Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Do you set the example, or do you make excuses?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wanderbaby
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Do you set the example, or do you make excuses?Page 1 of 1    
I tried it when I was a teenager but I was health-conscience over it, I rarely cussed at that, and saw no need to drink. My mom's ex use to smoke, so I gave it a shot. I didn't like the aftertaste or the smell. so I pretty much didn't pick up the habit. My mom had to fight a lot to finally get her ex to quit, then they broke up and she remarried and my stepdad smokes, and she doesn't put much of a fight, go figure. There was a time he smoked inside, so gross! til my sister and her family moved in, then he smoked outside.

Since I rarely drank, smoke, cuss, I'll just let my daughter know the consequences of either, and why would you need to do those vises and why you shouldn't. As for cussing, for some reason when I was young, I just found cussing to be all negative and full of insults so I chose not to cuss.

Thanks for bring up th is post, I was just thinking about it.
 4408joseph
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Do you set the example, or do you make excuses?
Posted: 2/14/2008 3:57:07 AM
Plain and simple
Do as I say, not as I do
does not work anywhere as easy as..
Monkey see ,Monkey do

If we like to admit it or not, We as parents are the biggest influence in our child's life, Period!
 jadegreen
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Do you set the example, or do you make excuses?
Posted: 2/14/2008 6:18:03 PM
My ex husband had some alcoholism problems in his life. I did not recognize that he had a problem b/c my parents did not drink. I think he was never taught to properly solve problems in his life and drinking seemed to temporarily make them go away or make him feel better for the moment. He was also lost in his youth not having proper guidance. His uncle was an alcoholic and was the only father figure he had. So in his world it was "okay" to consume large quantities of alcohol. There are many factors that contribute to substance or alcohol abuse. If you lead by example you are at least "playing it safe". Also teaching discipline in the proper way teaches the setting of limits.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Do you set the example, or do you make excuses?