" to validate thier reason for living. I have riden almost every bike there is and I have to say they all have good and bad points. I have never been broke down on the side of the road on a rice burner! I have had Victory's and "stuffy" bmw's lol. The woman that said that has never riden any distance or she would appreciate a smooth even power band with no jerking or hesitation. Comfort is a big seller to any seasoned rider,yea you can spend 20 grand and have a harley, but your upkeep, and buying all the little chrome pieces will have you in tears!
Bottom line,If you have the money and a need to validate your being to others,buy yourself a harley. If you truley just want to get in the wind....get something that wont break the bank and you will have cash to do other things as well as ride.
 Sindee
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 11:39:07 AM
Give me a rugged man, a harley, and the open road and I am a happy lady
 fish420420
Msg: 48
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 11:58:35 AM
I guess I should also say that I started riding when I was 9 years old on a 3 and a half hp mini bike,(almost as much power as a HD). I currently park my butt on a Victory Vegas with a 100 cubic inch motor. If you havent riden a Victory, you should go to a dealer and take a test ride. The power is awsome and the soothness of a fuel injected 100 cubic inch V twin is very pleasing to the bones of this old guy. I know your thinking it's not fast. well its not a sport bike (crotch rocket)but I havent met a "Harley" That I couldnt out run, stoplight to stoplight or 1/4 mile.
 fish420420
Msg: 49
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 12:29:10 PM
firefighter I bet your right!!! lol
 ssweet2293
Msg: 52
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 1:05:21 PM
Hey I am now seeing a man that rides and he is not a bad boy. In fact he is more tame than me. I have always been attracted to men who ride and maybe cause I was brought up around them. If that is your want and desire then so be it. Nothing wrong with that.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 53
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 1:40:06 PM
I love riding motorcycles...I always had one of my own.
I never had a harley though...Ive never been a fan. (is that unamerican?)
I know harley's have gotten better over the years...but I can remember riding to races and ~~~waving~~~ to the harley riders on the side of the road...broken down...leaking oil...
Motorcycles are a lifestyle...and you don't need a harley...or a motorcycle to be cool.
 fish420420
Msg: 54
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 1:54:03 PM
A woman that knows what she's talking about! No browneyes its not "unamerican" its very american! Its called freedom of choice and I like you choose not to be a follower.
 Dr.Strange
Msg: 55
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 2:17:16 PM
There is just something about a man who rides a Harley. A certain sex appeal that I can't see in men who don't ride. I've passed up some quality men because they didn't ride.

it sounds so good on paper don't it.... but believe me a real Biker or MAN that rides a Harley is no different from a Guy that doesn't, they all get up in the morning and scratch their bawls the same way. the catchy "bad boy" stereotype stamp is over done.truth be known most MEN that ride Harley's rather ride alone with no passenger...as Miss13 put it...it's about preference the bike does not make the Man.
 fish420420
Msg: 57
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 3:55:27 PM
Yea that was a good answer, so now we all think you know something we dont? lol get over yourself. Its no mystery.
 fish420420
Msg: 64
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 7:29:59 PM
I want to go on the boat! I like bikes, but I LOVE boats!
 pamsdolls
Msg: 65
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/5/2007 7:49:31 PM
Well since I work for Dixie Biker magazine I gotta throw my 2 cents in. I personally traded my four legged horse for an iron one. I think whether its a man or a woman the freedom you feel riding in the wind is what its all about. Of course all the hype on motorcycles having to be Harleys and the advertising being geared to the older richer men puts more Harleys on the road. My preference is Harley cuz that is all I have ridden - except once on a sport bike and I won't go back to that. But bottom line it doesn't matter whether its a Harley or not as long has it only has 2 wheels!!! Oh and by the way us ladies are learning that we don't have to ride on the back anymore!!! I rode for 14 years on the back - til the divorce - then I went out and got my own. But I still like riding on the back - sorta hard to take pics for the magazine with your hands on the handlebars! Yes there is the bad boy view to Harley riders but as our society progresses there less and less of them and more and more of the RUBS - but that is ok as long as they are riding! We do need to make society notice us when we are on our rides though!!!!! Please look out for us. I have lost several good friends already this year - not due to their riding but do to people not seeing them!!!!!
 DestinyRules
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/9/2007 4:57:41 PM
...I get enough satisfaction & EXCERCISE on my Bridgestone 10 speed & I don't wake up the neighborhhod....javascript:smilie('')
javascript:smilie('')

...They seem to be a mid-life crisis/ego cure to many people (not all).
 billflstc
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/14/2007 10:11:04 PM
How can some-one from the factory state not like Harleys. That is a hanging offense isn't it?
 turboboy55
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/22/2007 5:46:23 PM
it's only a machine. i've been on 2 wheels for most of my life. i like to ride, doesn't make any different from someone who don't. it's a choice, like i drive a chevy, you drive a dodge, big deal! you're still the same person.
 ladyc4
Msg: 104
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/23/2007 8:41:52 AM
Bikers is good people.
Harleys, "metrics"- I have a good friend who's into the classic Brit bikes...doen't matter.
I personally would not run out and spend hard earned cash to buy one, haven't ridden in years( a couple of close calls and losing a couple of dear friends to bike crashes)
But I salute the true bikers, and the midlife crisis guys who BECOME true bikers!
Cindy O
 duckling
Msg: 106
Men who ride Harleys
Posted: 4/23/2007 9:21:25 AM
I agree that customizing your ride is part of what makes it your ride, but it's like the "American Iron vs. Metric" thing. As long as you're doing what you love, who cares if it's a rice rocket, a stock Harley or a custom?

I'm heart-broke over the "women that prefer riding fender" post. I've always believed that if a woman chooses to sit on the bare fender of my bike, instead of the p-pad on a friend's (or the longe chair on a bagger), she must be "in lust with me". You mean it isn't me causing those "good vibrations"?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Men who ride Harleys