Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating Someone With A High IQ      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nymphoeorpata
Msg: 1
Dating Someone With A High IQPage 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Have you ever dated anyone with a high IQ? Does it work for you or not? What are some positives and negatives that you have experienced with it?
 Gallivanting1
Msg: 2
Dating Someone With A High IQ
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:36:44 PM
Just how do you know what their IQ is? Do you test them when you meet them? Do you carry a set of Rochard ink blot cards in your purse?

As far as I'm concerned, I would trade a dozen brainiacs for one guy with a common sense any day.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:38:40 PM
Pure intellectuals are not my thing... too heavily weighted in intellect and too little in common sense.
People have to be balanced... physical, emotional, mental, spirtual, intellectual.....

anyone too heavily weighted in one is kinda boring and too into themselves...
Look at JOCKS.

Several pure intellectuals in my family.
They tend to marry and be with other pure intellectuals. We are not talking someone just smart.... but someone with a truely high IQ who has taken full potential of that
(not some loser crying "should have, would have, could have")

I have run across some and was not interested.
 thai_paradise
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:41:21 PM
it doesn't matter how high his IQ is as long as he's well adjusted and knows how to tie his shoes. On a serious note, if he is a warm, loving, kind-hearted person that treats you right who cares if he's Albert Schweitzer. For the most part intelligent guys I've known are cold and detached and aren't very well adjusted. Most of the time they have a very low emotional IQ and don't make a very good partner in a relationship.
 JasmineKai
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:42:13 PM
I'm not sure what IQ has to do with pure intellectuals.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:43:23 PM
msg 5

if you met any.... you would know !
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:47:52 PM
cojo..... how high have you measured yours to be?
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:52:50 PM

Do you carry a set of Rochard ink blot cards in your purse?
(quietly) Umm, that's Rorschach*. And technically - the Rorschach inkblot test is a psychological projective test of personality in which a subject's interpretations of ten standard abstract designs are analyzed as a measure of emotional and intellectual functioning and integration - not an intelligence test per say.

What about dating guys who only THINK that they're smart? I'm asking this question for a friend of mine.

GE&H
* No, not that guy from Welcome Back Kotter.
 Sienna_leigh
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:56:05 PM
So frangal, you're asserting that all doctors have high IQs? - what's that based on? Frankly, I've known tons of docs who could spell superbly - it was reading their writing that was the issue.
 *Tee*
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:57:29 PM
Yes I did, one of the reasons I was attracted to him. He was a member of Mensa, and he ended up being a dork. Just because he had a high IQ didn't mean he knew anymore then anyone else about relationships...
 MuskokanMan
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:00:19 PM
high IQ eh? well, mine is somewhere around the 140 mark, not genius level, surely, but fairly high, hasnt helped me any....
 DentedKnight
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:01:13 PM
Tried it both ways. The answer is depends on how thier IQ is integrated into the rest of thier lifestyles. I've done computer work and slung garbage on the back of a truck in the dead of Canadian winter. Neither one makes me better than the other. And both of them have no bearing on whether or not I am a member of the international HiIQ society or Mensa or whatever club.

Big difference between dating an Intellectual, and someone with a High IQ. The two are NOT even close to the same.
 leafslady
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:02:05 PM
I have a reasonably high IQ..but I'm still a scatter-brain at times!

I'd prefer to see someone with an easy-going personality,who's caring and common sense shine through....And IQ can't predict that.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:02:15 PM
I am saying that a truely high IQ does not mean someone can spell and punctuate well.....
often those that are truely high IQ's (over 140) and a "true" intellectual are not even close to mentally balanced....
and you cannot be stupid.. to make it through medical school....

I have "true" intellectuals in my family (scientists). I would not say they are balanced people (forgetful, absent minded, scatterbrained) and without spell check...... I would hate to see how they spell and punctuate.

Not trying to start an arguement sienna, as I know you love that ( to argue and debate, but its not my cup of tea)
Just making my points.... you are free to believe anything you wish

msg 16. my point exactly...

to add:
I have a high IQ ( although not genuis or anything but a little higher than average) and I have dyslexia and I cant spell worth a damm... lol
 Sienna_leigh
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:02:47 PM
I once dated an engineer who was brilliant when it came to his work, physics, calculations, etc etc - but he was as stupid as a piece of hair when it came to even basic common sense things. He had no clue how to even change a tire, nor did I because I'd never done it before but it was more than just common sense. I had to actually remind him that tightening up the lug nuts was required. d'oh! He was a total and complete space cadet when it came to the basics in life - I'm sure most 8 yr olds knew more then him when it came to "real life" stuff. I found myself becoming very impatient and frustrated with the lack of common sense - such that I started to lose respect for him and I had to end the relationship. Give me a guy with street smarts and common sense, the abililty to use logic and find solutions to everyday things/situations/issues in life over a brainiac/Mensa-member anyday of the week.
 big wood
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:06:08 PM
My best relationships have been with the smartest women. I would love to date a woman with a very high IQ (any type of intellectual prowess).
 Gallivanting1
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:18:20 PM
Thanks for clearing that up GE&H. I even googled it too.
I would date a guy that thought he was that guy from Welcome Back Kotter.
 Regnis
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:41:41 PM
I'm fairly smart and have a good IQ, but I never consider it when dating. I look for a gal that has common sense and real life smarts, those are important. I know a super smart gal that do well in academia but is completely useless in a real world setting, and I am not attracted to her.
 Saturday Night Rocks
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:45:41 PM
So what if someone has a high IQ...

The REAL question is: How does THAT person make YOU feel?

Someone who flaunts their intellect for self gratification is the worst kind of bore...

On the other hand, there are some extremely bright people who can intuitively discern what type of person you are, simply by asking the right questions. They can quickly build a repore with you, and in no time, you feel like you've been friends for years! (That's what's so scary about an evil brainiac like Ted Bundy)

IQ is really too narrow of a term. Some people have fabulous artistic or musical ability, but maybe aren't that good with numbers or dry facts.

Personally, I appreciate someone who has a good sense of humor, common sense, and an ability to get along well with others.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:48:13 PM
Einstein had his wife negoitate his salary.... I read
he wasn't good at laundry or dressing himself either...
often went to work with mismatched socks and shoes

lol

and did you see his hair ?????
 wiserd
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:50:57 PM

IQ is really too narrow of a term. Some people have fabulous artistic or musical ability, but maybe aren't that good with numbers or dry facts.

Good point. So what kinds of intelligence are considered sexy?

It seems like musical ability is considered very sexy. Some girls like verbal ability, but it doesn't rate nearly as high as musical ability. Mathematical ability is a non-starter unless it can be used to make money somehow.
 Cante_Skuya
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:08:52 PM
I'm someone with an above average IQ. As many of others have said, IQ has little to do with the type of person someone is. I have a cousin who is extremely intelligent when it comes to books, but as dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to people. He has next to zero when it comes to social skills, and no compassion what so ever. As for dating someone with a high IQ, I've found that my best relationships have been with people who could keep up to me intellectually, but to be with a pure brainiac is boring.....I need someone who knows how to live life, and enjoy everything that this world has to offer, the courage to take what he knows to make this a better world and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty doing it. The latter isn't dependent on IQ.
 big wood
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:09:32 PM
If sex was only about the physical pleasure, then any woman would do, because all women are enjoyable sexually. It is a fact of nature. But sex is vastly more than sensation. A woman whose mind is great will be far more capable of great sexual experience. She has a depth and breadth others do not. There is nothing wrong or bad about relationships with less intelligent people. It is that there is something missing. Having had it before, it is hard to settle without it now. As good and as fun as someone of average intelligence may be, the relationship is limited to what they may experience. It's like the difference between knowing how to play music, and not. Two musicians will have something together that they would miss if either tried a relationship with a non-musician.
 DentedKnight
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:22:27 PM
Sorry about your apparent lack of luck sienna. Seriously, you must have an idoit magnet on you or something.

Being focused in one area can make one exclude other parts of thier life. Ie: your space cadet story, but that is uncommon. More common are lack of social interaction skills that come with focusing on intellectual pursuits.

But remember, there is a Massive difference between the skilled, the learned, and the gifted. To try to lump them together is futile. I've taught woods skills, can survive over night outside in this horrible climate (over night winter survival was required for search and rescue) know what to eat, and not. How to change a tire, or fix just about anything fixable. Can calculate most equations in my head as long as we don't get past four dimensions and still know which fork is which.

I have taught workshops and classes on computer skills and done presentations to the board of directors. More fun was helping out at the PTA and working with the little school kids.

Don't ask me the periodic table. I don't have it memorized. As Einstien once said, "Why should I memorize everthing? All I need to remember is where to look it up."

Perhaps you are looking under the wrong type of rock for the smart, but aware guy you seek. If you want them smart but aware, go look for the aware guys, then worry about if they are smart enough for you.

And just for the record, the last time I was tested my IQ was still 149. Not a genius. But smarter than your average bear.

Sorry about your luck. Keep lookin'. You'll find him someday.
 Crane Man
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:32:52 PM
fran gal, you have yet to meet a Dr. that can spell? I have yet to meet a Dr, who's writing I could read!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating Someone With A High IQ