Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Taking risks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 squirrly
Msg: 1
Taking risksPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Ray Bradbury said "If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go into business, because we'd be cynical. Well, that's nonsense. You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down."

I know for me, I have "jumped" in the past only to find that the other person didn't jump with me. But I think he's right that you have to take the risk because staying in your comfort zone won't make things happen. Problem is with this online dating that some people seem to hedge their bets ....or keep their options open ...and aren't wholehearted in trying to make a relationship work. Maybe it is a personality type? Maybe some people are just always looking for the "next" one and don't give the one under their nose their all?
 jumpypants
Msg: 2
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:44:56 PM
I took a risk and joined the barbie brigade and someone deleted my gangsta barbie :(
 longte
Msg: 3
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:44:57 PM
Adrenalin is a wonderful thing
 CountrySugar
Msg: 4
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:45:28 PM
I fully agree with that...

There are so many options and so many choices..that we just keep expecting something better to come along..when we probably had better the first time and just didn't realize it..ok I tend to babble sorry..that made sense in my head now that I'm reading it, it doesn't ..
 Belfast Child
Msg: 5
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:45:31 PM
The biggest risk of all - is not taking one.
 brad77hayes
Msg: 6
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:45:58 PM
i wish these women would stop getting me all excited with the barbie pics. What a tease!
 Tigger101
Msg: 7
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:51:04 PM
You do need to take the risk. You also need to jump , and if they don't jump with you mabe they will catch you at the bottom. It just suck's to do it alone. But they say these things make us stronger.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 8
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:53:00 PM
it is a foolish woman to take a risk on a guys potential....
or one of the other things some women do.

Good risk in love arena would be on a man who loved her... not one
she wants to love her

what do you think?

leaping before you look could break your neck ! LOL
 jumpypants
Msg: 9
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:53:59 PM
fran,

A wise woman is one who believes anything a man says.

over and over and over.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 10
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:57:48 PM
I am sure there are a lot of risk takers out there, but I am not one of them. I find that a good thing.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 11
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:00:03 PM
thanks but not needing wise lessons here
from bozo the clown
 brad77hayes
Msg: 12
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:03:12 PM
You got to take risks, but dont leave yerself too wide open
 naturelover70
Msg: 13
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:05:36 PM
I can totally relate to what you are saying and believe that it is 100% true SQUIRRLY.

My whole thinking is this.........if I have found someone I connect with and begin dating them EXCLUSIVELY then my profile is changed and I am no longer looking. If I am approached by email or IM one of the first thing I say is that I am seeing someone. The general response from most men on here is positive........" wow nice to hear that two people actually hooked up in here" or " wish you the best of luck."

I guess it all comes down to a person's character, morals, and values..........those that continue to look are just cheating themselves in the long run because they never gave a person a real chance at connecting.

This is what my profile reads :

My experience in here is that people come and go and it is very rare to find something that lasts. A dating site is what it is "a search engine" and people keep continuing to search for what they think is the perfect mate and as long as there is the next pic to keep you searching, no one stops to give anyone a chance. You are always left wondering how many others they are talking to, and where on their list your number places.

Ementat
Msg: 14
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:08:10 PM
Its true, alot of people like to keep their options open, and are not wholehearted or even half heartedly trying to make any relationship work. Read my profile and understand it people! If you havent taken the jump, you might not know, but if you've never intented to make that jump, whats the point? I know for a fact how hard a person falls, and how hard it is to get back up again, fix your wings and fly again. It seems a lot of people, both men and women, romantically make a choice to keep their options open. Its easy, its safe, and it keeps them sexually satisfied, and emotionally contained. Which is why they keep their options open. The only thing those types of people romantically ARE decisive about is "which one to pleasure me, tonight?"
 rain_city
Msg: 15
Taking risks
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:17:12 PM

I took a risk and joined the barbie brigade and someone deleted my gangsta barbie :(

Shise jumpy! Just today I was thinking about buying a BARBIE, making some unique outfit and posting it as a profile pic. I'm serious... I love all the BARBIE pics that have been posted lately. (BTW, the sales of Matel's Barbies has dropped dramatically in the last two years).

I would love to do a POF BARBIE runnway contest and post all the creations here. Now that would be "Taking a risk" (had to get back on topic somehow).
 tabithia
Msg: 16
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:20:05 AM
Some are not whole heartly. You take the risk when you are on a dating services. You just keep trying to you fine the right one. The one that will jump with you )
 music4u
Msg: 17
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:50:42 AM
I read something once that has stayed with me and this is the perfect thread "squirrly" to share it: You can find your life if you are willing to embark on a great adventure,for those who seek to protect their heart are surely the ones who will lose it.

Do you think that those always looking for the next best profile,and keeping options open have lost their heart trying to protect it????
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 18
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 7:21:41 AM

You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down

You wouldn't jump off a cliff if you didn't have wings at all. You have to be bright enough to know your limitations and strong enough to know when you can augment those limitations. This is where intellect steps in.

This is simply calculated risk. No biggie.
 commonsens
Msg: 19
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 7:24:59 AM
200% agree with belfastchild's post.(#5)
 bikebowman
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:01:16 AM
How true is that!
You took the jump and look around...haha falling all alone!
But a risk is so worth it. All you learn, do and become.
I would rather be falling from a cliff alone learning as I fall then not take the risk.
 Indigo Rose
Msg: 21
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:13:11 AM
Thank goodness I have harnessed the power to suspend gravity
I personally have never been afraid to jump it's like child birth if we remembered the pain we would never do IT again....EVA!!!
 belgarion
Msg: 22
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:47:32 AM
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

Problem is with this online dating that some people seem to hedge their bets ....or keep their options open ...and aren't wholehearted in trying to make a relationship work. Maybe it is a personality type? Maybe some people are just always looking for the "next" one and don't give the one under their nose their all?

Those people are called commitaphobics
They dont' know what the word commit means. They're probaly like that in off-line as well. Until they can change they're there dating habits, they'll always be searching for that perfect one.

I've seen a number of profiles with this comment, ' I'm not looking for Mr/Ms. perfect, just perfect for me '. These people are the ones that are going to eventually find that special someone, whether on-line or off-line. They realize we do not live in a perfect world, and to expect perfection is a false hope. Since I have been exclusively in contact with someone from here it was a pretty simple choice for me to make. Until I have exhausted every avenue with her I will not wander!!! I've had new women contact me since I changed my profile to show I'm here for the forums only, and they just don't get it. Can't they read? I mean I'm flattered and tell them so, I'm not rude to them, but I do let them know I'm off the market.
 Feeniks
Msg: 23
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:06:36 AM
I think these sites are inhabited by two types of people:
(1) those who enjoy the game of dating and expect to be back for another round in a few years. As the same ones keep coming back for seconds and thirds, they are a growing percentage and will be the majority.
(2) those who believe in long term commitments and want to give this approach a try. If successful, they won't be back, or be hanging around looking for better. This set will stay at a steady number as the total number of players here increases.
Not making any judgements on either. I'm an idealist myself. I hope to go back to haunting a motorcycle bulletin board again once I'm done here. (much as I've been enjoying stirring up the stuff on the forums.)
As to risks, we've all been burned once or we wouldn't be here so a bit of caution is expected. If it stops a relationship from developing, then that person needs more time or practice or experience or something.
That's a great quote from Bradbury BTW.
 wolfskshuntress
Msg: 24
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:09:50 AM
jumpypants, i took that risk too, and now look at me ..
 dartguy
Msg: 25
Taking risks
Posted: 3/8/2006 11:21:07 AM
Gotta make sure you know the difference between taking risks and jumping in blindly. Most risk takers will tell you they just don't jump in blindly, they analyze the situation and know what the pros and cons are than go for it.

If you just jump in blindly you will probably be disappointed. The risk takers will know the situation first and know the consequence before jumping in.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Taking risks