Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tedsme
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
The older I get, the more of a challenge it seems to meet women.

They are either too young (under 30) or too old (over 60)

Or they just have too much baggage, or are too jaded...

Or Im not interested in them, or they are not interested in me...

So I have decided to try and meet someone on the internet, anyone have any success with this?

Ted
 Catch A Star
Msg: 2
Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)
Posted: 3/5/2006 3:44:28 PM
Oh yes, lots of success, that's why I'm still here No really, at least you can meet some nice people on line, and maybe just maybe some one special connection. It's like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play. Play on!
 cojo4
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/5/2006 4:15:26 PM
hang on ,it's going to be a ride,,,,good luck
 scarlett131
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/5/2006 4:30:21 PM
I have the same problems meeting people.. from the female side of it.. too old, too young, too much baggage, or worse, they're married and just want to get laid...
Best of luck... stay positive though, there are some really nice people out here in cyber land.. :)
 bluniagara
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2006 4:47:05 PM
Well, you are definately an attractive man with a nice smile, and there are many other women out there that I am sure agree. I dont think you will have any problems getting a date on line.
 ksue44
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:54:00 PM
Awww Ted, too bad you don't live any closer!!! Meeting someone online is only one venue of meeting someone! Think about what you enjoy doing.. If you are into art, cooking, etc. take up some classes, go to museums... I'm a travel nut, and trust me, who ever I spend the rest of my life with, he'd better have a love of travel and be willing to travel..
When you discover your passions in life and openly share those passions, it truly is amazing that someone will pick up on your passions and it will open doors to love and friendship opportunities.
 zentral
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2006 6:17:49 PM
If you're sincere, and without too many negative traits, then you should have little trouble meeting women online (of course, if you live in a town of 10,000 that's 100 miles from a big city, your search will be difficult!).

In the course of two years, I met about 50 potentially compatible women, having narrowed things down to that after emailing many hundreds (actually, most emailed me first). I dated about 10, had relationships with 4 or 5 lasting a few months to a year, and finally found the love of my life. (It's now more than 5 years that we've been together.)

The point is, if I'd gone the traditional route, I might have met 2 or 3 nice women, and it would have taken months to figure out if the potential was there. The internet is really only a tool, and is only as good as your ability to use it.
 bikesnblues
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/5/2006 6:28:32 PM
from personal experience, on-line does not work. It is too easy to misrepresent, lie, etc. If you meet a person for the first time face to face, you at least know who you are talking to. This on-line thing.... met too many liars....and at your age?, hey try finding a date when you are 11 years older! I'm beginning to think, go back to the bars.
 Catch A Star
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/5/2006 6:42:31 PM
Thank you Zentral. Beautifully said. I know I have certainly had more luck on line than I've had walking by someone on the street, make eye contact, meaningful glances then actually stopping to chat, exchanging numbers and date happily ever after.
I wish it were just that easy.
 ABGirlxo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:39:51 PM
you gotta be kidding me... both you {tedsme} and bikesnblues are very nice looking men and I don't see why you would be having a problem at least getting girls to go for coffee with you.
 AllThoseYesterdays
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/5/2006 8:00:38 PM
I think dating is challenging at any age. I have absolutely no problems getting a date. Having a relationship that lasts is quite another thing. It is actually pretty funny in a pathetic kind of way.
 belgarion
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/6/2006 2:22:13 AM

The internet is really only a tool, and is only as good as your ability to use it.

Very true indeed!! It's like any other venue you may utilize, you just have to remember it's not the only one. I've met someone online, and it's been a learning experience for the both of us. Each day seems to bring new hurdles to get over, and fears to conquer. Having not been in a serious relationship for quite some time, and being 48 myself, I'm finding that getting ones courtin feet back under me has been a challenge. All I can do is be as honest as I can, and be true to myself in the process.
 prturco
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:28:22 AM
Ok I'm new to this but I just can see this working as who would actually want to meet someone from here that could be adding fake pictures & lying through there teeth like no tommorrow. People lie in person everyday imagine what goes on here. Anyhow lets see if a few people here will be willing to meet me & change my mind in the mean time no one is gona pop out of my monitor so I'm gona have to work on my glances & miningfull eye glances see if that will beat the internet. LOL Good luck too all
 prolibertate
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:57:42 AM
Dating at any age can be challenging, but I believe it's more so the older one gets as there doesn't appear to be as many opportunities to meet new people as there were when one was young. Hence, the boom in online dating. To me, it's not much different than going on a blind date, except that you don't have the (dubious?) security of knowing that at least someone else knows this person you're meeting (dubious because after some of the blind dates people have been set up on, one wonders how well those doing the setting up actually know the people involved).

But really, how different is online dating than meeting someone new in a bar, store, cafe, etc. and then going on a date with them? Teh main difference is that you know what they look like for sure. In either case, online or not, people can and do lie about them self, but also in either case people can be honest. IMO, someone who lies on a profile will probably also lie in their personal life. Someone who's honest in their profile will be who they said they were when you meet them. And at this age, not only are we too old for games (though some of us never liked them regardless of what age we were), but we've learned a lot through time and experience and know what we want and don't want. And if we want to find that then being honest in our profile is only going to help with finding it.
 nangelsheart
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/6/2006 3:08:24 PM
I have a web cam on another free dating site and if anyone 'questions' my pictures I just
say .."Okay click on my web cam and SEE for yourself!"

I have always been thanked for being HONEST. When you lie you have to remember each one you tell to cover the previous one.

My advice? GET A WEBCAM and if the other person just CAN'T seem to find a way to get one so you can SEE them.......chances are pretty good their picture is one from YEARS ago or they posted FAKE ones. IF a person is being HONEST with you...they don't find excuses..

~BLESSINGS and PEACE~
^i^Angel^i^
 tedsme
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:58:45 AM
Thanks for all of your feed back -- especially after all the NEGATIVE replies I have gotten from the women I have tried to contact here.

They either -
Don't reply
Start off really friendly and then get a bit "psycho" with each email reply
Or they are hookers

I won't give up, I'm sure that I will find someone

Ted
 Gentle Sea Breeze
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/7/2006 12:56:26 PM
Could it be the older we get the more clear it becomes what we want in life therefore we will not settle for "less than"?

The positive in internet dating sites is that you can pick and choose, weed out undesirables to a certain degree. It does require effort in meeting to see if they actually are who they claim to be.

Let's not forget, great love requires great risk....not too many people are willing to become vulnerable and take the risk required to achieve Nirvana.

For serial daters....it's a haven of unlimited fish......enjoy
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/7/2006 2:02:20 PM
welcome to the club ted

Firmbear8
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/7/2006 5:44:05 PM
Well now Ted you have found out what it is like to be a single guy now!
Yep I too have noticed the same things you have about any women we meet.
Yep their either too young/too old or got too much left from their passed to even think of starting any thing new with someone. Yep theres thousands of women on here and yet not many our age ranges are actually looking for someone new to date !! All I have seen is a lot of ladies just interested in chatting on here . Yes it is very tough to find any lady who's ready,able and willing to start a new relationship after age 45 . Sure I have met a couple off here but they too still had isssues left from their past to deal with and so nothing ever got started other then as coffee meet friends or chat bud's online.
So yes this is only one way of meeting any one new but heck sure is difficult with women on this site . As I guess they see this as a smorgas board or way too many to choose from !! And yep alot never bother to read emails they tend to check the senders profile out and if its not smoking hot they just delete the email !! But hey thier loss is all I ever say when I get that response from someone I try to make contact with .
And yes I sure make sure their off my fav's list too !!
Well Ted just keep on pluggen there bud as maybe just maybe these women will get tired of being alone and start looking for a real live mate !
Firmbear8
 kimber55
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:55:26 PM
Oh man, do I agree!
Where are all the men? I don't do bars, I don't do games...and I have forgotten what being single is! I am new at this, and in an hour I've had two clear propositions..not good. Look, some of us are real, honest (hey, does that LOOK like doctored pic? I could have done it better!) and confused.
But hey, it's free. And beats going to the library!
 juju b
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/7/2006 9:27:42 PM
Young people flirt. Old people just complain to each other how hard it is.
 cusema
Msg: 22
Difficulty in meeting women!?!?
Posted: 3/8/2006 2:28:22 AM
For a gorgeous & available bloke such as yourself? When the ratio is 10 gals to 1 guy?Rubbish! Hey, how about that? WE should get on like a house on fire! right age, similar interests… and I LOVE Las Vegas…sooooo, how much baggage is too much (just checking compatibility…)? Anyway, promise to leave it @ home. I live 75 miles away from the nearest international airport so distance should NOT be a problem!!! How good is that! And like you, I’m determined to meet someone on this site…and I think u r the 1 (I feel a bit poetic – hope it’s ok with you)
Talk soon, C
 ashley1861
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:34:33 AM
I find it just the opposite. I did find it a bit of a challenge in the small town I lived in, but it wasn't for lack of available men; more for finding "the one".
Along the trip you will find younger women who will introduce you to their mothers and mothers who will introduce you to their daughters, so talk to everyone you meet; including on POF.
So,
Enjoy the ride
Don't make too many promises
Widen your radius
Be confident (you appear to be)
Flirt Flirt Flirt
 herekitty
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:39:02 AM
well tedsme...good luck...i know its hard meeting someone in person ...but when u meet some people on here its the same....its all a gamble...and the older i get it is harder...im wondering the same thing u are babe...lol....we should all start a club
 k.kong
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:39:34 AM
Look at it this way--if your name is not in the obits when you wake up, you've already started positive, so build on it
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating at this age seems challenging (48 years old)