Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Godless Liberal + Christian Conservative = ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 phoenixman
Msg: 5
Godless Liberal + Christian Conservative = ?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Maybe you can turn her to the dark side. It happened to Anikan.
 mustangsally1273
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Godless Liberal + Christian Conservative = ?
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:24:00 PM
People who believe in religion seem to be the same ones thatbelieve in Santa and the Easter Bunny...I believe in DUST BUNNIES, and that they bite! (I have the scars)....Don't bother try to bother mixing the two if she is that fanatical, unless you want endless debates...
 bravado55
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:53:11 PM
Dude....you like her because her Christian faith makes her attractive. Her beauty is from within because God the Creator of the Universe has a near place in her heart. She will not find your non-belief empty existentialism atheism of any value or worth....not that you are not valuable..you certainly are....but your Godless Liberalism is way too devoid of any life for her to be attracted to. You don't stand a chance of having her or someone like her....
BTW...the J-man JESUS is the Life you need inside.... Believe and Receive......darkness has no place when the light shines in......SHE dont want darkness dude....
 designingwoman
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2006 9:18:59 PM
I don't think it will work out in the long run. But I do feel that the girl could still be your friend.

Even though I am a liberal Catholic, I have a few friends of a more conservative political persuasion. As friends we do not have to talk politics, and we generally don't because we have other common interests. However, I prefer my mate to be someone who is also politically liberal. Religion to me is a more personal matter, and as long as his approach to religion is moderate, I don't care what faith he practices or even practices one at all.

Frankly, I think that Christian conservative is an oxymoron because Jesus asked us to take care of the poor. Hardly the message of today's conservative political movement IMHO. But I am veering a little bit here. Rev 0218's post above says what I am trying to say better than I could.

Back on topic, I do feel that when people have strongly held, opposing beliefs, that serious conflict is inevitable. I'd simply rather just be casual friends with someone who has strongly opposite views. I would recommend that the OP proceed with extreme caution.
 bravado55
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:45:59 AM
"I think that Christian conservative is an oxymoron because Jesus asked us to take care of the poor. Hardly the message of today's conservative political movement IMHO."

There are many good Christian organizations that help the poor and needy......building orphanages in Romania, drilling water wells in Africa, feeding programs in Haiti etc.....
Christians throughout the centuries have opened hospitals, brought aid to sick and starving humans and founded schools and colleges....this work continues to this day. Unfortunately the Mainstream Media focuses only on the negative depictions of Christianity....and while there are some money hungry grubbers and perverts in christian garb these examples the Media overly magnifies and the real true christians and the work go unheralded. Certainly Jesus implores us to care for the poor....very true. He also said 'what we do to the least of these we do to Him'. Since the unborn qualify in this category if we kill unborn babies via abortions it's like we are killing Him too. Previous societies have perished due to debauchery like the Roman Empire and Nazi Germany to name a few.....conservative christians love our country and citizens and want to preserve it. Killing babies is like a holocaust which kills innocent life.... would Jesus support or oppose abortions?
 bravado55
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:59:17 AM
"If she has never talked openly to an intelligent atheist, this could at least get her to start questioning her beliefs."

Not if she has this scripture as her foundation, "The fool has said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 14:1

She wouldn't think mate swapping was very smart either too. Who wants an STD or your mate sampling other fruits.....they may like that new fruit a lot better than yours.....

BTW as a guy....let me say that christian conservative women are so much more appealing than liberal atheists....why?...because beauty comes from within to without.....
God beautifies...atheism uglifies.......just speaking my mind and my opinion.....
 bravado55
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/22/2006 10:16:30 AM
"Just FYI, most people find me to be more beautiful inside than out"

That's exactly how God sees you too. Why would you shut God out of your life then? Your life could be Ohhhhhh sooooooo much more than you are settling for sweet girl.
 bravado55
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/22/2006 1:05:09 PM
ALL.....regardless of your experiences or perceptions of organized religion the true life from within comes from a relationship with God through Jesus......it worked for me....an ex hippie, pot smoking, sex seeking ignorant schmuck really....having giving my heart to Jesus made a BIG difference.....changes your perspective and lots of inner peace....would not ever go back to the old empty life.
Not preaching here...just sharing.....love all you on here.....
 bandbabe
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/22/2006 1:17:14 PM
I don't believe that religon is even the issue here....RESPECT is. Good relationships come from respecting the others views and opinions because that is inherently what makes them who they are. If you care about her as a person and enjoy what you share together, then things can work until children come along. I, personally, would make the choice to keep it at friendship because it is more difficult to date if two people are too far from the middle. The bottom line: Keep your respect and you keep your relationship not matter how serious it is.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:04:00 PM
Well I don't exactly "fit" my label of a southern baptist. It's my personal faith and just that. I have dated men of all religious faith and NO religious faith. I also dated a buddhist (spelling) and we had interesting discussions that WERE just discussions, nothing passionate just sharing of ideas. It was totally respectful of the other's beliefs, not trying to shove, convince, win over the other person.I also have long time friendships with agnostics and atheists. We rarely discuss religion at all and usually just in passing. A comment here or there. It has never interferred with our friendship. They know how i feel about christianity and that's the basic tenet of loving and accepting people AND respecting the decisions that they make. I put no pressure on them, they put no pressure on me. It's akin to discussing what type of car you drive and why. I don't like Fords, owned a few I like my Chrysler. I could talk about Ford with someone without getting inflamed and passionate about it. I can discuss my religious beliefs and faith if it's a discussion and sharing of ideas. I can, I don't NEED to.
I'm just saying that it IS possible to have two people of different religious or NO religious beliefs to interact and have a long, happy relationship. As in most things, it depends on those two people. If you're that interested, it may be worth at least talking to her and getting a sense of how she thinks.
 designingwoman
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:55:47 PM
Re Msg #50.

Well said, Rev. I really like how you put that. I am also Catholic, like Sen. Kerry, but I do not go along with the Religious Wrong (thank you Rev), just because I am Catholic. Sen. Kerry does not preach in people's faces about faith but as the Rev said well he served his church all his life. I have deep respect for Sen. Kerry because he served honorably in Vietnam and then his country as a senator. On the other hand, Dubya went AWOL from the National Guard and is making a mockery of both Christianity and the White House.

I am proudly a liberal AND a Christian. Jesus was a liberal in his time, and I believe He would like what the progressive politicians are standing for--taking care of the poor, taking care of His Father's creation (our Earth & environment), and taking care of those in need of help--students, veterans, the elderly and the like. This is a loving agenda vs the mean spirited and evil agenda of the far right that CLAIMS to be but truly is NOT Christian in any way shape or form.

I would have a hard time dating a religious conservative because his beliefs would be so diametrically opposed to what I consider to be truly Christian values. I would say to the OP, if you want to be friends I am sure it could work out okay but anything more than friends, I do have some doubts about this. If she is only moderately religious it could work out fine, if she's very religious it may be more difficult.

Bucsgirl has a great approach toward religion. A moderate approach works quite well because then the people involved can enjoy each other's company without worrying about the religious differences. To me living a life of integrity and goodness matters more than what church a person attends, or even if he believes in God.

Frankly, I would much rather be with someone without religious affiliation who is politically progressive than someone who is a Christian conservative. The nonreligous person would have the same values as me. To me the one who is nonreligious but has true progressive values would be more Christlike in his attitudes than some of those right-wing nuts out there who SAY they are Christian but don't ACT it.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/23/2006 10:23:01 AM
Go ahead and ask her out... nothing to lose, really. In fact, you could be a "rebel" by not being so conservative, and at the same time, not being Christian.

However, I wouldn't convey yourself or think that you're a "Godless Liberal". First, the term "liberal" has changed its definition to borderline communistic in recent years... It means, especially to conservatives, that you're without tradition, soft, and support bad people. Secondly, "Godless" -- no. That'd be like telling a Nascar fan "I hate Nascar". It's a term that implies something worse than it is.

I don't recommend persuing her. When it comes to people like that, it usually means they have emotional problems when not surrounded by religion. It's a sense of purpose they rely on, rather than having a belief in. I think if they are preaching in public that they love Christian boys, it's a clue. It's straight-up being conditioned.

Anyway, if you do persue her, don't mention politics, religion, or sex. It's the cardinal rule!

When the topic does come up, let her know that you're not apathetic about the subject, but you're not extreme either(unless you actually are). Just say you don't use any religious belief system to know what's good and bad, or to inspire you to do the right things in life, and that you just aren't very conservative, in the political sense...

You may want to mention to her that a girl like her isn't right for you, but something inside you wants to know more about Jesus. That may make her chase ya with the Holy Ghost. ;)
 designingwoman
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2006 2:34:37 PM
Differences in faith can be overcome if both parties are only moderately religious. Political differences could never be overcome in my case because I cannot deal with right wing conservatives. I would never be compatible with anyone who is politically conservative because their views upset me so much. I am Catholic, but I'll take a politically liberal Jew, Hindu, or whatever any day over a conservative Catholic. My politics are far more important to me than my religion in that my politics are derived from my personal values.

After all, Christianity comes from Judaism, and Jesus Himself was Jewish, so I can easily be with someone who is Jewish. So I am more willing to let go of religious differences than I am of political differences. I hate debating politics with conservatives--it's no fun. It's more fun to talk politics with a kindred spirit.

So, with that said, I do have friends who happen to be conservative--but we avoid talking politics. There's enough else out there in the world to discuss with those friends.

But there's nothing like having a cup of joe with my liberal friends and sharing a laugh.
 designingwoman
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2006 10:50:45 AM
Conservative and Christian is an oxymoron. One cannot be socially conservative and TRULY follow the teachings of Christ. Christ said to take care of the poor, and conservatives generally help themselves and rich people.
 kings kid
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:07:26 AM
tbonetx - that was very well said .Jesus is the way the truth and the life .God say your either hot or cold or i'll spit uyou out of my mouth.God has no use for a half way christain.God love you ppl he Sent his only son to die on th cross for us all.Some trust in him and other reject him.But the bible say ye must be bornagain or you will not see the kingdom of God .Ask God to show you that truth, love a a sister in Christ.
 kings kid
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:16:38 AM
well buscgirl,the bible speaks very clearly that were no to be unequally yoke the unbeliever.It also say make no frindship with the world it is enmity with GOD.Not to debate what your saying ,But it not our opinion as Christain but to be Christ like.That would be to floow the bible. Trust me I'm not judging here ,Just stating the bible and saving this young man soul with truth ,TRUST JESUS TODAY,THERE NO PROMISE TO CHANGE , BUT THERE IS A PROMISE FOR A HOME IN HEAVEN IF YOU WOULD TRUST jESUS AS YOUR PERSONAL SAVIOUR TODAY.GOD LOVES
 bucsgirl
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:26:10 AM
kings You're preaching to the choir, hon. Being christ like means loving and accepting people as they are. Jesus ate and associated with unbelievers, remember? He dared to lunch with the tax collector the most despised sinner of all. It was the Pharisees and the other legalists who scolded him and he said he was about His Father's business.
I am totally comfortable with how I live my life and the friends that I have in my life. I love and accept them and don't try to foster or force my beliefs on them. That works for me. I am not about to debate or argue the point, as this is the totally inappropriate venue. If you consider that unchristlike you're welcome to have your own opinion. I suggest you read the ENTIRE bible I honestly don't think you have a clear picture of what being christlike truly is based on what you said here, your quotes are taken out of context.
 kings kid
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:29:30 AM
I TOTALLY AGREE AND I HAVE A FRIEND THAT JUST GOT SAVED THAT CALS JESUS CHRIST j.C. AND I'M GOING TO TELL HER THIS WEEK HOW DISRESPECTFULLY THAT IS,
 kings kid
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:45:39 AM
BUSCGIRL,I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE AND I APOLOGIZE IF I CAME ACROSS THAT WERE NOT TO FELLOWSHIP AT ALL WITH UNBELIEVERS .bUT DATING IS ANOTHER STORY WAS WHAT I'AM SAYING .WE ARE TO BEFRIEND THE UNSAVED TO MINISTER TO THEM AND SHOW THEM THE LOVE OF GOD . SO AGAIN I'M SORRY FOR APPLYING THAT WERE NOT HANG AROUND TO BECOME LIKE THEM .WE SHOULD ALLOW BE THE INPUT OF ENERGY .OR YOU WILL BECOME WHO OU SPEND TIME WITH. YES JESUS DID MINISTER TO THOSE PPL BUT HE WAS NOT DATING THEM .BEFRIEND AND SHOWING THE LOVE OF GOD. BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN WE ARE BETTER GOD LOVES US ALL.BUT WE HAVE A PUPOSE IN THIS LIFE TO SEEK AND TO SAVE THAT WHICH IS LOST. AND PPL DON'T CARE HOW MUCH YOU KNOW BUT UNTIL THEY KNOW HOW MUCH YOU CARE. BUSCGIRL ARE YOU BORNAGAIN?
 bucsgirl
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:52:54 AM
kings I appreciate your comments, but let's get back on topic. This is best discussed in the religion forum.
I totally agree that it's not just the belief, but how tolerant they are of those who believe differently. It is really telling to read this thread, how prevalent the intolerance for those of differing beliefs.
 designingwoman
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2006 10:20:57 PM
Felinessa hit the nail on the head with her fine essay above. Thank you!

I am Roman Catholic by birth but have some beliefs that are part Episcopal and Orthodox along with a little bit of Roman rite belief.

Religion isn't quite as simplistic as all Christians are conservative. There are many like me who are proudly liberal. An atheist can be a conservative or a liberal. It all depends on that person's worldview.

People can use logic to derive their beliefs. I have done this to help me to believe in God. I believe that God triggered the Big Bang, and the universe developed from there. Before the Big Bang, there's no way there could have been nothing. Something had to trigger the Big Bang, and I believe that to be God. Others may derive other logic for not believing in God or being agnostic. Logic helps strengthen whatever one's beliefs are, and I am not about to tell anyone else what their religion should be. That's a personal matter.

Cheers!
DW
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/27/2006 9:08:23 AM
perfectlyme,

There simply can't be an "intellectual" defence of atheism as it is a faith based system.

If you go by the proper definition of atheism, there sure is an intellectual defense of being atheistic, and no, it's not a faith based system (a-theism, meaning lacking theism). All atheism means is LACKING a belief in a god or gods. Technically, you can be Buddhist and be an atheist, when you are one who doesn't incorporate a god into your belief system.

Atheism is not a faith based system. All it means is that you lack a belief in a god. An atheist COULD have a set of beliefs based on faith of their own, sure. But atheism itself is *not belief system at all*, and the word itself does not mean "what I think atheists think, or what my preacher tells me they think".

But to understand that would take the wind out of some devout conservative Christians' sails.

So if you don't define atheism in that proper context as I described above, then what would you call someone who has no religious, faith-based belief system, and doesn't believe in any gods or monsters?
 designingwoman
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2006 4:51:00 PM
When God said, "Let there be Light", the Big Bang was triggered, and to make a long story short, here we are.

Science is an enhancement rather than a detriment to my faith. I believe that God designed us to evolve over time, so I believe both in God and evolution.

To me without science there is no faith. There is no faith without science. They are part of one another as we learn more about God's creation.

Logic helps my faith as well.

With that said people have a right to believe as they wish, just as long as they don't try to convert everyone else. Everyone has their own spiritual needs.

However I am still baffled by those who call themselves Conservative Christians. They are in conflict with one another. Social conservatism is the opposite of Christ's teachings, which are inclusive and ask us to love one another.

Blessings to all,

DW
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/27/2006 5:48:25 PM
perfectlyme,

You can also find the definition of "slut" meaning an untidy woman, and you can find the word "atheist" to also mean wicked. Defintions can be relative and dictionaries can carry along historical definitions for reference.

My point is that atheism means you lack a belief in the existence of any gods. You can add "hating god" like some people do, or "believing that god can't exist" like some people do ... but then it just begs the question -- What do you call those who merely don't subscribe to any religious belief or have any belief in a god? But that's just definition stuff.

An atheist who was ignorant of the concept of a God or Gods could "lack a belief" but once aware of the question to be neutral to the question or "lack a belief" one would have to "lack a belief" in God and "lack a belief" there is no God to not to have assumed a faith as to the outcome of the question.

I see what you're saying, but I have to disagree. Do you have a faith-based belief that there are no elves living inside the core of the Sun, eating potato chips as we speak? I have now made you aware of such a belief system, and if you choose to disbelieve that there are elves living inside the core of the Sun eating potato chips presently, that does not mean you now have faith-based belief system that there aren't any.

It is not a faith-based belief, because it is merely lacking a belief. Lacking a belief does NOT mean it is in itself a faith based belief, because "you can't disprove it". I think that is where we disagree. However, with my example, you can disprove it.

I don't need any leap of faith to refrain from believing that elves are living inside the core of the Sun eating potato chips. I can merely discard the notion, without needing any *mere* belief system or have "faith" that it really isn't true.

An Agnostic is also an Atheist. He is a weak atheist (agnostic), whereas a strong atheist is one who concludes that God cannot exist. A strong atheist carries some burden of proof.

Someone who concludes that there is no evidence of a god or gods to rationally believe in, justifying their conclusion *without* using faith, does *not* have a faith-based belief system.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/27/2006 6:26:14 PM
perfectlyme,

I think I should make myself more clear here, given it some thought and consideration even about the term "faith".

There simply can't be an "intellectual" defence of atheism as it is a faith based system.

All this time I have been assuming that "faith-based belief", implies that "faith" does not mean merely a belief when used in this context. Otherwise, it would be redundant.

Therefore, I am going on the definition that faith means holding a belief in something while lacking the *required* evidence to validate it as being true.

You make the argument that an atheist or agnostic cannot prove that there is no God (a supreme intellectual BEING that created and controls the universe with a personality and other things we define a 'being' to be).

However, that does not make an atheist or agnostic hold faith-based beliefs.

The burden of proof is on one who claims that there is a God, when required evidence is clearly lacking that there is one (hence, faith). Although I cannot disprove that no Gods can exist, does not mean I hold faith to a position that I cannot presently believe in one. Why? Because the burden of proof is not on me -- I have the required evidence to hold the position that one does not prove to be in existence, and I do not require evidence to validate that position. Therefore, no "faith" is required.

Just because someone holds a position about a faith-based belief, does not mean their position itself is faith-based.

However, I will give you that many people can have a faith-based belief, resulting in the disbelief of another faith-based belief. A Methodist or Catholic could have a faith-based position that Mormonism is untrue, by basing it on their religion. However, a Methodist or Catholic could have a non-faith based position that Mormonism is untrue, by substantiating that position NOT on their religion and honestly setting it aside.

Point is, a faith-based belief requires a lack of evidence required to substantiate that belief.

Also, if you disagree with my usage of the word "faith", then all beliefs are faith-based. If so, then there can't be an "intellectual" defense of ANYTHING, which is untrue (based on the definition of intellectual).
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Godless Liberal + Christian Conservative = ?