Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Here is a thought      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kindirishman
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Here is a thoughtPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
People say that they know exactly who they are.....but do they. If you really think about it, there are many parts to one's personality, the angry side, the jealous side, the happy side, the defencive side, the vulnerable side etc. But wich one of those personality parts actuall rule the individual? Or is it a combination of all of those things in a certain mix that make us who we are? I believe that in most cases it possibly could. But think of each one of those "sub-personality" traits and view them each as an individual. You almost have to in a sense. Because first of all, you are definitely not the same person when you're by yourself you express yourself freely, even in talking to yourself, and let's face it, everyone does it. Or the angry self, or the happy self. All would do things in such a manner that would conflict with the other or in the very least be completely different reactions to the same situation. I feel that none of us truely know who we are, because at the very basic core of us all there are only a few main personalities that dictate who we are in that moment. The first being the "social" self, then, the "private" self, and the "primal" self. All three of these interact with each other to produce what we think is a single individual, but is it really? I dunno, was just a crazy thought on a long drive to work, it seemed like an interesting thought at the time, perhaps I should have had coffee first though lol Tell me what y'all think.
 CanuckleChica
Msg: 2
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 9:46:41 PM
Woah, dude. You talk to yourself?
 rocknrollmunkey
Msg: 3
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 9:49:43 PM
People talk to themselves?

I at least talk to the penguin that lives in my bathtub.

And he smokes too.

I bet you're all jealous.
 1andlovinit
Msg: 4
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:01:00 PM
sometimes it takes someone else to point things out to you....
 operababeutah
Msg: 5
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:23:46 PM
I found out the hard way how scary i got when everything in my life was taken away from me. a person that has lost everything is a very dangerous person. I had nothing more to lose. i entertained some very scary thoughts, none of which i carried out, I lost everything in my divorce. anger is a very scary emotion
 andiedandie
Msg: 6
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:33:53 PM
wow.... never though that I had so many selves.... does that mean we all have mulitple personalities?? lol
 kindirishman
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:42:15 PM
andie, that's kind of what I was hinting at. Anyone agree even remotely with what I said, or can you even understand it? or have an INTERESTING thought about it?
 Must_Love_Dogz
Msg: 8
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:52:02 PM
For what its worth, I once heard that beneath all of the complexities that define our personalities a good indicator of the 'core' is to observe when a person goes through some difficult hardship and how they react to it.
 whodeletedme
Msg: 9
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:54:25 PM
I thought those were just called moods??
 phatjesus
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:12:09 PM
I know what you mean man...

I have a good friend who is very good at 'analysing' people. Many people who seem very self aware will often be enlightened by him. I think it's just his way of telling them certain things about themselves so they actually listen.

Think about this: In a conversation, MOST people are guilty of not listening, but instead spending the time while the other talks to think about the next thing they will say. By MOST, I mean the VAST majority of conversations go this way.

Now, think about how many people on this site would actually admit they are guilty of this.... probably none.

Nobody knows exactly who they are because even if you are humble and willing to admit your flaws, you still believe you are honestly a good person. It's rare to get a breakthrough with somebody and get them to actually see a flaw that they've been in denial of for a long while.
 kindirishman
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:26:39 PM
FINALLY lol someone that understands what I'm talking about. Interesting way of looking at people isn't it?
 andiedandie
Msg: 12
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:53:22 PM

Nobody knows exactly who they are because even if you are humble and willing to admit your flaws

Phatjesus.... so what are your flaws?
 t0rtle
Msg: 13
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:56:56 PM
People say that they know exactly who they are.....but do they.

No.

Everyone has at least 4 faces: The face they have, the face they think they have, the face they show, and the face people see. Few are aware of all of them.

First year psychology should be as mandatory as English at college/university.
 Tuff Roxy
Msg: 14
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:21:33 AM
Hi Sybil, Im Wynona, and my good friend Hobbes is Bongo!! Nice to meet you!
 phatjesus
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:30:56 AM

Phatjesus.... so what are your flaws?

Forgive me if I don't spill them all out here on a public forum.

Besides, my point is that most flaws in a person are known by those around him before he knows himself.... for example...

I once was unemployed and was blaming it on 'circumstance', ADHD (I was diagnosed as a child) and 'bad luck'. 'this is how I am, I'm just unemployable, and I've come to accept that' I'd say. "You should just be glad that you don't have ADHD like me! It REALLY hinders my ability to keep a job!" One day a friend pointed out that I really hadn't tried that hard to find or keep a job, and I was spending an awful lot of time posting on forums. If I took half the time I spent posting on forums and spent it learning some skills and working at some at-home business, I could be making a lot of money from my house and I could get off EI, get some confidence, maybe get laid, not be a burden on society!!

He realised that I was a lazy scapegoater before I even did! I was glad he pointed it out to me. After that, I spent a great deal of effort changing my life so as to be much less lazy and to take charge of things instead of looking for excuses for underachievement. I even quit the forums for a few years to complete some school!
 andiedandie
Msg: 16
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:41:41 AM

I even quit the forums for a few years to complete some school!

...so what brings you back now?
 phatjesus
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:46:38 AM

...so what brings you back now?

I'd like to come here and encourage others who spend a lot of time posting on forums while sucking the government's tit to get off their butts and get some skills that will allow them to be employable... Particularly those who must overcome ADHD, or other 'invisible' disabilities. Think of it as a 'calling' to help those in need of 'encouragement'

Plus, I finished school, now I have a job with lots of breaks (dispite my severe case of ADHD). I normally practice guitar during the breaks, but my fingers are sometimes sore, and tendonitis is dangerous, so I come here to rant in the meantime. Lots of ranting inspiration here, like people who claim they're unable to work, yet are somehow able to post on internet forums quite a bit! Seems incongruous to me, and annoying when I think about the fact that it's my dollar that is paying for them to sit around and post.
I do care deeply about those poor mentally disabled people and mentally ill who honestly can't work, and I'd rather have my tax dollars go to them. I've read "homelessness" by Jack Layton and thought it was great. When I see people getting funding who are capable of work, it angers me. If somebody can spend time browsing internet forums, posting, volunteering, etc. they're capable of earning their own keep and taking care of themselves, I say. Think I'll write a song about it....

hobbes26
Msg: 18
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:47:45 AM
Hello me, its nice talking to myself, a true credit to dementia.....

Self discovery is a constant process we are always growing and changing so to ever claim to know yourself completely is foolish. Also, we all have bias, self image and personal filters so we do not se ourselves as we are but rather how we wish to see ourselves, which often times is different. It occurs to me that the more you know the more you realise how little you know thus claiming you know everything about yourself would imply....

In order to truly know oneself, you would have to be completely separate from self to observe without context, there is an entire branch of religion based on this, they are called the ascetics, they go off in the bush, have no possesions and try to channel themselves into things like rocks, trees, birds,and so forth. Now while most think this is to experience other things truthfully it is self discovery because you are dropping your self image in the hopes of being able to truly see yourself as you are without your mud of experiences dirtying the lens.

I have a good idea of who i am....but i know that it is always changing so i just try to find the systems of which i work. In the end, i am a very simple creature so long as i accept the dynamic quality inherent to sentience. I think this is what the OP is trying to get at, altho very few people will get that. Tthe trickiest part of knowledge is trying to communicate it with others cause ideas are often hard to translate to words... but we attempt anyways...
 whitey2
Msg: 19
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:48:30 AM
Did someone say self discovery? Fap* fap* fap*

andiedandie
Msg: 20
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:32:24 PM
When I see people getting funding who are capable of work, it angers me. If somebody can spend time browsing internet forums, posting, volunteering, etc.

How do you know these people are capable of work? And/or what their limits are...

... seems to me, people who truly know if someone is capable of work would be either a medical registered doctor or a friend/family member, as well as they would actually know them and/or have walked in their shoes with the same ailments/symptons/syndromes/diseases as the person who in not able to work

like people who claim they're unable to work, yet are somehow able to post on internet forums quite a bit!
....as for this statement...again... you do not know what people's limits are physical/cognitive or physcological...unless your a doctor, friend or family member.

Its great if you want to encourage people to work, people who you actually know, have met and understand their stand point from a medical perspective and their personal perspective. So why not start your own forum/thread... to do just this...rather then making assumptions about people & drawing your own conclusions when you have never met them!!

On topic- Figure out which personality your gonna use to counsel people!! LOL
 andiedandie
Msg: 21
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:46:08 PM
from thread..."DOES SOMEONE JOBS REALLY MATTER?"... This is my post...which addresses helping people...in reference to the above post by myself & phatjesus

so does a job really matter?.... as I have posted earlier in this thread...my job is to lead my life with meaning and purpose.... if you're not able to work...for whatever reason... maybe your job, and meaning and purpose...is to "lend a helping hand to someone that needs a fresh start" in whatever context that you can help someone make steps at regaining their sense of pride..."to feel like they are still a prominent but more importantly, a valued person in our society"
 whitey2
Msg: 22
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:49:57 PM
Dont you mean a tought? Irishman lol
 welder_guy
Msg: 23
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:56:13 PM
OI!

I am going I am going
where streams of Whiskey are going.

Happy Early St. Paddys mate!

O/T: I know EXACTLY who I am!
 bcboy72
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:58:56 PM
I only talk to myself when I want intelligent answers...
 Doc Sage
Msg: 25
Here is a thought
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:09:40 PM
__I am in my early 50's and I am still learning things about me. This is a life long journey.

__May I say that I do like me more and more.

Doc
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Here is a thought