Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > who do rate as the best guitarists in the world      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 storm38
Msg: 1
who do rate as the best guitarists in the worldPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
l think gary moore is brilliant he can nearly make his guitar talk. eddie van halen incredible .and slash great guitarist can play so many different styles. just wondering what peoples thoughts are
 miss_fit
Msg: 2
who do rate as the best guitarists in the world
Posted: 3/23/2006 11:46:01 PM
Do they have to be living or can it be dead ones too????
 storm38
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/24/2006 1:32:47 AM
alive or dead.l forgot about hendrix he was brilliant
 miss_fit
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/24/2006 4:55:46 AM
Bugger it, you beat me to it!^^^^^^
 ‡ Åߥ§§ ‡
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/24/2006 11:13:10 PM
How could you forget ANGUS YOUNG from AC/DC he rips it up
Eric clapton.. acoustic geneus
Jimmy page.. rock guitar god
Jimi hendrix..guitar genius
Carlos Santana...a living legend
 longte
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/24/2006 11:29:10 PM
Lenny Breau
Hendrix
Eric Clapton
BB King
Eddy Van Halen
Steve VAi
Joe Satriani
Danko Jones
David Gilmour
Stevie Ray VAughan
Jimmy Page
Mark Knofler

Better stop
But could have kept going as there are so many great ones
 vinski
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:40:18 AM
....not to mention gerry garcia...
 libraness
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/26/2006 6:19:13 PM
Carlos Santana hands down!!!

oops, get that thought outta your heads now!!! lol

but i love his music, style... and always will
 longte
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/26/2006 6:59:28 PM

"Dreamcatcher
hendrix wasnt actually that good a guitar player...... (ok stop yelling)"

But you are forgeting one very important thing
What makes someone great at something, is not just their technical ability

There are thousands of great guitar players
The technical ability of many of these is awesome

What seperates the Best from the Great is simply Their ability
To introduce new things
To make you become Part of the music
To Hold you enthralled
 storm38
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:14:13 PM
dream anybody who can play a tune behind there back is good
 pepper2
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:28:08 PM
has to be Tommy Emmanuel
 dreamofmirrors
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/27/2006 5:43:19 PM
I'm glad SOMEONE finally mentioned Tommy Emmanuel. I can understand people not recognising true masters for lack of exposure and Australia's relative isolation but far out... how can any of you rate the likes of Angus Young, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix in even remotely the same league as Tommy Emmanuel?

Anyway yeah, Tommy gets my vote as the world's #1 acoustic guitarist without contest. Other awesome ones include Doyle Dykes, Alex De Grassi, Pierre Bensusan, Bruce Mathiske (another great Aussie guitarist), Leo Kottke, Kaki King (yes, a female on the list!) and the late Michael Hedges. That's in terms of overall mastery of the guitar as a musical instrument, not just a technical instrument. As far as pure technical brilliance it's impossible to go past Eliot Fisk but his works are very lacking in feeling.

Electric guitarists... personal favourite is John Petrucci. His elite musicianship is amazing enough but the songs he writes with Dream Theater are some of the most powerful and moving works I've ever heard. For those who would argue the likes of Kirk Hammett and Dave Gilmour being better, keep in mind Dream Theater have played shows where they perform entire albums by Metallica, Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd and Petrucci handles it all without breaking a sweat. Other utterly amazing guitarists worthy of the utmost possible respect are Rusty Cooley (now with Outworld), Michael Angelo Batio (not only freakishly fast but ambidextrous and can play two guitar necks at once no joke), Mattias Eklundh (lord of the harmonics and crazy natural effects, he's by far the most innovative electric guitarist ever in my opinion) and Tony MacAlpine (not only able to keep perfect pace with Steve Vai on tour during crazy twin-guitar solo runs but he's just as good on piano as well.)

If you're ready to leave the lower echelon where Santana reigns supreme and you want an introduction to the next level of guitarist you should easily enough be able to find a couple CDs by Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Dream Theater are becoming increasingly available as well which is a great sign. Alternately you can check out www.guitar9.com where albums by Mattias Eklundh (amongst many others) are available.
 adzmisfit
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/27/2006 6:15:21 PM
the guy whos been playin in his garage for 20 years and nobody will ever hear.why is it always the gutarists what about bassist its a technical instrument in its own right so my vote for best bassist is BILLY SHEEHAN who played with david lee roth and mr big he can out do the stuff that guys like vai do on guitar.best gutarist ever has to be satch he taught some of the greats including steve vai and kirk hemant (from metallica) .hes just amazingly smooth on the geetar
 storm38
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/27/2006 9:41:54 PM
and joe walsh of the eagles brilliant guitarist
 oddsocks
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/28/2006 2:19:00 AM
what do you think of ted nugent............outward bound?
 blewbyu
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/28/2006 10:15:51 AM
Undeniably there have been many GREAT guitarists, quite a few so-so/pretty good ones, sung and unsung that plod in the shadows agonizing over the next riff. I happen to play GREAT AIR guitar in the shower no less. However I digress. There have been a few great players who were also showmen (ie:Pete Townsend, Hendrix et al.) There are also many guitarists who are pretty good but have no peresonality on stage (so into the music, maybe dunno) (ie:Mick Taylor ex-Stone). Keith Richard is a very fine rythm and fill player player but not all that great at lead. Suppose that's the price paid for toooo much fun, huh. The other names mentioned here Satriani (very tech) Van Halen (truly tech and innovative) Speed players (list tooo long) and the assorted that do a journeyman's job (very accomplished at their STYLE of playing)
If it's great guitar players you're looking for please examine those outside the ROCK genre. Most of the reference I saw here came from that catagory. Players who are and have been truly diverse, ie: able to work across the board with jazz, country, blues, pop and classical are the definition of really great guitatists. There are those in Rock who can dip into some of these but often they are not able to plumb the depths of knowledge needed to pull it off. First let's define what it takes to mae on a truly GREAT guitarist vs. just a really GOOD one.
So you say, stop with the lecture and pass the recommendations. OK for my 2cents worth.
Not necessairly based on the above comments: Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Antonio Carlos Jobim, John Mclaughlin, Mark Knopfler, Norman Blake and Eddie van Halen. Each a Master in his realm.
 Pulse_Meddle
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/5/2006 11:41:39 PM

For those who would argue the likes of Kirk Hammett and Dave Gilmour being better, keep in mind Dream Theater have played shows where they perform entire albums by Metallica, Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd and Petrucci handles it all without breaking a sweat.

Its the Fact that these Guitar players came up with each riff that goes into each of these songs that make them such great people... Just because someone else can copy them doesn't mean they are great guitar players. Besides if someone didn't come up with it in the first place then they couldn't play it could they? Well maybe they could but they would first have to come up with it. You brin up alot of good names for great guitar players. I believe that a great guitar player Masters the guitar in which most guitar players the Guitar Masters the guitar player. The thing is the guitar is never ending with its sounds and all Distortion.. To be the person that breaks a mold and brings in a new sound with it wether it be a fast riff/solo or just a unique sound that you have come up with.. Something that can be catchy or anything else. There are so many things that can be said on the guitar and its greatest players. Mind you I said Its Greatest players. Because it has so many not just one. I could come out and name tons of guitar players that come to mind when I think of the Greatest but to me the guitar itself is the greatest player because it can bring up such a question and have a million Ideas to it. I could sit here and go on and on.. you bring up anything to this entry and I will just read and consume because.. It could be true and all.. Facts are always nice and its never to late to learn something new that I don't know. Exsply about guitar.. I love the guitar Dearly and It is my passion as it is for many.. I love music... I studie it Night and day just about.. I can't play worth a damn but I still love to try. I love this topic.. i've seen it every where. and you know.. everyone is right... everyone will have there own opinion on there fav guitariest... We really need a guitar guy smily here.
 magsplus
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2006 1:32:58 AM
There are so many - but my favourites are GArry Moore and BOTH of the Emmanuel boys. Love Phil playing classical.
 oddsocks
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/7/2006 6:20:58 AM
as big teddy boy comes on i just cant believe you all havent commented,big teddy nugent.
 majok
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/18/2006 11:36:50 AM
Not yelling...

dreamcatcher30, i've been playing for almost all my life.
i've learned how to play songs of everyone under the sun who's considered in the guitar world to be guitar-gods, but am always blown away when I play a few of Hendrix's material.
It blows my mind away and makes me think, "How the hell did he come up with this stuff?! It's so simple it's difficult!"
There are tonnes of guys (especially in L.A.) who spend 1000's of $$ to attend G.I.T (Guitar Institute of Technology - not to be confused with M.I.T) to learn how to shred (play a million notes per second) but none have even come close to the "emotion" and phrasing that Hendrix was able to do. Another guy similar to this is Stevie Ray Vaughn.

He could play one sustained vibrato note and literally bring you to tears. He could shred too but didn't need to.

Alot of the new guitarists like to put down Eddie Van Halen because, in their opinion he was a one trick pony. Sure, they can play 100 times faster than him, but what they are failing to realize is that 98% of the the techniques that they are employing to get their 'shred' on were not possible if the greatest rock guitar innovator of all time did not first venture into unchartered territory in the world of guitar. Most of us struggle to be the 'masters' of the instrument, these gents were able to make this piece of wood and six strings do their bidding, each and every time they plucked at the strings.

I would like to add another very worthy name to list of 'usuals'.
U2's THE EDGE is hands down the Einstein of rhythm (is that how you spell it?) guitarist of all time!!

Finally...
Lenny Breau (Canadian no doubt) is the greatest human being to have ever picked up the instrument!!!

That's is this Jamaican's opinion.....I gotta go practice....
 Pulse_Meddle
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/18/2006 12:03:58 PM
Majok I so agree.. Stevie Ray Vaughan is my fav guitariest. and he always will be. I mean I've seen shredders and all the wonderful fast playings of them and I still can't get anough of Stevies playing.. I believe he truly mastered the guitar. He was so clean with his playing while alot of great guitariest are sloppy players... I know that Jimi Hendrix wrote the song Little Wing but when Stevie redid it.. he basicly made it his I believe. because it is amazing. and can never get anough of it Little wing would be my fav song and I would rather listen to Stevies verison that Jimis thats just me.. Alson he basicly Electrofied(spelling) the blues to his level.. it was amazing.. .. It bothers me when guitar players of today put him down or any other guitar player of the past down. There is not reason for them to do so because the were the breaking points in which all guitar players of today play. I agree he could shred and the art of shredding is amazing yet not many shredders have rhythm in there playing and hardly ever play chords. Well maybe sweep chords. That by far is my fav post lol so far... because Stevie was brought up but it also shows that you know what you are talking about when it comes to the guitar. I don't know too much my self I've only been playing for 3 years. and I don't know as much as I would like to know.. Yet im still learning and I will always be learninh. Which is wonderful! Oh and Im glad you spelled his name right. lol most people spell his name Vaughn... bugs the crap out of me. but oh well.. I could go on.. haha but im at work and not suppost to be on so ima jet. they always gave credit to other guitariest too.. and never too much to themselves. Like someone would ask Hendrix how it felt to be the best guitar player in the world and he would most of the time responed like this.. Not the best in the world but how about the best sitting in this chair? Stevie would do the same. Gave tons of credit to Jimi, BB, Clapton, and you name it. hum Im going on alittle too long haha . later
 SUZANNEtheGREAT55
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/18/2006 5:37:12 PM
Rob E G, in the 60-70s Dont know much about him but Ive still got afew of his tunes on tape(cassette) The Atlantics, Surfing music, Shadows, folm scores.
or Tommy Emmanuel,,,,,,, In the past 20 years. i first saw Tommy play the guitar when he was about 8 or 9 touring with his folks, around the countryside of Western Australia.,
Of course Ive no idea who the others are except BB King, gives away my taste in music
 vandy010
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/19/2006 9:56:38 AM
i'm a jimmy page fan for sure!
so many others;- bb king, chet atkins, janis ian{yes! i did say janis ian!}, some asian bloke i saw/heard playing classical at a japanese resturant, the list is enless!
get ya butts over to byron bay next easter for the music festival and you won't know which way to look/listen because they'll be everywhere!
ciao!
 Pulse_Meddle
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/19/2006 10:20:25 AM
What ever happened to Slash? Or BucketHead? or anyone of that nature?
 Pulse_Meddle
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/20/2006 6:55:03 PM
You say create a riff? Is the Riff good? If it is then why not show more people? But maybe they don't think its good so they don't display it.. To create a New riff and it be truely good.. you usely show it to someone.. Not keep it to yourself.. If that is the case why keep it too yourself? Im not saying that there aren't millions of great ones out there playing in the homes but the fact is that all these guitar players that have there names out and are big is because there riffs that they came up with were so great that the world.. most of the world anyways loved them. Which then made them great guitariest!. Its like a great work of art.. The Main ones that people know are out there because they were amazing... If your that good at guitar.. then you should be known.. and if you aren't reconized(spelling) don't go complaining or saying that.. oh Im better than him... I just don't show it... then don't say that.. if you are then show it.. or im not going to believe you..
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > who do rate as the best guitarists in the world