Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PayAsYouGo-Casper
Msg: 2
Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?Page 1 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)
I wont live with a partner long enough for them to have the same rights as wife who could walk away with have your stuff.
theres no way i get married without someone signing one..we can love each other now but in the real world that can end.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 19
Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:17:43 PM
msg 18
some people has assets..... thats why
and they want to protect them
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:52:54 PM
msg 33.. well thank you for clearing that up but I didnt think it was aimed at me
anyway
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:15:37 PM
db
its not like that for me.....

**** I would prefer to have one in the event of a divorce..... that is what I see them for..

not to keep my spouse away from my assets.

I know there are people who do this (how you view them). That is not what I consider a prenup to be
for.

I see them only for the event of divorce... not as a way of ensuring and providing inheiritance to
children and extended family.
 dud
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:16:34 PM
^^^^^ good post

i dont know why people are so against pre-nups. i know it doesnt sound romantic, but i think id like to be prepared for anything. not saying id go this route for sure, but im not against it.

it only matters IF you split
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:17:51 PM
yes.... I cant believe it but I agree with dud

;)
 PayAsYouGo-Casper
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:21:10 PM
In the real world feelings can change and relationships can end..
if you needed was the persons love..why wouldnt you sign...
greed would be the only thing that would stop someone..
its like if you make me unhappy i,m taking half of what you got.
isnt the exp and good memories and what you shared enough to have when walking away..and of course what you both own together ..well split that..
why do you need half of my stuff if you dont love me anymore?

of course you should sign.
hence why this idea was created to make your partner feel safe that you wont take half of everything they have if that loving feeling goes away..
i truly think anyone who disagrees does it out of greed .
my opinion.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:29:09 PM
why would anyone marry.. using a prenup to
make sure their spouse didnt get anything if
they stayed together?

thats not what they are for !!!

Fran_Gal
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:34:45 PM
msg 48.... I know your not talking to me

PayAsYouGo-Casper
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:34:53 PM
Is for me...if it isnt signed ..and we break up on bad terms..she can take half of all i have...

its one thing to live in the fantasy bubble of what relationships and love are all about..but when it goes bad...and your taking half his stuff and money that doesnt belong to you..
should he be ok with this idea..
or deal with real life relationships and how the world really works and get that signed ..so you can at least split what you own together..try to heal and keep the good times in your heart?
or is the right to half of what he owns that you dont own..something you dont want takin away?
 PayAsYouGo-Casper
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:46:06 PM
you might trust someone for ten years..but say you guys go threw a hard time and a bad break up(at this point there isnt trust)..
wheres the trust i need to protect half my stuff the other person doesnt own?
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:52:51 PM
you can always keep seperate property...

and have a prenup in the event you divorce

your covered then....
 PayAsYouGo-Casper
Msg: 51
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:56:48 PM
See..
i dont wanna have that exp..
its sad when you think of all the good times and everything you shared..
and at the end they want half of YOUR STUFF .
isnt what you shared with someone enough to walk away with having such and exp.

i dont wanna get to that and her say i want half of everything...
i wont even live with someone long enough to be common law cause they can request half your stuff as well.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:57:37 PM
msg 54.... you can keep seperate property when you marry.
Keep your own checking account.... do not get credit cards in both names
do not co mingle funds. Then the law cannot make you divide things up....
as you have kept seperate property. It is not a hard thing to do.

It is different to marry in middle age when people have assets
than when young and people generally dont have any.

ON TOPIC:
I think anyone not having one is insane
but of course there are people with no real assets so they
cant see why someone would insist on one.

getting married at 19 is a whole other ball game then getting married at 40
or 50

its like apples and oranges
 PayAsYouGo-Casper
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:58:02 PM
exactly all it is ..is security ..
for you to agree would bring a great deal of pure trust to everything..
the trust you would earn from that would surprise you.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:13:54 PM
msg 61
car payments, credit card bills and house notes are not assets
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:32:13 PM
at 19 years old ...... it should not matter much

at 19 few people have the need for a pre nup
 Northern_Nip
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:49:00 PM
Yes I would sign a prenup......but I would have a good look at it first and see if it sounds fair (being that having children would be involved).

I hope that never happens to me when I get engaged again because its a real romance killer in terms of planning a wedding and a future together. Engagements are supposed to be happy and hopefull times.

My ex fiancee asked me for a prenup which I found both insulting and un necessary because
we lived in a crappy trailer and his car was a old piece of crap and he didnt have much else.

I guess its just one of those things you have to really handle with care.
 catman40
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/18/2006 3:07:29 PM
Even if you live with someone it is a requirement . This protects you and him . IF , I owned a mansion and had 64 million in the back she could wife me out . come to think of it . even having $24 ,000 in the back she can wipe that out . take off with the house .
 DickBoston
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:43:11 PM
I would not buy a car much less drive it if I had to get car insurance - I mean that's just like setting yourself up with the expectation of an accident - Don't you trust your self? It’s insulting and self-deprecating.
It's like when I was on the hi wire with my partner - no way would I use a net - that would just give her the idea that I didn't trust her and it would create a self-fulfilling prophesy.

[It's insulting as can be because it says that he believes "money talks" when it comes to me.]

How about he wants money to not get in the way of your ability to talk? Maybe it's about being clear and fair while things are good and healthy so you don't have to let all the greedy materialistic peripherals muddy the waters if you grow apart - so when communication really is necessary you aren't distracted by dollar signs or worse using them as bartering tools like couples will sometimes use kids -

A simple pre-nup of fairness should be part of the wedding contract - we contribute 100 percent raising kids, sex, communication, finances etc and we leave with 100 percent -

If I meet you and we date and start falling in love and you have 3 cars and I have 1 - at what point should we each part with two cars?
 Balancer
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:51:46 PM
In all honesty I do believe in prenuptial agreements to some degree. I ve worked very hard in my life to have a solid career with a future. A few of my friends got married without a prenup and they've had to pay dearly. In this country woman are favored in divorce proceedings and even though they haven't been the breadwinners they come out with more then her fair share in my opinion.
 catman40
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/19/2006 6:07:17 AM
yeah . the person who does not have anything don't care what they lost it's the one WHO does have something . take me . I have built my life and poured my hard erned money into what I have . IF , a woman does not thing a pre nup is important . You are very very wrong . the person you are living with can drain your bank account , take your life and turn it upside down . I have heard the horror stoies of how this has happen . IF YOU have crap and the other person has everything . THEY WILL take everything you have . once you are burned in a bad realtion you are always fearful in your next relationship .
 sammysalt1
Msg: 96
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:37:05 AM
Question, if you have everything when you get married, and your mate has everything also. Then you all get rid of some stuff, who keeps what in the end. Say you had a big t.v. system you keep because your mate had a small one, yet why you were toghter you both got a bigger system.(So you got rid of the other one.) Now if you split up, who gets the system.
What good is a prenuptial on a matter like that?
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:39:38 AM
at 106....
whoever bought it keeps it... unless something else is agreed upon.
Should be no problem as people have reciepts of major purchases

prenup is really not for that kind of stuff.... as a big tv system is not really
an asset
It covers more your 401K, your investments... real estate and that kind of thing.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:46:41 AM
I just put that, because most people don't own much, are think of 401K, and investments. Most people are good to own one place. The things people fight over is crazy.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?