Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What professions are a turn off?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LMAO
Msg: 1
What professions are a turn off?Page 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
What are turn offs?

stripers,
nurses'
doctors
dentists
factory labour
waitreses
sales people

just a few

and curious if that determines in what you see in a person

myself,,,,have a hard time with sales people,,they alwasy seem to be BS'n customers,,so why not you

and an actor,,if they are good,,how would you ever know if they are acting or being themselves?
 gr8_honest_gal
Msg: 2
What professions are a turn off?
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:39:29 PM
Can I turn this around a little bit?

I have this issue of what to tell people. First of all I'm very educated however I've chose a different route to make more money. It just seems as if people look down on ya.. I do have my Early Childhood Education Diploma as well as Child and Youth Worker Diploma, but I'm currently working in a factory (yes a monkey on a line) Waste of education, no not really, I have stuff to fall back on.. I'd rather be able to pay my bills, than say yeah I'm a teacher and be in debt.. call me crazy.

Does a job really matter? As long as you don't have to support that person, don't rule them out. I've dated a laywer before and he always had an issue with me working in a factory.. I guess to each their own right? Everyone has preferences I guess we all loose out.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:45:24 PM
mortician
lawyers
musicians

no appeal and a turn off for me
 LMAO
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:49:55 PM
Is what I mean,,,,some have a problem with what avenue we have chossen,,but I wondered why?,,and for what reasons

Sometimes we have to do what we need to do to pay the bills

I stated my reasons and why

everyone is different,,

such as some may not want to date a nurse,,because they may be afraid of needles,,or hell if the chick or guy,,wants to give them an ennima,,,,,who knows,,everyone has fears

Just for myself I woudl be more leery of salespeople and actors,,for reasons as stated before
 sweettalkingwoman
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:50:00 PM
I would never define who a person is by the job that they do. Sure, they may be exceptions to the rule. I doubt a good catholic would date an abortion doctor. But, if the person is doing an honest days work for an honest days wage, then I am happy.
 thai_paradise
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:50:06 PM
lawyer
sales people
pastor
policemen
financial managers
 Bramble
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2006 9:11:12 PM

I do have my Early Childhood Education Diploma as well as Child and Youth Worker Diploma, but I'm currently working in a factory (yes a monkey on a line) Waste of education, no not really, I have stuff to fall back on.. I'd rather be able to pay my bills, than say yeah I'm a teacher and be in debt.. call me crazy.

I am in the exact same boat. I have a BA in English and had nothing pan out with it - so I work in a factory too.

Liberal Arts degree for the lose.

But I'm kind of glad things turned out this way ... for reasons that would take too long to explain here.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:02:08 PM
Damn....and here I was just choosing people on their looks and personalities!
 jimi77
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:08:04 PM
bill collector... damn... she would know where i live!

stripper.. yack..

hooker..
 miss personality
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:11:42 PM
i can't say that any profession is a turn off. there are certain jobs i wouldn't like my partner to do (male stripper, hitman, etc), but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. if a person is happy in the profession they choose, then they are most likely happy with themselves.
 Sienna_leigh
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:15:09 PM
Interesting, lmao, that you don't list your occupation in your profile.

Now I guess I'm biased but what do you have against nurses? - so if you got sick and went into the hospital you would refuse to let them care for you? And what's wrong with factory workers - most things we buy were made in factories. And you don't like doctors or dentists - who do you go to when you're sick or have dental problems? I'd be curious to know why you are turned off by people in these professions.

by the way, what are "stripers"? Are they the guys that paint the lines on the highway? :-)
 thai_paradise
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:19:10 PM
I think he means they turn him off as potential dates
 ~Juggernaut~
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:42:26 PM

mortician
lawyers
musicians

Musicians ?? we provide and honest service .........
 FantasyFlavor
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:52:36 PM
sanitation worker
mortician(or any job pertaining to the deceased)
salespeople

On the flip side:instant turn-on professions
stripper
musician
any man in uniform

(no certain order on either list)
 LMAO
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:13:16 PM
Interesting, lmao, that you don't list your occupation in your profile.

Now I guess I'm biased but what do you have against nurses? - so if you got sick and went into the hospital you would refuse to let them care for you? And what's wrong with factory workers - most things we buy were made in factories. And you don't like doctors or dentists - who do you go to when you're sick or have dental problems? I'd be curious to know why you are turned off by people in these professions.

by the way, what are "stripers"? Are they the guys that paint

I just asked a question and and wondered if it was concern to some people,,,
is obvious it is to some

I never stated I had anything against nurses,,myself,,or a factory worker,,or anything of a such. Just sales and actors,,,,are trained to be slick as is,,,and where is the line from life and work for them? AS for anyone????????

Stripers,,well could be anything your heart desires

as a bum on the street,,they could be worth millions,,,and YES they do exist,,,do not kid yourself,,has been proven many times over!!!!!!!

professions sometimes state a person,,,and even someties thier own personal level,

JUST wondered if that was a HUGE conern for some,,,,,SHOOT ME!!!!

please forgive typos,,,,,omg,,,because I do not feel the need to be a perfectionist either,,(I need to cut my nails as well,,haha)
 PA!GEĀ®
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:17:53 PM
great job on the quotes
 lizwhip
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:20:44 PM
I'm kind of surprised to see so many turned off by salespeople. A good salesperson usually has a great personality, and genuinely likes people. Some of my favorite people are in sales.
 all about laughs
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:23:45 PM
When someone asks me what I do for a living I tell them I sell slurpees, followed up by "want to date"... they either laugh or run... people are so stupid, it is in my profile, why not spend the time and read it... if they choose to laugh at that comment, then thats great... if they run away even better, one less matrialistic f*ck to deal with...

If someone likes there job I am never going to knock them for it... they just have to be motivated, have goals and aspirations...
 LMAO
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:30:35 PM

I'm kind of surprised to see so many turned off by salespeople. A good salesperson usually has a great personality, and genuinely likes people. Some of my favorite people are in sales.

more than lieky because thye have been screwed over by a sales person before ,,or ripped off

But you do have a good point most salespeople do have good personalties,,otherwise they would not do so well ,,would they

Thanks,,,,needed that point of view pointed out to me
 kisses2184
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:40:43 PM
I work a customer service job that requires me to make sales. I'm not an actor, I simply try to use charm to intise people to buy our product (only because I am pressured to). I work this job because i'm a student and I need something flexible that will also give me enough hours to pay my bills.
The idea that someone would avoid me because of my job is ridiculous. At least I work hard and am responsible which is far better than being lazy and unemployed.
I find this somewhat hypocritcal as you are on a dating site trying to sell yourself. You are pointing out your good qualities in hopes that someone will want you, well that's all I do at work with the products we sell. It doesn't make me any less genuine in my personal life, I don't lie to people.
 justanormalguy68
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:53:55 PM
Short of something illegal, I can't believe people would be shallow enough to exclude someone on the basis of their occupation.
 alaska2004
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/5/2006 12:01:37 AM
And what would be so wrong with a Mortician? Think of the pluses! They'd always be wanting to be doing your hair, makeup, nails, clothing, heck it would be like having your own butler or buterlet!
 oddsocks
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/5/2006 12:28:50 AM
politicians,police[but we need them badly] used car salesmen and obnoxious telemarketers

nurses are in my top 2..........wow ...uniforms

but look what they do

police in bottom 5......but hey i was a rebel and i didnt do what i should
 Le Roi
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/5/2006 12:32:50 AM
I've had a girl turn me down cause I was a soldier!! And another turn me down cause I'm a paralegal that advocates for victims' rights!!

And people ask me why I'm single?
 lady_bugg65
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/5/2006 12:34:59 AM
none....i'm usually pleasantly surprised they're employed..........
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What professions are a turn off?