Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > euthanasia /murder or mercy killing?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 huggieangel
Msg: 4
euthanasia /murder or mercy killing?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I have told my family that I do not want to be kept alive by a machine as to me that is not living.
I don't want them to have to watch any suffering.
 maree12
Msg: 6
euthanasia /murder or mercy killing?
Posted: 3/15/2006 5:56:00 PM
I too, have a living will, but, on discussing it with my GP, he tells me that another treating doctor can ignore this missive.
I believe that is quality of life that is important, which means that when you go to sleep at night you WANT to wake up the next day.
I have been left disabled by a stroke, most would say I am not badly disabled, and with what I can do, I am not, but, the not being able to do the things that I once loved makes my quality of life not worth anything. I feel that when I was taken into hospital at the time of the accident that left me this way, the treating doctor would have known how limited my life would be, and advised my parents, and (then) partner how it would be, and THEY would have known I would not want to continue existing as I do now.
Last year, my mother suffered a second stroke which would have left her totally paralysed, not just 50%, and I initiated the conversation to remove life support, knowing that a woman as alive and vital as her would NEVER be happy spending her lif in a wheelchair, or bed.
I don't know about this phrase "dying with dignity", but I sure do know about a living death.
 MegaKermit
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:05:43 PM
no idea, buy youthanasia is a good megadeth album
 Manseekscompanion
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/3/2006 8:56:37 AM
Hmmm, the problem is: it is a bit hard to change your mind, after your dead
 tisme_susan
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2006 8:22:43 PM
I think euthanasia occurs more than we know. I've heard of overdoses on medication etc. and know when my sister was dying of a brain tumour, she had a sign over her bed saying do not resuscitate
 sparticuss
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/7/2006 2:43:07 AM
This was featured on SBS last week.

Not featured was a reders digest case from a few years back about a burns victim.

A serious one.

Despite the pain killers changing his dressing was like being skinned alive but, because the guy was so badly hurt he could only communicate his pain by facial expression.

The most disturbing one on SBS was a woman who had gone through agaony beating cancer. She was clean but there was a big risk that the cancer would come back.

So she went to Mexico to buy some illegal euthenasia drugs and then chickened out on bringing them back.

Where this was disturbing was the whole scene. She had no advice about beating the cancer again if it recurred. NO up to the minite advice on advances in medicine. She WASNT a death waiting to happen.

But she still bought the drugs.

If euthenasia is indtoduced, as a legal option, but requiring medical, and possibly, court approval, then that will keep the damn cowboys out of the whole scene.
 InSydney
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/7/2008 7:49:34 PM
Some elderly people don't want to be a burden on their loved ones and that's one of the main reasons why they ask to be "put out of their misery" when their health deterioates so much that it causes them severe and on-going pain. I think we have an obligation to make it clear that to those same people that keeping them alive is not a burden to us while they still have a reasonably good quality of life. We also have an obligation to grant their wishes if they don't want to live any longer when their life becomes more painful than joyful. Keeping somebody alive for no other reason than because we are emotionally attached to them is just cruel.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > euthanasia /murder or mercy killing?