Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Mods, Rockers or Punks...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chess Bored
Msg: 12
Mods, Rockers or Punks...Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Never a mod...Always a rocker...sort of a punk...dress sense..

Music wise...like something of mods and punk..(as have eclectic tastes)though Rock music is more me...
 jazzgal
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Mods, Rockers or Punks...
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:36:05 AM
Red Bull!!

as an ex rock chick I would have to say rockers.....although I can't shake my head as much nowerdays
 Kid Wicked
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/28/2006 1:52:42 AM
maiden!!!
priest!!!
motorhead!!!
def leppard!!

need i say more?

k.w.
canada
 Chess Bored
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/2/2006 8:14:42 AM
back @ ya kid wicked ..glad you didn't say AC/DC..At unsure whether Arthur or Martha?...(Bi-Sexual as name sugeests) & especially what scottish bluebell says about Mods...Though Blondie was known as a punk band..can't see it myself !?, especially since parents where singinging it around us kids...must mean only one thing it wasn't punk as i know it..not enough agression...

Apparently the only punk band(the most mainstream heard of bands this is) that existed for me where the Pistols with anti-establishment messages..that was punk..bringing down conformists.
 bootielicious
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2007 3:49:47 PM
I remember wearing a Harrington Jacket and pipe jeans as a child. Someone stole my jacket at Silver blades ice rink in Brum and that was the end of that. Then at 15 I joined venture scouts and the leader was also a DJ, but only played what he liked which was rock, so I was transformed lol. So I guess rock chick!
 stonecastle
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 2:59:48 AM
I got into the punk scene from 1984 to 1989 because some of my mates I used to hang about with were punks. A few of my mates at school in the late seventies and early eighties were into youth cults but I didn't get into it at the time. I remember many parents were horrified at the punks because of the outrageous way they dressed.

I remember it was a violent time too in the late seventies and early eighties when youth cults were at their height because punks used to fight mods. And sometimes mods used to fight sknheads and casuals. By 1984 though youth cult rivalry had died down a lot mainly due to the rise of scooter boys or scooterists which included a mixture or mods, skins and a few punks and casuals. This website here www.punk77.co.uk gives a big insight into the early punk scene from 1976 to 1979.
 Loose_end
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 3:19:07 AM
"We are the Mods"

Bands like The Jam really opened my very young and impressionable mind to some of the best music you're ever likely to hear. The Kinks epitomise everything i could want from a band. (except maybe Chrissie Hynde dressed in her leathers)

Punk was o.k, but it just became a parody once the 80's kicked in.

As for the Rockers, well they had Buddy Holly didnt they, if he'd lived i believe he would have become the greatest Musician/songwriter of all time bar none. The true King of Rock & Roll

Now where did i put my fishtail.........
 restless_native
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 4:05:07 AM
Here's a puzzler.

The Who. Probably one of the biggest icons of the MOD genre. But if they don't play rock music I'm not sure I know what rock is.

I find there are far to many grey areas with music for me to fall neatly into any pigeonhole.
Every genre has it's good and bad. I prefer to cherry pick the best bits from all of them.

Apart from Jazz. People who can't play a proper tune making it up as they go along. What's that all about?
 stonecastle
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 3:38:42 PM

The Who. Probably one of the biggest icons of the MOD genre. But if they don't play rock music I'm not sure I know what rock is. I find there are far to many grey areas with music for me to fall neatly into any pigeonhole.
The Who played heavy rock style music, not late 50s style rock'n'roll which the sixties rockers listened to. This thread is confusing because it mentions rockers. There are two types of rockers the 1960s rockers who were the follow on from the Teds who still listened to rock'n'roll but brought in new fashions such as leather jackets and rode motorbikes. Then there are the heavy rockers who appeared right at the end of the 1960s and who listened to more modern heavy rock music. Two seperate cults but with the same name.
 MisterEddy
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/9/2008 8:34:27 PM
Man, I envy you all, I wish I had bee born during those years to experience life at the time. One of my favorite movies depicting this era is "SLC Punk" if anyone has ever seen it. I definitely would have been a punk, since I already dress punkish/metal-headish and listen to heavy music. Of course, I think going backwards a decade and being a greaser would be even better!
 oggers
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2008 12:05:06 AM
I was a bit of a chameleon I think .. never totally into any of those three groups, but enjoyed dipping into all types of music (and to some extent cultures), in addition to the hippy music ..
However I think that one or two people are confusing "punk" with "new wave" music ...
Now I find that I can listen to almost any kind of music from Jack Jones , grace Slick and Generation X, to Delibes and Wagner ,,, depends on the mood !! And the woman I am with ....
 skiptalker
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2008 11:49:51 AM
them mods..they make me laugh..on the piddly 2 stroke scoots you want to see them crap themselves when i pass a load of them on my bike at 100 mph...rockers rule.
 Talk4England
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2008 12:09:15 PM
Too young for the first Mod/Rocker wave so:
Don't forget the original skinheads .Nothing better than going to the Bridge on a weekend in Martins, skinny jeans & a Ben Sherman. Bopping in the eve to reggae & ska. Then we went suedehead for while - crombies & fuzz for hair. 1969-1971.
Come '71/72ish we all went 'glam' - Bowie & Bolan mainly to blame - first dip into ethereal music, eyeliner & lipstick. Wearing me mothers curtains!! Made life uncomfortable at the Bridge!
1975/6 - life!! Punk started to happen - though we didn't call it that at first. Punk/New Wave will always be the most identifying 'culture' /music for me. Esp. Joe Strummer & all. Goth started to happen about '78 then too but again never called it that & I never got into it as did many of my mates. Chelsea having a bad patch so up the Kings Road not the Fulham Road on a Saturday!
Then did flirt with the second Mod wave 79/80 but ended up a New Romantic - easier to catch the pretty girls and got kicked out of the squat.
Great to see all these subcultures still exist to an extent.
Now will probably end up a rocker as about to buy a cruiser! Fickle eh.
 stonecastle
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2010 8:36:51 AM
I used to be a punk back in the 1980s. Some famous ex punks are Liz Hurley, Kirsty Macall, Simon Le Bon and Kevin Rowland who all started off their musical careers playing in punk bands except for Liz Hurley who was merely a punk fan.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/30/2010 10:40:28 AM
I'm a Motown maniac myself.
 stonecastle
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 6:32:46 AM
This thread gives me an idea. How about a kareoke night at one of the plenty of fish parties where people can sing their favourite songs from their past.
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2011 11:45:39 AM
its a Mod mod world here

Vespa owner & regular Dj at Scooter club do's ,

the main comment made by Biker friends who come along is how diverse the music is - compared to the Biker rallies [ nowt but 'hard rock' it seems] ,

Btw - Rosieroo - hop on a pirate ship and go across the water on August Bank holiday - you will find about 10,000 of us in Ryde !!!!!
 ObjectStupidity
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/26/2011 8:06:54 AM
Mod.... although saying that im a dyed in the wool 'biker' since i was 17.

Love the mod/scootering scene though an given time will do the scooter rallies on an old Lambretta i own...just love the music and 'attitude free' scene.
 -potbob-
Msg: 76
Posted: 1/31/2012 12:48:54 PM
so all the mod punks and the rockers out ther have a beer for me and get laed
 isseycat
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2012 1:09:22 PM
i was a skinhead chick stroke glam rocker in the seventies and like bootilicous i used to go skating at silver blades ice rink in brum, ska, reggae, motown, bowie, slade, wizard, sweet, northern souls were my food for some very wild nights out
 drewcornwall
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2012 5:41:54 AM
Alway have loved the Jam and the WHO... "going underground" the fred perry shirts! yup! Mod.

Now adays I have turned into a mod`ern biker!. Linkin Park Yes!
 ir82
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2012 6:29:42 AM
I still am a punk, well into the music anyway and go to the big festivals such as Rebellion. I don't sit on street corners drinking cider all day though!.

Most my mates are also into punk music and I guess that is is a big influence on me, I was already into punk and indie and gradually got introduced to Ska through my mates and clubbing. As I get older I seem to get more into the punk scene and I don't care what people say, it is not dead!.

I do also have a love for Indie music as well, which is probably looked down on by some, but you can't beat a bit of Smiths or the Cure. Of course a lot of indie is heavily influenced by punk anyway.
 stonecastle
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2012 8:31:43 AM
By the way talking of punk, one of the most under-rated punk bands were Teenage Head from Canada, listen to this real gem of a song from their first album in 1978: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGkuz4SyMYY

"Well I spend my money 'cuz I don't care
I hoard my dollars 'cuz I won't share
It's a time to communicate, a time to be shrewd
A time to liberate, a time to be rude
uh oh, uh oh, uh oh, aint got no sense, uh oh, uh oh."
 ObjectStupidity
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/2/2012 4:11:10 PM
Although i love riding an messing with bikes its the music scene assoc with scooters that does it for me...
In all the years ive been going to various scooter meets ive never seen an real aggro...maybe the odd heated exchange but the following morning everyone is bessie mates with handshakes all round...
Biker rallies on the other hand just seem to be populated by little fat men with goatee beards, riding either a streetfighter or crappy jap custom all wearing the same black jeans an leather waist coat carryon...trying to be the 'bad ass' type throwing glares an narrowed eyes in all directions...most of the 'female' bikers also seem to be fat, pudgy n looking rather grubby...

Naaaa i ride a bike but the scooter scene is by far the best an the music/rallies are tops

Never had owt to do with punks... seems a strange lot all trying to be individual but yet being the same...hmmmm
 Broken Meat
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2012 8:20:18 PM
Technically Post Punk.

Born too late for punk but I embraced the subcultures that emerged in it's wake goth/industrial/ebm and such.

I must however contradict myself and add that despite my doing so I prefer not to label myself... labels are limiting, subculture at it's best is liberating imo.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Mods, Rockers or Punks...