Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > does someone's job really matter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vancouverite
Msg: 1
does someone's job really matter?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I was scanning profiles, and I came across this black and white photo. I like B&W photography, so I check her out.
Cute girl, attractive, good profile, seems cool, reading on...then I come to "he's gotta have a good job, like me". I had to ponder this last bit. It just didn't sit right with me.

Does a job really matter? Let's say you go to a party, and there you meet someone cool. There's an attraction, you two get along well, it's kinda nice. But then, when you find out what job they do: everything changes.

They have a job that is way beneath you, so you just cut that sh*t off, because it is over right now. Job sucks, goodbye. Please, go away now.

Or: they ask you your job, and you don't even finish explaining, because they are staring right through you. It's done, your job was all wrong, and it's time to gulp down your drink, smile, and slink away.

What? That's extremely bogus, and terribly shallow... Who cares about a job that much? If the person is hot, or fun, or whatever: just go for it. Everyone has potential.

Besides, wouldn't you miss out on amazing people?
 rocknrollmunkey
Msg: 2
does someone's job really matter?
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:19:38 PM
No it doesn't matter. I'm currently dating the kid that works the night shift at Sev.
 Captain Sargasmo
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:23:04 PM
aw geez Pin...and here i thought you'd left us.

8.5% on topic...

i don't care what someone does...so long as they do something.
 Just_JoJo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:29:46 PM
I really don't care, just as long as he's not working in a fast food place.
(OKAY FINE HE CAN JUST AS LONG AS HE IS GOING TO SCHOOL)
 Boobie Potty Shorts
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:31:19 PM
as long as he can afford to pay for himself while we are out and not ask his parents for money it's all good.
 starpitcher
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:34:25 PM
If they dude has motivation and at least a parttime job (hopefully going to school to strive for something better..) then it's all good :) Ive met a few that are ...hmmm... how to say it nicely..... a lil low on the self motivation... and well.. I got outta there ASAP! Get off your butt and do something.. dont sit there and gripe that you cant find a job. You cant find one if you spend you entire day sitting in front of a computer playing online games...
 beltaine
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:35:12 PM

"he's gotta have a good job, like me".

Unless she said what she does, then thats an incomplete comparison. Additionally, what someone considers a good job, another might consider beneath them.

That's extremely bogus, and terribly shallow. Who cares about a job that much? If the person is hot, or fun, or whatever: just go for it. Everyone has potential.

Obviously, she cares...and I agree, it's pretty shallow.

Besides, wouldn't you miss out on amazing people?

Yes you would. I think some people are fixated on the job because they feel that a job defines who somebody is. My opinion is that a job is what you do to fund your living expenses and interests. If your job overlaps with your interests, then consider it a bonus.

Canada75
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:50:45 PM
Well said mrmuscles! I agree 100%. I think it's true that both men and women take a step back when they here what someone does for a living when they think it might be beneath them or something they would never do. I'm sure I may have been guilty myself of that once or twice in the past. There was a previous thread about how much telemarketers suck. There's a perfect example of that and many people on here expressed there contempt for anyone who does that for a job. I'm not a telemarketer but if I was and told a girl that might have showed interest in me, I bet she would second guess their interest in me after hearing that. Just society vearing it's ugly side again. We'll learn one day.......I hope
 halokitty
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:04:02 PM
Well, I kinda like my guy to have a job other then working at McDonalds. I dunno, when I meet guys who are in their late 20s with no Grade 12 and no job I just kinda....run. Fast. I'm not saying you gotta be white collar or anything, just...have a job, a decent job.

I see guys like that as moochers. And maybe not all of them are, but a good percentage that I've run into have nothing more that interests them then staying home playing video games. I had to study hard, apply myself and now I have to go through hell in job testings to find a job, why should I have to sacrifice my time so the guy I'm dating can sit at home and do nothing? No one gets a free ride, and unemployment is fine if you're going to school to better yourself or you're looking for work (actively looking, not just claiming to) but other then that...I cant justify supporting someone or being involved with someone who has no interest in working.

If you're trying to better yourself by going to school or working a crap job just to save up some more money to get back to school then that's understandable.
 D A I S Y
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:10:03 PM
no job

not in school

not on welfare/ei

no sugar daddy/family handouts

independent

successful
 Valtart
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:17:39 PM
What does anyone do really????
 Dunkk
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:28:55 PM
I dont think it really matters what they do for a living as long as they can say they are happy and dont feel like they are wasting away heh who am I to judge!
 andiedandie
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:42:18 PM
Mrmuscles....THANK-YOU!!.... your one of the good guys!! ...and one of the reasons I'm here!!

What is a job intended for: to ultimately give us a pupose in life....

NOW....that being said, let me share with you my past/present employment status... I went to school, got my Interior Design Diploma and worked in the industry for about 8 years. I then struggled looking for and being in and out of work for the last 4 years..... not because I was lazy... not because I didn't have a purpose in life...not because i didn't want to work!! In 2004 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia(FM) & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(CFS or ME)... the pieces fell into place and helped explain why I was having difficulites working, looking for work etc. Since having been diagnosed, I really struggled with being ok with not working, accepting that I physically am not capable of working anymore...at least what we call a "real Job"... But I've found my niche now and volunteer for the MEFM Society of BC.... I help people in finding ways to manage & live with these syndromes, with quality, moderation and.....A PURPOSE!!!

My purpose in life has always been to be a good person, survive and live...working or not... I was determined to do just that!! It sucks when people state or believe that they have to be with someone that is working...because they won't settle for less.

Society dictates that we are supposed to work...the first thing people ask you when you meet them is usually "What do you do?". How about this....each time someone asks you that question answer by saying " I LIVE MY LIFE WITH PURPOSE & MEANING"
 starpitcher
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:47:04 PM
Andie... you still have motivation.. and thats what matters!

So long as theres some sort of motivation to the person.... then more power to them! Determination and motivation go a long way in my book!
 Xanthopterin
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:56:58 PM
Now did she mean she was the job or the job had to be good??? what is good??? good pay or something you like to do??? seems like a little bit too much interpretation there.....

just saying....
 kindirishman
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:57:07 PM
A lot of women on dating sites such as this one tend to think a man's career or lack thereof is important. Which is rediculous, I tell everyone I talk to that I'm in construction, and they instantly think I'm some dim witted oaf on the end of a hammer. I of course was there at one point, but rather than going to college and wasting all that money, I am now a project manager (yes...suit, tie, the whole 9) and have a successful career, so please ladies, don't assume too much until you hear the whole story. The type of job doesn't matter, it's the fact that you have one and can support yourself.
 andiedandie
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:00:50 AM
Thanks Star!! it is the motivation that matters... Just would like people to one day be accepting that having a job isn't the most important things in life!! So many people say...don't judge a book by its cover!! Everyone has a story... and the only way you can get to know them...find out if they are the right person for you... is being open to hearing their story!!

"Superstaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr" Mary Catherine Gallagher from SNL (Molly Shannon's Character)
 starpitcher
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:04:17 AM
ok theres a lot of hate going out towards the ladies Ive noticed...... We're not the only ones that judge a person because of their "job"..... Ive been ditched before because I work parttime at a grocery store... they didnt wait around long enough to hear that Im a single mom trying to support my son WHILE GOING THROUGH SCHOOL! (which Im almost done).. Granted there are a lot of PEOPLE ( not just men or women) that suck the system for what its worth and then some... but come on! Dont be so hasty to judge us all...

as I said before... motivation/determination is the key... so long as you have one or a combination of those.. its all good :)
 kindirishman
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:19:58 AM
Star, I do admit that it does happen to women as well, but you may agree that more often than not it's men that get the brunt of it. And what you do is commendable, definitely worth being noted. It's hard enough to look after yourself and go to school, but to have children on top of that and still keep your head above water is even harder. So cudos to you and anyone else out there with that much drive. Your job definitely doesn't matter. You're providing for you and yours, and getting something accomplished. My hat off to you :)
 starpitcher
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:26:34 AM
I cant say for sure if men have gotten the brunt of it or not.. what doesnt help their (men that is) situation would be the ones that seem to think putting up obviously fake jobs in their descript.. I had one guy from the states have in his profile say that he was a stock broker and I thought man this person has some drive to be that... then after responding to his email and chatting a few times he told me he was a personal trainer.. and later in the same convo it came out that he wasnt working at all... which is fine.. I figured he was going to school so therefore still motivated... Then it came out that he was 26 years old and still living with his parents on EI and really just trying to get his priorities together as he just detoxed. What I got from this is that he was trying to impress whoever he could with what he put in the job description portion of his profile... My main reason for answering him..... he had some really nice tattoos...

So Im not a sucker for your job description... but I am a sucker for someone with Tats or is motivated and/or determined to be successful at whatever they may do in their life.
 spudotoole
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:43:41 AM
In a very big sence you're right star, and all the above. I feel that its todays society that judges (both men&women) wether or not its a job of any kind that makes or breaks a new friendship or even bigger a relationship. Many of both have never had a chance to grow because one or the other has made a snap judgement.

I feel that as long as you are active in something, and not wasting your life away. You have just as good of chance of being a friend or more of mine, as the millionaire next door.
 hobbes26
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/8/2006 2:11:45 AM
well, it can also be seen as a sign of personality. Someone who has no job, no drive to get a job and no interest in bettering themselves already has alot of things in conflict with me.

I am someone who is ALWAYS trying to improve myself. Its not that i dont think i am good, its that i believe if you are not growing you are dying. I never judge people by their profession but i will note how they talk about their job.

If someone has a dead end job they are miserable at well...that effects things too.
Our jobs are what we do to have our lives and not our lives but to claim what you do 40 hrs a week as no effect is completely ludicrous. The professions we select often are linked to our personality. If we are happy in those positions even moreso.

So altho i don't care what job someone has, if they are not trying for anything or are miserable and not planning on doing something....why would i want their stress?
 Belladona
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:02:37 AM
I don't care what he does, as long as it's legal and he enjoys what he does. One works to live, rather live to work....balance and enjoyment is the key.
 Walts
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:21:29 AM
""does someone's job reallly matter?"".......well, I hope not.Presently, my job is chasing steelhead. Hell, come to think of it, it's not a bad job,,,the pays not great thou.
 Eclectic Elf
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:32:51 AM

Ive been ditched before because I work parttime at a grocery store... they didnt wait around long enough to hear that Im a single mom trying to support my son WHILE GOING THROUGH SCHOOL!

1) re: the ditching -- you're way better off that that happened... my gut instinct says that attitude of the "ditcher" is probably just the tip of the iceberg, and who knows what other attitude type things would have filtered out as time went on.

2) re: the grocery job -- not as easy as most would assume -- and definitely not something to be looked down on. I'm not sure I would have the temperment to deal with b*tchy people, some in a hurry, some blaming you for what they may perceive as high prices, or not having their favourite 'item' in stock. Most likely the majority of customers are civilized -- but I've watched the idiots in checkout lineups -- and it only takes one to pee on ones parade, no matter how hard the sales person is trying.

3) re: single mom -- (and I'll group single dads in here too) ... an incredibly difficult job, trying to find that balance between supplying all the necessities of life for the knee biter(s) and supplying the care, love and nurturing the little one needs. Mastering the art of multi tasking -- caregiver, doctor, playmate, attempting to fill the void if the other parent is not involved... the list is pretty much endless.

someone who is trying to juggle that kind of life (often at the expense of not having much of a life of their own), female or male, is a person to be admired not scorned. Just the simple fact they are doing it speaks volumes for their character and drive..

sincerest kudos to those travelling what could be a bumpy road
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > does someone's job really matter?