Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating Someone With A High IQ      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 3
Dating Someone With A High IQPage 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Pure intellectuals are not my thing... too heavily weighted in intellect and too little in common sense.
People have to be balanced... physical, emotional, mental, spirtual, intellectual.....

anyone too heavily weighted in one is kinda boring and too into themselves...
Look at JOCKS.

Several pure intellectuals in my family.
They tend to marry and be with other pure intellectuals. We are not talking someone just smart.... but someone with a truely high IQ who has taken full potential of that
(not some loser crying "should have, would have, could have")

I have run across some and was not interested.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 6
Dating Someone With A High IQ
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:43:23 PM
msg 5

if you met any.... you would know !
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:47:52 PM
cojo..... how high have you measured yours to be?
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:52:50 PM

Do you carry a set of Rochard ink blot cards in your purse?
(quietly) Umm, that's Rorschach*. And technically - the Rorschach inkblot test is a psychological projective test of personality in which a subject's interpretations of ten standard abstract designs are analyzed as a measure of emotional and intellectual functioning and integration - not an intelligence test per say.

What about dating guys who only THINK that they're smart? I'm asking this question for a friend of mine.

GE&H
* No, not that guy from Welcome Back Kotter.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:02:15 PM
I am saying that a truely high IQ does not mean someone can spell and punctuate well.....
often those that are truely high IQ's (over 140) and a "true" intellectual are not even close to mentally balanced....
and you cannot be stupid.. to make it through medical school....

I have "true" intellectuals in my family (scientists). I would not say they are balanced people (forgetful, absent minded, scatterbrained) and without spell check...... I would hate to see how they spell and punctuate.

Not trying to start an arguement sienna, as I know you love that ( to argue and debate, but its not my cup of tea)
Just making my points.... you are free to believe anything you wish

msg 16. my point exactly...

to add:
I have a high IQ ( although not genuis or anything but a little higher than average) and I have dyslexia and I cant spell worth a damm... lol
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:48:13 PM
Einstein had his wife negoitate his salary.... I read
he wasn't good at laundry or dressing himself either...
often went to work with mismatched socks and shoes

lol

and did you see his hair ?????
 wiserd
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:50:57 PM

IQ is really too narrow of a term. Some people have fabulous artistic or musical ability, but maybe aren't that good with numbers or dry facts.

Good point. So what kinds of intelligence are considered sexy?

It seems like musical ability is considered very sexy. Some girls like verbal ability, but it doesn't rate nearly as high as musical ability. Mathematical ability is a non-starter unless it can be used to make money somehow.
 crystalise
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/18/2006 3:44:09 PM
I like intelligent people - but intelligence is based on many different levels. Theres social intelligence, emotional intelligence...and then your basic IQ for logic and memory application and problem solving...yada yada

I wouldnt data a NASA scientist if he wasnt capable of being warm and a little goofy. But I do like someone who has a bit of intelligence in at least some of the above areas
 aftereight
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/18/2006 3:53:02 PM
love a guy with a high IQ, not too high because they tend to become socially inept.

too much education is a bad thing. You start to gloat and use
large words to stroke your own ego. You become a bore and few people
enjoy the company of someone who's on an ego trip at your expense

wow that's a first!? they should start kicking people out of school who want to continue in the learning curve, since it appears it is "more harmful to the health than good" lol

people who gloat and try to use big words are dummies trying to appear smart.
 aftereight
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/18/2006 3:59:57 PM
An ex of mine was in london at a museum with her bf and they stood before the exhibit of the rosetta stone.

Her: "OMG - it is the rosetta stone!"
Him: "What is that?"

She dumped him shortly after :)

she sounds like a bit-chy snob, sorry.
 aftereight
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/18/2006 4:10:00 PM
@jumpy yeah I figured that much lol she was and "ex" for a reason

@Mandy speak for yourself, I would never dump a dude because he did not know what a specific hystoric artifact was...I put value on other things, Í'm not out to quiz guys on their hystoric/artistic/current events/ or trig knowledge. anyone who would dump a person because they did not know of a famous peice of art or artifact is a bit-ch as far as I am concerned.

I also hate people who say "if you don't read books then I am not interested in you" well why not? not everyone likes to read books, it's a hobbie/past time like any other. Only a person trying to be something they are not would take that snobby highroad. People are intelligent in their own way, and trully intelligent people are more accepting of others and DON'T expect others to be as gifted as they are. EQ is just as important as IQ

@Havan Joe I loved your post, I am 138 IQ myself and I agree with your 100% I can do the dumbest shiiit lol
 jeff323
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 4:16:26 PM
I have been tested twice, and both time got very high IQ number. but like others have said I have dyslexia, can't spell worth a damn, numbers are way to funny the way i write them. I do not see how someone IQ are messures to base someone smarts on. My cousin has a normale IQ and is a very smart guy. One guy i work with scored in the 160 range and is dumber then dirt, no book smarts, no street smarts, but he can paint and play music like no one else.
 aftereight
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/18/2006 4:24:11 PM

Remember too that our interest level in a particular subject also plays a role in what we know about it. I don't enjoy sports- I could not tell you things that almost everyone else in America knows about football or baseball..

@Havana your IQ is really showing, that is SO SO true.

I don't care if they have a high IQ....but they better have a BBQ....

Ladybug that was hilarious girl
 aftereight
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/18/2006 4:37:07 PM
@ Vorax that is SO true. I hate it when people tell me the same things over and over. It's so annoying. I'm always saying "ÿeah I know you were telling me that the other day...remember?" and they still keep telling the same old thing...arrrrgh!
 sammysalt1
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/18/2006 4:56:00 PM
My husband is book smart. (I am not.) He gets all the IQ questions I miss, and I get all the ones he misses. When we took the same tests and found that out. We then knew why what we have works so well. Between us we know what we are doing most of the time.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/18/2006 4:59:33 PM
Is it true that people with high intelligence tend to be introvert and more depressed than an average person? Most of the scientists I had seen in university were introvert.

I agree with that, if they haven't got their other half. Atleast mine is when I am out of the picture. (Rember I married him two times.)
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 5:10:25 PM
Hey i have a high...I Q
around the 140 mark
a reasonably high IQ
I have a high IQ
I'm fairly smart and have a good IQ
I'm someone with an above average IQ
my IQ was still 149
formally tested at 158...(now) 146
I always score just above 130
On I.Q. and other such tests I score rather high
I happen to have a 142 IQ
I am 138 IQ myself
very high IQ number
my babe's in the top 3% in our country
university honours student w/ a 160+ IQ

Wow, I thought I must be the only person with a below average IQ on this sight. That is, until I saw this:
Factoid: 80% of people believe they have a higher then average IQ

Woohoo, my 89 IQ is above 80 -- I'm above average!!! Actually I had a cold that day; the tester guy told my mum that I could score as high as 92 or 93. Since 100 is considered genius, just think how close I was. That's kind of scary. I'm kind of happy that I'm not actually a genius though, I've seen smart people who weren't nice to animals.

Anyone need any help with their math homework?

GE&H
 wiserd
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:50:41 PM

I'm a geek. I can not tell a lie. And I love math too. *blush*

And once again, the cool chicks are in canada. What gives? Are there no good Canadian men, that all the interesting Canadian women flock to this board?
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2006 8:03:21 PM

lazyboy: Ummm...Greeneye's, ahem...you're scoring 80?...ya know you are close to being near retarded.

No, not 80 - I scored 89 (with a cold). Remember that a trained testing official said that there was a likelihood of up to 92 or 93. In both your and AlbertaGirlie's rating systems, I'd test out to at least Average. Obviously I could help out the half of the world who're below average with stuff like math, how to treat dogs, etc.

cabana_boy: @ge%h, our school system had government funded mandatory iq tests every few years. it's not some percentage "factoid", but rather a matter of pubic record. not that we chose it. besides, it's got nothing to do with what makes my baby such a great person, or anyone else for that matter, which is why i'd never post an exact number. why do ppl. get threatened?

I don't understand why you're mad at me. You make me sad. I just used Vorax's quotation that said the average IQ was 80. Oh, I see - you thought that I was bragging because I was 9 to 13 points above average. Hmmm, yep - you're right. That was unnecessary of me and probably made me seem like some sort of brainiac blowhard.

To whom I offended: I'm truly sorry if I seemed like I was bragging about my IQ; that was not my intent. I don't believe in that testing anyway.

To get back onto the original topic...

I guess I hope that I'd keep an open mind on the whole higher-IQ thing, but would be pretty nervous talking to someone much over 100.

GE&H
 Antagonist
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/18/2006 10:15:57 PM

i don't care if they have a high IQ....but they better have a BBQ

HAHAHAHA!
 windowshopping04
Msg: 99
Posted: 3/19/2006 3:47:31 AM
I've dated people with high IQ's, but low EQ's... that didn't work out well...
I've dated people who believed they had high IQ's, but still didn't seem well versed in social skills... still didn't work well...
I enjoy intelligence in others, but I enjoy it more when it is packaged with social skills and consideration for others.

Those whom I've known with exceptionally high IQ's seem to have trouble finding not just dates, but friends. The ones with exceptionally high IQ's and EQ's become chameleons and can blend in with any group/any intelligence level for a given time (generally, until they lose interest).

I've been told by psychologists that, in general, we are usually most attracted to and compatible with those who are within +/-20 points of our own IQ. Since I haven't ever asked any of my friends to take IQ tests, I have no idea if this is true or not.
 zig02
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:10:34 PM
Of course it's true that IQ doesn't equal intelligence - and I agree with the points already made, that a good memory and articulate speech also play a part in what we consider to be intelligence...

I have to admit that I find intelligence exhilarating - I love to listen to someone whose mind is on a higher level than mine. It's exciting.

I once worked in a place where there were more intelligent people than I had encountered in my whole life - I can't say they necessarily got along with one another, or that they were necessarily fair to one another, but in some ways that was one of the best experiences of my life. They were also very funny.
 marita_b
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2006 9:39:17 AM
Men don't like smart women,...that was taught to me way back when,...

and guess what,..it's still true,....I wish it weren't but it is,...

the only place they like someone who actually has a brain,....
is in a movie and then only if the other body parts are of equal or greater size,...
 marita_b
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2006 10:06:13 AM
it ain't easy being green is it???????

welcome to my world,...
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Dating Someone Wearing Hai Karate
Posted: 3/20/2006 2:54:58 PM
cabana boy,

I didn't want to lay it out too obviously, but I was just helping show how insecure some people were by (only) listing their high IQs and what a high opinion of themselves they had. This especially applies to the ones who wrote about their high IQ and then said that it's not important. Seems curious to list it then, doesn't it? Many of these people said nothing and were just bragging about their IQs under the guise of providing relevant information. Inadvertantly and ironically, they did provide information - they didn't sound very date-worthy. Probably not what they were going for.

But what do I know - I got owned by a dog when I was trying to put on my boots this morning. Here's some advice: don't pet a dog like crazy and get her all worked up, and then try to put your boots on unmolested.

Then again, that's just my opinion from the shallow end of the pool,
GE&H

PS - If I were to do it again, I'd leave off the last two as they don't fit with the rest. Sorry that yours was one of them.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating Someone With A High IQ