Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Potatoe soup recipe please?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Potatoe soup recipe please?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
here's one gran used to make and my rugrats enjoy

2 tbsp. butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 potatoes, peeled & diced
2 cups chicken stock or water
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper, or to taste
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

Melt butter in Dutch oven; add onion and garlic; cook, without browing, for 3-4 minutes. Add potatoes, chicken stock (or water), thyme and pepper; bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Puree 1/2 of the soup mixure and return to pot. Add milk; heat thoroughly and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with parsley.

Variation: Just before serving, stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated) and gently cook just until cheese has melted.
 Nghtshft
Msg: 3
Potatoe soup recipe please?
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:19:16 AM
Here is the Hard Rock Cafe's recipe for baked potato soup....

Hard Rock Cafe Baked Potato Soup

8 Bacon slices - fried & crumbled
1 cup Yellow onions - diced
2/3 cups Flour
6 cups Chicken stock - hot
4 cups Potatoes - baked, diced & Peeled
2 cups Heavy cream
¼ cup Parsley - chopped
1½ tsp Granulated garlic
1½ tsp Salt
1½ tsp Red pepper sauce
1½ tsp Coarse black pepper
1 cup Cheddar cheese - grated
¼ cup Green onions - diced

Chop bacon; reserve. Cook onions in remaining drippings
over medium high heat until transparent, about 3 minutes.
Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps; cook for 3-5 minutes,
until mixture just begins to turn golden. Add chicken stock
grdually, whisking to prevent lumps until liquid thickens.
Reduce heat to simmer and add potatoes, cream, chopped bacon,
parsley, garlic, basil, salt, pepper sauce and plack pepper.
Simmer for 10 minutes; do not allow to boil. Add grated cheese
and green onions, heat until cheese melts smoothly. Garnish
each serving as desired with chopped bacon, grated cheese and
chopped parsley.

Makes 8 Servings.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:46:45 AM
I like to put cheddar cheese and serve with crumbled bacon.
 smith2267
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:55:35 AM
I don't like to put butter in my potato soup. It separates, rises to the top, and looks gross.
 smith2267
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:18:50 AM
When I tried butter, it was in a crockpot recipe, and I had a big puddle of it on top :P
 smith2267
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:26:27 AM
Here's what I do (I've posted it b4, but not lately):

about 4 cans chicken broth I like low fat--you will be adding cream later!
a few potatoes cut up, I like to leave the skin on
a sprinkle of thyme
garlic to taste
a medium onion, chopped
a bit of sage
1/2 lb cheddar cheese
8 oz cream
enough corn starch to thicken
fresh ground pepper

Cook everything but cream, cheese, and corn starch in a crockpot until potatoes are done.
Mix the cream and CS.
Add cream/CS and cheese and heat thru.

PS you can add bacon or ham, too.
I've also added basil sometimes.
 smith2267
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:28:44 AM
I think corn starch is a better thickening agent than flour.
You use less, so it dilutes the flavor less.
 smith2267
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:32:50 AM
AZ, when do you add the bacon? At the end? When I put it in early, it gets soggy.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/21/2006 12:09:45 PM
I can live w/o the bacon fat. I just crumble them on top when I serve. And I put none inside in case I am serving people who can't eat that.
 azblueskies57
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/21/2006 12:56:08 PM
I don't use corn starch, there is enough thickening agent in it with potatoes, but why ever add a can of soup for this?
 smith2267
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/21/2006 5:56:32 PM
^^ Can you do the same with corn? Does it have to be creamed corn? Do you need to add anything else?
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:53:17 PM
Smith ... here's a couple of corn soup recipes for you.

Corn soup with roasted poblano chilis

6 ears corn
1/4 cup butter
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups water
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 roasted poblano chilis, peeled and minced

With sharp knife, remove corn kernels from cobs. Melt butter in heavy-bottomed pot. Add corn and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss corn in butter over medium heat. After a few minutes, add water and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally so corn does not stick to bottom. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour into blender and blend until smooth. Press through medium-fine sieve to smooth texture. Add cream to correct consistency. Adjust seasonings to taste. Heat until just hot. Garnish with poblano chilis.

Note: "There's an incredible smoky taste in this soup from the roasted poblano chilis. It comes from Alice Waters' "Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook" (Random House: 1982), and it was one of the favorites with the tasters in The Times Test Kitchen". From article "Corn, The American Grain," Los Angeles Times, Food Section, July 1, 1993.

Corn soup with red pepper swirl
"Straight From The Cob" Recipe by Canadian Living Test Kitchen

1 tbsp. butter
2 onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. dried sage, crumbled
4 cups corn kernels
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 sweet red pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded
2 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. jalapeno pepper, minced OR pinch cayenne
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, or to taste

In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, garlic and sage, covered and stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in corn; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove 1 cup; set aside. Stir in flour to coat vegetables; cook for 1 minute. Pour in stock and bring to boil, stirring frequently; reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened. In food processor or blender, pure soup, in batches if necessary; returning to saucepan. Stir in reserved corn mixture, milk and salt; heat through but do not boil.

Red Pepper Sauce: Meanwhile, in blender, pure red pepper, milk, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Using spoon, attractively swirl about 2 tbsp. into each soup bowlful.

Roasted Peppers: To roast sweet red peppers, grill or broil over medium-high heat, turning often, until peppers are puffed and charred all over. Or roast in 375°F oven for 30 minutes or until browned. Let cool; peel and seed.
 Lonnie5954
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2007 6:44:05 AM
sorry Im just guy cooking but I use cream of mushroon some milk salt and pepper . dice potatos boil them drain the water add to the soup and have a great day. but I did love your recipes
 roxanne1652
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2008 11:14:44 PM
(Normally, I don't go here, but there is that "living in glass houses; not throwing stones" thing AND . . .

"accompanied with AND 's'"??? "I can't believe that no one SAY that."???

PULEEZE!!)

But, on to the subject at hand . . . .

I got this idea from Allrecipes, but winged it because I had some leftover scalloped potatoEs and it sounded like a good idea.

First, I make my scalloped potatoEs with thinly sliced potatoEs, thinly sliced onion, diced peppers, ham and cream of mushroom soup (the recipe for the mushroom soup is msg. #9 on the "Any good soup recipes?" thread. I cannot rave enough about that recipe; I make it all the time and freeze it and use it in any recipe that calls for cream of mushroom soup. Normally, I use portabella mushrooms.).

Because I live alone, I cook small and only had one serving of scalloped potatoEs left, so I used all of the elements in the soup (I boiled another potato in a small amount of water, added some onion, pepper (mashed it up with a potato masher), ham and another container of mushroom soup) and threw in the leftover scalloped potatoEs and thinned it all out with half-and-half.

It totally rocked.

(Please forgive any typoEs--oops!!)
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Potatoe soup recipe please?