Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > turtle soup      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 azblueskies57
Msg: 2
turtle soupPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Louisiana is the only place around to eat anything turtle. The only state that doesn't protect this species. However, there have been mock soup recipes for many years. Or is that the shirt? I am confused.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 4
turtle soup
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:51:18 AM
What kind of turtle was that and was it legal? If it was snapping turtle your friends were poachers. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
 choklitkiss
Msg: 5
turtle soup
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:24:31 AM
Enjoyed some fabulous turtle soup in New Orleans last year (way before the hurricane). Not sure where one could buy a real turtle to prepare or the turtle meat anywhere else, though. That's why mock turtle soup is everywhere but Louisiana, I guess. I'll keep an eye on this thread for a recipe though!
 smith2267
Msg: 6
turtle soup
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:34:32 AM
Turtle--the perfect soup...Comes in it's own bowl!
Clearly, god intended us to turn this animal into soup!!
 smith2267
Msg: 7
turtle soup
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:44:54 AM
AZ, why doesn't anyone farm them? Do they not do well in captivity?
 azblueskies57
Msg: 8
turtle soup
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:58:09 AM
All I know is they are protected. Alligator snapping turtles at least. A smaller snapping turtle is out there and maybe it isn't but I know the big one is. Farm them so a couple hundred people can eat them>I doubt there would be money in it. I am waiting for Lil to state what turtle it was and how it was acquired. I am hoping I am wrong about poaching.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 10
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 6:28:59 AM
You don't offend simply because anyone is a turtle fan. You offend because the good 'ole boys where you live feel it's okay to eat a protected species. I am so not kidding I personally would have turned the hillbillies in! But you ate it and loved it. Good for you, I guess. I have too much respect for the law of endangered species more than you or your friends.

Big Game hunters? Poachers is what they are. I bet they hunt all year without a license. I hate people like that. I lived for 19 years in colorado where everyone hunts and poaching is rare. You lost me forever Lil with your casual attitude about this.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 12
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:14:52 AM
I mentioned I lived in a hunting state and have ate nearly every available legally obtained game, but I have never considered poaching or eating it. And never will. Avid animal lovers don't eat protected species. I have asked for this thread to be deleted so your offense will be forgotten. How could you feign innocence here about this? Have you ever ate it before? Or at a restaurant? Oh well...Your friends Billy Bob and Zeke will continue to be an idiots.

Lil, you ate it and had no problem whatsoever, UNTIL you came here. Why? Why would you care what strangers think?
 Mzzzy
Msg: 14
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 8:21:40 AM
Turtles are not a protected species in Kentucky..and trying to make fun of us makes you look like an idiot.You need to know what you are talking about before you put your foot in your mouth and make fun of people and threaten them..thats being very rude .I read on another thread where some of you ate dogs..well whats up with that..I didn't hear you blast them Mr.AZ Blueskies..I reckon you wouldn't have problem with people eating them ,but you go all out protecting turtles...you need to get a grip.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 15
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 8:24:15 AM
If it was an alligator snapping turtle_YOU are wrong. there is only one state they aren't. So, you need to look. You simply got mad at the hillbilly comments and you know it.
 Mzzzy
Msg: 16
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 8:31:43 AM
I am gonna tell you something mister..you just seem to be the kind of person who has to be right...We abide by the law..get only what is allowed..and by the way...I got your Billy Bob for ya...Billy Bob this..
 azblueskies57
Msg: 17
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 8:47:30 AM
Well, I just checked with the New Mexico Center for Wildlife Law at the University of New Mexico School of Law, feel free to check with them yourselves, and they said, No, Kentucky does protect the alligator snapping turtle and the Louisiana is even about to change their law soon also so there will be NO place left in the US where this species in not protected.

I will give anyone the phone number and the name of the attorney I spoke to, Sue George. So, It is not season on alligator snapping turtle in KY and never will be.

So Billy Bob was wrong. I do not have to be right, just am here. have a lovely day in KY!

I just called the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and they said under no circumstances will the Alligator Snapping Turtle be harvested, but you can take the common snapping turtle or the soft shelled with a hunting or fishing license. But with no license they are again poachers. Maybe this is the one they got but you already said Billy Bob probably did so illegally, your words.
 Mzzzy
Msg: 18
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:39:52 AM
Mr.AZ...that breed of turtle is not know in this area...and I didn't say anything about doing anything against the law...I just hate when people make fun of people from different areas of the United States of America..you go through alot of trouble to prove a point..like I said..you just have to be right...don't ya?
 smith2267
Msg: 19
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:40:04 AM
AZ is correct.
www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/001/058.htm states the seasons and methods allowed for collecting turtles. It clearly excludes alligator snapping turtles.

"Section 1. Definitions. "Turtle" means a:

(1) Snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina), except the alligator snapping turtle (Macroclemys temminckii);"

So your friends may not have knowingly been poaching, but they were nonetheless, if they were catching alligator snapping turtles.

AZ's hillbilly comment may have been inflammatory and unnecessary, but the thrust of his statement--that this is poaching--is correct.
 smith2267
Msg: 20
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:42:43 AM
>>Mr.AZ...that breed of turtle is not know in this area...

"The alligator snapping turtle is the world's largest freshwater turtle; generally speaking, the turtle's carapace can reach 26 inches in length, and the animal can weigh up to 176 pounds. The alligator snapping turtle lives in the rivers and lakes of 15 Midwestern and Southern states (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, "

-- www.hsus.org/wildlife/wildlife_news/ slow_and_steady_wins_race.html
 Mzzzy
Msg: 21
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:53:21 AM
Well mister me and my family have"noodled"for years and have never came across this breed of turtle...we are law abiding ..catch and release fishermen...never pollute or throw our trash around..are careful with our campfires.I do know my animals.You can argue till you are blue in the face...men think they know it all anyway...and you don't live in Kentucky...I do!
 smith2267
Msg: 22
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:57:44 AM
I live pretty close to KY...
and I have no reason to think you aren't law abiding.
But are you sure you've never seen one? Here is a pic:
http://reptile.new21.org/dk/turtle/alligator-snapping-turtle.jpg

I guess if they were commonly seen, they wouldn't be protected.
 Mzzzy
Msg: 23
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:00:10 AM
Mister..believe me..if I saw a 176lb. turtle I would remember it!
 smith2267
Msg: 24
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:03:28 AM
That's "up to 176". Humans can weigh up to 500 lbs, but most of us don't :)!
Did you look at the pic? They are weird looking critters.

I'm not trying to argue, I just thought--as a law abiding citizen--you might want to be able to recognize one if you ever accidentally do catch one.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 25
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:05:32 AM
The only point that can still be made is the poaching one. I do not know what turtle she ate, but she clearly stated they were poachers. Hunting w/o a license is poaching, simply.

You are law abiding, good. But these men clearly weren't. I am sorry for the Billy Bob comment , but I hate poaching. Always will.

Oh, and here is a recipe from Zatarains:

Turtle Soup

1 1/2 sticks Butter
2/3 cup Flour
8 oz. Ham, 1/4'' diced
1 cup Onion, chopped fine
1/4 cup Celery, chopped fine
3/4 cup Bell pepper, chopped fine
3 large cloves Garlic, minced
3 Medium tomatoes, chopped coarsely
1 1/2 -2 lbs Turtle meat, chopped
2 Tbsp Zatarain's Creole Seasoning
3 Bay leaves
1/2 tsp Thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Clove
2 1/2 cups Beef stock
2 1/2 cups Water
1 tsp Worcestershire
1/2 Lemon, sliced
4 Tbsp Parsley, fresh
3 Boiled eggs, grated
4 Tbsp sherry
Melt butter in a large saucepan and add flour to make a medium brown roux. Add the chopped ham and vegetables (celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and tomatoes). Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes.

In a heavy skillet add 1/4 cup vegetable oil, heat, and add turtle meat, brown on all sides and cook for 10 minutes.

To the roux and vegetable mixture add the turtle meat and sauce, beef stock, water, and spices. Cook covered over low heat for 2 hours.

Thirty minutes prior to serving add Worcestershire sauce, lemon, and sherry. Parsley and grated eggs should be added 10-15 minutes before serving. Allow to rest for 15 minutes, and then serve. This allows time for all spices to blend thoroughly.

Serve with extra sherry if desired.

You already know about cleaning them.
 smith2267
Msg: 26
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:07:57 AM
So, AZ, can decent turtle soup be made out of other species?
 azblueskies57
Msg: 27
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:11:01 AM
You crack me up. you are asking me? I did have an opportunity to eat and cook sea turtle in Hawaii, a native hawaiian brought to me. They are the only ones who are allowed to take the sea turtle. They really crack down on that in Hawaii. But this was don Ho's Brother, Coco and he was allowed to eat the, he lived across the street from me.

And I thought the turtle got to 300 pounds!
 smith2267
Msg: 28
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:39:46 AM
Yeah, I'm asking you. You were a professional chef!
 azblueskies57
Msg: 30
turtle soup
Posted: 2/22/2006 2:45:45 PM
Well, I agree longte. In Hawaii, there are so few Hawaiians that it isn't really an issue. I wish I could say I knew how they harvested it. At some point, for the animal, this will probably have to stop. Even the tribes do not wish for extinction, I hope.
 Mzzzy
Msg: 33
turtle soup
Posted: 2/23/2006 12:53:55 AM
I do..no more Billy Bob crap
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > turtle soup