Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > do australian men date? and how?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 something else
Msg: 1
do australian men date? and how?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
i've just returned from overseas, and again, i'm left wondering why it is that i meet so many men when i'm away, but not in australia (sydney/melbourne). is this a sign of a cultural chasm, or are there different rules in australia that i don't know about yet, having grown up in the western suburbs...

i have a couple of theories, one being that australian men are so 'evolved', so contemporary, that they are too politically correct to start a conversation with a woman. another being that i am somehow different when travelling (but that doesnt' explain travelling in australia and only meeting international travellers). i thought i'd throw it out to a wider (australian) forum, before posting it generally, so if there's anyone still up...

ps: i am anticipating all those politically correct responses: no, it's not the man's responsibility to start the conversation. ha ha!
 davewithaheart
Msg: 2
do australian men date? and how?
Posted: 3/13/2006 3:03:54 PM
Yes as an aussie man I do date and yes I do go out to movies with my date or for a coffee and it depends on what the date wants.

So yes I think Aussie Men do date but they don't boast about it, however there are some aussie females who actually well boast about going out on a date and then when it turns pear shape there friends rally round them.

As for a guy he only gets asked by his mates occassionally if he has been out on a date and strange enough my mates ask me every 6 months "how's the dating scene going for you dave" because we have other pressing issues to talk about than talking about women.
 something else
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/13/2006 9:02:26 PM
hmmm, i guess that's what i mean, davewithaheart. it seems that in other places i've been, meeting women IS a pressing issue for men. i'm not dis-ing aussie guys. it doesn't say anything about the men once that first meeting's taken place. unless, perhaps, aussie culture really is represented by the bbq metaphor: men outside cooking the steaks - the most pressing issue - women inside cooking the pav. but my friends aren't like that.

i guess i'm interested, because i'm wondering if women really do have to be more pro-active in the dating scene in australia. dating seems to be a regular activity built into north american culture. in europe, there's that hangover from times when it was a man's role to approach a woman, which makes it easy on us. i've been asked out just walking down the street. that doesn't happen here. are australian's much more self-conscious about this stuff??

i'm not exactly sure what your point is about boasting about dates, but i'm curious: the dates you have been on, how have they come about? we seem to rely alot on chance meetings, introductions by friends etc. that's okay. it's just slower and less adventurous....
 amgine
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/13/2006 10:17:18 PM
Guess times change and people along with it, There was once a time If I saw a girl walkin down a bad st in the rain or whatever the circumstance I'd offer her a lift but now days she would probably think your a serial killer tryin to get her, even tho that may not have anything to do with datin it still does show peoples thought of others in todays world, we just dont slow down and say Hi anymore in case of reproace, Australia has its own lifestyle , different to any other country, and in that people of states are different again, personally I find it easier to pick up at a shoppin center only cos its in person to start with, and I cant dance in clubs with two left feet, hell who would pick up a guy in a club that cant dance, Like I said B4 its bit of fear of reproace the guy feels for his actions,, But thats just my thoughts on the subject
 NYLatina
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/14/2006 3:37:19 PM
In response to DreamCatcher:
Sign Me UP Americans seem to get less and less polite as the days roll by. I was personally raised as a "yes Ma'am, "Yes Sir" type of gal. Now people get insulted and say "Don't call me sir or ma'am-It makes me feel old" Well you should respect your elders right???? I'm confused.
 nunthewiser
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2006 5:17:04 PM
dreams right... we are more laid back... well mannered and respectful of others.... we are poilte in a way... but others may think it as rude...but no offense...lol... we too can be loud .. but only when we have a few in us...

personally i think we have a laid back approach to everything... even when it comes to "dating" gee that sounds so formal .... we dont have the pressure of needing to have the great dream of the white picket fences and the 2.4 kids... and the need to be with someone to make us a person... if it happens it happens.. theres no pressure to it.... we can be just as happy hanging out with our mates and just go with the flow.... besides... isnt being in a relationship tobe with your best mate? (of the opposite sex that is) and not for the i can only be someone or make get somewhere on this earth if im seeing someone?

i think we dont approach people in the street as we dont know who that person is... you dont want to end up mugged or worse in a curb somewhere... as i know alot of my friends who are in relationship.. and myself included... will get to know the person on the friend side of things most have met our partners thru a friend of a friend kinda thing at uni or work etc..... if there is that chemistry you just cant deny then ya see where things are to go....

we are just different... and that is the way i like it....lol....

emgine-.. so it was you who was tripping over himself back in the late 90's at the V...lol.. thought i knew ya from somewhere....lol....
 maree12
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:25:43 PM
[we don't have the pressure of needing to have the white picket fence and the 2.4 kids]

We don't? No our dream is the quarter acre block isn't it? Actually it is all about security, so we DO need to know that we have a partner who will still be there when we hit 64.... or 80, or more. I certainly do want a husband, and kids would have been nice but at 48 I can forget about that. Being independent is all very nice when you know that you have time to find a partner, but not when you know that time is fast running out.
 nunthewiser
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2006 8:10:58 PM
what i meant by that is ... we dont need to be in a relationship or be married to buy a house anymore... there are alot of people that are single that do do it on their own....before they are in a relationship or married.... everyone has a dream to own their own house... doesnt always have to come with marriage though.

would i want a husband... maybe... if the right man comes along that allows me to have time to myself... not in each others pockets etc.......but im doubting marriage will not be in the near future for me... so in the meantime... i'll buy a house... raise my child... and go on in my own way....

you can be independant and be with someone as well... theres no need for co-dependance anymore....co- dependance can mean a number of things as i had stated before... IE. relying on someone to make you feel like the person you are.. or having to be with someone to have the things you want....

i see things differently then my mother.... she has been married twice ( woke up in dads bed went to bed at night in another.. the guy she got busted having the affair with)... and is in a defacto relationship who she met 1 week after her 2nd hubby left and he moved in 2 weeks later.... she has never been on her own longer then a week.... my sister is the same... always has to be in a relationship left one long term had her current defacto lined up months before she left the 1st one.... they only think they can buy things or own things if they are in a relationship of some sort... and i dont believe in that....

i dont believe that every relationship will or should end in marriage... or even live-in.... you can have a relationship with someone and not have to live with them... just coz you wont marry or even live with a person doesnt make your relationship not worth it.... or any less committed.
 something else
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/16/2006 9:10:34 PM
hmmm, sounds like we are different, maybe cos australian men (and maybe women, too) are more sensitive about women's safety, or more laid back, which are both good things.

i totally agree that you don't have to be in a relationship. i've been independent for a long time, don't aspire to that whole picket fence thing. (i've got great friends, been married before, have bought a house), but meeting people outside of my social networks makes life interesting. and i've always worked in female dominated environments. as i get older, social networks shrink/change and it's less likely i will meet a man even just to hang out with. male company, generally, is different to female, and i like it too. what else are we here (on this site) for?

australian men have also told me that women that ask men out (however you meet them) is a big turn on.

personally, i find that hard to do. but, i guess, why expect a guy to do it if it's hard for him too?
 miss_fit
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/16/2006 10:07:46 PM
Yes, they say 'wanna root darlin?' and thats about the extent of it!
 Outbackguy
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/31/2006 8:57:56 AM
How incredibly crass. I don't know about the kind of guys that you meet, but we're not all beer swilling, brain dead idiots, who say "You wanna root, darling?" I personally find that sort of comment offensive, as all it does is perpetuate a stereotype...it's like saying that all ozzie women are called Sheila, smoke cigarettes with their hair in curlers, as they vacuum the livingroom, while they watch Bert Newton doing his thing on Good Morning Australia...I don't know where you're going to meet guys...but maybe you should consider going to places that exclude the RSL in future.
 MegaKermit
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/31/2006 12:21:23 PM
hey something else, wanna root darlin'?
 miss_fit
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/31/2006 1:44:07 PM
Cmon outback guy - dont go getting offended - it was actually a joke mate - you know haha!
 stuntriderau
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/31/2006 1:49:01 PM
i dont think theres many ppl who understand your jokes....
i do

wanna root darlin?
 oddsocks
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/31/2006 1:59:42 PM
well how do all the overseas smoothies do it,ask girls out.........just walk up off the street or what

and yes miss fit, i also would like to do rude things to you....lol.........
is that any better than wanna root darling??
 stuntriderau
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/31/2006 2:11:35 PM
odd....that sounds creepy.

*said in a deep soft voice* miss i wanna do rude things to you.

lol sry odd, just playing round
 oddsocks
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/31/2006 2:16:54 PM
its an old tassie chat up line,meant to be sort of funny with possible connotations.

lots used to use it.....
lots used to be told to p off as well.....
 stuntriderau
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/31/2006 2:19:25 PM
lol,

ill give it a go, hahahahahahaha
ummmm maybe lol
 nunthewiser
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:02:42 PM
theres nothing worse then a dead root..lol
 stuntriderau
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:04:40 PM
necro........

when ya coming to sydney nun? haha
 nunthewiser
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:08:35 PM
hmmmm.... not anytime soon Nath....lol.... sorry to say..... im all rooted out from last... hmmm.. im not going to kiss and tell....
 stuntriderau
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:20:09 PM
hahahaha go on tell ......
 nunthewiser
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:27:14 PM
nah... coz that would be so going off topic...lol.... and we cant have that..... besides.... cant have ya standing at attention while ya working.... lol...ya customers will think ya really happy to see them....

all i can say.... we're back....
 stuntriderau
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/31/2006 5:03:42 PM
hahahaha

ummmm there great bikes....look what they do to me hahahahaha
 nunthewiser
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2006 5:08:28 PM
LOL.... thats not a nice thing to call people you have been with or the town trollop....lol.... although... i know a niece of a famous person that nickname was called bike...lmfao...
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > do australian men date? and how?