Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What ever happened to committment and chivalry?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 truefiannawolf
Msg: 1
What ever happened to committment and chivalry?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
For those guys who see this, and don't fit into this category, I apologize, not only for the generality of the below statements, but also for the reputation we as men have picked up based on the guys discussed above. This post is not intended for you.

I have noticed an overwhelming number of women on this site with something in their profiles asking for a man who won't cheat, lie, play games, disrespect them, etc. Why is it guys can't figure this out on their own? I mean, seriously, if you can't be committed, respectful, honest, and caring, why do you even try to get into a relationship? Just go pick up a hooker and have your way with her, and then kick her out of the car. It'd be cheaper that way and you don't have to hurt anyone to do it.

If you are one of those guys that fits in the above descriptions, then either grow up, change your ways, get it together, or go away and stop making the rest of us look bad.

Let me tell you about a little thing called chivalry. Chivalry is basically the code of conduct that men of "QUALITY" live by. At one time, chivalry was common place among men, the basic tenets of which were simply, the golden rule: Do unto other s as you would have them do unto you. More detailed, chivalry involved treating women as if they are ladies, even if they aren't, doing kindesses unto others wihtout having to be asked to do so, and being respectful to all those around you.

A chivalrous man is many things all at once. He is honest, respectful, trustworthy, loyal, helpful, honorable, courteous, kind, faithful, dependable, and tried to set an example for other men to try and attain these qualities. I know that chivalry is hard to live up to, but I also know how good it feels to try. I know the simple pleasures of a thank you here and there and how good it feels to know I did the right thing even though someone else tried to step on me.

This could be a truly wonderful world if more men would try to live up to a slightly higher standard than they have comfortably settled for. Of course, there are also many women out there who could take a good lesson from this post as well.

All comments are welcome, and if anyone disagrees, feel free to post it.
 jumpypants
Msg: 2
What ever happened to committment and chivalry?
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:08:35 PM
So, a chivalrous man trains a woman to do his bidding?

Color me chivalrous!

Gage4fun
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:08:46 PM
Why? Simple: S*E*X -- as much as they can get, which probably ain't all that much.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:08:50 PM
What happened? A few too many women developed an alacrity for playing victim cards. A few too many fathers developed an enthusiasm for not instilling respect in their sons if anything at all.
 jerryspringer
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:11:01 PM
I agree with your post, but women just don't seem to be attracted to that type of guy for some reason, I should know, I am one of them. I would love to find that special woman to settle down with and share my life with
 commonsens
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:11:12 PM
Honor above all, and all things that it involve...but i feel darn alone thinking this way; even lot's of woman (not all of them) are not capable to see it anymore.

To quote a joke:

Chivalry is dead, woman killed it: After slaying the dragon, walked through the desert, crossed the ocean the kinght arrived to the fair lady..and she said "it's at that time you arrive?!"
 jumpypants
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:13:25 PM
Question:

Has chivalry ever existed in real life? I mean the sort written about in fiction?

Pretty sure: no.

We maybe *kinda* had it for a bit last century, but thanks to feminism, the last 30 years has all been about "woohoo, free sex! All I want!".
 Ementat
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:16:07 PM
I agree, but I think chivalry died along time ago in this modern age of immediate satisfaction. It just wasn't cost effective, or the women began mistakeing a mans chivalrousnes for weakness. And unfortunately the chivalrous things we would do like opening doors, and the like, have been turned to bad things with many negative connotations associated with them.
 jumpypants
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:19:56 PM
ementat,

I have never had a woman give me a hard time for opening a door for them. 10,000 out of 10,000 - always a smile and a thank you.

Back to the chivalry thing. Until fairly recently, marriage has always been about how much do you as a man make, and how pretty do you find her (and how broad were her hips for making kids, hopefully sons)? It was a business relationship.

It still *is* in much of the world.

Marrying for love is a recent invention. In 1300, or whenever chivalry was supposed to exist, women were basically property. Men being men, I doubt it ever existed.
 thai_paradise
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:20:56 PM
I'm dating a man who's the Captain of a fire department. He has all the traits you described.

Let me tell you about a little thing called chivalry. Chivalry is basically the code of conduct that men of "QUALITY" live by. At one time, chivalry was common place among men, the basic tenets of which were simply, the golden rule: Do unto other s as you would have them do unto you. More detailed, chivalry involved treating women as if they are ladies, even if they aren't, doing kindesses unto others wihtout having to be asked to do so, and being respectful to all those around you.

A chivalrous man is many things all at once. He is honest, respectful, trustworthy, loyal, helpful, honorable, courteous, kind, faithful, dependable, and tried to set an example for other men to try and attain these qualities. I know that chivalry is hard to live up to, but I also know how good it feels to try. I know the simple pleasures of a thank you here and there and how good it feels to know I did the right thing even though someone else tried to step on me.
 Sweet sensations
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:22:22 PM
Wow guys I was raised in a small town overseas and have lived in a few different countries. Gathering from your answers it sure sounds you are all actually chivalrous at heart but have not been appreciated. I must say in the countries I have lived in chivalry was an every day thing to ladies. I find its actually the Canadian culture that has an inappreciation all round for chivalry. Just my opinion of course but I have noticed that here. Granted I will say I have dated chivalrous men here and find of the dates I remember most its the men that were the best gentlemen of all I remember.
 commonsens
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:28:12 PM
Here I will quote some of the actual code that we use among old houses that I come from.
(it's a translation from old french so bear with me)

- Honor above all, death before dishonor
- Respect yourself and others
- Your word is your bond
- Courage at all time.
- Honest in your mind and in your hearth.
- Faith in your convictions in front of adversity.
- Your duty is to protect who can't
- Uphold justice even before law or power.
- Help anyone in need.
 jumpypants
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:29:46 PM
commonsens,

Good words indeed.

In this age, a man who lives by those words needs to find a woman who will live by those words.

Long odds.
 Sweet sensations
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:32:15 PM
Oh thats easy jumpy pants just add and don't forget to lift the toilet seat to the list!!!!

No offense common sense the words were very eloquent.
 jumpypants
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:32:55 PM
Or pee sitting down :)
 Ementat
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:34:43 PM
actually upon several occasions, when i opened the doors for women I was most often the recipient of the phrase "what, dont you think I can do that for myself?" is true swear to gawd.
 jumpypants
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:35:29 PM
ementat,

Wow. I have only heard stories of this.

Not sure what I would say. Probably something very very very bad :)
 Sweet sensations
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:36:30 PM
enough out of you Jumpy I'm still rolling my eyes from your "Hitch" trick tonight on your thread.......
 jumpypants
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:36:52 PM
Thanks ma'am :)
 Sweet sensations
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:39:09 PM
Youve been a bad boy on the forums go to your room!
 jumpypants
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:39:39 PM
Yes Mistress :(
 Sweet sensations
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:43:07 PM
Good night gentlemen .... don't want to ruin a good thread Jumpy... lets go!
 jumpypants
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:47:39 PM
So, here is what I think of chivalry.

Most women unless they are ready to marry - find it boring unless it is johnny depp being chivalrous. And an awful lot of women are doing the "we grew apart" thing, and grabbing the house and kids, leaving the knight in shining armor hocking his armor to cover child support.

Most men would not practice it if laws were changed and women were again reduced to property.

It is good to know chivalrous people exist. I cannot say I am one, exactly. I believe some do though, but they are pretty rare.
 Adrenaline Rush
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:49:22 PM
Chivalry is not dead! its just not alive......its in a sort of non waking coma that is sustained by a life suports system otherwise known as faith.
also....since girls seem to like me and my chivalry i see no reason to stop. most of it is just common sense.
 Lux_Interior
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:53:43 PM
Isn't it mainly just being polite? I have yet to date anyone who wasn't.

I don't flip out when a guy opens a door for me. I merely say thanks (can't vouch for whether or not I smile, though).
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What ever happened to committment and chivalry?